Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-30-2012, 1:44 PM

Send payments and my info on PM.. paypal for 1 frame shipped..

If you are short on the 100 for the confirmed and paid, I can probably do 2 frames if you can stuff them both into a USPS box so I can save a little on shipping.

I am up in NorCal, anyone else in the SFBay Area taking part of this? Or maybe know of anywhere that can help with the finish?

In this case, maybe I need to buy a Jig.. hmm..

- I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...
Old 05-30-2012, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savs2k View Post
What the heck is the difference between the 70 and 80 series? I've asked and no one answered.
Explained:
Quote:
Series 70 vs. Series 80

There have been a lot of questions posted by new members and 1911 owners as to what the difference is between Series 70 and Series 80 Colts. This question is best answered by giving the following history:

Colt is the original manufacturer of 1911 pattern pistols, having made versions for both the military as well as commercial market since regular production began in January 1912. The commercial versions were nearly identical to the military ones, differing only in markings and finish. Following World War Two military production ended, but the commercial guns remained in production with only minor changes such as deletion of the lanyard loop and a larger thumb safety shelf. These pistols are known to collectors as "pre-Series 70" guns, as they pre-dated the Series 70 guns introduced in 1971. It was during this year that Colt introduced the first major design change to the Government Model in nearly 50 years. In an attempt to improve the accuracy of production guns the barrel bushing was redesigned, along with the barrel. In this system the bushing utilized four spring-steel "fingers" that gripped the enlarged diameter of the muzzle end of the barrel as the gun returned to battery. By tightening the fit of barrel and bushing in this manner Colt was able to improve the accuracy of the average production gun, without going through the expense of hand fitting the older solid barrel bushing to the barrel and slide. Models using the new barrel/bushing setup were the Government Model and Gold Cup, which were designated the "Mark IV Series 70" or simply Series 70 pistols. It should be noted that the shorter 4 1/4" barreled Commander pistols retained the use of the older solid bushing design and thus were never designated Series 70 pistols, although one hears the term erroneously applied to Commanders from time to time.

The new "collet" bushing (as it came to be known) worked quite well, however it was prone to breakage if the inside diameter of the slide was too small as it caused the fingers to buckle, then later break from the stress of being wedged between the barrel and slide. On pistols with oversized slides the bushing didn't grip well enough, and accuracy suffered. Because of this the collet bushing was eventually phased out sometime around 1988, with the older solid barrel bushing design being reinstated for use in production guns.

The single biggest change to the 1911 design came about in 1983, when Colt introduced the "MK IV Series 80" pistols. These guns incorporated a new firing pin block safety system, where a series of internal levers and a plunger positively blocked the firing pin from moving until the trigger was pressed, thus eliminating the possibility of the gun discharging if dropped onto a hard surface or struck hard. In this instance however, ALL of Colt's 1911-pattern pistols incorporated the new design change so even the Commander and Officer's ACP pistols became known as Series 80 guns. With the previous paragraph in mind, it is important to know that from 1983 until 1988 the early Government Model and Gold Cup Series 80 pistols used the Series 70-type barrel and bushing as well, although they were known only as Series 80 guns.

There was one other design change made to the Series 80 guns as well, and that was a re-designed half-cock notch. On all models the notch was changed to a flat shelf instead of a hook, and it is located where half-cock is engaged just as the hammer begins to be pulled back. This way the half-cock notch will still perform its job of arresting the hammer fall should your thumb slip while manually cocking the pistol, yet there is no longer a hook to possibly break and allow the hammer to fall anyway. With the notch now located near the at-rest position, you can pull the trigger on a Series 80 while at half-cock and the hammer WILL fall. However, since it was already near the at-rest position the hammer movement isn't sufficient to impact the firing pin with any amount of force.

Regarding the "clone" guns (1911-pattern pistols made by manufacturers other than Colt), only Para Ordnance (SIG, Auto Ordnance, Taurus have since adopted it also) adopted Colt's Series 80 firing pin block system as well. Kimber's Series II pistols and the new S&W 1911s have a FP safety also, but it is a different system than Colt's and is disabled by depressing the grip safety. No manufacturers aside from Colt ever adopted the Series 70 barrel/bushing arrangement, so technically there are no "Series 70" clone guns. What this means is that design-wise most of them share commonality with the pre-Series 70 guns, using neither the firing pin block NOR the collet bushing. Because of this it is important to remember that only Colt Series 80 models, and a couple of "clone" 1911 makers use a firing pin block. Older Colts and most other clone guns lack a firing pin safety and can possibly discharge if there is a round in the chamber and the gun is dropped on a hard surface, or if struck a blow hard enough to allow the firing pin to jump forward and impact the primer of the loaded round. By the way, Colt has just recently reintroduced new custom pistols lacking the S80 firing pin safety (called the Gunsite models) as well as a reintroduced original-style Series 70 to appeal to purists. Interestingly, the latter uses a solid barrel bushing and Series 80 hammer, so it is somewhat different mechanically than the original Series 70 models.

Regarding the controversy involving getting a decent trigger pull on a Series 80 gun, it is only of importance if the gunsmith attempts to create a super-light pull (under four pounds) for target or competition use. In defense/carry guns where a four-pound or heavier pull is necessary, the added friction of the Series 80 parts adds little or nothing to the pull weight or feel. A good gunsmith can do an excellent trigger job on a Series 80 and still leave all the safety parts in place, although he will probably charge a little more than if the gun were a Series 70 since there are more parts to work with. But any gunsmith who tells you that you can't get a good trigger on a Series 80 without removing the safety parts is likely either lazy or incompetent.
Old 05-30-2012, 1:46 PM

Last edited by Kenji8; 05-31-2013 at 1:19 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warguy View Post
If they had one posted on their fb why the big deal of not posting that same pic here... interesting...
That isn't the best picture that could have been taken..I wouldn't release that picture for a final product. Maybe they want an slr high resolution picture of their final product? That picture I posted is just for general reference to the grip
Old 05-30-2012, 3:22 PM

Last edited by Kenji8; 05-31-2013 at 1:16 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 3:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes take pics
Old 05-30-2012, 5:47 PM

All: deepest apologies I am about 5 days behind on updates, real life sort of took hold for a bit. I will have e-mails returned, updates posted, and confirmations sent in the next 24 hours if not sooner. Apologies for any untoward stress this caused anyone and everyone.

If you want an AMAZING German Shepherd, I know people www.ragnarshepherds.com.
Old 05-30-2012, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenji8 View Post
They are gettin their first one finished today, I could go take a picture of the final product, if I wasn't clear before.
please do. I need to decide on whether I only want 1 or more frames. I'm leaving the country soon so the sooner I see pics the better.

But from that pic on facebook, I'm not impressed with the grip. It's a good thing TM is also working on a 1911 frame.

Do we have more information on parts kits?
Old 05-30-2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingerale View Post
Do we have more information on parts kits?
Not yet

Old 05-30-2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Banana View Post
Not yet
Did you get my PM about this?

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 05-30-2012, 6:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4alex View Post
I am up in NorCal, anyone else in the SFBay Area taking part of this? Or maybe know of anywhere that can help with the finish?

In this case, maybe I need to buy a Jig.. hmm..
Yeah, I'm in the north bay and will be doing a couple depending upon what the machined product and grip look like. I'll be finishing them in the mill though, no router table for me...

as for the actual finish/coating, I didn't see if it was posted yet if this frame is aluminum or steel?

Aluminum I will do a hard coat anodize, we have a company around the corner from my shop that does this. If it's steel, I'll just do what ever the most durable coating I can buy from brownells.
Old 05-30-2012, 6:53 PM

@ DocCrazyJ I saw a note about the Caspians, Glbtrottr said he replied. If that is in error, PM me and I will get you straightened away. I don't see a note about parts kits but I am only now through my own PM's; working on his next and then PayPals and then my actual mailbox.

@MT1 Its steel, it was posted like on page 2 or 3

To all: I will not ship internationally, sorry, that makes me uncomfortable.

Old 05-30-2012, 8:12 PM

I got a possible dumb question but since it's my first built I have to be sure. Other than the slide, barrel and firing pin, what is the difference in parts between the 45 and the 9?

22LR
9MM
12Gauge
7.62x39
Old 05-30-2012, 10:19 PM

The frame is carbon steel.

The 9 needs a 38/9mm ejector, slide, barrel and a few things I forget but those are the main. I don't remember if the barrel seat was different or not
Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
Yeah, I'm in the north bay and will be doing a couple depending upon what the machined product and grip look like. I'll be finishing them in the mill though, no router table for me...

So... Party at the shop? I can bring something to Q.

- I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...
Old 05-31-2012, 8:19 AM

I might get in on this, watching for more details
Old 05-31-2012, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Just left Ares, they said the first one is going to be finished today and should be in the store tomorrow. I could go by and take pictures...
Post em up!
Old 05-31-2012, 8:07 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Old 05-31-2012, 9:28 PM

Last edited by Kenji8; 05-31-2013 at 1:16 PM..
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

<POST EDITED TO REMOVE COMPLAINING I SAID I WOULD STOP DOING>

any word from Ares confirming BATFE approval of their product, or when there will be some real pictures posted?
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.

Last edited by goober; 06-01-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Update from the streets: it's not finished yet, they did say that there is going to be a little video and pic session before it goes to the store for people to see and touch. I spoke to the guy who is actually putting his hands on the gun. He did say that the grip system is also part of the trigger guard, like in the CAD picture. Further more the marking or grip pattern was unable to be shown because of something with the CAD picture... That is all I know...
So this isn't an all steel 1911 like a colt or SA? It's more like an STI?
Old 06-01-2012, 7:52 AM

Last edited by Kenji8; 05-31-2013 at 1:17 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

So grips can't switched?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:07 AM

We're all "chomping at the bit" here! Was there a new date on pics?

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically." Albert Einstein
Old 06-01-2012, 3:02 PM

As promised here are pics of the prototype. Finished and test fired today at Iron Sights here in Oceanside, and it functioned flawlessly. The grip is a printed grip and won't ship the way it appears in the pics. We would have shown it with the molded grip but anyone that is familiar with injection molding knows how long it takes to finish a mold and we didn't want to make everyone wait till that process is finished. And the slide is a SA slide as we won't have the Caspian slide in for another week and a half.

Attachment 152556

Attachment 152558

Attachment 152560

Attachment 152562

Attachment 152563

Last edited by AR-Tuma; 09-12-2012 at 6:26 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 3:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Looks nice. Can we confirm that the 80% will be un-marked???

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 06-01-2012, 3:31 PM
CGN Contributor

based on the design of the grip (I understand it was rapid prototyped), I am out. I do not like the shape of the grip at all. The interface between the top of the grip and the bottom of the frame is just fugly. And because of that design, most ambi safeties won't work since there isn't a right side grip to capture the tab of the safety.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-01-2012, 3:36 PM

Also, the screws to secure the grip to the frame won't protrude like the ones in the pics. We have ones that will flush mount inbound but felt the need to answer the call for pics instead of wait till they get here.
Old 06-01-2012, 3:42 PM
CGN Contributor

I assumed that there would be some better mounting screws, but to have all that metal between the top of the grip and the bottom of the frame just looks wrong to me.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-01-2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I assumed that there would be some better mounting screws, but to have all that metal between the top of the grip and the bottom of the frame just looks wrong to me.
He did say the grip wasn't final, but how high up do you plan on gripping the gun? Looks like more than enough surface covered for the job.
Old 06-01-2012, 4:16 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

For those of us with access to rapid prototypers, are you guys planning to offer different grip types, or might you be willing to release the CAD file for the grips? If you're mostly invested in the receiver part, maybe letting people design their own grips using your file as a base (Makerplace has a 3d printer, for instance) would address the various grip concerns and end the "Oh, wait, can you make one that takes <X> mags?!?" questions.

...now that I think about it - even if you DON'T want to release the grip file to the public, might you be interested in letting folks have the CAD file if they sign an NDA? It could be a free way to build an inventory of grip options which magically accept, say, Sig mags or Para mags, etc.

Letting it be open though, would really jump-start the thing and give it an overwhelming market advantage as people start releasing all kinds of different grips for your platform.

Last edited by grammaton76; 06-01-2012 at 4:47 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

I actually like the look of the grip/receiver junction. I'm down for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRazz View Post
I don't wish to be known as a set of tits behind a gun.
Old 06-01-2012, 4:41 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIguns View Post
He did say the grip wasn't final, but how high up do you plan on gripping the gun? Looks like more than enough surface covered for the job.
as I mentioned above, the shape of the shown grip (I'm assuming that he was just talking about it looking like a rapid prototype grip and not a molded grip, not that the entire shape of the grip would be different) shows me that there is NOT enough surface coverage to do the job. I like ambi safeties and I do not want to be restricted to just one or two versions. The right side grip does not come up high enough to retain many/most right side safeties.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that with a standard grip, your strong side thumb is going to be above the grip.

As I said before, it looks wrong and fugly to ME, so I would not be interested in purchasing one if the final grip is of the same design as the one picitured. I would prefer a grip assembly that looked like it had standard 1911 grip panels, similar to how the STI grip frame is.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:19 PM

I like it!!! I can't wait to get mine!!!

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

I'm kinda with Ke6guj on this. The design around the safety just looks wrong, almost like it's bending inward.

I'm still in for the two I paid for, but I'd like to request that you this be modified to look more like standard 1911s. If that's just the light or something, that's cool. But like I said, it just looks off...
Old 06-02-2012, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

The grip design is kinda ugly but it is kinda growing on me. It would have been cool if it was a full length dust cover, then people could cut it down if they didnt want it full length

PM me for electrical work
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 AM

im in for 1

NRA Life Member...Are you?!?!

Can't wait to be DEEP SEA!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure." Thomas Jefferson 1787

Old 06-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Interest. Pending information on final costs
+interest in parts kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
Hope this helps and remember.... If you meet a nice girl be good. If you can't be good, be safe. If you can't be safe, don't name it after me.
Old 06-02-2012, 2:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
based on the design of the grip (I understand it was rapid prototyped), I am out. I do not like the shape of the grip at all. The interface between the top of the grip and the bottom of the frame is just fugly. And because of that design, most ambi safeties won't work since there isn't a right side grip to capture the tab of the safety.

Basically this.
Old 06-02-2012, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone (or more than one) in the Central Valley want to get in on this and split a Jig with me?

Let me know,