Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Default LC Brass Question

I got ahold of 100 pieces of "new" .308 brass that is supposed to be Lake City Match It has LC MATCH headstamp with manufacture year (not all the same year) Question is,,, each case has a small rippled machine mark (a set of small verticle lines, side by side, going around the case body about 3/8ths inch above the case head), and I see no indications of any annealing iris that is usually visible in once fired Lake City brass. It is suposedly new, but I thought the annealing iris woild be there even in new brass, and I don;t think I've seen this set of little verticle lines that go around the whole case before.

Anyone out there have/seen any new LC Match brass,,, any experience with it? Did I get a bad buy,,, some knock-off copy?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Picture? I think I know what your talking about but a picture would help.
Old 02-12-2013, 1:28 PM

Kyle OK,, I see the same markings above the head on the pic you show here. These I have look as clean as the ones in your pic,,, but I do see evidence in yours of annealing,, discoloration that is expected in Mil brass at the neck,, but the stuff I have appears not to have that. I wonder if lake City Armory anneals the rounds just before reloading and this stuff was acquired before that process. It does look brand new (as advertised) but no annealing evidence at all. As I got it at a gun show I can;t ask the seller about the annealing etc, thus my posting here to get info from y'all experienced guys.
Old 02-12-2013, 9:37 PM

Older LC M852 match cartridges were stamped LC, year, and "MATCH". The longitudinal lines around the perimeter of the case near the base were to facilitate recognition that the cartridge was "not for combat use" and the boxes the ammo was packaged in were so marked. Perfectly fine to reload.