Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 06-18-2016, 5:04 PM

Question Shield 9mm/40 shoot?

I know I'm new here and this may be a stretch given that no one exactly knows me but..
I'm curious if anyone around the Fresno area has a M&P Shield in 9mm or 40, hell if I'm lucky maybe even both, and would be willing to meet up at a range so I could put a few rounds down range and get a feel for these two pistols.
I've decided firmly on the Shield as my first purchase but would like to get my hands on both so I know which caliber I'm more comfortabke with.
I know there is the rent option that'll cost a minimum of $60/$70 and I'd rather just pay half that in ammo and not worry about getting gouged.

Any help from local CG'ers would be greatly appreciated to help save me some cash
Old 06-20-2016, 7:37 AM

I'm not around the Fresno area, but I own a both a shield in 9mm, and a full size m&p in 40. I love the shield but my advice is to go with the 9mm, especially if you're in doubt, and considering it's your first pistol.
You can also do a search for similar discussions in the handguns section, as this was covered several times, and the majority consensus was that 9mm was the preferred platform for this pistol.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:05 PM

if you ever want to shoot a g23, id be willing to let you shoot a few rounds through mine. I go to The Range by Costco a few times a month. .40sw isn't that bad for a beginner. Theres a shield in .40sw on armslist right now for $300 in downtown fresno.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:22 PM

The Shield in any caliber as a first pistol might be discouraging. Small pistols are hard(er) to shoot accurately and comfortably for a multitude of reasons.

The plus side is proficiency with small pistols means you can shoot anything.
Old 06-27-2016, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkN_MastR View Post
I'm not around the Fresno area, but I own a both a shield in 9mm, and a full size m&p in 40. I love the shield but my advice is to go with the 9mm, especially if you're in doubt, and considering it's your first pistol.
You can also do a search for similar discussions in the handguns section, as this was covered several times, and the majority consensus was that 9mm was the preferred platform for this pistol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
The Shield in any caliber as a first pistol might be discouraging. Small pistols are hard(er) to shoot accurately and comfortably for a multitude of reasons.

The plus side is proficiency with small pistols means you can shoot anything.
Sorry maybe I was a little misleading with the "first purchase" remark.
I actually have a G23 that I was issued for work and can send .40 down range pretty accurately with it. Didn't even throw any rounds when first qualifying.
So this wouldn't really be my first gun, just my first personal purchase.

I also have a fair amount of experience shooting .45 so I'm not too apprehensive about being able to control a Shield in .40 even though it is muchhh more compact.

Plus if I really don't like it after some range time I figured I could always sell or trade it.