Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

View Poll Results: Which should we do to accomodate preparedness discussions?
Combine all topics in to one sub-forum 83 25.78%
Create a separate form for preparedness/long term survival discussion. 239 74.22%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2012, 9:03 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Well (again no pun intended) the reason for drilling a well would be: off grid/self sufficiency & back up system from the on grid water service.

Have fun on your hw. Hit me up in nightowls if your on later.
Old 10-18-2012, 9:15 PM

My vote is just combine everything in one forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

FWIW: I think all of the topics David brought up should be viable conversations in a prepping thread. I would like to learn more about homesteading and have found more and more interest in it from unlikely people I meet all the time. I think it's an idea growing in popularity/interest.

The one thing I don't want are political/anti-govt end-of-the-world threads. Take those to off-topic. Skills, mindsets, tools, self-sufficiency foods, power systems, all good stuff. Pure speculation about the future, or TFH ideas, take it to OT. That's what I would like to see.

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 10-19-2012, 6:07 AM

lol.

If this doesn't get resolved, you can always go to my survival forum. we even have real homesteaders doing it for real, full time

http://www.dirttimeforum.com/index.php

sorry, couldn't resist
Old 10-19-2012, 7:46 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Halcon View Post
lol.

If this doesn't get resolved, you can always go to my survival forum. we even have real homesteaders doing it for real, full time

http://www.dirttimeforum.com/index.php

sorry, couldn't resist
Can you imagine your entire forum just clumped into one section?

I like your forum though.
Old 10-19-2012, 7:54 AM

Separate forums, for built-in scalability.

When them sum bit*#@$ start droppin from the sky like in Red Dawn.... I'll be layun' right here. Poppin motherf*&%#@$. Pew.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
Can you imagine your entire forum just clumped into one section?

I like your forum though.
Actually, David, I originally wanted it that way, because it would have been easier to manage, but the partners won out. Quite honestly, there are sections I rarely frequent, because, at the moment, they don't interest me. If, however, they were all together, I would be forced to read the topic titles and may find something interesting.

Good thing the moderators like those other places, so they keep them in check.

I guess I'm just too lazy to click through all the sub forums, just like this place. I rarely, if ever, visit any other section on Calguns. This is the area that interest me the most. Surely, I am missing out on some real good threads, but it is what it is
Old 10-19-2012, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I vote separate them. Call one "Camping, Bushcraft, Outdoor lifestyle" and one "Disaster Preparedness, SHTF, & Tinfoil Hattery." Everyone will know what they're getting and we won't have grumpy Elmer Fudd types complaining about the SHTF/zombie/prepping threads.
Old 10-19-2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
I vote separate them. Call one "Camping, Bushcraft, Outdoor lifestyle" and one "Disaster Preparedness, SHTF, & Tinfoil Hattery." Everyone will know what they're getting and we won't have grumpy Elmer Fudd types complaining about the SHTF/zombie/prepping threads.
Can we at least keep the "Tinfoil Hattery" in OT
Old 10-19-2012, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Can we at least keep the "Tinfoil Hattery" in OT
This is CalGuns. There's plenty to go around.
Old 10-19-2012, 8:30 PM

for those of you saying there isnt enough traffic, remember it will also pull some posts from the Off topic section. I like the idea, prefer to not have to go to other forums for my prepping fix
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 PM

Just saw this post. I feel like some of the SHTF stuff fit an some doesn't. Lets get a second sub forum. Keep it civil. I do agree with a poster above. Fishing hunting could fit I outdoors.
Old 10-20-2012, 2:21 AM

Currently at 100 total votes and it looks like seperate is going to take it.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 10-20-2012, 5:59 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
I think this is a good idea. I am often amazed at the silliness of a lot of the threads in OT that don't seem to bother anyone. But then someone mentions "FEMA Camp" or "SHTF" and they get rat packed.

I can certainly be grumpy, but I also have a sense of humor. Some conspiracy threads, regardless of their improbability or invalidity often have elements of truth in them. I wish more people could just take everything with a grain of salt instead of attacking the poster. Creating a section for SHTF topics would help ensure that only those interested in the discussion would participate.
Old 10-20-2012, 8:16 AM

Voted for the subjects in question to be separated.

Now, my only question is weather or not the separate forum is going to be nitpicked to death for being "off topic".

Seriously, if you dont like the subject matter, DONT CLICK ON IT, no matter what friggin forum it is. Please dont let the new forum turn into another circus.
Old 10-20-2012, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

The "If you don't like it, don't click on it crowd" apparently can't handle dissent. I like some of it, and not some of it. But I can't post if I don't agree? Funny.
Old 10-20-2012, 1:38 PM

Scooter,

I did not say that I couldnt handle dissent, posting if you disagree with something is also fine. Such is the intent of the 1st amendment (and yes I am aware that this is a privately owned forum and that the 1st amendment does not apply, but I am just throwing it out there anyway, because the spirit of forums is much the same).

I am merely stating that if someone or someones posts irritate you THAT MUCH, then dont read it (or at the very least dont subject the rest of us that want to read posts (both sides/views of them) to the drama...

However that being said, this kindergarten hall monitor stuff is out of control. An example: I cant stand Diane Frankenstein, I simply refuse to read or listen to anything she says. If I DO happen to read something in an online news article that I strongly disagree with, sure, I will post a comment with my disagreement/dissent. I will NOT however go running to the newspaper/news agency that wrote it and demand they stop posting her articles.

The point of my previous post was to say that if you (not you specifically, anyone reading this) cant comment without turning it into such a circus and elevating it to such a level that you have to get mods/admins involved, the please dont do it. If I have struck a nerve with some of you, I apologize. This is EXACTLY what I was saying about most people wanting to READ the stuff that is posted but not comment, for fear of getting sucked into some B.S...
Old 10-22-2012, 3:09 PM

A couple of things jump out at me after reading this and a couple other threads on the topic.

*If people are really reporting posts for being put in the wrong sub-forum, then those people REALLY need to get a life.

*As others already pointed out, the sub-forum has the word survival in the title, and the way it is being interpreted by the majority of posters here is to include SHTF, bugging out, prepping etc. Most dictionaries would agree with this interpretation.

*PC has been a very positive contributor to this forum, and punishing him or others for posting what he/we thought to be within the forum's parameters, is ridiculous.

*The OT section is mostly full of nonsense that has no practical value other than entertainment. To have to sift through that stuff to read posts about preparedness/SHTF topics would be horrible.

*Whether or not a new sub-forum is created or not, the topics that are generally posted here should be allowed to continue somewhere on Calguns besides OT. There is too much interest in the subject to ignore it.

*If you are not prepping for disasters, earthquakes, financial crisis, EMP, whatever, then I fear you and your family will one day regret that decision. We spend big money on insurances of all kinds to protect ourselves and our belongings, so how does it not make sense to spend a little time and money to protect yourself and those you care about from a potential disaster? Do you want to be self-sufficient when a crisis hits, or do you want to be one of the lemmings in the Superdome having to rely on FEMA for everything?
Old 10-22-2012, 3:46 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I vote for a separate dedicated prepper/survival forum. Camping/hiking can have an overlap of people and interests but they are really two separate topics and worthy of their own separate forums.

It would also keep a lot of the prepper/SHTF threads from coming up in the OT and the firearm forums from people who don't see a better place to put them.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516520
Old 10-24-2012, 2:29 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
*As others already pointed out, the sub-forum has the word survival in the title, and the way it is being interpreted by the majority of posters here is to include SHTF, bugging out, prepping etc. Most dictionaries would agree with this interpretation.
Well I mostly agree. While I have not been a long time member, I have done a lot of reading on this forum.

The term "survival" when originally was thought of, meant more bushcraft or what Survivorman or Bear Grylls does. They demonstrate survival skills(with Bear more like what not to do) but do not talk about prepping.

Back in 2005 or so the term prepping was not so main stream as it is now. This is why Kes and the crew are reviewing this. Entire forums, as Alan has shown, are dedicated to this topic and is growing in popularity each day. Thus the need to have its own forum.
Old 10-25-2012, 5:04 PM
A-list Member
CGN Contributor

Surviving in the wilderness and preparing for an apocalypse aren't the same.
Old 10-26-2012, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elx144 View Post
Surviving in the wilderness and preparing for an apocalypse aren't the same.
Agreed.

Worse, some of the "reasons" given for preparing for such an apocalypse are baseless speculation, based upon little to no facts, completely ignoring events which are far more likely to occur. It quickly degrades into a Middle-Ages discussion about religion, where anyone can state anything as "fact" simply because it's not easily disproven. Such logic leads to the very slippery slope of delusion and paranoia.

Learning what plants to eat, fine. How to make fire, fine. How to collect water, great. EMPs, total worldwide economic collapse, mind-control, zombies, 30,000 drones in the sky that we cannot see, and bragging about how many people you'll kill, get it out of here.

Last edited by kb58; 10-26-2012 at 2:51 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 10:06 AM

So, whats the scoop on the poll? From the looks of it the "Separate Forum" votes are leading. Any timeframe on implementing the results of the voting?
Old 10-31-2012, 8:26 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

So on the is new preparedness forum, I unselfishly volunteer my services to moderate this new forum.
Old 10-31-2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
I vote for a separate dedicated prepper/survival forum. Camping/hiking can have an overlap of people and interests but they are really two separate topics and worthy of their own separate forums.

It would also keep a lot of the prepper/SHTF threads from coming up in the OT and the firearm forums from people who don't see a better place to put them.
Agreed
Old 11-07-2012, 5:03 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Any updates on this subject from the administration?
Old 11-10-2012, 2:59 AM

Any expectation of a timeframe to get the new one started?
Old 11-14-2012, 4:01 PM

Any updates on this?

I'm beginning to think that this whole poll thing was a ploy to keep the arguing parties on thier best behavior (which appears to have worked brilliantly) but the question remains, whats the result/decision?

Mods, Admins any comments?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Ah, shoot. I didn't see this thread but I also don't visit this particular sub-forum often. Already voted but just wanted to comment on the reason why:

I really enjoy hiking, snowboarding, rock climbing and want to get into mountain biking. I occasionally come into this forum hoping for something related to those and to my disappointment, I find "bug-out vehicles" and other prep-related threads instead. That stuff is important but I personally don't group storing food & water being lumped in with the 'camping/hiking' name of the forum. Plus it looks like all but 2 or 3 threads currently in the forum are survival related. I'd love to visit both sub-forums if they become separated.

Edit: Actually, I think it'd just be better to rename this sub-forum as the "Survival/Prep" forum since that's what it unofficially is and recreational outdoor threads would be posted in the off-topic forum anyways.
R.I.P. Thomas C.

Last edited by Javi; 12-05-2012 at 6:32 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDRR View Post
In my opinion there isn't enough activity to warrant opening another section. Having them all in one would be fine. I'd much rather see the most heavily used section (Private Firearm sales) split into a north and southern California section.

Thanks for all of your great work.
That's a great idea!!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptySkuLL View Post
Any updates on this?

I'm beginning to think that this whole poll thing was a ploy to keep the arguing parties on thier best behavior (which appears to have worked brilliantly) but the question remains, whats the result/decision?

Mods, Admins any comments?
Just saw someone report this thread. I'll ping the admins to see if we can get some traction here.

Turby
Old 12-11-2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Just saw someone report this thread. I'll ping the admins to see if we can get some traction here.

Turby
Thanks Turby - new forum is open for business. I'm sure rules and forum bounderies are in the works.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice. Now we just have to get all of the prep and SHTF threads moved over there.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 PM

even though I voted the other way I am still very happy! Thank you for listening to us. I will now have to be less lazy and click into 2 forms instead of one.

truely thankyou for listening and posting the poll.
Old 12-12-2012, 2:38 PM
Banned

Give the preppers their own space and lock out/delete any prepper discusion in other forums. Not everyone cares about this craze/fad. Non preppers don't enter the prepper survival forum and post topics on Cowboy action shooting or Welding or Hot Rods..just sayin.
Old 12-14-2012, 4:05 PM

i came here 2 find a campn hiking whatever buddy but its just debates eh
Old 12-14-2012, 5:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

nice to see the new sub forum for prepping and survival. thank you for the new forum

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-16-2013, 7:06 AM

There seems to be a lot of overlap between the two, especially w/ topics like wilderness/outdoor survival techniques (shelter, fire, primitive hunting/traping/bow-making/slingshot, foraging/plant identification & uses, & orienteering/map-reading/compass use). We're not all doomsday preppers! ha
Old 02-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Hey this is Siliun everyone. I am new to the thread and calguns. I actually have a desire for camping, hiking and sports, as well as survival exercise. I have been a sport in many activities and my favourite has been surfing. I've trained hard and through for surfing, so if you could tell me what are the requirement for camping and outdoor activities.