Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-22-2013, 1:16 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by majtom94 View Post
Thank you Chevron! I'll buy more gas...
I second this.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 02-22-2013, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he found the hostility from the leadership and the radical fascists to be intolerable.

We will see a certain amount of bloodbath in Sacramento due to their effectively uncontested power. The radical ideologues will find their relatively "moderate" Democrat compatriots to be about as intolerable as they find Republicans.

I'd kinda like to hear about the internecine squabbles going on up there - but I'd probably find the stories more disgusting than interesting. . .
Old 02-22-2013, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

With any luck a 2A supporter will be elected to replace him.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 02-22-2013, 1:31 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

From Scott Lay:

Quote:
This is a safe Democratic seat and two-term Assemblymember Henry Perea is the most likely candidate. However, he'll need to do some pretty quick house-shopping, as he lives in the old SD14 and the new SD08. And, of course, this is the part of the Central Valley known for Democratic party infighting, so there's always that possibility.
Old 02-22-2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arreaux View Post
Just saw this!
California Democrats Lose Veto-Proof Edge in Senate as One Quits

Is there any chance they will not replace him with another Dem?

Too bad he didn't bow out during the election......
It should be a competitive race but the Republicans will face an uphill battle to get funding considering the other 2 vacancies are in safe Dem seats. Not to mention the Reeps are busy infighting and probably won't organize well enough behind a single candidate to make a real go of things. Just very skeptical but this district is ripe for party change if the Reeps can get behind the ball.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-22-2013, 1:36 PM

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/districts/SD16/

If they're running in the new SD 16 the Reeps have a registration advantage 46.2% vs. 29.7%.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-22-2013, 1:39 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMik View Post
http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/districts/SD16/

If they're running in the new SD 16 the Reeps have a registration advantage 46.2% vs. 29.7%.
They have to run under the old lines.
Old 02-22-2013, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
They have to run under the old lines.
Then it's a forgone conclusion until 2014... Rubio won by big margins in 2010. That being said the new 16 is very safe Republican.

Perea is not a bad candidate on most issues. He's the chair of the "New Democrats" aka the Moderate Caucus. Not sure where he stands on 2A.
Old 02-22-2013, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does the governor get to elect a replacement or do they have a special election?

I know that voting turnout for special elections are notoriously low so given what's at stake hopefully a lot of pro-2A would turn out to vote.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-22-2013, 2:44 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
Does the governor get to elect a replacement or do they have a special election?

I know that voting turnout for special elections are notoriously low so given what's at stake hopefully a lot of pro-2A would turn out to vote.
The governor has 14 days to schedule a special vacancy election.
Old 02-22-2013, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
The governor has 14 days to schedule a special vacancy election.
What happens if 14 days pass with no schedule? Just out of curiosity.

I also see that there's 2 other vacant seats, district 32 and 40. What's up with those?
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-22-2013, 3:30 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
What happens if 14 days pass with no schedule? Just out of curiosity.

I also see that there's 2 other vacant seats, district 32 and 40. What's up with those?
It is a "shall" not "may." The only time he can not call an election is in some circumstances where a normal replacement election is within a certain period of time. You would have to consult the Elections Code for specifics on those occurrences, but this isn't one of them.

The others are already scheduled as I recall, but check the Secretary of State's website for details:

http://www.sos.ca.gov
Old 02-22-2013, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ah your absolutely right! March 12th is the special election for those districts.

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm new to how this type of situation is resolved.

I hope that our pro-2A orgs are reaching out to members in those districts to get the word out for the upcoming special elections.
Old 02-22-2013, 4:07 PM

Never thought I would be saying thank you to big oil but, thank you.

My thought.

Big oil knows they are in trouble with the super majority in sactown so how better than giving one a deal he couldn't refuse to take the super majority out of the equation. I know it's a long shot but if it works it will help with 2A as well. Maybe just maybe or I am going to hope some other big oil companies will romance some other dems outa there to. Long shot but who knows, didn't see this one coming either. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-22-2013, 5:55 PM

He probably got tired of taking a shower every night and still feeling dirty!
Old 02-22-2013, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutFarmer1 View Post
Never thought I would be saying thank you to big oil but, thank you.

My thought.

Big oil knows they are in trouble with the super majority in sactown so how better than giving one a deal he couldn't refuse to take the super majority out of the equation. I know it's a long shot but if it works it will help with 2A as well. Maybe just maybe or I am going to hope some other big oil companies will romance some other dems outa there to. Long shot but who knows, didn't see this one coming either. Fingers crossed.

Big Oil is just looking for an edge over their competitors. What better place to find it than from among their rulers, the CA legislature? If you can get laws passed that restrict your competition that would be good for business, right? That's what this is about. Keep your eyes and ears open for new legislation that will further restrict some, but not all, petroleum operators.

In this day and age business is done in the halls of the legislature, not in the marketplace.

All bow and hail AB32
Old 02-22-2013, 7:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinsac View Post
He dropped out of a Congressional run after his youngest daughter was diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. If it were me, I'd be looking to do whatever I needed to give her all the support (emotional, presence, fiscal, whatever) that I could muster.
I can follow your logic....

However...

You didnt take into account, that as a govt official, (the protected class) he was not subject to obamacare.

Now that he's in private industry... He is..... and so is she....

His special needs daughter was probably in a much better position with his exemption status.... without obamacare.

I knew a guy in the mil that HAD to keep reenlisting even though he didnt really want to, because he had a special needs son that was absolutely not going to be covered by private insurance. Felt real bad for the guy in his position.

Last edited by postal; 02-22-2013 at 7:13 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinsac View Post
He dropped out of a Congressional run after his youngest daughter was diagnosed with Down's Syndrome. If it were me, I'd be looking to do whatever I needed to give her all the support (emotional, presence, fiscal, whatever) that I could muster.
Congressional pay and health benefits would have been a big bump up for that
Old 02-22-2013, 7:22 PM

Before you get too excited, his district is 51% democrat and only 28% republican, so y'all best hope for a pro 2A democrat. I mean a unicorn.
Old 02-22-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMik View Post
Guys!!! He wasn't pushing stricter environmental laws. He was reforming CEQA for business. It was a business effort backing him. It was not going to make CEQA more difficult.
Details, details...don't piss in their punch, they are happy for a change.
Old 02-22-2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he found the hostility from the leadership and the radical fascists to be intolerable.

We will see a certain amount of bloodbath in Sacramento due to their effectively uncontested power. The radical ideologues will find their relatively "moderate" Democrat compatriots to be about as intolerable as they find Republicans.

I'd kinda like to hear about the internecine squabbles going on up there - but I'd probably find the stories more disgusting than interesting. . .
My theory is that the majority of politicians, especially so the democrats, have just enough skeletons or demons hidden just well enough to keep the general populace out of the know, and that those are precisely the ones that get the needed help from the party. They want people pleasing candidates, but they also want a trump card. Someone may have played Rubios trump card because he wouldn't quite get in step where he was told. After having the rug pulled away, or severely threatened to be, Rubio flees to the next closest protective wing that he knew. Hell, they were probably always dropping hints of sugar daddy-dom. Of course now he won't be nearly as valuable to them, so they may spit him out after they have their way with him and he's played out
Old 02-22-2013, 8:06 PM

Rubio has been supporting the oil companies with his public office position for some time now. The job is a thank you.
http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.co...GGR-supervisor

Sent using Tapatalk 2

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-22-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGuy View Post
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) _ State Sen. Michael Rubio resigned unexpectedly Friday, a move that drops Democrats below the two-thirds threshold they need to pass tax changes or override vetoes...

Temporary good news for the 2nd Amendment in CA?

http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/ne...ticle=10871490
praise Jesus
Old 02-22-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Wait, a CA Democrat is going to work for "Big Oil"? Well isn't that interesting.
Just another revolving door; elected office to lobbyist.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

The supermajority being gone still requires every single repube to vote in our favor. Everyone sure some of these RINO's are going to come through for us? Still an uphill battle the way I see it.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 02-23-2013, 9:40 AM

Assuming a 2A supporter would be a Republican, good luck.

Seems like the elephant party hadn't been able to put out a candidate that rational people could support for my entire 17 years of living in CA.

Sure, I voted R, but the vast majority of the time I was holding my nose while doing it.

If a person that REALLY WANTS to vote R has trouble doing it, what are the odds other middle of the road people will. Not bloody likely.

At any rate, seeing the supermajority in peril is a good thing I'll keep good thoughts for you good people behind the koolaid curtain.