Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-14-2013, 6:01 PM

Cora
The federal shutdown does not affect any of our hiring. Our money comes from county property taxesand state funds. We have a few federal grant funded positions but that money has already been allocated.

Call the number on your banding letter for a status update.

I was in a union meeting and they informed us that LASD has about 800 open positions and our department has more than that number open. We will be hiring for the next three years at the current pace of hiring.

Be patient and be honest and you should be good to go. Good luck
Old 10-14-2013, 7:26 PM

@dbhaylock thanks for your feedback. Which position did you apply for?
Old 10-14-2013, 7:40 PM

LtMike70

Thank you for your response and insight. Ok, I will call the number on the banding letter and keep you posted.
Old 10-15-2013, 7:35 PM

Longest psych written test ever. A whopping 6hrs... Poly on Thursday. And I applied for dpo 1/RT
Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 AM

How did you feel during the psych exam dbhaylock? My psych exam was close in length as well. The amazing thing was I never felt tired, just a little hungry. I got a quick snack between the first and second part.

I actually did my polygraph before I did my psych exam. If you do not mind me asking, how did your polygraph go? Good luck with it all.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Recent article from the L.A. Times regarding the stricter hiring process.

Quote:
L.A. County probation jobs unfilled because of stricter hiring rules

Stricter hiring rules in the L.A. County Probation Department have disqualified many seeking jobs created to handle an influx of state prison inmates.

By Abby Sewell

October 15, 2013, 9:49 p.m.

The hiring of new Los Angeles County probation workers has been significantly complicated, officials said Tuesday, because stricter standards imposed over the last year have disqualified applicants convicted of certain crimes and required others to submit to polygraph tests and extensive background checks.

Probation officials said that only about 10% to 20% of applicants are making it through the new hiring and screening process at a time when the department is racing to add officers to cope with an influx of state prison inmates.

Probation Chief Jerry Powers put the standards in place to crack down on employee misconduct and abuses in the county's 20 juvenile offender camps and halls.

The county set aside money in 2011 and last year to hire 470 additional probation workers to oversee former state inmates who are now the responsibility of county probation instead of state parole officers as a result of prison realignment, but about one-third of the positions remain unfilled.

"I want the positions filled worse than anyone, but I'm not going to sacrifice the quality of the candidates," Powers said in an interview after briefing the county Board of Supervisors.

Also vacant are more than 1,000 other positions in the department, including officers in the juvenile camps and those supervising sex offenders, gang members and people convicted of domestic violence. The majority of the 470 realignment-related jobs are expected to be filled through internal promotions, but that leaves vacancies in other positions that will need to be backfilled by hiring from outside.

The union representing probation officers says, however, that Power's standards are unreasonable.

Previously, hiring rules banned candidates who had been convicted of a violent offense in the last seven years or a property crime in the last five years. Powers' policy places an outright ban on anyone ever convicted of such a crime.

Candidates are also now required, for the first time in the department's history, to undergo a polygraph test, along with a credit check and a background investigation that includes interviews with their neighbors.

Probation union President Ralph Miller said some of the requirements discriminate against applicants who come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

"If you're a poor person or you're a person of color, you may have encountered some problems in your life.... This is not Stanislaus, Mayberry, USA," he said, referring to Powers' previous position heading the Stanislaus County Probation Department in California's Central Valley.

Miller said the slow pace of hiring threatens community safety as probation officers face overly high caseloads.

Powers counters that the reforms are needed to clean up a department under federal scrutiny. The county's 20 juvenile offender camps and halls have been under federal monitoring since 2008. The new hiring standards were put in place largely because of an agreement between the county and the U.S. Justice Department, Powers said.

The chief blames many of the issues in the camps on loose standards in place during a pre-recession hiring boom from 2005 to 2008. Over the last two years, he told the supervisors Tuesday, 135 probation staff members have been arrested on criminal charges, and nearly half of them were hired during the period when standards were relaxed.

"I don't think it serves the department and the county well to do shortcuts when you're hiring peace officers," he said.

Powers said that the department is stepping up its outreach to local universities in hopes of attracting students from programs such as social work and sociology, from which the department has not traditionally recruited, and that it is working to set up more formal internship programs to bring in high-quality applicants.

About $10 million budgeted for probation hiring last year was not used and instead went into a contingency fund that will be used to send about 500 county jail inmates serving long sentences to a correctional facility run by the city of Taft in Kern County.

abby.sewell@latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-p...,1019794.story
Old 10-21-2013, 1:18 PM

I have only did the written exam for psych. The poly was fine. I passed it last week. My psych eval and med Eval is in two days
Old 10-22-2013, 9:34 AM

Anyone who has taken the psych oral eval...is it business casual or is it professional?
Old 10-22-2013, 4:17 PM

Cpt.Mike

Hey Captain Mike, I'm currently going threw the process for PO 2 field. I took all the test about a month ago and haven't heard a respond yet. Are they finishing up my background? And would it be a good idea to call my background investigator?. Also I heard from a source that PO 2 don't attend an academy, that they just work alongside a senior PO. Can you elaborate on that?. Thank you so much for your help. God bless!
Old 10-22-2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhaylock View Post
Anyone who has taken the psych oral eval...is it business casual or is it professional?

I was told business casual. But I ended up going in a suit just in case. I am glad I did, as everyone else who showed up (five other gentlemen) were wearing suits as well. It is better to be overdressed than under dressed.

Quote:
Also I heard from a source that PO 2 don't attend an academy, that they just work alongside a senior PO. Can you elaborate on that?. Thank you so much for your help. God bless!
I cannot speak with any real authority, obviously, but one of the instructors who came to speak to our class told us DPO IIs might have a class in December. Hopefully CaptMike is not too busy and can take the time to answer your questions and confirm what will happen!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 PM

hello axle
Field dpo2 is required to go through a six and a half week academy. you will also have to complete post if that is not completed yet.

it also depends if you're applying for DPO 2 field or DPO 2 residential treatment. if its field then it's the six and a half weeks if its residential treatment then you have to go to the 7 week juvenile corrections officer Core. the next field probation officer core is on December 2nd. they would hire you put you on the line for approximately two weeks then send you to the Academy.
good luck.
Old 10-23-2013, 7:12 PM

So today I finished my final eval... For anyone who has completed every step, how long before they contact you?
Old 10-24-2013, 4:15 PM

It can vary case by case when the department will contact you. From someone who works on the line (me) its always hurry up, and wait. Has your background been cleared already?
Old 10-24-2013, 9:13 PM

The next new hire acadeny is scheduled for february 2. So they will probably call you at the beginning of january if you already cleared all the steps. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2013, 9:15 AM

I don't know yet. My boss just turned in his part of the background packet. So I doubt it. But I already know they came and investigated my neighbors. Are they going to formally contact me when background clears? Or they will just contact me with an offer of employment. How does this part work?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Capt. Mike

Thanks for your help, it's good to know there is someone willing to help others. I really appreciate that.

@dbhatlock
I completed all my eval a little more than a month ago, and still haven't heard anything back yet.
Old 10-25-2013, 6:07 PM

Quote:
For anyone who has completed every step, how long before they contact you?
It will vary for person to person and when they have an academy lined up. I was lucky and caught the latest window of opportunity. A little over two weeks after I completed my final step of the process is when I was contacted.

Quote:
Are they going to formally contact me when background clears? Or they will just contact me with an offer of employment. How does this part work?
In my case, I received a phone call out of the blue from the HR Department offering me the job. Hopefully you will get that call in mid-January so you can start with the next class in February.
Old 10-26-2013, 6:35 AM

Ok thanks for the info. Time to go hard at work till the next job calls me in...
Old 10-27-2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhaylock View Post
I don't know yet. My boss just turned in his part of the background packet. So I doubt it. But I already know they came and investigated my neighbors. Are they going to formally contact me when background clears? Or they will just contact me with an offer of employment. How does this part work?
Back when I went through the process I received a letter from the department saying i was cleared from backgrounds and with the next step scheduled for me on that notice. Since your background is probably not complete as of yet, just sit back and jump through the hoops. once you have cleared everything you should receive a phone call from the department giving you an official offer of employment.
Old 11-03-2013, 3:07 PM

Good luck to those in the process. To those that missed the last application process, I have been told they will be opening it up again before the end of the year.
Old 11-06-2013, 8:35 AM

I submitted an appeal back in June of this year and called last week and they said its still being analyed. How long does it takes?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM

It can take a while. I think its a positive that they haven't denied the appeal. Hopefully its a good thing that it is taking this long. It probably means they are considering the granting of your appeal. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Thanks Capt.Mike for your response. I'm staying positive.
Old 11-06-2013, 6:42 PM

you're welcome
Old 11-07-2013, 11:06 PM

@mike. Maybe you can tell me. I've heard two separate academy dates. Does next one start in dec or in feb?
Old 11-08-2013, 7:52 AM

DPO II field officer academy starts in december. JCOC academy for new GSN, DSO, DPO I and DPO II residential begins in february.
Old 11-08-2013, 8:21 AM

Got it. Thanks again
Old 11-08-2013, 9:22 PM

Your welcome
Old 11-09-2013, 6:07 PM

Hi CaptMike,

I just sent you a PM. Hope you have the time to respond. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2013, 7:20 PM

Already responded. Keep up the good work, your almost there.
Old 11-10-2013, 9:24 AM

Easy, keep studying
Old 11-10-2013, 10:25 AM

Thank you so much CaptMike. I will keep on top of our current material along with what will be coming next week.
Old 11-13-2013, 6:15 PM

@capt mike. So I passed the medical eval but failed psych eval. I know I have to appeal. Does this happen often? What are your thoughts
Old 11-13-2013, 8:03 PM

I have heard of people winning the appeal on the psych. Its not that common but it happens.. I believe one of the things you would have to do for that appeal is request that you be evaluated by your own psychologist. That will come out of your own pocket. It can get expensive and its not guaranteed that you'll pass the psych or that the department will accept your psychs evaluation. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2013, 9:30 PM

Hello, I'm new to this feed I've been reading everyones posts about the process for DPO 1. I applied in Feb 2013, took the written test in April, took the oral interview in July passed and was placed on band 1 with a scored of 100, received a background packet in Sept then met with my BI, I was called in October that my application was expedited and that I was scheduled to take my Medical, Poly and both portions of the psych. I received a letter stating that I had passed my medical clearance this weekend. When I took my psych I was told I had passed both portions right then and there. I had to take my poly twice but passed the second time. Now I am just waiting for my background to clear. I have asked my BI how things were going and when my references would be contacted and all he said was that my application was still processing and that in regards to my references being contacted that he didn't handle that portion of my background and that the background went through different reviews. I wanted to know if anyone on here had had a similar experience going through with the process and if I could get any insight on how the academy was and if it was very physical like lapd or sheriffs academies. Thank you.
Old 11-18-2013, 6:42 AM

the Academy is very physical but it is a lot shorter than LASD or LAPD. The jcoc Academy and field core academies are no more than 7 weeks long. You will be doing lots of the physical training that includes core body workouts. Expect to be working out at least 3 times a week. If you are not working out now, you need to start. Concentrate on core body workout such as planks, push ups, abdominals, etc. Good luck
Old 11-18-2013, 8:37 AM

@CaptMike great,thank you so much for the response.
Old 11-18-2013, 9:22 AM

Good luck to everyone in the process I hope we all get a call to start the academy in feb
Old 11-25-2013, 8:26 PM

Just received my background packet today! I interviewed back in August and scored a 98. I'm really excited to be moving forward. This is the career of my dreams and hope I can attain it. However, after reading through the background packet I have become somewhat nervous. I'm not a bad person, have never been arrested for any reason, never done drugs, but have done petty things that I am sure many others have. I hope I am not disqualified for something I did several years back or for something that was out of my control. I will just be honest and hope it all works out in the end!

I have a couple of questions for anyone that can answer them: In the background packet you are asked if you have ever driven under the influence. Even drinking one beer would technically mean that you are under the influence, so do I have to answer yes? Also, during the background process can they look into our medical records? I have sought therapeutic counseling in the past and was wondering if that would affect me?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 PM

From what my background investigator and polygraph proctor told me, just be honest. They would rather you come clean about past indiscretions rather than hide it. Then it would be much worse if it were to come out later.

They understand we might have experimented or made mistakes. So, as long you come clean and prove that was in the past and now you have been working hard to improve. Be honest with your answers.

I do not recall if they ask about any type of counseling, including therapeutic counseling. But I do recall getting asked about that for the psych interview. Maybe when CaptMike comes back and gets the chance he can answer your question.