Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:20 PM

Thumbs up My first AR- SIG 516 upper on Addax Billet Lower: with pics

I've been trying to get this built since August, and its finally ready to shoot. Started with an Addax Tactical Billet Lower with CMMG LPK and a POF Enhanced buffer tube- Addax did a trigger job for me, and it breaks clean at about 5 lbs with no take up or creep. Next I slapped on a TI-7 stock and Magpul MOE Plus grip. It took about 2 months to get the stripped lower itself.

Then all hell broke loose in late December. I didn't panic or freak out to grab parts, I already had the most important ones anyway, but I saw the writing on the wall- get the upper asap before prices go ape****. I called Sig Sauer to find out what the lead time was on a backordered 516 upper. I spoke to Aaron in c.s., who was a kick *** guy. We basically just shot the **** on the phone talking about random stuff for 20 minutes. He finally said "So, you wanna order this bad boy or what." Hell yes, that's why I called, how long will the wait be..."I can get it to you in 3-4 weeks no sweat." I'm pretty sure I got 2nd degree burns on my fingers from whipping out my amex card so fast. True to his word, the upper arrived in the mail 3 weeks after I ordered it, and I didn't have to pay some stupid price gouger for it.

Got the upper and lower slapped together, installed a BCM Gunfighter Mod4 charging handle, and cleaned and lubed the entire upper. Next I threw some Troy BUIS on the top, and a Tangodown stubby vfg. Here's the final product as is...I'm still waiting for my magazines and ammo in the mail which should be arriving next week, as well as a Vickers padded VCAS sling with QD swivels.

I must say I'm impressed with the build quality of the Sig upper. Only one odd things happened though..
When I first pulled back the factory charging handle, I could smell a distinct burning smell, and I'm pretty sure I saw a puff of smoke once or twice when I pulled it back. The charging handle felt real gritty, like the inside of the receiver had a burr. I noticed extreme wear on the top right side of the handle. I was getting a little concerned something wasn't right, so I went to consult the wonderful wizard or google. I forget what forum I found it on, but it looks like some people had the same issue, and that this can be normal with any new AR. I figured what the hell, I have the new charging handle on the way, so I just used the standard one to smooth out the rails inside the receiver. I stripped all the lube off the charging handle and ran it through over and over again. Im pretty sure that smoothed out the burr, because my BCM handle is much smoother in operation now and doesn't show signs of excessive wear as of yet.

Next step....optics. I swear, having an AR is like owning a muscle car. You can always upgrade or fiddle with it... it's a damn money pit, but it's fun all the same. Also, a special thanks to everyone at Addax: Justin, Chris, and Lale for their outstanding customer service and excellent products.

Sorry its just a crappy cell pic, I promise to post detailed pics along with a full range report when I take it out for a test run.

Last edited by Medic451; 01-18-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on the first AR. I'm glad it came together while avoiding current market prices.
Old 01-18-2013, 3:22 PM

Grats man. I have a Sig516 complete rifle. Shoots great and stays very clean with the piston system and froglube. Looks great.