Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-17-2013, 8:18 AM

Thumbs down Hoarders buried alive-

Hope this isn't bashing but I have a smile on my face as I see the gougers being stuck with ammo and stripped lowers on the classifieds. Nothing wrong with stockpiling and keep few spare lowers on hand but trying to buy stuff,gouge,flip, rip, or take advantage of the situation ain't cool. Not to mention, it is contributing to the panic! Hope I don't get bashed or banned for expressing peasant's opinion.
Old 03-17-2013, 8:42 AM

I like to think we'll be seeing a lot of discounts soon I also have a short list of people I won't deal with
Old 03-17-2013, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

After each panic comes a round of lower prices and discounting. I haven't bought any guns or ammo in months; when things calm down I'll start shopping again.
Old 03-17-2013, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
Hope this isn't bashing but I have a smile on my face as I see the gougers being stuck with ammo and stripped lowers on the classifieds. Nothing wrong with stockpiling and keep few spare lowers on hand but trying to buy stuff,gouge,flip, rip, or take advantage of the situation ain't cool. Not to mention, it is contributing to the panic! Hope I don't get bashed or banned for expressing peasant's opinion.
Don't take this as bashing, but in a free market you don't have a right to purchase products at a price you feel is fair. It's early bird gets the worm.

How would you feel if after a major disaster people posted threads like "I love the way the ill prepared are starving" or "Just shot my fifth looter!"?
Old 03-17-2013, 9:52 AM

I've been saving for a while now for when people dump off all there stuff...

Going to try and get my 22lr pile to 100k

It's rediculous how expensive it got
Old 03-17-2013, 9:57 AM

Yea, I'm with you Mp5marley, it's not bashing just kind on funny. It puts a smile on my face as well. I understand the "Free Market" and how it works. A fool and his money are soon separated.

I think it's funny to see PSA LPK's w/o trigger control groups going for $100+/- and PSA has them in stock for $59 and people still buying then for $100, "I'll take it".

Before long there will be a ton of .22, .223, 9mm, lowers, LPK's and BCG's. on the market for cheap.

Last edited by 5.56Geo; 03-17-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Here we go again....
People should have listened and prepared instead of waiting for supply to evaporate.
Demand outstrips supply, prices go up. that simple.
If the market states the Glock 17 I bought 3 years ago for 450.00 is now worth 650.00 because people are willingly jumping over each other to pay that price than that is what it is worth. Demand drops, it returns to 'normal". Demand disappears, value drops even more. That simple.

I'm proud to be a hoarder. But serious hoarders contribute nothing to this panic or contribute to the demand. We had all our guns, mags and tons of ammo long before the panic and the upsurge in prices. We listened, we saw the writing on the wall. All this was so bloody predictable. Nor have we really bought a dang thing since the inception of the panic, so we are not the one's fueling demand.

There may be other factors as well. People could be grabbing every 50 round box they can find because of looming ammo laws in this Constitution hating state.
Pricing on AR's AK's and such include not just the high demand, but people are selling items they may never be able to replace. Adds a premium.. I know I keep that in mind. No sale, big deal, back in the safe.
Then there's the looming long gun registration coming up in the face of a panic.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i do not see them ever losing money on their stockpile worst case they can break even
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM

I'm glad I stocked up way before this madness. Hopefully people will stop paying this ridiculous prices for ammo so maybe we can get back to normal.
Old 03-17-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
I've sold a lot of stuff lately at "gouger" pricing.. not sure where people draw the line? Is it "gouging" to charge top dollar for something I bought for myself, to keep, that I might not be able to replace?

Is it gouging to sell something I ordered a month ago, intended to keep, that *can* be replaced, just not sure when, for top dollar? The buyer *could* just get in line and wait, or effectively pay *me* to give up my "bird in the hand" for cash today..

Im not talking about emptying the sheves at wally-world.. im pretty sure some of the worst offenders are gun shops operating on the fringes..

Im not confident that there will be a massive supply and re-pricing on ammo, people are willing to pay $.50 a round for 9mm, so it might stabilize at whatever wal-mart is currently charging, but wal-mart isnt a monastery.. having been in the auto-parts biz before, ive seen them sell below cost for a while just to kill the competition, then jack prices hard when they're the only game in town. Im specifically speaking about motor oil.. when other retailers buying in quantity were paying $.90 a quart, wally-world was selling in my hometown @ $.65 per quart.. no way their discount was that big.. after a few months, it crept up to $1.25.. higher than it started.. most parts stores at the time sold oil for right about cost, to get you to buy filters, air fresheners, etc there..
Old 03-17-2013, 2:08 PM

It will be interesting to see what it does to prices on the classifieds everywhere when prices drop to normal again. I know there has been a HUGE upsurge in reloading. First time I recall of where many reloader companies are backordered on presses and dies!! When ammo supplies and prices get back to where there should be, how many of the new reloaders will just start buying ammo again? Will the new presses get thrown on the market and will there be such a glut of used equipment that you see their value drop some. Dillon stuff usually retains a pretty high percentage due to their lifetime warranty....has not been unusual to see used ones go for 75% the cost of a new one.
Old 03-17-2013, 3:13 PM

I personally don't think it's going to go back to normal untill these new california firearm proposals are settled. If some of these proposals get passed this might just be the beginning of a larger panic before they become law. Not a nation wide panic, but at least a California Buying frenzy. There are Too many unknowns right now. I sure hope I am wrong.
Old 03-17-2013, 3:14 PM

I put off buying far too long and then had to make a choice. What's the min I have to buy in to be safe if there are bans. I bought a lower for about 60 bucks more than it would have sold for before the mania. Worst case is I'm out 60 bucks. Best case is the market will be flooded with cheap stuff by summer. As far as ammo etc I may unload some as I have a ton and now is a good time to do that. I may able to buy an upper just on what I sell my excess ammo. I have a reloader so I can make all I need no matter what happens.
Old 03-17-2013, 3:20 PM

I see nothing wrong with stockpiling what you want.

But speculation is another beast - pure greed - never sad to see them lose.
Old 03-17-2013, 4:17 PM

I've sold a bunch of stuff lately that I bought in Nov. It wasn't exactly a secret there was going to be a run on components.

Fat chance things will go 'cheap'. I got 30k small rifle primers. Think they'll cost me less to replace next year? Is that how it works? Because I look at threads from a few years ago, and oddly things were cheaper then.
Old 03-17-2013, 4:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

two kinds of people on this issue, those that understand and accept the free market and those that don't
Old 03-17-2013, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

It's like the elections all over again.
Old 03-17-2013, 4:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I stockpile. But I did most of it 10+ years ago. Still have plenty of most things.
I kinow all about the free market but dislike the greed, rip and run types.

I have only bought a few items since the panic started and only at non-panic prices.

J-Shot-----Sorry but I would have no problem shooting looters. I might not post about it. However they could be stacked up in my yard and I would not feel a bit sorry for them. I have worked way too hard all my life to just stand by and let others take it or destroy it.
The starving people may be another thing.
Old 03-17-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
dude people bashed the crap out of you on your previous post about "boycotting

gougers", you should just be banned for whining so much
Old 03-17-2013, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

The starving people will be looting.

It's like with everything in life, the have nots will want what the haves have. Except when the have nots outnumber the haves, and they are hungry, they will form mobs to take it by force.

The only saving grace is a hope the have nots did not prepare in the way of guns and ammo.

I'm really sick of people coming here and complaining about something over which they had full control, but chose not to pursue.
Old 03-17-2013, 5:49 PM

So sad! Like everything else, those that save for rainy days are always looked upon by the less fortunate or in ill prepared... No winners! At the end, it will be survival of the fittest. I used to think Doomsday Preppers were CRAZY!!!! Guess they will get the last laugh when the Zombies bite my arm off!!
Old 03-17-2013, 6:46 PM

I dont care for gougers but IMO it does show that most here arent your friends if they want to bend you over at any chance to rip you off,

I myself dont need anything at inflated prices and wont take part of the buying frenzy but some feel that they must buy that last box of ammo in the classifieds right now so they can sit on it.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Some may loot for food but the riots that have happened in the past show that the looters are taking TV's(the bigger the better),high dollar tennis shoes(any size),jewerly, etc. So it is not a matter of them being so hungery they must loot. They also tend to torch the buildings and it is not for a large BBQ.

Looters just shoot them.

Greedy sellers just do not buy from them.

That makes it pretty simple.

Just do not be a Johney-come-lately and stock up when the supply is better and the prices are also.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

LA Riots looters were not faced with a natural disaster. They looted for the free excrement. When an 8.3 earthquake hits, watch out.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
i do not see them ever losing money on their stockpile worst case they can break even
Hope so. I still have a grunch of commercial .45ACP from the Great Ammo Drought of '09-'10. I started reloading & just stashed it. I MIGHT break even if I sold it at $.50/round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:24 PM

The only thing about the ammo being scarce is that its affecting how often I go to the range. I'm sitting on a lot of old ammo stocked up...still can't replace what I shoot if I did. I'm sitting tight and waiting for this to calm down.
Old 03-17-2013, 7:28 PM

buckle down and ride out the wave.

FOR SALE-> STEEL PEPPER POPPER TARGETS

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-17-2013, 8:18 PM

Did anyone watch the walking dead tonight? The governor had a reloader!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

WTS: IMR4064, H335, H322, H4198
IWI TAVOR B16 FDE 5.56/.223
Old 03-17-2013, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Didn't read through all the posts but if it hasn't been said yet the title should be changed. I don't think any hoarders are getting burned right now. Hoarders are those that buy ammo and hoard it. I think you're referring to the guys that buy ammo at normal prices and try to resell it for a profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 03-17-2013, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

I've been hearing about guys getting stuck with their rifles, lowers and ammo since January but I don't buy it. I haven't seen it yet. Those selling at premium prices have had to come down a smidge to sell it. Although there are some die hards out there still trying to sell a 6920 for 2800 and in the ammo sales 1k for 900. Glws....
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 PM

I wasn't a shooter back in 94 or 08. This is my first 'panic' and I have some stuff on hand to last me a few more months. If stuff goes back to normal I will have a 1+ years worth of supply instead of the 6 months I have now. I haven't bough anything in 2 months so still a few k in .22 left but running low on pre panic 9mm.
Old 03-18-2013, 7:01 AM

Quote:
I used to think Doomsday Preppers were CRAZY!!!! Guess they will get the last laugh when the Zombies bite my arm off!!
Or when they get a handout because, for some reason, they can't seem to afford their mortgages - which, if they remember correctly, were supposed to be worth more than the paper they were printed on.
Old 03-18-2013, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
I like to think we'll be seeing a lot of discounts soon I also have a short list of people I won't deal with
I think short list should become a sticky so everyone can add to it.
Old 03-18-2013, 7:34 AM

I fall into the category of "hoarder" when the price is right. When I do get a decent amount of funds then I purchase the components. To be honest I've been reloading since the early 90's. Mid-90's had it's share of certain components buy up but the first term of NObama was the big wake up call for me since I had a feeling he would win a second term. Well here we are, everyone is in a "panic buying" mode. It does not help too that DHS is purchasing large amount of ammo and production is trying to keep up with demand. I would not pay certain "over inflated" prices nowadays. The most I pad for my AR is $600 and it's a Colt per-ban when they were going for $1,200 during the Clinton era. The most I paid for a handgun is under $300. These are Ruger, Beretta, and S&W brands. I wait patiently for a bargain to come my way...
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:

We'll be buying that junk up for a few cents off the dollar lower than retail as soon as the CC bills come due. It's where all my other ammo came from....
Old 03-18-2013, 3:52 PM

Not to throw off topic, but the real price gougers are the OIL COMPANIES!!! Supply and demand...if they wanted, they could charge 9 bucks a gallon and we would still pay for it.
Old 03-18-2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:

Free market. Perhaps this you should educate yourself in basic economics. Despite all of this, there has been MANY threads relating to price gouging. You are waisting everyone's time.
Old 03-18-2013, 4:13 PM

Sorry for waisting everyone's time! As a result of my poor judgement, next round of ammo is on me at the bar.
Old 03-18-2013, 4:52 PM

Market psychology is certainly fascinating as are complete wastes of time.

I'm fine with a clearly stated price... then you choose. (Big boy pants required here)

What I find interesting is market place ads where they have a list of inflated priced items for sale/trade, followed by a list of items they will not pay inflated prices for.... like 22lr, primers and certain Mags. Just the kind of horsetrader everyone would like to complete a transaction with.

On the other had I feel kind of bad for the people who do not even get 75% of the value out of their sale (not market savvy or no research?). Lucky for them they don't care much of their loss. They value keeping their word more.