Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 03-22-2013, 7:41 AM

Question Some help for a computer challenged guy

My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop locks-up on AOL alot. How can I free-up Ram (if that is the problem, may not be able to add any memory)?

Aol has a little red heart for saving favorite sites, I have saved many, many sites does this use up memory?

I have another Dell Inspiron (9300?) without a monitor, computer works monitor gave up the ghost, how can I combine/connect these two laptops?

Any suggestions for a mid-range priced netbook web surfer?

Many Thanks

1911Tuner (That one's my own. I'm a rescuer. It's What I do.)
Old 03-22-2013, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

First!

Get rid of AOL it is a horrible program.

Do you still use Chat? If you do I understand why you keep it.. AOL is a very invasive program that eats up A LOT of RAM. Especially with their latest and greatest versions with all the nice GUI looks.. If you could run an older version of AOL without all the updates.. it wouldn't be so bad..

DUMP AOL and look into mIRC chat..

AOL is like a VIrus.. IMO
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

Last edited by Ninety; 03-22-2013 at 8:19 AM..
Old 03-22-2013, 8:57 AM

Those bookmarks aren't your problem. I would find a way to export (read: save) them somewhere else and have them backed up, and then stop using AOL altogether.

Would recommend that you look into buying a desktop these days, unless you need the portability the netbook/laptop provides.
Old 03-22-2013, 9:12 AM

Thanks guy's, The wife and I our mail on AOL. I'll try for an older version of AOL. Chrome loads without a problem, starting to go that route.

The netbook would be for wifi out and about, surfing (mail, favorite sites), showing clients pictures of work.

Old 03-22-2013, 9:15 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
how can I combine/connect these two laptops?
I don't know of a laptop that cannot be connected to an external monitor. It takes something to activate the external, my toshibas use F5.

I didn't know anyone still used aol.
Old 03-22-2013, 9:16 AM

Well, a couple questions, do you use AOL for your internet access or do you just like the AOL interface? Do you get your internet from the cable company?

If you get internet from your cable company (or any other company for that matter), you can ditch the AOL software and just go to AOL.com and access your email etc from that site.

Regarding combining the two systems in any fashion, negative.

I would suggest running this program here, http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.php

With that free application, use it to completely uninstall all the various AOL components. Then, if you still wish to use the AOL software, go to aol.com and download the latest version. http://daol.aol.com/software/

But the AOL software will consume a great deal of computer resources so if you can just use the AOL website for checking email , news etc etc, I would do that.

As far as a good web surfing computer, just keep your eyes on the Sunday ads for the Office Depot, Staples, Target etc. They usually have a simple computer for under $400.

You could also check your local craigslist or Costco.

Feel free to PM me offline if you have additional questions.

Mike
Old 03-22-2013, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy1911 View Post
I have another Dell Inspiron (9300?) without a monitor, computer works monitor gave up the ghost, how can I combine/connect these two laptops?
The simplest way would be to get a KVM (Keyboard, Video and Mouse) switch, it'll allow both your laptops to connect to external monitor, keyboard and mouse and you can switch between the 2 by toggling a switch on the KVM itself. I think some KVMs might have hot-keys you can press to toggle this too, not 100% sure.

Do you need the portability though? Laptops are money pits, I have many of them but that's because my employer buys them for me for work use. They tend to wear out quickly and can overheat if you put too much load on them, plus their parts can't be easily replaced. They're also environmental nightmares because they typically cannot be reused, unlike a Desktop where you can swap out the motherboard and keep most of the parts.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Thanks Guys,

The monitor was shot on the 9300 Inspiron so my Nephew (a game player) gave the laptop to me to play with. I removed the laptops monitor and hooked the keyboard up to my wife old, old monitor. If I take the battery from one and use it in the other I can get on line (for a while anyway). Maybe a waste of time, just though the two running together would solve some problems.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM

If you're Interested, I'm prepping a Mac Book 1st gen in Black w/ 500gb Hard drive 4gb ram, OSX 10.6.8 for sale. I will say that I am traditionally a Windows guy and use Windows for work, but when it comes to stability nothing beats a Mac.

I'm on board with everyone else here - if you use Aol for email that's fine just check it online, or use an email client like Outlook to check and organize your email.

I also agree with PC_Load_Letter, you can has a new PC these days for sub $500. As far as your other computer, you might as well pull the drive out, put it into a external case, and access the data as an external/slave drive.

That will cost you the same (or less) as a KVM dongle and who really wants to have more than 1 computer these days...

Good luck!

NEW Plantronics Voyager Legend Bluetooth headset for sale
Old 03-23-2013, 7:27 AM

Thanks deephouse, I may have spent a little two much for the Dell 9200, we upgraded the monitor (1080?). Getting tired of restarting, running defrag., clean, clear cach,...

Interesting thing this computer has aways been on AC and at a desk.

Are all netbooks overpriced junk? My wife has a new iPad, kinda nice to walk around and show large pictures to people. It's her toy and I do not play with it.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Get a Mac! All issues described above solved!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous216 View Post
"Get another computer" is not a valid answer to "how do I fix my computer."
Old 03-28-2013, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous216 View Post
GTFO

Quote:
My Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop locks-up on AOL alot. How can I free-up Ram (if that is the problem, may not be able to add any memory)?
AOL is an obsolete software, I would recommend ditching it ASAP. I would recommend Google Chrome, or Firefox. You can export your favorites using these instructions and import them into Chrome using these instructions.

Quote:
Aol has a little red heart for saving favorite sites, I have saved many, many sites does this use up memory?
No, saving favorite's doesn't use up memory.

Quote:
It would be very difficult to do that. I don't think it's a viable option.

Quote:
Any suggestions for a mid-range priced netbook web surfer?
Netbooks are extremely slow. If size is really a concern, you can get a ultrabook, but you can get a much faster computer for cheap if you buy a full size laptop, or even a desktop.