Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM

Exclamation 10 years ago, today...

I was a junior enlisted US Marine infantry scout, serving in a reconnaissance unit. My fellow Marines and I were part of 1st Marine Division's Regimental Combat Team 5.

I can remember crossing the "line of departure" as the invasion of Iraq began. Roughly 3 weeks later, we were fighting for Baghdad. Little did any of us know what we were getting into at that time...

There are likely many here on CalGuns that were also there, and who also can clearly remember where they were and what they were doing when the invasion of Iraq had begun.

Thankfully though, 10 years later, the conflict is over and done with. But, sadly, now there are many service members, and their families, who are still living with the aftermath of their service in that particular combat theater. So, for the 10th anniversay of the invasion of Iraq, I want to commemorate today and make sure we remember those that were killed in action or were wounded in action during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Fair winds and following seas. Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil

Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 03-19-2013 at 1:05 PM.. Reason: Better artwork...
Old 03-19-2013, 2:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thank you all for your service!
Old 03-19-2013, 2:41 PM

Oorah, Devil Dog!

"We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?"
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff
during the assault on Grenada, 1983
Old 03-20-2013, 6:52 PM

Never forget.....
Old 03-20-2013, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

A big thank you to all that have served !

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM

The last 12 years have been a blur. Thanks brothers for all you've done and continue to do...
Old 03-22-2013, 1:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Semper Fidelis, Brother! Thank you for your service.

Old 03-22-2013, 4:02 PM

Thank you.
"You are not forgotten"

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 03-22-2013, 4:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

we are the ones who will never forget the Iraq War. Americans in general will forget this war not by there own volition but by the media and schools not teaching them of this war. Americans in general will never ever hear of the good work that the US military did there only the negative will be published and heard.

being there from Oct 05 to Sept 06 I will never forget my time in Iraq in my lifetime. the Iraq war was my war to put the demons away that I had for 14 years after Desert Storm. there is nothing more painful than being sent home for an injury and saying goodbye to those going to Saudi Arabia.

I will never forget as I stepped off the plane in Kuwait after that those demons were put to rest never to return.

if anyone here did not get deployed that wanted to go do not beat yourself up over it I did that not all the time but I did.

and for all of my brothers and sisters who served in Iraq we will never forget.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-22-2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
we are the ones who will never forget the Iraq War. Americans in general will forget this war not by there own volition but by the media and schools not teaching them of this war. Americans in general will never ever hear of the good work that the US military did there only the negative will be published and heard.

being there from Oct 05 to Sept 06 I will never forget my time in Iraq in my lifetime. the Iraq war was my war to put the demons away that I had for 14 years after Desert Storm. there is nothing more painful than being sent home for an injury and saying goodbye to those going to Saudi Arabia.

I will never forget as I stepped off the plane in Kuwait after that those demons were put to rest never to return.

if anyone here did not get deployed that wanted to go do not beat yourself up over it I did that not all the time but I did.

and for all of my brothers and sisters who served in Iraq we will never forget.
Thanks for sharing your journey. I am glad that you got to put many of your demons to rest. That must have been an intense yet uplifting feeling leaving the Persian Gulf for a second time, knowing that your demons were finally put to rest. That must have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience for you.

I personally believe that many things that the American people believe about Operation Iraqi Freedom will be set straight in 2028. Many things that happened leading up to, and during, the invasion of Iraq in 2003, were classified and those events won't be entered into the public domain until 2028 (thanks to EO 12958; which was later superseded by EO 13526). After that time, when those documents start getting released into the public domain, I think the American people will have more appreciation for what transpired during OIF, and appreciate the sacrifices that were made and the great deeds that were accomplished because of the hard work and determination of the US Armed Services. Just like how people now view the Vietnam War differently, versus how they did in the years immediately following that conflict. I think the same thing will happen with OIF. Or at least I hope and pray that's the case. --1911ShooterPhil
Old 03-22-2013, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

i was driving a truck loaded with 155mm shells...
attached to B 1/11

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Mista, shukran!

Lol, remember all the kids with their thumbs up? I seem to remember that it was supposed to be like them giving us the finger, but they were smiling so who knows!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks to all who served and are serving still.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-23-2013, 5:51 PM

This is where LAR was a force to be reckoned with...Not so much anymore
Apache Company
Old 03-23-2013, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

thank you for your service to our country.
Old 04-26-2013, 6:29 PM

CSSB-10, attached to 1st Marine Division, Baghdad and beyond. One of the few units (CSSC-101) that went to Tikrit along with all of LAR (3 Battalions). I dont even know what day I crossed the border, sometime between 19-21 March, I ended up in Tikrit in Late April I think. Who knows, all the days were a blur.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider510 View Post
Mista, shukran!

Lol, remember all the kids with their thumbs up? I seem to remember that it was supposed to be like them giving us the finger, but they were smiling so who knows!
Mista! Bush good! I like bush! You have candy?

We used to give them all the charms lol it was bad luck to eat them anyways.

I did my time in 04-05 with RCT-1. The streets of Fallujah. By far one of the most frightening and god awful places on earth. Anyone who says they weren't scared is nuts.

Hopefully they remember what we did there in future generations as more than just killing bad guys. I spent more time traing the first groups of the iasf and helping people than pulling the trigger. Everyone that had to pull will always be a little different though.
Old 04-30-2013, 7:17 PM

Thank you for your service. I salute you Sir.