Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-13-2012, 5:44 AM
Calguns Addict

We have hens for eggs, ducks for eggs and meat, and rabbits for meat. We were looking for some geese, but that didn't pan out. I may get some chicks for meat, but the cost/being worth it line is pretty low.
Old 07-13-2012, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
We have...rabbits for meat....
Can you open up a new thread for meat rabbits? Don't want to thread jack here The Wife and I were looking into that and I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences on it as I imagine others in the forum would as well.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
We have hens for eggs, ducks for eggs and meat, and rabbits for meat. We were looking for some geese, but that didn't pan out. I may get some chicks for meat, but the cost/being worth it line is pretty low.
Ducks for eggs and meat. Interesting.

Deterrence, Not Disarmament, Ended the Cold War.
Old 07-13-2012, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Duck eggs are delicious, and have high iron. The khaki Campbells we have lay as many eggs as our New Hampshire Red chickens. We have some jumbo Pekin ducks for meat. They're matured in 2-3 months.
Old 07-13-2012, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Add turkeys to your list. They grow FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSTT and make a lot of meat.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 07-13-2012, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElToro View Post
nice set up toyotaguy. how big is your lot ?
Not sure if your talking about the Chicken coop or our property, the coop is about 25x25 or so and our property is 2 acres surrounded by national forest
Old 07-13-2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Duck eggs are delicious, and have high iron. The khaki Campbells we have lay as many eggs as our New Hampshire Red chickens. We have some jumbo Pekin ducks for meat. They're matured in 2-3 months.
Have you slaughtered any Khakis for meat? Ive read that they are a good multipurpose bird, we are wanting to expand to ducks.
Old 07-14-2012, 5:31 AM
Calguns Addict

The Khakis are about half the size of the Pekins, but still good meat. We did slaughter some last year, and were trying to get some more this year, but couldn't find any locally, so we just got more Pekins.
Here's a shot to show size. I couldn't find one of them grown, but the difference is about the same. The Pekins are about a week older.

For housing, I went cheap and simple. They roam the property by day, and by evening, they usually start wandering back in.

Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 07-14-2012, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz415 View Post
Another stupid question: if you are only allowed hens, how do the hens lay eggs? Haha do you have to rent a rooster for a few days to fertilize your hens?

Nice setup guys
HA HA HA I didn`t know this either but rent a rooster made me laugh
Old 07-14-2012, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

One thing about raising your own meat or hunting it.. you get to enjoy the cute furry or feathery animals.. then you get to chop their heads off and serve them for dinner. Ahh the circle of life. Every child should be exposed to that.

You remember your favorite pet chicken.. well he is dinner tonight. You need to prepare Thumper after dinner so we can eat him tomorrow. I got to chop the heads off of my pet chickens when I was a kid. Hilarious to watch them run about headless.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.

Last edited by meaty-btz; 07-14-2012 at 8:44 AM..
Old 07-14-2012, 8:55 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
One thing about raising your own meat or hunting it.. you get to enjoy the cute furry or feathery animals.. then you get to chop their heads off and serve them for dinner. Ahh the circle of life. Every child should be exposed to that.

You remember your favorite pet chicken.. well he is dinner tonight. You need to prepare Thumper after dinner so we can eat him tomorrow. I got to chop the heads off of my pet chickens when I was a kid. Hilarious to watch them run about headless.
That is a crackup. I just break their necks now, it is less messy.

I am not Bear Grylls, but I have eaten every meat I have seen in every continent other than Antarctica. Duck is the best.
Old 07-14-2012, 9:45 AM

If you only have hens you will never get a baby, only good infertile eggs ( the kind you want to eat). Some breeds get more broody than others and every few weeks to months one of my birds will think she's sitting on hatch able eggs and will sit in the coop all day long and get very angry if you try to pick her up. When one gets broody we close the pen gate and lock them out of the coop just for the day. Also hosing them down and cooling them off can help with broodyness.

A poster was asking about rounding them up at night. The first night we had ours ( we bought them as semi mature pullets. Not chicks) my wife was like. Hey don't we need to pu them to bed ? I said they know where the coop is and will put themselves to bed at dusk. Sure as stuff they all filed into their coop like soldiers and went to bed. My wife was amazed that they knew what to do
Old 07-14-2012, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
That is a crackup. I just break their necks now, it is less messy.

I am not Bear Grylls, but I have eaten every meat I have seen in every continent other than Antarctica. Duck is the best.
Duck is great but... greasy.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Can you open up a new thread for meat rabbits? Don't want to thread jack here The Wife and I were looking into that and I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences on it as I imagine others in the forum would as well.
I second this.
Old 07-14-2012, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz415 View Post
Another stupid question: if you are only allowed hens, how do the hens lay eggs? Haha do you have to rent a rooster for a few days to fertilize your hens?

Nice setup guys
Same way our womenz have a period every month.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Love me some tube steaks.

Old 07-14-2012, 4:26 PM

Awesome thread!
Like Us On Facebook: For Specials and Giveaways!

Local Hikes and Outings:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=388930
Check out the Riverside/Inland Empire Roll-Call Thread!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=137427
Old 07-15-2012, 1:24 PM

Today I changed the bedding in the Brooder Box and hand checked each chick, they all are happy and healthy.
Photos Taken, 7/15/12

Last edited by toyotaguy; 07-15-2012 at 1:27 PM..
Old 07-15-2012, 1:55 PM

So how old are they before they are big enought to eat?
Old 07-15-2012, 2:18 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yes and YES!
Old 07-15-2012, 2:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That's why I don't eat duck, or Lamb.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 07-15-2012, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderhawk View Post
So how old are they before they are big enought to eat?
With heritage breads like these anywhere from 4 months to 6 months would be a normal time to slaughter for tender chicken. With something like a Cornish X 8 weeks is normal. However with heritage breads you can go a little longer if you want and not risk the birds dropping dead of heart attacks like you would with Cornish X.
Old 07-15-2012, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Our hens are about 1.5 months old now. You can feed chickens just about anything of your table scraps, just make sure its not old and moldy. You can even buy dead meal worms as treats.

Old 07-23-2012, 4:06 PM

Today was proccessing day for the 5 Cornish X we have been raising. We ended up with the following weights after butchering.
1 5lb
1 7lb
1 8lb
1 8.5lb
1 9lb

Chicken processing station

The 5 Cornish X

The heritage breed chicks in their new home.

Old 07-23-2012, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Our hens are about 1.5 months old now. You can feed chickens just about anything of your table scraps, just make sure its not old and moldy. You can even buy dead meal worms as treats.
Our chickens get 90% of our table scraps, including chicken.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 07-23-2012, 9:43 PM

I have a rooster and six hens, we get more eggs than we know what to do with. They do roost every night but a couple were escaping during the day by flying over a four foot fence...clipped their wings and now they stay put. Egg salad sandwiches anyone?
Old 07-24-2012, 6:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We have 40 chickens, they're a mix of amercuana, rhode island reds, black jersey giants, astralorp and fayoumi.

Our typical game plan is to butch all but 12-14 each Fall. The remaining birds are kept for eggs.

In the Spring we raise another 26-28. The hens held over from the previous year will be slaughtered the following Fall. This ensures we get good egg production and don't end up with really old chickens from meat.

We also have five turkey's which will be butchered in mid-November. Once they're cleared out, a couple of sheep/lambs will move into they're enclosure till Spring when they'll be butchered.
Old 07-29-2012, 3:07 PM

Growing very fast!
7/29/12

Last edited by toyotaguy; 07-29-2012 at 3:09 PM..
Old 07-29-2012, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Ours free-range until sundown, when they all head back to the coop on their own. We also feed them (cooked) eggs when we have an over-supply. Dogs love the eggs, also, and by cooking them, the hens (and dogs) never get a taste for raw eggs.

Hens also get lots of worms (to eat), but that's whole 'nother topic . . .
Old 07-30-2012, 5:14 AM

This a great thread to follow.
Old 07-30-2012, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Ours free-range until sundown, when they all head back to the coop on their own. We also feed them (cooked) eggs when we have an over-supply. Dogs love the eggs, also, and by cooking them, the hens (and dogs) never get a taste for raw eggs.

A nice big compost pile keeps them busy for a hour or so a day and if one finds a potato bug larvae the chase begins for that chicken to keep its find. LOL
Old 07-30-2012, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post

They also make a fun shooting target when the supply exceeds the demand. (That is the eggs not the chickens)

Last edited by sierrashooter; 07-30-2012 at 8:38 AM..
Old 08-05-2012, 5:29 PM

All of the different breeds are now distinguishable from each other and they are almost fully feathered, growing very fast.
8/5/2012

Old 08-05-2012, 5:51 PM

Couple of things I do that I haven't been mentioned. We buy a 50 lb bag of oyster shell that is crushed and feed it free range I put scratch over it and the chickens keep a better quality shell. We use a road cone to butcher cut the top off the cone and nail it to a post. place the live chicken in the cone upside down pulling the head out the top of the cone. find the artery on one side and cut it this allows the chicken to bleed out making the meat a lot better and whiter. The chicken can't flap around and it is a quick way to go. A lot of people use a metal bar and place the head under the bar step on the bar and pull on the feet removing the head but then you have a live central nervous system that can be ugly. If you prefer once you cut the caratid you can place a sharp knife in the mouth and push up severing the brain.

We put out almost all table scraps and we have a small ranch and the amount of bugs eaten by 40 chickens is amazing and they till the dirt around all the shrubs and trees keeping the weeds down. We enjoy the noise and make a lot of dishes and freeze them for the winter. Nothing better than home made chicken soup when you are out feeding in 20 below weather.
Old 08-05-2012, 5:54 PM
CGN Contributor

What breeds would you guys recommend for egg layers? I am not ready to make the jump to raising them for meat yet.
Old 08-05-2012, 6:22 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Interesting, never knew!
Old 08-06-2012, 4:17 AM
Calguns Addict

For eggs, I have New Hampshire Reds. Rhode Island Reds and Leghorns are also popular.
Old 08-06-2012, 4:42 AM

Tagged.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Old 08-06-2012, 5:14 AM

My back yard Chicken Coop. You can have up to 4 chickens in LA city.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344258816951.jpg (35.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-06-2012, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

looks like they are coming along well, mine are almost full size. i give them fruit and salad once in a while besides the start and grow, will pick up the layena in a few weeks to start mixing in with the start and grow feed.
I think its about 3 months or so before we start seeing eggs.

Old 08-06-2012, 1:42 PM

You won't have to guess when she lays her first egg she will tell the world over and over and over. Crack the egg in a bowl and then crack one from the store in the same bowl let us know if there is a difference in color of the yoke. You can also get water glass (sodium silicate)and coat the shell to keep the eggs for a longer period of time. I don't do this but just at the end of fall a lot of neighbors soak the eggs in water glass and keep the eggs into winter because the hens quit laying in the snow.

Don't let any body tell you they don't make good pets when my kid was home he had them like puppies following him every where he went.