Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 1:40 PM

Default Fist time CCW course/instructor recommendations

I recently moved to Lincoln from Martinez and am looking to begin the process to obtain my first CCW permit. I see the list of instructors and training classes on the placer.ca.gov site but would like to ask for any real world praise and positive feedback so I can narrow the choice. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 1:44 PM

Good luck with your ccw, hopefully someone can help you. In the desert, I am limited to only one approved instructor.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 01-04-2013, 1:47 PM

besthandguntraining.com, located in Lincoln. =)

Great instructor and is very active in our rights.

www.KEOKEphotography.com
Old 01-04-2013, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I am going through Chris Seale. Check it out www.conseale.com
He is very affordable and quite nice to deal with. January classes are full but he still has room for February. Maybe see you then.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 34" ported barrels & removable Chokes
BT-99 with 34" ported barrel, adjustable comb, removable chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 AM

I'm not sure how much you want to drive but if you are up to Sacramento, I'd highly recommend Wesley Lagomarsino(http://lfiguns.com/) and Joe Truesdale.

Very good environment for learning. They keep the range very safe. They cover the laws very well and keep the class lively with their stories. Even during the range exercises, they observe everyone and offer hints to help.

One of their big emphasis during the CCW class is de-escalation of a situation is the primary goal of carry... not killing or shooting the "bad guy".

I have taken their level 2 and 3 CCW classes since.

Last edited by LTC-J; 01-05-2013 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: type error
Old 01-05-2013, 7:37 PM

Thanks for all the feedback folks! I'm looking into all of these. I just ordered a FR TRP which my FFL should have next week so Feb would be perfect. Probably the least practical CCW but The NIB price was over $400 less than what I see them listed for used here. And... it's a TRP!
Old 01-06-2013, 4:25 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC-J View Post
I'm not sure how much you want to drive but if you are up to Sacramento, I'd highly recommend Wesley Lagomarsino(http://lfiguns.com/) and Joe Truesdale.

Very good environment for learning. They keep the range very safe. They cover the laws very well and keep the class lively with their stories. Even during the range exercises, they observe everyone and offer hints to help.

One of their big emphasis during the CCW class is de-escalation of a situation is the primary goal of carry... not killing or shooting the "bad guy".

+1 for Wesley, not only is he a great guy but the class isn't all about shooting. It's more to do with WHEN to use deadly force and real world examples by both the instructors.

... to the OP wth is an FR TRP? The only real TRP is an SA 1911 IMHO

Last edited by vmwerks; 01-06-2013 at 4:29 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 6:15 AM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by knerona View Post
besthandguntraining.com, located in Lincoln. =)

Great instructor and is very active in our rights.
+1 on John

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-06-2013, 6:17 AM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Really? Descalation? So you're going to leave the bad guy out there to make a victim out of some unarmed civilian? How nice of you.

If someone is enough of a thug to threaten my life, they'll do the same to someone else should I fail to put them down. That one would then be on me, right?

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 01-06-2013, 6:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post
Really? Descalation? So you're going to leave the bad guy out there to make a victim out of some unarmed civilian? How nice of you.

If someone is enough of a thug to threaten my life, they'll do the same to someone else should I fail to put them down. That one would then be on me, right?
What he means is with respect to normal situations. If someone pulls a gun on you, bets are off...draw down and don't miss. What I'm talking about is before firearms are even presented. For example, the Old Sacramento shooting. It started with an argument at a bar fight. Yeah....thug was armed. Yeah....if it didn't happen today it could happen another day. However, it could have been avoided. I think if you don't have the right head on your shoulders to know that it is in EVERYONE's best interest to cool down a hot scenario rather than throw gas on it. Maybe a CCW/LTC isn't right for you.

We aren't vigilantes....but can be vigilant if the NEED arises. And yes....Wes is a great resource and I recommend him highly.

I've been jogging past a bunch of thuggish guys that wanted to throw punches for no reason than just beating down on a man by himself. I put my head down, walked away really fast. Yes....I probably looked like a whimp in their eyes. In my eyes, 5 guys lived that day.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Last edited by adrenaline; 01-06-2013 at 6:38 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 6:42 AM

Quote:

I second this recommendation ^^^^^. I had another instructor and these guys are way, way better.
'I own the guns I own because I acknowledge mankind's shortcomings instead of pretending like they don't exist. There are evil men in this world and there just may be a time when I need to do the unthinkable to protect me or my family,'
Joshua Boston

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics, is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." Plato
Old 01-06-2013, 8:45 AM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
What he means is with respect to normal situations. If someone pulls a gun on you, bets are off...draw down and don't miss. What I'm talking about is before firearms are even presented. For example, the Old Sacramento shooting. It started with an argument at a bar fight. Yeah....thug was armed. Yeah....if it didn't happen today it could happen another day. However, it could have been avoided. I think if you don't have the right head on your shoulders to know that it is in EVERYONE's best interest to cool down a hot scenario rather than throw gas on it. Maybe a CCW/LTC isn't right for you.

We aren't vigilantes....but can be vigilant if the NEED arises. And yes....Wes is a great resource and I recommend him highly.

I've been jogging past a bunch of thuggish guys that wanted to throw punches for no reason than just beating down on a man by himself. I put my head down, walked away really fast. Yes....I probably looked like a whimp in their eyes. In my eyes, 5 guys lived that day.
I would call that avoidance and I agree, it's the best approach.

Old 01-06-2013, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
+1 for Wesley, not only is he a great guy but the class isn't all about shooting. It's more to do with WHEN to use deadly force and real world examples by both the instructors.

... to the OP wth is an FR TRP? The only real TRP is an SA 1911 IMHO
Full Rail TRP, yes SA 1911
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln6echo View Post
Full Rail TRP, yes SA 1911
Sweet gun you'll LOVE it, only problem is that if you miss it's YOUR fault hahaha
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnufGarage View Post

adrenaline gave a better description of what I meant.

Basically the goal is to get your butt and those you love/protecting out of the situation... not to kill/shoot all bad guys in sight unless no option is available.

Both Joe and Wes stated multiple time, they are walking away unless no other option is allowed.

And yes, I will walk away from a situation without a second thought of engaging. Sorry, my life and my loved ones is more important. Hero pay sucks (ie there is none)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM

Color code of mental awareness, avoid the fight if possible. Don't need to make a lawyer rich.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 01-06-2013, 2:20 PM

besthandguntraining.com

use john, support local business plus a great guy
Old 01-07-2013, 6:09 PM

+1 for John at Best Hangun Training
Old 01-07-2013, 6:09 PM

+1 for John at Best Hangun Training
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be going through Wes at LFI. Only hear good things!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Just had my class yesterday with John at Best Handgun Training and could not have been more pleased. John has an impressive command of gun safety and the legal elements CCW applicants need to be aware of. I really enjoyed his class and hope to connect with him for some casual shooting in the future. Oh and my TRP rocked it!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

CCW classes are fun {IMO}
Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Anyone ever taken the one at the gun range in North Highlands?

http://www.thegunrange.biz/
Old 03-12-2013, 9:24 PM

I highly recommend gunlady1911. She offers 1-on-1 classes at the same price as any of these other classes where you sit in a class with a ton of other people. Her one-on-one training is real hands-on training, which includes holster draw and shoot, shoot and move scenarios, etc. Her excellent instruction and training gives you a much better handle of your weapon than the run of the mill, lets just put in the time to get it over with type of class. Here is her website:http://www.gunlady1911.com/ Check her out on Yelp too. What is great is she is very flexible for days and times for classes as well.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Gordon gray was fantastic IMHO www.gofast1.com