Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-22-2013, 4:54 PM

Default Range report.... Springfield XD Tactical .45

I finally got a chance to get to my local indoor range this week for some quality time with my new XD Tactical .45. I put 200 rounds of American Eagle 230 grain through it with zero FTF's, FTE's or misfires. not that I expected any as these XD's have proven to be very reliable as far as my research prior to getting a hold of this pistol indicated. my only experience with XD's before this was shooting a friends' XD .45 with the 4" barrel. here is my assessment...

first thing to mention is that this is a full size pistol. this being the "tactical" model, it's got the 5" barrel which makes it even more substantial. being the wannabe operator I am, I am required to buy anything labeled as "tactical" especially if it's FDE or OD Green (as mine is..) which of coarse makes it shoot better. LOL... okay, I'm kidding. I liked the extra barrel length of the Tactical for a couple reasons. I felt it would reduce some muzzle flip as well as extending the sight radius for some additional accuracy. some say the extra barrel length adds to velocity, but I'm not sure that's a factor adding only 1". I traded a Glock 19 (yeah, i said it...) for this and the guy just happened to have the OD Green XD. I will admit that the color is awesome and gives the pistol a really cool vibe. I would have just as quickly taken a black one... the color was NOT a contributing factor. now that I have it, I will admit that it adds to the overall "cool factor" of the gun. so, again, this is a pretty meaty pistol.... unless your a really BIG individual, I doubt this would make a viable candidate for a concealed carry gun.

for being a full size pistol, I was very happy with the way it felt in my hand. I would say my hands are about medium size, so I generally don't like a big grip. for instance, I had a Beretta 92fs for a while and I couldn't get used to the size / width of the grip. just too big for me. while the XD grip is substantial, it's not "fat" which made it comfortable to get a good grip on. if you have large hands, it might be even more comfortable. if you have small hands, it might be a bit larger than you'll be comfortable with. of course it's best to try it out before buying, anyway. it feels really solid with no rattles, nothing loose, no strange gaps, sharp edges, finish inconsistencies, etc. seems to be very well made. nice, useful serrations on the slide front (for press checks if you do them...) and rear. standard 3 dot metal sights, comfortable magazine and slide releases and some useful safety features such as a round-in-chamber indicator, striker status indicator and grip safety. coming from the Glock world, I thought the grip safety would bother me, but I didn't find it a hindrance at all. also has a small rail section in the front for your "tacticool" add ons... light, lazer, etc. the melonite finish on the slide seems very durable as well. Melonite seems on par with the Glock Tenifer finish as far as I can tell.

the magazines are heavy duty, stainless steel and very well constructed. ever had a magazine where loading ammo was kind of rough? every time I load Glock magazines, it almost feels like there is a certain amount of binding going on internally. not to the point that it creates a problem, just my own personal observation. these XD mags are smooth and easy to load and just feel like they could withstand many thousands of rounds of use. I know Glock makes a polymer mag vs. these stainless steel mags and it's not apples to apples, but I really like the stainless steel XD mags a lot.

tear down for cleaning is a snap... the Glock is about the simplest take down in the world, and the XD has maybe one additional step. I love Glocks for their simplicity which I've always believed adds to reliability... the less parts, the less things to break or fail. while the XD has a few more internal parts, they've kept things simple enough as not to create problems down the road, IMO.

okay, now on to actually shooting the pistol..... the XD felt well balanced in my hand and the recoil / muzzle flip was VERY manageable. a real pleasure to shoot. I found my follow up shots were quick and accurate. the XD was quite accurate (see pics below..) and I have to say I've never shot a pistol I liked better. trigger is super smooth with a nice, crisp trigger break and reset. slide locked back solidly on every empty magazine.

overall, I'd say that I've definitely found my "go to" pistol. no pistol does it all, but if I had to grab just one in a SHTF situation, this would be it... very solid gun. this is my first XD, and I'll soon be adding a smaller, more compact model to my collection. my criteria for a good pistol is one that's dependable, simple to operate, durable and accurate. this XD Tactical .45 meets them all. check one out!!!!

target set at the 10 yard line
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ThE_LoNgShOt; 03-22-2013 at 5:08 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 4:58 PM

Awesome write up. The OD green looks pretty slick. I love my XD 9 and will be adding an XDs to my collection in the near future.
Old 03-22-2013, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not bad...not bad at all!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-22-2013, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not bad...not bad at all!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-22-2013, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice shooting... good grouping..
Old 03-22-2013, 6:31 PM

Good on you. I also love my XD but mine is a compact as that's what I carry. Nice grouping. It only gets better from here.
Old 03-22-2013, 9:56 PM
Resident Leg Humper
CGN Contributor

I have the same gun with over 1400 rnds thru it ZERO issues. I've become surgical with that *****.

Congrats man, enjoy.

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHShooter View Post
I have the same gun with over 1400 rnds thru it ZERO issues. I've become surgical with that *****.

Congrats man, enjoy.
I can see how you would.... I've never shot any pistol as well as I did this Tactical the first time I took them out. can't imagine how the groups will look in a few months!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

I recently purchased an xd. I can't say enough about it. Welcome to the club!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the range report. I have an XD9 service and have been thinking about adding an XD45 but wasn't sure if I should get the regular one or spend the few extra bucks and get the tactical. You've help me make my decision, going tactical.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 03-23-2013, 1:00 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Glad to hear you like your gun. I actually have an identical one that is my home defense weapon. I also use it to shoot CDP division in IDPA and L10 in USPSA.

I have to say that it is one of the softest shooting 45s that I've ever fired. My steel-framed Springfield 1911 has distinctly more recoil snap than the XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_LoNgShOt View Post
Melonite seems on par with the Glock Tenifer finish as far as I can tell.
I will actually admit that it isn't. The Glock finish is one of the most durable factory finishes out there. If you draw out of a kydex holster enough, the XD's finish will strip off much faster than a Glock's. But we're talking a LOT of draws out of the holster to achieve this (this is my original competition XD9 after about 10,000 rounds through it).

Old 03-23-2013, 1:00 AM

Anybody turn an XD into a comp pistol?

Message me if you have the following:

PreLock Smith & Wesson Revolvers
XDm 5.25 9/40/45

XDS mags
Old 03-23-2013, 1:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice groups!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJanowski View Post
Anybody turn an XD into a comp pistol?
Define "comp pistol." Do you mean an Open gun with optic and compensator, or just putting enough mods into it to make it effective in IDPA and USPSA Production division?
Old 03-24-2013, 8:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Good shooting!
Old 03-24-2013, 8:52 AM

Great write-up OP. Makes me really regret passing on one when it sat in the FS thread for weeks. Won't make that mistake again

Old 03-24-2013, 9:42 AM

Have the XD Tactical (in OD) in 40S&W, they are sweet shooters, nice shooting by the way.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Arg! Those OD XD 45 Tacs make me jealous! Mine's plain jane black, but it shoots every bit as nice. Glad more people are "discovering" this gem of a pistol.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
Arg! Those OD XD 45 Tacs make me jealous! Mine's plain jane black, but it shoots every bit as nice. Glad more people are "discovering" this gem of a pistol.
No... It's a FACT that the OD green shoots better than the black, but not quite as good as the FDE model! Lol. All kidding aside, I've never shot a pistol better than I shoot this one. It's got a permanent home with me for sure.

Last edited by ThE_LoNgShOt; 03-24-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

WTS: IMR4064, H335, H322, H4198
IWI TAVOR B16 FDE 5.56/.223
Old 03-26-2013, 1:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great post. I just purchased a black one that I can pick up this weekend. Already have a XD40 SC as EDC - love it. Also have an SA 1911-A1. So this is a great addition to the collection.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 PM

My dad has a xd 45 compact and it is a great gun it's has low recoil for a .45acp round and am I pretty accurate with it. Though he just bought a hk usp compact in .45 so I will see which one I like better this weekend.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM

XD 40 Tactical owner since 2007! It's one of my favorite pistol.

Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Old 03-27-2013, 2:37 AM

I'm also in the market for a XD40 Tactical..looking for one in FDE, but they are definitely harder to find.
Old 03-27-2013, 1:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the XD .40 4" version, love it so far, although I could use some serious work on my shooting to get a grouping anywhere near that.
Old 03-27-2013, 3:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post

I will actually admit that it isn't. The Glock finish is one of the most durable factory finishes out there. If you draw out of a kydex holster enough, the XD's finish will strip off much faster than a Glock's. But we're talking a LOT of draws out of the holster to achieve this (this is my original competition XD9 after about 10,000 rounds through it).

Sure the oxide coating came off, but the surface treatment should still be there!

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 03-27-2013, 4:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice shooting op! I have a XD 9 tactical that I LOVE. It has thousands of rounds down the pipe with no malfunctions at all. I love me some XD!