Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 03-07-2013, 9:06 PM

Default Humid safe

I bought a Sentry document safe on craigslist because it seemed like a happy medium between not having a safe and spending $1000 on a gun safe (which tend to be large and hard to fit in apartments). It is decently heavy and well sized (160lbs, 2cu ft) and retails for about $500. It seemed like a good size for my 6 handguns, ammo and mags. After looking at the manual, I see it specifically warns against storing firearms or anything with moving parts as the fireproof insulation that is used in it is naturally moist. Each of the guns is in a silicon borestore case. What is the best dehumidification option here? I do not want to risk all of these guns rusting but I am kind of stuck with this safe as I already purchased it and bolted it down. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I am a little panicked about all of these guns rusting but this seemed like the safest affordable storage option for me at this time. Please help.
Old 03-07-2013, 9:16 PM

keep them oiled and strip them down to oil the parts every couple months. vacuum bags with dessicates are good for long term i hear.
Old 03-08-2013, 6:43 AM

The document safe uses evaporative cooling to protect the documents. Consider a semi longterm storage solution, depending on how often you use them, and do quarterly maint.
Old 03-08-2013, 6:47 AM
Veteran Member

oil and golden rod
Ive been able to get away with just oil but will be moving to Alabama so I will need more protection
Old 03-08-2013, 6:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjkearns View Post
oil and golden rod
Ive been able to get away with just oil but will be moving to Alabama so I will need more protection
Ditto
Old 03-08-2013, 4:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a Sentry document safe that has the same problem, and because of that I never use it. I have 2 other large safes (One is sitting right next to this one) and neither of them have ANY issue at all. The Sentry will make a dollar bill feel like it went through the washing machine after about 3 hours WITH silica packs in there, which is pretty bad considering the Champion right next to it doesn't even have any sort of dehumidification at all. I'm sure if you use some extra precautions you'd be alright, but like I said, I don't use mine. I haven't tried putting my golden rod in it because the one I have is too big for the little Sentry but honestly I doubt it would work. I think it has something to do with the plastic lining on the inside.

IMO you should try to sell it and find another used gun safe online somewhere. IIRC I paid something like $579 (new) for my smaller Champion safe which holds about 10 rifles and the shelf space is probably about as much usable space as the stupid Sentry offers. I'd imagine you could find a similar one used for under $400.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood
Old 03-08-2013, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

dehumidifier and silica gel

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcat...ensionid=10790

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858...eet-110v-black
Old 03-08-2013, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

THISj i: