Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Riverside Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2016, 6:13 PM

Default Just discovered Steele Peak - couple questions before i go

I just discovered this shooting area and before I go, I have a question - I've seen a few threads about maintaining the land so I'll bring garbage bags to bring out what I can, a few vids that tell me it's some beautiful land and is relatively remote. My question is this - I only have a small Japanese hatch back - will this suffice? I hope not having an suv or truck won't prevent me from enjoying this range
TIA
Old 05-12-2016, 6:39 PM

If you don't have decent ground clearance, I wouldn't risk it. Unless you're willing to park at the entrance and hike in.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Haven't been in a while but you probably wont even clear the initial rise and dip to just get in let alone the first hill which can get pretty rocky and rutted depending on the weather... Your probably going to need to park and hike in.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member

How did you find out about it?
Old 05-13-2016, 12:55 AM
CGSSA Leader

I took a Prius up the hill a couplemonths ago

Old 05-13-2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purer00r View Post
I took a Prius up the hill a couplemonths ago
Hill? What hill?

Ain't nothin' comin' between purer00r and his trigger time.

Old 05-13-2016, 5:51 AM

It all boils down to driving skills. My friend drives up in a Toyota Matrix. And I've seen a guy in a Saturn sedan. Seen them half-way up before the big drop by the mining cave. That's alot of BLM real estate for little cars.
Old 05-13-2016, 9:36 AM

Thanks guys for all the responses - i feel a little more confused now - so, i can drive to the entrance & hike in - how far would i have to hike before i would get to a shooting area? i would have guns, ammo, targets etc - plus bags & stuff for clean up. starting to sound like my search for a new place to shoot might still be ongoing

i heard of this place from a friend who had just heard about it from a co-worker.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpCA View Post
Thanks guys for all the responses - i feel a little more confused now - so, i can drive to the entrance & hike in - how far would i have to hike before i would get to a shooting area? i would have guns, ammo, targets etc - plus bags & stuff for clean up. starting to sound like my search for a new place to shoot might still be ongoing

i heard of this place from a friend who had just heard about it from a co-worker.
IF you are going by yourself, you will need something like this http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Carts-...3165733&sr=1-1

IF going with more than one person, you might be able to carry everything yourselves though youll likely need to do more than one trip. I dont like that option when guns are involved since Im not comfortable leaving guns in a car in desolate places like Steele Peake. Even for a minute.

IF You can get that wagon into your car, you should be able to shoot pretty easily. Pretty much after the first hill you only have to go a few hundred yards to find nice spots to shoot. IF you go on a weekend you may have to go over a mile as the place gets packed so I wouldn't bother if you are going on weekends BUT I wouldnt bother going on weekends even if you had a badass Wrangler with all the bells and whistles. I hate crowds
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

Before you hate on Mormons, remember that John Moses Browning was born to the 2nd wife of a Mormon polygamist
Old 05-13-2016, 8:51 PM

Wouldn't bother going at all. Full of trash and trashy people. Not too mention some of the people here will get butthurt for "using muh BLM land"
Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member

Do not take a small sub compact or commuter car up there. While you might make it up the slope near the entrance. Your tashing your suspension, cv boots all which are hundreds of $$$ to shoot .45 cent 556 or 25 cent 762x39 into a mountain side. I owned a 06 Nissan Xterra 4x4 and would take it there and would see people take their FWD cars up and do stupid things.

Find a nice BLM spot where its flat and you can drive in like the front. Ricochets are common from dumbasses setting up targets on rocks, morons will go hot when your down range and will shoot off rounds close to your area. Only time i would go is at 0700 in am or 0800 or so before the big crowds get there.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 05-13-2016 at 10:25 PM..
Old 06-18-2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
Wouldn't bother going at all. Full of trash and trashy people. Not too mention some of the people here will get butthurt for "using muh BLM land"

It's getting worse and worse.

Where do you recommend?

I was out at B canyon a month or so ago and there were some weirdos there when I arrived in the turn out ahead of mine. They weren't shooting
Old 06-18-2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
Wouldn't bother going at all. Full of trash and trashy people."
I was there yesterday. I left early because it didnt feel safe. There was an idiot to my left bump firing an AK all over the hill side. on top of that I heard the constant distinct sounds or ricochets coming from who knows where.
Old 06-19-2016, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

As a general rule, only go to BLM early in the morning on week days. Week ends mean HUGE crowds and crowds mean lots of unsafe idiots. I'm not down for that. I don't even shoot at ranges on weekends or holidays, with the freedoms of BLM I wouldn't feel safe either
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

Before you hate on Mormons, remember that John Moses Browning was born to the 2nd wife of a Mormon polygamist