Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Default Can't get my guns back from Los Angeles County Sherrifs!?

OK so I got my case dismissed in December, concealed firearm when i had the damn things in a locked container. whatever.. it got dismissed and I filled out an LEGR form.. got the things back from DOJ, gold stamps and all, and the sheriffs said their policy is to run my guns through crime labs, BULL***T, called Jason Davis and he called the sheriffs SGT that said he would call back with a date to pick up my 2 guns, never called back, I've been leaving several voicemails and called for a week, LEGR forms just expired last week so now i have to send them out AGAIN!! Also trying to move to Vegas so that's not happening til I get my stuff back.

Last edited by phresh310; 03-01-2013 at 11:48 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

based on what you stated, it sounds like you're getting a run around...doesn't seem normal, especially if you successfully obtained your LEGR paperwork

I would think that your firearms would've already been run through the crime lab...seems like that would be SOP

maybe some of our LE guys can shed some light on what may be happening

"We want food, medicine, and one of those cows" - Daryl Dixon TWD
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM

that's what i thought too.. from day 1 shouldn't they have ran my guns through crime labs? total BS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBallgame View Post
based on what you stated, it sounds like you're getting a run around...doesn't seem normal, especially if you successfully obtained your LEGR paperwork

I would think that your firearms would've already been run through the crime lab...seems like that would be SOP

Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM

They probably already melted them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAcHog View Post
I have read that...Serioulsy....check it out online.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 AM

no i doubt that.. spole with detective handling my case they still have em..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xingu View Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM

Posted at the same time lol
The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.”
- Thomas Jefferson -
Quote:
200 bullets at a time......
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/198981/life01.jpg

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 03-02-2013, 6:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
From my anecdotal research, police in anti-gun jurisdictions will NOT release a citizen's firearm unless compelled to by the judiciary: and sometimes, not even then.

There's an ongoing lawsuit in Mass. regarding police agencies transferring guns to private trust dealers for "safekeeping". Once the citizen beats the case, they're told that they have to deal with the trust company to get their property back-and the trust firm charges $1000 in back storage fees per firearm. Naturally most guns aren't worth that much, so most folks just walk away. The warehouse then sells them on the open market for a profit; the dealers name last I checked was "yankeetreasures" on Gunbroker.

As far as California goes, unless the OPs willing to hire an attorney to file a motion with the local court to order the weapons be returned to him, he's SOL. Without a court order, the anti-gun property cops will just make up
a different excuse until they can get the weapons to the smelter.

For yet another example of how cops treat citizens weapons, look at New Orleans after Katrina. Handguns seized during their illegal emergency gun ban were returned to their owners as rusted remnants from being stored in humid Louisiana basements for months.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reach out to Jason Davis, again.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-02-2013, 7:25 AM

I had to get a court order to release my firearm. Keep at it. They will eventually return it. It took me a while and caused a lot of stress but I got it back
Old 03-02-2013, 7:41 AM
Veteran Member

How is this even legal?

Such BS

Go in and get it yourself with the militia

I"M KIDDING don't do that
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 03-02-2013, 8:26 AM

Running through their "crime lab"= having fun with your firearms at their range using tax payers $$$ for the ammo?
Old 03-02-2013, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

yup... LOL

I once got a gang-banger set to state prison for 15 years... and all his friends made sure to thank me for it, for the tune of several thousand dollars in damages reoccurring over the course of three years until I moved... that way the next time I had the chance to step up and do the right thing I would re-consider and do nothing.

So maybe the next time you have the chance to prove LEO wrong you will think twice about it and just plead guilty.

I am not bashing all LEO....
Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM

You may have an action against them for violation of 42 USC 1983 for violation of civil rights under color of law both for the initial arrest and seizure of the weapon (as your firearm was stored in a completely legal fashion) and now for their wrongful theft (let's call it what it is) of your property. You may also have a civil suit for the tort of conversion. Without knowing more, I couldn't say more. If you'd like to talk, PM me.

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.
Janet Reno, former US Attorney General, 1993
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
So maybe the next time you have the chance to prove LEO wrong you will think twice about it and just plead guilty.
I am not bashing all LEO....
Old 03-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No need, I can tell you what is happening. LAPD is running the clock down until they can consider the firearms "abandoned", at which point they'll melt them down. OP needs to contact CGF.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-02-2013, 11:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

/sarcasm

Come on say it with me folks. Hooray for the rule of law, justice, and property rights!

/sarcasm

OP, sorry to hear about your local law enforcement agency stealing your property.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM

This is just one big headache.. I just really hope I get my guns back..
Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM

Why don't you send a email with all the details of the case and PDF copies of your legal forms to the Sherriff...CC: Assistant Sherrif, Captain of the Station, your State Rep, Local DA, State DA, Governor of Cali?

Maybe contact your local newspaper???? Venting in calguns won't get you far.

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it; and this I know, my lords, that where laws end, tyranny begins."

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
Old 03-02-2013, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintelligentsia View Post
You may have an action against them for violation of 42 USC 1983 for violation of civil rights under color of law both for the initial arrest and seizure of the weapon (as your firearm was stored in a completely legal fashion) and now for their wrongful theft (let's call it what it is) of your property.
THIS. OP needs to contact CGF as well. Perfect opportunity to teach LAPD a lesson on how to properly treat peaceful citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
Quote:
A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.
Wanted: pre-war Colt Detective Special and commercial 1911.
Old 03-02-2013, 1:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProlificARProspect View Post
Why don't you send a email with all the details of the case and PDF copies of your legal forms to the Sherriff...CC: Assistant Sherrif, Captain of the Station, your State Rep, Local DA, State DA, Governor of Cali?
I suspect that all of the above don't care...

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 03-02-2013, 1:54 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xingu View Post
Happened to friend of mine. So they say.

Burbank PD + FBI + DEA + DOJ = Free reign to do what they want.

Good Luck.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 03-02-2013, 2:45 PM

Give me a call Monday.
Old 03-02-2013, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 03-02-2013, 3:05 PM

Ok I will call Jason Davis Monday.. and yes I bet they would love to keep my Kimber
Old 03-02-2013, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bet if you spelled "sheriff" correctly they’d give them back.
Old 03-02-2013, 3:23 PM

Lmao yea I did see in the title I spelled sheriff wrong..
Old 03-02-2013, 3:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phresh310 View Post
Lmao yea I did see in the title I spelled sheriff wrong..

Bustin' your chops...yeah, you missed it there but got it right in the post.

Old 03-02-2013, 3:38 PM

Lol yea.. idk why my "smartphone" didn't correct it haha..
Old 03-02-2013, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
OK so I got my case dismissed in December, concealed firearm when i had the damn things in a locked container. whatever.. it got dismissed and I filled out an LEGR form.. got the things back from DOJ, gold stamps and all, and the sheriffs said their policy is to run my guns through crime labs, BULL***T, called Jason Davis and he called the sheriffs SGT that said he would call back with a date to pick up my 2 guns, never called back, I've been leaving several voicemails and called for a week, LEGR forms just expired last week so now i have to send them out AGAIN!! Also trying to move to Vegas so that's not happening til I get my stuff back.
As far as I know ALL firearms seized by LASD are "run" or sent to DOJ for "testing". There is a backlog all the time especially at DOJ. It does often take a more than a few months until they would be available. Your mistake was getting the LEGR before the firearms were available for release.

I've helped a number of folks here on this site with getting their firearms back. Be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZombieBalls View Post
In the Bay Area a while back, I admit I did something stupid, but I was not arrested nor charged with a crime, they took about a half dozen of my firearms for safe keeping (one of which was a $3K rifle new from yr 2000, now is $5K new. The other two were RAWs with pre-ban hi-cap mags attached) and the LEOs embellished a little bit in their report, making statements that I never made, to make it sound worse. Long story short, I was not adjudicated AT ALL and also got my LEGR, but they still would not give them back. 4 months of headaches later, ended up having to pay an FFL dealer to pick them up and were forced to sell them all, the two RAWs were sold to an out of state dealer. I asked for the pre-ban hi-cap mags back, they said I cannot get them back, because they need to be registered (huh, are they that stupid or think I am dumber than them)!!! BS, WTF is wrong with the justice system in CA(definitely a lot)!

I wish you the best of luck on getting your firearms back, cause they are f**king with you and that's not right. Get a lawyer and sue them if possible. Also, contact CGF for help.

Were you detained on a mental health hold???? Based on your story it appears so. If so it's not the cops fault you had to sell your firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 03-02-2013, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Have you sent an e-mail to hotline@calgunsfoundation.org?
Old 03-02-2013, 8:55 PM

Fire up a lawyer and send them a letter giving them 5 days to return your property, or else you'll sue the them (the department and the responsible individuals you know of) on day 6. The personal liability threat tends to get attention; whoever is trying to steal the gun isn't going to want the attention.

If they're trying to claim they have to keep them for more months so they can "check" them, sue them. They have no right to hold and check your guns when they were wrongfully taken; if they wanted to check them they could have done so earlier. And they could record serial numbers and check later. It's an obvious scam and needs a does of outrage and legal acumen. From what folks say, Jason Davis in your man. Turn him loose.
Old 03-02-2013, 9:02 PM

It's a bit too late for this in your case, but what seems to work well is to have your lawyer request a letter from the Judge (or DA if it never got to trial) at the time of the dismissal notifying the LEA that the charges were being dismissed, and ordering that your firearms be returned.

If you are an American who is not subject to the UCMJ, then you are a civilian. It is disrespectful to our military members to claim otherwise.

Demanding that LEOs be held to a high standard of professional conduct is a show of respect for the LE profession. Let's all be respectful.
Old 03-02-2013, 9:07 PM

I left two handguns in a motel in Colorado two years ago....they were returned to me after four months. In Ca I doubt you ever going to see them.
Old 03-02-2013, 9:15 PM

Keep records of every email, letter and phone calls made. If your guns are gone, this will show proof that you were trying to get them back. You can sue and might get reimbursed.
Old 03-02-2013, 9:18 PM

Yea I'm calling Jason Davis Monday morning.. I would be so mad if.my guns are gone.. my grandfather bought me my first Glock..
Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
OP, the property custodians with LASD generally work directly for the station detective bureau lieutenant. I suggest you contact him/her and explain that your case has been dismissed and inform him/her that it is your attention to reclaim your property.

Unfortunately, you will need a current LEGR from DOJ to get them released. Don't send it in until after you have spoken with the detective bureau lieutenant.

LASD stations often forward property to a central property warehouse, usually in Whittier. At one point, all handguns were sent to the crime lab for examination before release, but since I'm retired I don't know if they still do.

I know it is frustrating, but try to remain polite and civil when dealing with them. That doesn't mean you have to kiss anyone's posterior, just remember that common courtesy goes a long way toward getting things done.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 03-08-2013 at 9:28 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 10:42 PM

Yea I absolutely do remain calm and civil but you're right I'm not kissing anybody's rear end lol.. thanks..
Old 03-03-2013, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
As far as I know ALL firearms seized by LASD are "run" or sent to DOJ for "testing". There is a backlog all the time especially at DOJ. It does often take a more than a few months until they would be available. Your mistake was getting the LEGR before the firearms were available for release.

I've helped a number of folks here on this site with getting their firearms back. Be patient.

Were you detained on a mental health hold???? Based on your story it appears so. If so it's not the cops fault you had to sell your firearms.

if they were sent to a state lab, they're gonna be there for a while. The DOJ lab firearms sections have always been, and probably always will be, backlogged to hell and gone. They prioritize casework to a large extent, and a case without a leaking body is going to the bottom of the pile. Firearms/toolmarks sucks hind tit at the DOJ lab system to every other specialty except trace evidence. The basic concept in that system is "DNA rules, everyone else drools".
Old 03-03-2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:
What a bunch of ****ing dirtbags.
Old 03-03-2013, 9:24 AM

If magazines were also confiscated with your guns, make sure they are also included in paperwork. Every piece of property has to be listed.