Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-19-2013, 2:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
ETA: Nice iTrader feedback by the way.
This^^^^

The OP should focus on deleting his account, starting new one and living up to a positive itrader rating. 2 Negatives is a big problem. JMO

And yes, it matters.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

No! I'll hoard whatever I can.
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocog2181 View Post
Lets all stop buying everything and let the market settle back down.
No.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:48 PM

I always have more money than ammo so I figured I'd be able to outbuy the rookies if I had to. I haven't had any issues with getting what I need at decent prices provided I buy in bulk. Trolling retail stores for hours on end only to end up empty handed doesn't sound like much fun.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:49 PM

I was limited to five cases of stingers today, there were six behind the counter. I bought three cuz the guy behind me wanted some to. So I only got 150 rounds
Old 03-19-2013, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor*Cal View Post
A month? You really think that 1 month is all that is needed to fill all of the retailers and distributors that have been wiped out of all their inventory?

Indeed.

That being said there's another factor at work on all of this; in non-liberal states the ammo situation is improving. There's still limits on how much one can buy but thing ARE easing up.

To compare, the situation in California and other gun control strongholds will only deteriorate with time. The antis have made it clear ammunition is one of their targets , and folks logically will buy every bullet they can get before Big Government shuts down the party with fees and permit denials. Ammo in California by this time next year will be cheap and plentiful; because only the brave and the elite will be legally permitted to buy any.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ok, this was harder than I thought. You can't explain economics to people who don't remotely understand it.
You're right. I'm the one with the economics degree, so I'll let you figure out what camp you're in.

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns (some off-roster), C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knomad View Post
I completely agree with the OP. I have a minor in economics, and I'm here to tell you that this behavior is irrational and counterproductive. As a collective group, we're acting like a bunch of emotional little kids and we would benefit from taking a deep breath.

Its very simple. If most of us show a little restraint then supply and demand get back in balance after a while, price gouging becomes non productive, and prices stop going up. Kids working at WM stop buying ammo before we even see it because they can no longer resell at a premium.

As for whoever asked if we'd buy and leave some on the shelf, my answer is yes. That's what I did yesterday with 45 acp, and it's what I did last week with 357 sig. I buy only enough to replace what I shoot.

I still have anywhere from 100 to 450 rounds of most calibers I shoot, almost all of it purchased prior to November and supplemented a couple of boxes at a time in an attempt to replace what I've used for practice. I have been forced to cut my practice in half because of the difficulty of finding 9mm, although finally I'm starting to see some again.

Think about it. If you were against guns, what better way than to fabricate false panics and then sit back and laugh as a bunch of grown men run to the store and pay inflated prices for ammo until none is left, while screaming that the sky is falling?
The thought that if you buy only a little bit so that the supply is left for others to buy, will increase the supply, that is false. The demand is still present and if you don't buy it, someone else will.

This type of behavior is consistent with those mass texts/threads saying "don't buy gas on the 19th because then oil companies will feel the pain of people not buying their product!". If you don't buy gas on the 19th, but you're on "E", guess what... you're going to buy gas on the 20th.

In order to alleviate this shortage, EVERYONE would need to not buy ammo for a significant amount of time, not just leave some on the shelf for the next guy to buy. But thats clearly not going to happen. It will also take a significant amount of time for the ammo supply to be in stock before prices go back down to pre-panic prices. I think this price increase may have set the bar for future ammo prices because now manufactures know that people will still buy at elevated prices. Prices may still go up and it isn't until a breaking point is reached that ammo will be left on the shelves due to it being priced too high. Some LGS's may reduce ammo prices once supply is absolutely back in check, but will only slowly reduce ammo prices because "why not"?
Old 03-19-2013, 2:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I need some more popcorn and hit the head.. .... could you all just hold on a minute so I don't miss anything? Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkside View Post
What an awesome thread... full of nonsense. So glad in all your wisdom you see it fit to give others instruction on how to bring the ammo economy back around. How about I give you the same advice and YOU stop buying ammo completely seeing I use it in the course of my job so what I need it for is more important than what you need it for.

Someone said Buy Cheap,Stock Deep... I say "out of you - not a peep"

This will only come back to a normal price when we get these morons out of office.

Seeing you are so well versed in economy specifics.. can you tell us how to fix the 4 dollar + gas seeing how no other aspects of production has changed...

Simple, look at the revenue big oil is raking every year. Figure it out.
Old 03-19-2013, 2:56 PM

I ask all of you to stop buying beer so I can drink for less on the change I have left after buying ammo.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:01 PM

Speaking of hoarding.... UPS just arrived!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 574448_10151447198562969_1176973735_n.jpg (57.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz265 View Post
I ask all of you to stop buying beer so I can drink for less on the change I have left after buying ammo.
DO you even make sense to yourself?lol
Old 03-19-2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:
DO you even make sense to yourself?lol
Using your immense wisdom, I figured that if YOU and EVERYBODY ELSE would simply stop buying beer, for only ONE MONTH, then the price will drop so low that I could drink for a fraction of what I spend now.

Follow?
Old 03-19-2013, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Speaking of hoarding.... UPS just arrived!

That's like $900 worth....
Old 03-19-2013, 3:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Using your immense wisdom, I figured that if YOU and EVERYBODY ELSE would simply stop buying beer, for only ONE MONTH, then the price will drop so low that I could drink for a fraction of what I spend now.

Follow?
There is no way the OP can stop drinking or smoking the crack based off of post #1.

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns (some off-roster), C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:06 PM

I believe it is safe to assume most people here aren't hoarding.

Hell, most people aren't even able to find it to be able to hoard it.

I have approx 2,000 rounds total for 3 (very soon to be 5) guns in 3 different calibers.

I would LIKE to have 2,000 rounds per caliber, but at these prices that's not going to happen.

Of course this was either purchased pre-stupid days, reloads, or purchased at negotiated pre-stupid prices.

I won't stop and you can't make me.

=^)
Old 03-19-2013, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This belongs in ammo reloading or general gun dicsussions.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:

Follow?
OK, I don't even know why you would even draw that comparison. Makes no sense.

Old 03-19-2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiontrails View Post
That's like $900 worth....
500 actually, tax free and free shipping. Still high but it feeds the habit. I don't hoard. I SHOOT.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:14 PM

Default CALIFORNIA....CALIFORNIA.......

SIr....
I haven't found ammo in ages but then again I have "hoarded" for awhile.
This shortage will remain until California passes all the ammo laws it has on the books with the Democratic super majority. We will be the most restrictive gun state in the union and ammo will be hard to buy and scarce as it is now.
We won't be able to mail order and multiple trips to Arizona and Nevada might be our only option.
So I am one that will definitely buy more ammo for all I can afford. I will not be caught with my pants down and be required to register everytime I buy a brick of .22.
So your pleas will fall on deaf ears in KALI

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Just spoke to one of my friends which of whom works for a reputable ammo manufacturer. Basically, ammo is still being produced in the same numbers as it has historically, however, hoarders are the reason to blame for this "Shortage". People need to refrain from purchasing such large amounts of ammo and storing it as if they are going to go to war. Those people which of whom are hoarding are throwing off and fabricating a shortage that should not exist. Prices are at an all time high and hoarders are promoting this behavior by buying all the ammo they can possibly get their hands on.

This is just a public service announcement to let people know who is really causing this so called shortage. Also, AWB has fallen out of senate and put on the back burner by the democrats. So, no more scare of an AWB for now.

Lets all stop buying everything and let the market settle back down.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
OK, I don't even know why you would even draw that comparison. Makes no sense.

oh boy......: facepalm:
Old 03-19-2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
I believe it is safe to assume most people here aren't hoarding.

Hell, most people aren't even able to find it to be able to hoard it.

I have approx 2,000 rounds total for 3 (very soon to be 5) guns in 3 different calibers.

I would LIKE to have 2,000 rounds per caliber, but at these prices that's not going to happen.

Of course this was either purchased pre-stupid days, reloads, or purchased at negotiated pre-stupid prices.

I won't stop and you can't make me.

=^)
I didn't make you do anything. I'm informing you of a potential solution. Spend your money as you please. You worked for it. Your just going to have to work much harder to satisfy your ammo needs.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:17 PM

Quote:
500 actually, tax free and free shipping. Still high but it feeds the habit. I don't hoard. I SHOOT.
Unless you live in a sales tax free state, you're still supposed to report the use tax
Old 03-19-2013, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

OP has started at least 6 threads in the last 3 months trying too sell or trade ammo.
OP is not hoarding ammo, he is 'flipping' it. Buy low, sell high, good economics...
Old 03-19-2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
OP has started at least 6 threads in the last 3 months trying too sell or trade ammo.
OP is not hoarding ammo, he is 'flipping' it. Buy low, sell high, good economics...
If you look closely, I sold everything for less than current mkt value because I no longer shoot that caliber. Bad economics on my end for that.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhrdgr2 View Post
Unless you live in a sales tax free state, you're still supposed to report the use tax
Yeah, I'm pulling out the forms to do that RIGHT NOW. Thanks for the reminder.....
Old 03-19-2013, 3:21 PM

Default NO THEY WON'T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Many of the "new" panic buyers are running up their credit cards to buy this stuff. They will flood the market with it when the bills come due.
Low interest and low cost of major consumer items such as computers and big screen TV's have freed of disposable income to go to other things ie. guns and ammo.
Its not like these folk can't afford ammo. They just weren't buying it before and now they are.
Once you buy a gun your hooked. It is hard to part with....especially knowing how much you spent and how hard they were to get.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
ETA: Nice iTrader feedback by the way.
A negative feedback from Ernie?

I thought that I would see Feinstein herself saying that there should be a Bushmaster in every home before I saw that.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pulling out the forms to do that RIGHT NOW. Thanks for the reminder.....
LOL!!! What a good citizen you are!!

What one may call hoarding is not to another shooter. All depends on how much you shoot. I got in to the game Jan of last year and was told to have enough ammo to shoot 6 months to a year. 100 rounds per range trip and 4 times a month equals to 4800 rounds per year per caliber. I'm good for this year and have not bought any after Sandy Hook. I now reload and was prepared prior to the craze too. Hopefully that will keep me actively shooting till inventory catches up. Just need 500-1000 more .30 175 grain SMK and I'm good for the year for Precision rifle shooting practice and matches.

Old 03-19-2013, 3:25 PM

Hey I was hoarding well before the panic......so I ain't hurtin' nobody.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoutxkastx View Post
What one may call hoarding is not to another shooter. All depends on how much you shoot. I got in to the game Jan of last year and was told to have enough ammo to shoot 6 months to a year. 100 rounds per range trip and 4 times a month equals to 4800 rounds per year per caliber. I'm good for this year and have not bought any after Sandy Hook. I now reload and was prepared prior to the craze too. Hopefully that will keep me actively shooting till inventory catches up. Just need 500-1000 more .30 175 grain SMK and I'm good for the year for Precision rifle shooting practice and matches.

A nice start..... But you have some work to do. Git 'er done!
Old 03-19-2013, 3:27 PM

Quote:
LOL!!! What a good citizen you are!!
Jerry Brown needs his choo choo train and I aim to see that he gets it!
Old 03-19-2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Simple, look at the revenue big oil is raking every year. Figure it out.
My question wasnt in regards to revenue. My question was seeing you know how to bring around ammo costs with your plan, what is your plan to do it with fuel.

Im pretty sure you and "minor in economics boy" are slightly off. Regardless of the quantity we plan to purchase, as long as there is ANY DEMAND more than usual than the prices will stay inflated.

Many manufacturers HAVE NOT raised their cost and it is being inflated at retailers. Magpul stated that have not raised their cost to retailers one cent but find a 13.00 pmag.

Keep up with your theories, I am sure you will get one right.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

I'll do what I want with my ammo thank you very much....
Old 03-19-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoutxkastx View Post
100 rounds per range trip and 4 times a month equals to 4800 rounds per year per caliber.
100 rounds per range trip? I must be an addict because I shoot around 300-500 rounds every range trip...though I only get to go once a month these days. I guess if I still was going 4 times a month, I would only be shooting 100 to 200 each time.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
My question wasnt in regards to revenue. My question was seeing you know how to bring around ammo costs with your plan, what is your plan to do it with fuel.

Im pretty sure you and "minor in economics boy" are slightly off. Regardless of the quantity we plan to purchase, as long as there is ANY DEMAND more than usual than the prices will stay inflated.

Many manufacturers HAVE NOT raised their cost and it is being inflated at retailers. Magpul stated that have not raised their cost to retailers one cent but find a 13.00 pmag.

If you cant analyse that factor, you won't understand period. Its a fairly complex topic.

Last edited by Ocog2181; 03-19-2013 at 3:37 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:

I agree it's Economics 101 of supply and demand. Totally agree the manufacturers have not raised there prices. Most of their cost is calculated and contracts are made in advance. With inventory not meeting demand the increase in prices could come from the distributor, retailer, and private party.
Old 03-19-2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
I'm a farily new owner. I bought my first 22 rifle late summer 2011, then my first Glock winter 2011. In Winter 2011 through summer 2012, I shot a lot (I guess a lot is a relative term). By the end of summer, I started shooting less not because of a belief in an up coming shortage, but because life. I just got busy with other things. With that said, I still shoot about once a month as unfortunately that is all the time I have for these days.

Becareful about posting "guarantees" unless you have the actual facts to back that up. That statement was just bravado.
I have owned guns for a long time but I don't shoot too often because I can't afford to spend $100+ a month on ammo + range fees.