Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-12-2013, 6:39 PM

Default ISI Speed Gun Match Feedback

Several of you came out to our first ISI Speed Gun Match in January. I'm looking for a little feedback, love to know what you thought of it. We are always trying to improve our stages, suggestions and stage scenarios are always welcome. For anyone that hasn't been out, third Saturday of every month is the speed gun match at ISI.

Thank you for your time in advance,

Nathan

www.isishootists.com
Old 02-12-2013, 7:10 PM

I went out and gave it a try.
My honest opinion is there is to much IDPAness going on. By this I mean, stages where you HAVE to shoot from here and you HAVE to shoot this from there etc...
One stage required the shooter to stand on a railroad tie with a spray paint mark on it where you had to shoot certain targets then step over the spray paint line and shoot some more then step off the tie and shoot some others?

While I applaud ISI for trying something new it came off as an IDPA match with more shooting. Why not let the shooter solve the stage rather than tell him how he must shoot it?
I will give it a try again, but for now I'm sticking to action pistol across the way.
Old 02-12-2013, 7:16 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

I would love to see some printed rules somewhere.

Scott
Old 02-12-2013, 7:17 PM

USPSA matches that I've shot have had similar must shoot from box A move to Box B scenarios. I defiantly see the similarity to an IDPA stage. Maybe stage it more to where targets can only be shot from certain angles based on obstructions and no-shoots vs boxes and lines.

www.isishootists.com
Old 02-12-2013, 7:22 PM

This from the website... The ISI Speed Gun match is intended to provide a competition where all types of centerfire non-magnum handguns with whatever type of safe holster you choose (except shoulder, ankle, behind the back... holsters because of range safety requirements) can compete in a fun, safe and challenging environment. The courses of fire will be designed to pose strategic problems for the shooter to solve and will reward overall speed of shooting and speed of movement.

There will not be a power factor requirement. You may shoot whatever factory or handloaded ammunition you wish.

In general, there will be five stages requiring 25-30 rounds each...so 125-150 rounds will be needed for the match.

The scoring system will be classic "Comstock;" score divided by time, without a separate penalty for a missed shot. Hits on "no-shoot" targets will each incur a 10 point penalty. When targets are scored "best two hits to count," as a scoring bonus, any target that has three or more hits with at least one being in the "A" zone will be considered "smoked" and will be scored the maximum points available for the target.

In order to insure consistency of scoring and rule interpretation, ISI range officers will conduct each stage.

As at the other ISI club matches, you may sign-up at any time between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., may shoot the stages without having to be assigned to a squad, in any order, at your convenience, and are not required or expected to set-up or to tear-down any stages or props. We believe you come to a match to have fun and learn, not to work.

As far as printed rules and regs, I'll have to ask mike for them.

www.isishootists.com
Old 02-12-2013, 7:25 PM

Yes, ISI is all about IDPA, which is fine. Heck even there old IPSC match was IDPAish. I think it's difficult to get away from that mindset.

Stages should be designed for speed in mind if the event is called Speed Gun.
Here's the stage, burn it down! No restrictions aside from the obvious danger close steel engagement, other than that. BURN IT DOWN!!
Old 02-12-2013, 7:31 PM

No chewing bubblegum and walking, got it!

www.isishootists.com
Old 02-12-2013, 9:34 PM

More movement would be nice. I know some of the bays are shallow, but there is still a lot of room to advance, or zig zag. Some of the regional/state/national championship matches I've seen on youtube or powerfactorshow have more movement. Adding more targets is not as appealing as physically navigating a scenaio, and even better if there is ore than one way to get through the stage. This way people have to pick a strategy and see if it works.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Bay 5 is the shallowest bay and usually the fastest of the day, close and personal. My bay is 4 and usually the most complicated having to move both laterally and advancing, people usually complain about my stage needing too much thinking. Bay 3 is usually has the long shots and could have the zig and the zag going on. Bay 2 usually has the cars as props and the movable shoot house walls. Bay 1 is narrow but long and bay 0 is where we use to have the jungle run, now it's a short bay but you can incorporate the mountain and the trail for a little fun. She's got potential!

www.isishootists.com
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 PM

Last time they were just the IDPA stages modified by mostly adding targets. Since they will be taken down after the match, maybe they can move the stuff (barricades, etc) around the bay a bit more.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 PM

We shall see what mike and Steve come up with.

www.isishootists.com
Old 02-13-2013, 6:44 AM

I think the new rules are interesting and a good stage designer can make some interesting stages. For example how to use the smoke target which may be a distance thing. For example a paper target at 50 yards, throw 6 at it and hope you smoke it. Maybe some close hoser paper for on the mopve but spread out in such a manner it maybe faster to smoke them at speed than to send controlled pairs on the move.

What it really comes down to is stage setters. If you have shooters that mostly shoot idpa set up the stages it will look like idpa. What this match needs maybe is some legit uspsa guys who shoot modern uspsa. I love dalton but he is a bit old school. This match needs some you uspsa lawyer types who know the rules well enough to break them with abandon in a fun way. This will really make it interesting.

If word gets out there is this new super freestyle match format people will come. Nobody wants regimented shooting where it's the same thing, that is unless you like things like steel challenge.