Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-04-2013, 4:30 PM

Yep 916-227-3749 and 916 227 7527,no answer. Is there any way to talk to the person who does know what is going on?
Old 02-04-2013, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED (Y) View Post
Yep 916-227-3749 and 916 227 7527,no answer. Is there any way to talk to the person who does know what is going on?
Leave a message and hope they call you. Calling them has been useless.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 02-04-2013, 5:11 PM

Took me 34 calls to get through today around noon, This time the lady actually looked me up by my drivers license number. All she could tell me was I am still delayed, no further information. She told me they are still not taking calls upstairs. I asked if I could come down in person to talk with someone, she said they dont have a counter to help people, has to be done over the phone
Old 02-04-2013, 5:42 PM
Banned

Picked up a handgun I DROS'd ten days ago today with no problem. This is the second handgun ive picked up in two weeks. (One PPT, one brand new)

There was an older lady who was also picking up and I over heard the salesmen saying she had been delayed. She was shocked to say the least.
Old 02-04-2013, 7:25 PM

This is why its so important for this state to go Shall Issue so we can do what AZ does and every person carrying a CCW can just show their CCW at time of purchase and theirs no waiting etc, just show & go. FFL just writes your CCW # and info down on the 4473 and your on your merry way.. Shall issue needs to be the #1 priority right now then #2 working with DOJ to get CCW holders to be able to bypass the NICS check system once they have their issued CCW card. That alone would free up a few bottlenecks on both ends of the spectrum.

If we don't do that its only going to get worse as more and more gun owners get into this scene and bog down the system even more..
Old 02-05-2013, 7:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919_4_ME View Post
This is why its so important for this state to go Shall Issue so we can do what AZ does and every person carrying a CCW can just show their CCW at time of purchase and theirs no waiting etc, just show & go. FFL just writes your CCW # and info down on the 4473 and your on your merry way.. Shall issue needs to be the #1 priority right now then #2 working with DOJ to get CCW holders to be able to bypass the NICS check system once they have their issued CCW card. That alone would free up a few bottlenecks on both ends of the spectrum.

If we don't do that its only going to get worse as more and more gun owners get into this scene and bog down the system even more..
CA doesn't use NICS and the system is setup purposely in this state to make it as hard as possible to purchase a firearm.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 02-05-2013, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayHard View Post
To ALL here in delay . . .

. . . I finally am on the path for a DOJ approval, since October 22, 2012 (105 days). I called the Records and Review Dept, then pressed "0" to get to a live person. I told them my story and I was transferred to a records analyst. After this I was transferred again to a supervisor, who transferred me to the person who delayed my file (I let the phone ring for several minutes until they finally picked up). I explained my case and change of disposition on a 1997 charge. She told me that she has seen the certified copy of the court order, but my file was put away and it needs to be pulled again. And since it had been over 30 days, they needed to do another background check. If nothing new shows within the passed 75 days, I will be approved (besides the 1997 thing, my record is squeaky clean). If I don't hear from her by tomorrow afternoon, call the dealer and go pick up my guns (yes, plural).

This took work and patience and this last conversation led me to believe two important things:

1. If you are in delay, your file is not be looked at and is being filed away until the frenzy dies down. I called them, faxed them and used a form to get my certified court order to them. Even having this information in hand, they are still too busy to get to cases like mine.

If you are in a situation where a court is involved; Have the court fax them, get a certified copy, mail them, and do a Live Scan. Even when your records are updated, this is not enough to get a release.

2. Be a squeaky wheel . . . Call, call, call. Write them, fax them . . . do what ever you can to get YOUR file in front of the person handling your DROS.

By tomorrow afternoon, I will be either approved or denied. Knowing there is NOTHING in my current status to deny my approval and she has the court ordered change in status, in hand, I feel like I made the best headway I've had since October 22, 2012.

PM me if you want more detail in what I did to finally get through to someone who makes the approval/denial decisions. If you are denied, you will at least know what you need to fix to be a non-prohibited person in the state of California.
Find out anything or was DOJ just giving you the run around?

Old 02-05-2013, 8:02 PM

Picked up my handgun and rifle today. To those that PM'd me, I have replied . . . Good luck.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM

mine is delayed also, even though i have purchased in the past without issues. Report all delays to CGF and i suggest you report it to the NRA. here's the link: https://www.nraila.org/secure/contact-us.aspx
Old 02-06-2013, 1:45 PM
Veteran Member

Does the letters state the firearm might be stolen or other wise?

Or simple it is delayed.
Old 02-06-2013, 1:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehn20 View Post
Does the letters state the firearm might be stolen or other wise?

Or simple it is delayed.
The letters all say the same thing, and that is one of the possible reasons listed.

Old 02-06-2013, 2:20 PM

This is what they look like.

Old 02-06-2013, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Picked up today / had no delay
Old 02-06-2013, 6:24 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

FWIW I had a CPC 404.6a misdemeanor arrest 10 years ago in San Francisco which was dropped before my first court date.

I have not received any delays, my latest rifle was picked up last weekend. I pick up another next Wed.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
FWIW I had a CPC 404.6a misdemeanor arrest 10 years ago in San Francisco which was dropped before my first court date.

I have not received any delays, my latest rifle was picked up last weekend. I pick up another next Wed.
So, did you incite a riot?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
So, did you incite a riot?
I was protesting with a group of a few hundred people, some of whom decided it would be fun to start vandalizing crap, kicking in car doors.

Police in riot gear swarmed in, contained us to one block, forced us back with clubs, and then they drove us all down to the wharf in buses.

Everyone got charged with that, a court date set for 6 months or so out, had to post a few hundred dollars bail, and then a month later or so we all got a check back from San Francisco for the bail.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was protesting with a group of a few hundred people, some of whom decided it would be fun to start vandalizing crap, kicking in car doors.

Police in riot gear swarmed in, contained us to one block, forced us back with clubs, and then they drove us all down to the wharf in buses.

Everyone got charged with that, a court date set for 6 months or so out, had to post a few hundred dollars bail, and then a month later or so we all got a check back from San Francisco for the bail.
So they will revoke your LTC for an arrest, where even if there had been a conviction, you wouldn't be disqualified... Interesting....
Old 02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
So they will revoke your LTC for an arrest, where even if there had been a conviction, you wouldn't be disqualified... Interesting....
That's exactly what they are doing. No deposition, non-disqualifier and they still delay. I have yet to find out why I'm delayed.

EDIT: Noticed you said LTC, we're talking about the DROS.

Last edited by JDay; 02-07-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
No, I have NOT been denied.

I'm just providing this information in case it's useful to figure out the scope of the DROS issue.
Old 02-07-2013, 1:51 PM

I'm 30 days in delay now,still no luck with finding any details why i'm delayed and when i can get my gun.
Old 02-07-2013, 1:52 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm 30 days in delay now,still no luck with finding any details why i'm delayed and when i can get my gun.
Have you ever been arrested for any reason?
Old 02-07-2013, 2:10 PM

I'm 30 days delayed as well, never been arrested and last purchase was in nov 2012 with no problems. I just talked to DOJ and they still couldnt give me any information but said that they where working on it 7 days a week for whatever thats worth...
Old 02-07-2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been arrested for any reason?
Nope,never been arrested,no parking or traffic tickets,clear and clean record.That's why i can't understand why.
Old 02-07-2013, 2:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Nope,never been arrested,no parking or traffic tickets,clear and clean record.That's why i can't understand why.
It would be interesting to know if it's the same person at DOJ delaying people for no apparent reason.

Old 02-07-2013, 2:57 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So no citations of any sort, ever? Even for something minor?

Are you a US citizen, or green card?
Old 02-07-2013, 3:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For reference here is the full list of prohibiting convictions and other things that can cause a prohibition. Some of these are only 10 years and others only last while you are under indictment or have a restraining order.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...hibcatmisd.pdf

Old 02-07-2013, 4:26 PM

Quote:
So no citations of any sort, ever? Even for something minor?

Are you a US citizen, or green card?
Hmmm,had a red light ticket in SF,4 years ago.Ticket paid,traffic school completed.Never had problems with cops or any court orders.
And i got a Green Card (which allows me to buy a gun),i got even a copy of my GC attached to application.

Quote:
It would be interesting to know if it's the same person at DOJ delaying people for no apparent reason.
May be,look very random.Some people are first time buyers like me,some are not, but they are delayed.
Old 02-07-2013, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I wonder if it has anything to do with other people with the same name.

I had no problems (I picked up a rifle yesterday) but my last name is rare. No one else in the country has my same first + last.
Old 02-07-2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post

I had no problems (I picked up a rifle yesterday) but my last name is rare. No one else in the country has my same first + last.
I have a very rare name and got delayed for a month.
Old 02-07-2013, 6:35 PM

I had one in delay for a month.I called every day and talk to different people. I would call 10 to 15 times and would get the recording and sometimes someone would pick up. They saw that one had cleared and another one was on delay. I had one guy actual email the person the was doing the one on delay to tell them that i had one cleared .Some told me that they could not acces anything and just to wait. When I purchased another firearm and it went through within the 10 days. So there is hope call just keep calling and it will go through.
Old 02-07-2013, 8:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post
There's no reason for that. DOJ has your full name, CADL number, SS#, Address, DOB, description, and picture.

Old 02-07-2013, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsurfer View Post
I had one in delay for a month.I called every day and talk to different people. I would call 10 to 15 times and would get the recording and sometimes someone would pick up. They saw that one had cleared and another one was on delay. I had one guy actual email the person the was doing the one on delay to tell them that i had one cleared .Some told me that they could not acces anything and just to wait. When I purchased another firearm and it went through within the 10 days. So there is hope call just keep calling and it will go through.
When you do get a person to answer they just tell you that there is nothing they can tell you and to call back in a week or two. Things have changed since you got delayed.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hmmm,had a red light ticket in SF,4 years ago.Ticket paid,traffic school completed.Never had problems with cops or any court orders.
And i got a Green Card (which allows me to buy a gun),i got even a copy of my GC attached to application.

May be,look very random.Some people are first time buyers like me,some are not, but they are delayed.
Hmm. I wonder if they are trying to match up green card records or something, or maybe the system needs to find some sort of record of you to be able to clear you. I'm assuming it's a computer doing this, and the whole DROS system is scary broken, so the reason would likely be something stupid. I can't image it is completely random.

Is this your first purchase?

I have a coworker who is in the 10 day wait, he has a green card, but he has bought firearms before, I think he has another 5 days or so, i'll find out what happens with him.
Old 02-08-2013, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Hmm. I wonder if they are trying to match up green card records or something, or maybe the system needs to find some sort of record of you to be able to clear you. I'm assuming it's a computer doing this, and the whole DROS system is scary broken, so the reason would likely be something stupid. I can't image it is completely random.

Is this your first purchase?

I have a coworker who is in the 10 day wait, he has a green card, but he has bought firearms before, I think he has another 5 days or so, i'll find out what happens with him.
Can't imagine what might be wrong on that side.I got my GC about 3 years ago,i have car loan,bank accounts,same job for 2 years.Who knows what is going on with this system. And YES this is my first purchase.
Old 02-08-2013, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
There's no reason for that. DOJ has your full name, CADL number, SS#, Address, DOB, description, and picture.
I know but there seems to be no reason for some of the people delayed... so there must be some reason; some reason we don't know yet... and when we do there is a chance it will be a bad / stupid reason that should not have been a reason.

This is government we are talking about.

Last edited by sl0re10; 02-08-2013 at 8:31 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM

39 days and counting...my new holster and laser aren't happy, I'm still trying to be realistic. I've lived in 7 states in my lifetime, had some run ins 40 yrs ago but no convictions or charges were dismissed (soldiers weren't well liked during Viet Nam, lol) and I have a rare name. What frustrates me the most is with this system that I was cleared with on a previous purchase in 2012 but it all has to be done all over again from scratch. Not that I'm surprised just ranting a little. Just a ton of wasted time and money. OK I'm done for this week, lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 2:37 PM

Well I just got delayed today man I hope I don't have to wait months if it does take months will they have to re do the dros? And can I just get a refund and make the purchase somewhere else if it is a hit and miss thing with the doj
Old 02-08-2013, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikearfifteen83 View Post
Well I just got delayed today man I hope I don't have to wait months if it does take months will they have to re do the dros?
The 30 days to pickup starts the day it's released.

Quote:
And can I just get a refund and make the purchase somewhere else if it is a hit and miss thing with the doj
Once you're flagged you can't buy anything until it's cleared up.

Old 02-09-2013, 8:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well I went down to the shop to get copies of my paperwork and talked to one of the guys there about these delays. He said none of them have been getting released and he has a bunch of pissed off customers who cannot get anything out of DOJ. So it looks like DOJ is not even looking at the delayed DROS'.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well I went down to the shop to get copies of my paperwork and talked to one of the guys there about these delays. He said none of them have been getting released and he has a bunch of pissed off customers who cannot get anything out of DOJ. So it looks like DOJ is not even looking at the delayed DROS'.

Please print out the text and links in my OP and get them to that gunshop!

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.