Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-21-2013, 3:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

All of my stuff shipped from Grafs in 3 weeks except the 45acp dies and xl650 press.

Stuff that shipped

Aluminum Roller Handle
Bullet Tray
Strong Mount
Extra Toolhead
Cover
Case Feeder (large pistol)
Toolhead stand
9mm Conversion Kit (I bought the dies at Turners)
Hornady small pistol case feeder plate (compatible with Dillon Case Feeder)

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 02-26-2013, 4:51 PM

My order is now complete, the 223 dies showed up today. I ordered them from BE on 1/7/13.

Old 02-26-2013, 5:06 PM

So far I have received the DVD and hat, Got tracking # and charge for caliber conversion. Been wanted to load .223 but I sold my dies, lucky me though redding shipped me out all my dies already, and they are beautiful.
Old 02-27-2013, 6:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ordered my 1050 today in 9mm carbide. Then also bought everything else I needed for .223 in carbide. Plus a bunch of other accessories.

The wait begins. lol
Old 02-28-2013, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, some of my order was shipped today, $553 worth. Now only $2175 to be billed and I will be a happy camper.
Old 02-28-2013, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I received my stuff 2 weeks ago... and still haven't had the time to unbox it and put my reloading bench together...

Albert Einstein
Old 02-28-2013, 8:44 PM

Not to rub it n..
Got my Dillon 550 brand new in one day off a fellow Calgunner for $400
Got my lee dies in 4 days from Fs reloading
Got my .40and 9mm conversion kit from Brian Enos in 6 days
Bought primers and powder from discount shooter supply in Sac.
Got brass from craigslist at a decent price.
Just need bullets.
A lot was right place at right time!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgcabs View Post
I put my order in with Brian for a 650 9, 45 and the usual stuff on 1/14, paid in full....I have received NOTHING.
Today I received all my stuff except the 650, roller handle and conversion kit. Now I get to stare at my dies and case feeder.
Old 03-01-2013, 4:38 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by California44 View Post
I have a 650 press, 45 die, mount, spare parts kit. I want to order the case feeder but don't want to be a frequent visitor to this thread, but, has anyone recently ordered a case feeder and how long is it taking?

http://www.grafs.com/catalog/product.../3190/inline/1

In-stock right now.

Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgcabs View Post
Today I received all my stuff except the 650, roller handle and conversion kit. Now I get to stare at my dies and case feeder.
What's so great about the upgraded roller handle? Is the stock handle not so great?
Old 03-02-2013, 8:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by California44 View Post
What's so great about the upgraded roller handle? Is the stock handle not so great?
When loading larger batches, I think it is easier on the hands. Definitely not needed, but makes it a little more pleasing.

Old 03-02-2013, 8:59 AM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Placed my order at BE yesterday for a DL650 with case feeder setup for 40 and 45. Went with the deluxe toolhead package for the 40. Seems like a heck of a lot easier to deal with changing calibers. In with both feet!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wanted to jump in with the second toolhead, but the wife thought it would be a good idea to get the 1050 and with what I spent I did not want to look greedy. I am very lucky my wife supports my hobbies. I toolhead and the dillon electric brass trimmer are on my list next.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM

I ordered 2/8 (I think) 550 "as it should be" from BE.
I've received enough from Brian & Dillon to know they have my address right.
Of course I knew it would be a long wait, going in - so I have to time to cleanup the garage and find components ;-)
Old 03-03-2013, 9:05 AM

Most of the action and demand is centered on the .223. All of the materials, components, ancillary equipment is not some finite commodity. All of the price gouging and waiting will go away, the manufacturers are ramping up by using outside subcontractors. There are plenty of precision machine shops that can easily hold the tolerances to turn dies and mill the castings. Paying double or triple for a .223 die set or swager is ludicrous. In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and say that within 1 year there will be a glut of used equipment on the marketplace. Reloading isn't for everyone.

Dog
Old 03-04-2013, 2:49 PM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

So I told Brian Enos that if I did something stupid with my order to call me on it. He just called me. He didn't call me stupid, but he did just save me $172. I ordered the "as it should be" option and also the Strong Mount, Bullet Tray,Aluminum Roller Handle. (The were in the order individually, and also in
the As it Should BE Upgrade.)

Also didn't need the small case feed plate yet because I am starting with 40 and 45 and he caught that too.

+1 for ordering it from Brian Enos.
Old 03-04-2013, 3:47 PM

Gotta love the 650 goodlookin1! My first and only reloader.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
Old 03-04-2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShack View Post
Gotta love the 650 goodlookin1! My first and only reloader.
So far I do love it. There are certainly some quirks about it, things I didnt realize, etc.....but overall I love it. Things I didnt realize:

1) Quick change kits are really not that quick, especially going from small primer to large primer rounds.

2) Really inconvenient locations for certain things....namely the primer seater assembly change out.

3) How much of a pain it can be if something goes wrong in the process (no primer, spilled powder everywhere)

4) Fine tuning is more difficult that I thought

5) Makes you realize just how long brass prep takes and how you hate doing it

6) Once up and running, makes you realize just HOW SLOW your old process of reloading was (coming from a turret press).

I think as I get the hang of it, I will get faster and faster and get to know the press better and just do stuff without thinking (well, okay not being completely brain dead, but you know what I mean). Personally, I think it would be awesome to have two 650's: One for Small Rifle/Pistol, and one for Large Rifle/Pistol. Until that day (if ever), I think I'll just bulk load calibers a lot more than I am used to. This isnt the right setup to do 200 at a time and then change. If you reload for the range trip the day before and have lots of different calibers, this is not the setup for you. Its for people who will stick to one caliber for a few days, then move on to the next for a few days, and so on.

All I have to say is that this thing is just BEGGING for a bullet feeder!
Old 03-04-2013, 7:46 PM

Tell me about it. Took me an hour to get everything just right but once you get it all good to go it is a speed demon. But you are SOOO right about the mess if you skip a primer. My powder dispenser always spills for some reason too

Old 03-04-2013, 7:57 PM

And yeah ive been reloading 40 s&w and want to get 223 dies but I was debating on getting the quick change. I think you just helped me make up my mind.

Haven't changed out the system for another caliber yet either. Seems like its not a very fun process. How long did it take you to change out the whole system from small primers to large?

Old 03-04-2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedArmory View Post
Just ordered and decent price. Let's hope it was actually in stock. Day zero and counting.

Thanks AlliedArmory
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM

What do you guys think about having a quick change powder set up one for pistol and one for rifle? I realize you would have to unthread the powder container, do you think its a good idea or not?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Well I am not having to wait much. Messaged the owner of a local shop and he has 4 in stock so I am picking a 550 up tonight.

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 03-05-2013, 1:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So I ordered my 1050 a week ago. I got a package from them today. I thought one of the long waits were for .223 dies? I got my carbide today. Amongst a several other things that were in stock.
Old 03-05-2013, 5:53 PM

Look what I had waiting at my door when I got home from work. It only took 8weeks.
Old 03-05-2013, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got my dies in 6 days, .223.
Old 03-06-2013, 9:34 PM

I just picked up a dillon 650 this weekend in Reno with all the bells and whistles. I guess I got lucky to find one in a gun shop. Only problem is they didn't have all the conversions i needed so now I am also one of the guys waiting for some blue packages in the mail.
Old 03-07-2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post
I ordered 2/8 (I think) 550 "as it should be" from BE.
Have received everything except the press and extra pickup tubes.

I still have time to clean the garage....
Old 03-09-2013, 8:10 AM

I ordered my XL650 on 2/8 along with everything else needed to reload for handguns. Everything has trickled in the past few weeks and the press itself will be here today. It's going to be like Christmas all over again. Knowing several months ago that I had plans to reload, I started buying components before all the craziness started and so now that my press will be here I am ready to get started.
Old 03-09-2013, 9:17 AM

Quote:
And yeah ive been reloading 40 s&w and want to get 223 dies but I was debating on getting the quick change. I think you just helped me make up my mind.

Haven't changed out the system for another caliber yet either. Seems like its not a very fun process. How long did it take you to change out the whole system from small primers to large?
It'll probably take you a while your first few times, but it's less then 10 once you get it down...
Old 03-09-2013, 9:27 AM

Quote:

I will tell you this with certainty: (1 > 2 > 3)

1) Get two presses: One for large primer, one for small primer. At a minimum. Obviously it would not be cost effective if you reload for a ton of different calibers, like me, to get a press for each caliber.....although that would be flipping awesome . For most people, this just isnt feasible. With the amount that I reload, I'd rather spend more time changing stuff out than spend another $1200.....unless of course I was selling my ammo, but I dont have an FFL license. I just dont need to reload that much and in my case, time is NOT money on the weekends.

2) Get the DELUXE quick change kits from Brian Enos: (powder die, toolhead, powder measure, toolhead stand, etc). This makes MUCH shorter work of any necessary caliber/primer system change out. Also get a quick change priming system.....this negates having to take the priming system apart and changing out the wheel from small to large primers....just bolt the entire new sized priming system down. There's only two different sizes (small, large), so it wont cost you that much more (I think like $81 or something?)

3) This is a FAR DOWN, last resort option. Buy standard caliber conversion kits (toolhead and powder die) and face the pain. You will be required to re-set up your powder measure to dispense the proper amount every single time you change calibers. You will be required to take apart the priming system to change the wheel out if going to a different sized primer. You will hand-feed cases one my one without the casefeeder. It would take so long to do all this that, in fact, I would never change calibers. I would only do this if you reload for one caliber as it will literally take you an hour to two hours to get it all figured out and set up properly every single time you change calibers....and I would still DEFINITELY get the casefeeder.

I will include one option outside of caliber changes, because I think with the 650, it is absolutely essential: Casefeeder. If you dont have one, you will likely only be able to load 25% of what you could WITH a casefeeder. The 650 is just made to use one.....really awkward sticking a case in with your hand instead of using the casefeeding system.

Other things you will need for a caliber change: Likely both sizes of priming system (small, large), small and large primer pickup tubes, proper sized shell plates for different sized cases, casefeeder plates for different shell sizes (small rifle, large rifle, magnum rifle, small pistol, large pistol).

I'm sure there's something I am forgetting, but generally, these are the main components that will enable you to change out calibers the fastest and reload the fastest. To sum up:

1) Casefeeder for speed and ease of reloading
2) Both Quick change priming systems
3) Deluxe quick change caliber conversion kits
4) Get a shop vac with a small, tight nozzle for all the powder you will be spilling when getting used to the new press

To change calibers and if you have all bells and whistles, going from small pistol to large rifle, you must:

1) remove toolhead
2) unscrew and remove shell plate
3) unscrew and remove small primer feeding system
4) go underneath and remove primer exit tray
5) stay underneath and remove small primer seating system
6) replace small with large priming seating system
7) replace primer exit tray
8) get up and bolt down large rifle priming feeding system
9) bolt down appropriate shell plate
10) remove and replace casefeeder shell adapter
11) remove and replace casefeeder shell plate for large rifle plate

Your 650 should now be completely changed over to a new caliber and with large priming in place. Without all the bells and whistles, there's probably an additional 10-15 steps that take a loooong time.

Last edited by goodlookin1; 03-09-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Old 03-10-2013, 9:01 PM

Sign me up on the wait list. Just placed the order for my XL650 setup for .40 s&w, case feeder, lots of primer tubes, cover, dies, case gauge, as it should be kit with strong mount, aluminum roller handle,and bullet tray, powder check system, primer flip tray, tool holder and bench wrench, bullet puller and spare parts kit. Can't wait to start loading!
Old 03-12-2013, 9:12 AM

In case anyone is interested, Grafs has RL 550b's in stock w/o caliber conversion kits. They still have 40/10mm conversion kits in stock as well as other necessary parts. I just ordered a complete 550 setup for .40. Delivery is estimated at 3-4 weeks rather than the 6-8 from benos.

Just a heads up.
Old 03-16-2013, 3:42 PM

We have a 1050 in stock at Barnwood Ripon. We also have some conversion kits and a few die sets.
Old 03-16-2013, 4:04 PM

the low powder alarm is a waste of $ in my opinion. you can visually see how much powder is left, now if you got the powder check system that is a good call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltken View Post
I also ordered the 650, im going without the casefeed and powder alarm.. Havent heard a time frame yet.. Ordered it about two weeks ago though... :/
Old 03-16-2013, 4:16 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Ordered a .45acp caliber conversion kit and die set for my 650 on 2/15. Received the conversion kit three days ago. Dies are still pending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer135 View Post
the low powder alarm is a waste of $ in my opinion. you can visually see how much powder is left, now if you got the powder check system that is a good call...
I rigged a dental-type mirror and LED light to shine into the case at the bullet seating station so that I can do a visual inspection without shifting position (which I had to do previously since I'm only using 3.0gr of Titegroup...ain't a lot of it in the case to see).
Old 03-16-2013, 7:16 PM

I'm almost ready to purchase the S 1050 with the carbide option.. I noticed the Dillon Super 1050 purchase page doesn't provide an interactive purchase guide like the 650.
Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the Dillon .223 Rem/Carbide seating die for the Redding competition bullet seating die?

iroquois
Old 03-16-2013, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquois View Post
I'm almost ready to purchase the S 1050 with the carbide option.. I noticed the Dillon Super 1050 purchase page doesn't provide an interactive purchase guide like the 650.
Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the Dillon .223 Rem/Carbide seating die for the Redding competition bullet seating die?

iroquois
Dont see why you couldnt do that.....I thought all Dillons can use different brand dies as long as the threads conform to the standard die threading?

Admittedly, I dont know much about 1050's
Old 03-16-2013, 9:12 PM

The 1050's take standard dies soo yes you could use the redding die
Old 03-16-2013, 9:17 PM

Got my 650 yesterday,, nearly 8 weeks, so I have everything but the 223 dies.

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/