Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:39 AM

Default Anyone else used the firearm ownership record from the california doj

I am searching for threads on this and coming up empty handed. I have used this from the California DOJ "the firearm ownership record" . I understand the risk if the firearm is stolen resulting in the DOJ taking away the gun and I am out hunting for the seller to get my gifted money back. However, what if I trust the seller and use this form and pay the processing fee to have it registered to me. This is the form http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf . Essentially it is a face to face transfer, just no 10 day waiting period where this paper is filed to see if the firearm is stolen and to run a background check on me at the same time. Thank you So my question is, does anyone else do this via marking the box on OTHER and listing Friend. I was told marking anything else will result in automatic denial. So be sure to always use OTHER and list Friend. I was able to register my last pistol doing so and was given a certificate. The certificate pretty much says, the firearm is yours and any future transactions with sad firearms needs to be done via FFL. Keep in mind, I kept a signed contract from the seller saying he gifted the firearm to me in the event he tried to pull a fast one.

Looking for a RIA 1911 Tactical

Last edited by Alpha Male; 03-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: added
Old 03-13-2013, 1:09 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Except for long guns 50 years old and older, inside CA firearms transfers must go through an FFL - using the VOLREG form does not substitute.

Misdemeanor for both buyer and seller.

(Intrafamily also exempt, but not part of the OP.)

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-13-2013, 1:23 AM
Veteran Member

I totally understand where the law is on this one.....however, why did the DOJ give him the certificate if this is a misdemeanor??? Is it an "honor system" type of thing?? Is someone going to come back through and check the system, and THEN going to make a stink about it??
I've been wondering about the "voluntary" form as well. How do they determine if the gun was obtained before or after the mandatory registration law was passed?? Does anyone at DOJ bother to check this stuff?? As far as my understanding goes, there is a spot on the form that asks WHEN you got the gun. If it wasn't C&R or intra-familial, how does that not raise red flags???
Old 03-13-2013, 1:51 AM

I was.given this form by an ffl dealer. curious as to why they gave me it the certificate.the dealer was.trying to dros it first but coul not because the person moved out ofstate. sorry about the periods its my dumb phone. dealer felt bad and was just like fill this out like so and send it in.

Added:
KEEP IN MIND THE WEAPON NEVER LEFT CALIFORNIA, it stayed here with his son-which is why I believe the form was given to me in the first place.

Last edited by Alpha Male; 03-13-2013 at 7:43 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 03-13-2013, 5:10 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, if I were you I wouldn't say anything else at this point. SO many laws broken so far LOL. Probably a good idea, OP, to stay quiet a bit and read the replies. You are about to possibly get yourself and maybe an FFL dealer in trouble.
Old 03-13-2013, 7:29 AM

I get what yea man, but i was reading a earlier thread. It seems like Gray area....they are more concerned about the weapons being registered and transferred FFL in future transactions as stated on my certification. In the event I do sell the Ruger, it SAYS I HAVE TO OUR ELSE I AM BREAKING THE LAW on it. It has all the penal codes and what not. It's just weird because I did provide my HSC and everything on that firearm and was issued the certificate of ownership. The risk associated as mentioned is the item being stolen and then surrendering said weapon resulting in lost of both gifts. But as someone mentioned earlier, this form should not be used for a PPT rather for firearms in the past that where not documented. I am taking the firearm I purchased from said buyer was never documented when california was not documenting resulting in being a "volunteered" weapon for registration. On a earlier cal-guns thread, I was reading that many firearm "pistols" have never been documented and as a result are voluteered registered or done PPT at an FFL to get it on the books. I feel silence (seems you are guilty, when I followed the guidance of an established FFL) in this moment is hurtful for those in the future. If I had broken the law, I am 100% the California DOJ would have red flagged me and taken the weapon 2 years ago or to surrender it back to the original owner to FFL to FFL transfer it.

Last edited by Alpha Male; 03-13-2013 at 7:39 AM.. Reason: added info.
Old 03-13-2013, 1:42 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
I totally understand where the law is on this one.....however, why did the DOJ give him the certificate if this is a misdemeanor??? Is it an "honor system" type of thing?? Is someone going to come back through and check the system, and THEN going to make a stink about it??
I've been wondering about the "voluntary" form as well. How do they determine if the gun was obtained before or after the mandatory registration law was passed?? Does anyone at DOJ bother to check this stuff?? As far as my understanding goes, there is a spot on the form that asks WHEN you got the gun. If it wasn't C&R or intra-familial, how does that not raise red flags???
It is, in fact, something of an honor system, with Stupid Prizes for detected errors.

Here's the long explanation on registration -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_registration

If some gun pops up for the first time via a VOLREG, there simply is no information for DOJ to use to detect any irregularities in the chain of transfers.

It's even possible for a 'known' gun to move out of state, be legally transferred under that state's laws, and come back to CA to be re-registered by a new resident or transferred back in via the intrafamilial route through an FFL. Besides the known incompleteness and errors in the database, such occurrences as 'it used to belong to Bob, but now it is being transferred from Joe to Tom' just don't raise eyebrows at the administrative level.

The state law says, if you do not have a license, and the transfer is not otherwise exempt (intrafamilial, 50-year-old long-gun, inheritance) the buyer and seller must use an FFL to mediate the firearms transfer. That's the whole Private Party Transfer thing. That's been true since 1991.

See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Bu..._in_California

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-13-2013 at 1:46 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 1:44 PM
In Memoriam

certificate, or letter? Frameable or not?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 PM

it is a hardcopy typed from the doj and signed in ink. not some simple computer print out. anyway, i went the PPT at my local shop with the buyer.

Old 03-14-2013, 7:00 AM

It's your gun now!!!!