Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-15-2013, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Default What does "Wounded Warrior" mean to you?

Ive been referred for a medboard and they people there keep pushing me to register as a wounded warrior with the AW2 guys since i have a "Combat Location " injury. To me a WW is someone with PTSD or missing limbs . What does it mean to you?

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)WW1 or WW2 era US Army 1911
Pre 1924 preferred (Not Arsenal Refinished)
3)S&W 686+ anything between 686 to 686-4
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDanPumperMan View Post
DV you are an attention whore. This thread sucked and so do 99% of your posts.
Old 03-15-2013, 3:56 PM

Someone who was injured while serving their country.
Someone who braved injury so that we can all sleep soundly at night.
Someone who should be entitled to any convenience available to them.
Old 03-15-2013, 3:58 PM

Serious injury resulting from enemy contact....falling off a 7 ton and busting your knee in half is not a wounded warrior in my book.
Old 03-15-2013, 4:04 PM

Talking I am a "Wounded Warrior" and I am proud...

I am a proud Wounded Warrior Project alumni, so I will offer some insights which you can consider or choose not to. You cannot see all wounds and some wounds are not readily apparent, even in the aftermath of said injuries. I received injuries in a combat. Specifically, in Iraq. Some of my wounds you can see, and others you can't. Some injuries take time to come to the surface and different folks deal with their injuries in different ways. Myself, my personal responses to my injuries ran the gamut. My family could attest to that. If you are going through a medical review board, it's something serious enough that, at the most, the military may possibly discharge you for, or, at the least, the military may possibly limit your service or possibly even reassign you. So, whatever happens, the Wounded Warrior Project is something you may want to look into. They offer lots of interesting and worthwhile services. If nothing else, they offer ways for you to get connected with other service members after you do finally get out. They have social gatherings and special events just for members. Being a Wounded Warrior gives you a special viewpoint on "service", and offers rewards which you deserve. Take advantage of it. --1911ShooterPhil

Last edited by 1911ShooterPhil; 03-15-2013 at 4:08 PM.. Reason: Take advantage of every benefit...
Old 03-15-2013, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I agree w/ all the responses so far , however my lungs got raped by burn pits so I dont see that as a Wounded Warrior criteria. I dont want anything from them but I would feel guilty for signing up knowing I could be taking resources from someone more needing than I

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)WW1 or WW2 era US Army 1911
Pre 1924 preferred (Not Arsenal Refinished)
3)S&W 686+ anything between 686 to 686-4
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDanPumperMan View Post
DV you are an attention whore. This thread sucked and so do 99% of your posts.
Old 03-15-2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ShooterPhil View Post
I am a proud Wounded Warrior Project alumni, so I will offer some insights which you can consider or choose not to. You cannot see all wounds and some wounds are not readily apparent, even in the aftermath of said injuries. I received injuries in a combat. Specifically, in Iraq. Some of my wounds you can see, and others you can't. Some injuries take time to come to the surface and different folks deal with their injuries in different ways. Myself, my personal responses to my injuries ran the gamut. My family could attest to that. If you are going through a medical review board, it's something serious enough that, at the most, the military may possibly discharge you for, or, at the least, the military may possibly limit your service or possibly even reassign you. So, whatever happens, the Wounded Warrior Project is something you may want to look into. They offer lots of interesting and worthwhile services. If nothing else, they offer ways for you to get connected with other service members after you do finally get out. They have social gatherings and special events just for members. Being a Wounded Warrior gives you a special viewpoint on "service", and offers rewards which you deserve. Take advantage of it. --1911ShooterPhil
Couldn't have said it better.

I was feeling real bad about my situation and my own personal struggles with admitting or accepting that I was a "WW". This was until a good friend of mine who is truely(in my eyes) an American Hero and a WW. He has a double amputation to the legs and limited use of 1 arm. He simple told me to suck it up and I was a WW even though I am upright and walking(barley some days, lol).

I was actually looking into the burn pit thing since I have my Appt with VA for the next 2 weeks for my Med board. We shall see.

Don't feel bad about getting classified as a WW man. There are some benefits and I will say my life has actually gotten better since my classification. PM me if you have questions or just need to talk to someone who has gone thru it brother.

Sent from my IPad so... Ease off the spelling

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 03-15-2013, 5:53 PM

Post Think of it like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
I agree w/ all the responses so far , however my lungs got raped by burn pits so I dont see that as a Wounded Warrior criteria. I dont want anything from them but I would feel guilty for signing up knowing I could be taking resources from someone more needing than I
So, you were at the Balad Burn Pit or the Al Asad Burn Pit, right? And your lungs got messed up during your service at one of those locations, correct? And this condition continues to impact your day to day functions? Yeah, that's something I'd contact the Wounded Warrior Project about. Maybe not now. Maybe after you do finally get out. See, after I got out, I got hooked up with the American Legion, Wounded Warrior Project, and VA. The American Legion got me a coordinator to help me file my case with VA. They helped me get through the red tape and helped me get the resources that I needed to get treatment, deal with my expenses, and get through college. These are benefits which you too can take advantage of if you file a VA disability claim and you are certified as "service connected". Wounded Warrior Project helped me locate groups of veterans like me to connect with and communicate my concerns with. Those veterans helped me locate better treatment options and made me more aware of certain things. That's an awesome service in and of itself.

Don't think of it like you're "taking resources from someone more needing". I was of the same mindset at one time. That's "survivor's guilt" or so I have been told. Think of it like this: groups like WWP or the American Legion are a resource which you can utilize or not utilize. Maybe you don't need them now. But, maybe, some time in the future, you may need them. Your lung condition may get more pronounced. Wouldn't you rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them? Membership won't cost you anything you haven't already paid for in blood, sweat, and tears.

Also, you may want to look into the Gulf War Illness Research Program (GWIRP). Because of some of the areas my unit and I served in, and some of the things we did, I thought it best to get registered with them and get tested. You have no idea the funky stuff you may have been exposed to. It's better to be safe than sorry, right? Once you do get out, you may want to speak to VA about stuff like that. Here's a link to check out for more reading: http://cdmrp.army.mil/gwirp/default.shtml

Just some food for thought. Good luck. Semper Fi! --1911ShooterPhil