Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-15-2013, 3:48 PM

Default Pistol transfer question/help/advice

Long story short, I purchased a Glock 22 lower frame assembly (no upper assembly) from an online auction. The frame has been delivered to my local FFL. I went to go do the paper work but my FFL just found out that I can't purchase an incomplete pistol unless I'm LEO. My question is if this is true? And if it is true, is there any thing that can be done so that I can legally obtain this lower frame? Any help and/or advice would be grateful.
Old 03-15-2013, 3:54 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtec View Post
Long story short, I purchased a Glock 22 lower frame assembly (no upper assembly) from an online auction. The frame has been delivered to my local FFL. I went to go do the paper work but my FFL just found out that I can't purchase an incomplete pistol unless I'm LEO. My question is if this is true? And if it is true, is there any thing that can be done so that I can legally obtain this lower frame? Any help and/or advice would be grateful.
Yes, it is true.

Because of CA's "unsafe handgun" laws; a receiver can not be DROS'd as a handgun, unless it is exempt (LEO, out-of-state intra-familial gift, PPT).

Options you have:
1. It can be DROS'd as a long gun, which mean you can legally use it to build a rifle/shotgun but not a handgun.

2. If your CA FFL dealer is a 07-FFL, you can bring the parts to make it a Glock 22 to your CA FFL dealer and then have it transferred to you as a Glock 22.

3. If your CA FFL dealer is a 07-FFL, you can bring the parts to make it a dimensionally compliant single-shot pistol and then have it transferred to you as an exempt single-shot pistol.

4. You can sell it to a LEO.

5. You can sell it to a person out-of-state and pay the CA FFL dealer to ship it out for you.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 03-15-2013 at 4:11 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 4:23 PM

I did actually plan on attaching this particular carbine upper http://www.mechtechsys.com/, that's why I went ahead and bought the lower frame. So are there any other issues I would run into if I went with option 1? And is going with option 2 legal? Will my FFL let me hand him a Glock 22 upper and transfer it as such? That seems way to simple. And I'm only being skeptical because it was beyond my understanding as to why I couldn't purchase an incomplete gun but an LEO can. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-15-2013, 4:51 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
I did actually plan on attaching this particular carbine upper http://www.mechtechsys.com/, that's why I went ahead and bought the lower frame. So are there any other issues I would run into if I went with option 1? And is going with option 2 legal? Will my FFL let me hand him a Glock 22 upper and transfer it as such? That seems way to simple. And I'm only being skeptical because it was beyond my understanding as to why I couldn't purchase an incomplete gun but an LEO can. Thanks for the info.
With Option 1, never make it into a handgun.
If you do, it will be considered a SBR not a handgun.

Explain to your CA FFL dealer, that you are going to make the receiver into a rifle in order to convince the dealer to DROS it as a "long gun".

If your dealer refuses, you will have to find another dealer (one that is willing to DROS it as a "long gun" and pay to have it shipped to the other CA FFL dealer.
Otherwise, you are only left with Option 4 & 5.

Option 2 & 3, is only available if your CA FFL dealer is licensed as a manufacturer.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member

I have purchased 1911 bare frames from private parties in the past. There are some FLL's that either won't do it or don't know how to do it. There is a drop down menu on the DROS form. Safe gun handling demo, that was simple. I used a complete 1911 in the shop.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassburnz View Post
I have purchased 1911 bare frames from private parties in the past. There are some FLL's that either won't do it or don't know how to do it. There is a drop down menu on the DROS form. Safe gun handling demo, that was simple. I used a complete 1911 in the shop.
PPT is exempt from the Roster, so that works. Interstate handgun sales are NOT exempt from the Roster, unless the buyer is exempt or the gun is exempt.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 AM

good to know i was thinking about doing the same thing
Glock 17*Glock 21 SF*Ruger GP100 3inch SS*Stag Arms AR15*Ruger 10/22*Remington 870 Express Tactical*Remington Versamax*Remington 700 VTR*Springfield Armory Socom 16*Spikes Tactical AR15*LWRC M6IC SPR*Sig P226 scorpion Elite*Nighthawk GRP Recon*
Old 03-16-2013, 6:57 AM

Kewl. Thanks for all the info and advice. I guess my 3rd option will be to get a hold of the business I bought the Glock lower frame from and see if they'll let me return it and get my money back. I'll post again on Monday and update how it turns out.
Old 03-19-2013, 1:36 PM

So I can't get my pistol frame DROS as a rifle build. It's been previously registered as a pistol and can't be changed. So that is not an option. My local FFL has been cool enough to to find/know another FFL who has a Type-07 FFL license to try to register the Glock frame with a Glock 22 upper I'll provide to register it as a functioning pistol. But I guess it's at the discretion of the Type-07 FFL on whether he's willing to do so. Update end of today or possibly tomorrow... Wish me luck...
Old 03-19-2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:
So I can't get my pistol frame DROS as a rifle build. It's been previously registered as a pistol and can't be changed. So that is not an option. My local FFL has been cool enough to to find/know another FFL who has a Type-07 FFL license to try to register the Glock frame with a Glock 22 upper I'll provide to register it as a functioning pistol. But I guess it's at the discretion of the Type-07 FFL on whether he's willing to do so. Update end of today or possibly tomorrow... Wish me luck...
I'm not an FFL.

Its perfectly legal to build a pistol into a rifle (yes, even in CA)

How would an FFL even know it had been previously registered in any manner??
Old 03-20-2013, 8:27 PM

Sorry mej16489. Maybe my wording was incorrect. The email from my FFL more specifically states that the Glock lower frame was originally "manufactured" as a pistol and can't be registered for a long gun build. That's what he stated in the email so I basically have to accept that I can't long gun the Glock frame. As for my update: I spoke to my FFL today and he's actually still waiting to hear back from the Type-07 FFL to find out if he's willing to do the transfer. Just a waiting game now. And I hate waiting...