Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-01-2013, 6:52 PM
CGSSA Leader

Default Question about a new gun for mom....

Okay ladies. I know all the ins and outs of buying a gun that is "right for you". My mom has a new diamondback db 9mm, but has a lot of trouble with the recoil and the slide. She has tiny hands and some arthritis. She hated my Glock17...LOL. Too big for her. My question is...how do some of y'all feel about Sig Sauer P238..or 938...or something along those lines. My husband is a LEO and extremely opinionated and his advice doesn't always work.

I know a lot of you have commented on different handguns, but I can't remember them all. She hasn't shot a lot and knows that she has a lot of practice ahead of her.

Just wondering what y'all thought about some of the smaller guns.

Thanks!!
Trish
Old 04-01-2013, 8:57 PM

Check out some of the Smith and wesson revolvers made specifically for women.
Easy to grip and easy to use.
Old 04-01-2013, 9:51 PM

Check out the Kruger lcp or lc9
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 PM

My wife has tiny hand, and loves her Smith&Wessons, and my mom has severe arthritis and loves hers. The great thing about a .38 revolver is that you can load it down for practice. I'd be cautious about the Ruger LC series as they are quite light and the recoil can be pretty snappy. I hear excellent things about the SIG, but even better things about the Bersa Thunder, and at half the price. The best way to figure it out is for her to go to a gun shop and just handle a bunch of different guns, then find a range where she can rent and test her favorites. Don't bring the hubby.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 PM

Get your mom some baseball batter's gloves. They are padded just at the base of the thumb and take up a lot of the shock.

I got them to shoot in the winter, cut the tip of the first finger of the glove. But I use the right one all the time with my snappier guns
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous216 View Post
Check out the Kruger lcp or lc9
^both are pretty snappy. I own a LCP, even being a .380 it's size and weight makes it a little to much recoil for my wife. She loves how the LCP fits her hand but she doesn't like to shoot it much. In all honesty she prefers my XD9 even over my Kahr K9 and Glock19 and both of those are highly recommended for lady shooters.

If mom has small hands take a look at some compact pistols and see what fits her hand best. Check out the XD9 compact, M&P-9 compact and Ruger SR9c. Maybe give a Glock26 a spin too, it's the smallest Glock available in the US. Models that are followed with a "c" generally refers to compact. Recoil isn't to bad on those models. If she likes the full size models I listed above that's even less recoil, the added barrel lengths and longer sight ratios makes them slightly more forgiving as far accuracy is concerned. Consider taking her to range that has rental handguns and try a few, you wouldn't buy a car without a test drive would you?

Last edited by North Bay Guy; 04-02-2013 at 1:46 AM..
Old 04-02-2013, 1:40 PM
CGSSA Leader

Thanks everyone. She tried some of the ones listed above and still had some difficulty. She didn't want a revolver. After driving all over creation and back checking out various gun stores, she decided to go ahead and buy a Smith and Wesson 380. She is really excited to go shooting tomorrow and try it out. I am really hoping she is happy with it. She won't go to a range by herself and a friend of hers, instructor for years, just wouldn't get back with her....or me....about trying various guns. So...keeping fingers crossed.
Old 04-02-2013, 9:38 PM

Good luck to your mom! I did not like the .380's because it was snappy but hopefully it will be fine for her.
Old 04-03-2013, 6:58 AM

I would find a revolver that has a longer barrel and change out the grips for her. Slides can be very difficult for arthritic hands. My 89 year old father got an older Chief's special. He can't rack a slide anymore, so the revolver was the best option.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown