Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM

Default Legality of Family handgun transfer to a minor?

Hi everyone, im 19 years old, and go my first handgun last christmas. I know I can get the handgun transferred into my name, but i read Penal Code 12026, and it seemed very vague, and never seemed to guarantee that i can own, posses, and keep a handgun.

Im trying to convince my parents of the legality of this transfer, but im having trouble finding a penal code. If anyone can point me in the direction of that, or maybe a court case, that confirms that i can possess a handgun, i would be very grateful.

- Thanks much
Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyfly View Post
Hi everyone, im 19 years old, and go my first handgun last christmas. I know I can get the handgun transferred into my name, but i read Penal Code 12026, and it seemed very vague, and never seemed to guarantee that i can own, posses, and keep a handgun.

Im trying to convince my parents of the legality of this transfer, but im having trouble finding a penal code. If anyone can point me in the direction of that, or maybe a court case, that confirms that i can possess a handgun, i would be very grateful.

- Thanks much
Minors can't own handguns, but luckily you are now an adult. The Section of California's penal code that you can show your parents is 27875...

Quote:
27875. Section 27545 does not apply to the transfer of a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm, by gift, bequest, intestate succession, or other means from one individual to another, if all of the following requirements are met:
(a) The transfer is infrequent, as defined in Section 16730.
(b) The transfer is between members of the same immediate family.
(c) Within 30 days of taking possession of the firearm, the person to whom it is transferred shall forward by prepaid mail, or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report that includes information concerning the individual taking possession of the firearm, how title was obtained and from whom, and a description of the firearm in question. The report forms that individuals complete pursuant to this section shall be provided to them by the Department of Justice.
(d) The person taking title to the firearm shall first obtain a handgun safety certificate, if the firearm is a handgun.
(e) The person receiving the firearm is 18 years of age or older.
What is it about penal code section 12026 (under the old numbering system) that you think restricts your ownership or possession of a handgun? It's a list of exemptions to the concealed carry restriction.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 01-17-2013, 7:14 PM

All you need to do is get your handgun saftey card which is a test u can take at any gun dealer. Then file a Intrafamilial gun transfer form with the Doj. Quick, easy, and simple
Old 01-19-2013, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
Minors can't own handguns, but luckily you are now an adult. The Section of California's penal code that you can show your parents is 27875...

What is it about penal code section 12026 (under the old numbering system) that you think restricts your ownership or possession of a handgun? It's a list of exemptions to the concealed carry restriction.
Exactly what i was looking for, thank you. Librarian said in one of his threads that Penal code 12026 made it pretty clear that anyone under 21 could posses a handgun, but when i looked at it, the language seemed quite vague.

Cracker, i know how to do it, im asking about the legality of it
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Oh lol my bad but yes perfectly legal even though majority of law enforcement and FFL's are unaware