Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2012, 4:28 PM
Choptop Choptop is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 382
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default LEO only handgun purchase - Code Section?

anyone have the Code section that defines who may and who may not purchase an "LEO Only" handgun in CA?

in short... is there an verbiage for retired officers? reserves?

Last edited by Choptop; 09-20-2012 at 4:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2012, 5:20 PM
RickD427's Avatar
RickD427 RickD427 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: King County
Posts: 3,854
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choptop View Post
anyone have the Code section that defines who may and who may not purchase an "LEO Only" handgun in CA?

in short... is there an verbiage for retired officers? reserves?
Penal Code section 31910 defines "Unsafe Handguns". There is no legal definition of "LEO Only". As a practical matter, an "Unsafe Handgun" may be sold to LEO's and for that reason an "Unsafe Handgun" is kinda, sorta, synonymous with "LEO Only".

Penal Code Section 32000(a) generally prohibits the sale of "Unsafe Handguns".

Penal Code section 32000(b)(4) provides a listing of agencies and individuals permitted to purchase "Unsafe Handguns". Reserves are included (so long as they are sworn). There is no requirement for full time employment. Retired officers are not. Here is the text of 32000(b)(4):
"The sale or purchase of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person, if the pistol, revolver,
or other firearm is sold to, or purchased by, the Department of
Justice, any police department, any sheriff's official, any marshal's
office, the Youth and Adult Correctional Agency, the California
Highway Patrol, any district attorney's office, or the military or
naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the
discharge of their official duties. Nor shall anything in this
section prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of these
agencies of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2012, 8:57 AM
Choptop Choptop is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 382
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well now... that just made my day.
thanks!!!

*runs off to the local gun shop*

Last edited by Choptop; 09-21-2012 at 9:00 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2012, 2:04 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DPRK- Democratic People's Republic of Koreafornia
Posts: 1,678
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Penal Code section 31910 defines "Unsafe Handguns". There is no legal definition of "LEO Only". As a practical matter, an "Unsafe Handgun" may be sold to LEO's and for that reason an "Unsafe Handgun" is kinda, sorta, synonymous with "LEO Only".

Penal Code Section 32000(a) generally prohibits the sale of "Unsafe Handguns".

Penal Code section 32000(b)(4) provides a listing of agencies and individuals permitted to purchase "Unsafe Handguns". Reserves are included (so long as they are sworn). There is no requirement for full time employment. Retired officers are not. Here is the text of 32000(b)(4):
"The sale or purchase of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person, if the pistol, revolver,
or other firearm is sold to, or purchased by, the Department of
Justice, any police department, any sheriff's official, any marshal's
office, the Youth and Adult Correctional Agency, the California
Highway Patrol, any district attorney's office, or the military or
naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the
discharge of their official duties. Nor shall anything in this
section prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of these
agencies of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being
concealed upon the person."
I've noticed too that violent crime is pretty much void within this state now, thanks to the passage of this "wonderful law."
__________________


My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2012, 7:40 PM
Anchors's Avatar
Anchors Anchors is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dystopia
Posts: 5,921
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

Note that possession of said guns is not illegal and there are many legal ways to acquire them even if you're not sworn.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2013, 6:29 PM
ronlglock's Avatar
ronlglock ronlglock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 825
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Nor shall anything in this section prohibit the sale to, or purchase by, sworn members of these agencies of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

I am a sworn sheriff's office search and rescue volunteer. This last paragraph doesn't state "peace officer," "for use in the discharge of their official duties," or "paid employee." It seems to imply that I am exempt from the roster - or does it?
__________________

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA member, FBI San Francisco CA AA board member. Stop me before I join something else!

Last edited by ronlglock; 08-29-2013 at 6:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2013, 6:56 PM
Ron-Solo's Avatar
Ron-Solo Ron-Solo is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,842
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

If you are classified as a "Reserve Deputy" you are good to go.
__________________
LASD Retired
1978-2011




If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2013, 3:33 PM
ronlglock's Avatar
ronlglock ronlglock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 825
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
If you are classified as a "Reserve Deputy" you are good to go.
Sworn and badged search and rescue member. Not reserve. That's why I'm asking about the definition of "member."
__________________

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA member, FBI San Francisco CA AA board member. Stop me before I join something else!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2013, 5:03 PM
Che762x39 Che762x39 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,716
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Sworn and badged search and rescue member. Not reserve. That's why I'm asking about the definition of "member."
You are a volunteer. Being 'sworn and badged' means when some jerk punches you while you are doing your SAR duty we can booked that dude on a higher charge. Also that $1 you get annually means you qualified for workers comp if injured while working with us.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-31-2013, 1:53 PM
Ron-Solo's Avatar
Ron-Solo Ron-Solo is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,842
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
Sworn and badged search and rescue member. Not reserve. That's why I'm asking about the definition of "member."
Sounds like you are a reserve assigned to a specialty team. Still a reserve. If your ID says 830.6 PC on it, you are a reserve.

LASD has reserves assigned to the various Mountain Rescue Teams that are reserves, but they do not perform general law enforcement duties. They also have a Reserve Medical Company that provides doctors who are reserves to help staff the Air Rescue Helicopters.
__________________
LASD Retired
1978-2011




If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-31-2013, 7:46 PM
ronlglock's Avatar
ronlglock ronlglock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 825
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Sounds like you are a reserve assigned to a specialty team. Still a reserve. If your ID says 830.6 PC on it, you are a reserve.

LASD has reserves assigned to the various Mountain Rescue Teams that are reserves, but they do not perform general law enforcement duties. They also have a Reserve Medical Company that provides doctors who are reserves to help staff the Air Rescue Helicopters.
Cool. Thank you!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________

NRA Patron, CRPA Life, SAF Life, GSSF Life, NRA RSO and pistol instructor, ILEETA member, FBI San Francisco CA AA board member. Stop me before I join something else!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:03 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.