Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-18-2013, 9:34 PM

Default S&W Stock Wood Grips for Model 29

My Model 29 has nice Hogue grips but I'd like to have a set of stock wood Model 29 grips? I don't see these offered on S&W's site and was wondering if anyone knew of a place I can order them and what a reasonable price would be. I found a pair for 95 bucks but not sure if that's a good price.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

The stock wood grips have changed over the years and you don't say what dash your 29 is.

Check out Ahrends grips, Altamont grips and Hogue grips for OEM wood grip selections. They've all made grips for S&W.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Put out some WTB ads. Lots of people have these guns and have put on some sort of rubber grips and just tossed the original stocks into a box. It's not worth their trouble to advertise them for sale, but a WTB ad might get their attention.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a pair of S&W 29 square butt stock that are in very good condition. I cannot sell them, but offer them for trade for square butt 586/686 wood grips preferably OEM. Here they are. Sorry no screw included.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 02-19-2013, 4:51 AM

try E-bay
Old 02-19-2013, 5:36 AM

I believe Altamont currently produces the grips that come stock with current S&Ws since they stopped making their own grips. You can actually get the medallions added to the grips and the prices are closer to the low end. I've got a set of grips on order from Ahrends but the wait time is looking like about 10 weeks once they receive your order from what Kim Ahrend told me.

If you want to pay a little bit more, there's a forum member on here and the S&W forum that goes by Kurac who makes some amazing grips with fantastic woods.

But if you want to just all out splurge, Keith Brown makes some outstanding Roper and Kearsarge grips from what I've seen. He also does reproductions of targets, cokes, and magnas, as well as any other custom styles a buyer would want. His work dips into the "few hundred" dollar range though.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 02-19-2013, 7:30 AM

I have several pairs of Nill-Griffe stocks. They are made in Germany under license from S&W. They are high quality with the resulting price.

Here are their "Cokes":

http://www.nill-grips.com/
Old 03-23-2013, 9:29 PM
(◕_◕)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿ ̿
CGN Contributor

Here is my S&W 629-3 with Kurac stocks, I love them! I haven't looked for original n-frame stocks in awhile but I think around $75-$100 is normal.

This is how they compare to the originals

Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California44 View Post
I'm going to order the wood grips from S&W and don't know if I should get the walnut or cherry grips. I want a dark, rich finish. Which wood are the grips you posted (if you know) and whether you might know if the cherry or walnut grips will be similar to your grips? Each are about $70 from S&W.
Goncalo Alves?
Old 03-24-2013, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't waste your money ordering grips from s&w. Buy a set of grips from Kurac or a used set of grips that are correct for when the gun was made.

Here are some Kurac grips I own, you'll never get a pair of grips like this from s&w.

And if you have money to burn you can order a set of Keith brown grips

WTS - S&W 27-2 3.5 Barrel with Box and Presentation Case

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1021514

Last edited by shooting4life; 03-24-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

The Eagle N-frame cokebottle grips with S&W medallions (just call or email to order with medallions) are very nice for the price. Not as nice as the Nihl versions but at less than half the price are pretty nice and very comfortable. http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Rosew...ered-H010.html

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Last edited by redcliff; 03-24-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 6:53 PM

The Hogue grips are the stock grips for a S&W M 29-5 Hunter with a non fluted cylinder. It sounds like you don't need to spend any money, unless you want something else just because you like it better.