Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-07-2011, 2:06 PM

Default How to make your Advantage Arms Glock 22 conversion eat anything

I've been meaning to post this for fellow CG'ers but never got around to it mainly because I made the mod to all of my mags and forgot to take a before and after picture to help understand what you need to do.

Well, today I just got another kit for my 35 and thus have a virgin mag to show what you need to do. My 19-22 conversion kit is for sale BTW.

So for those of you with the AA 22 conversion kit, you might already know by now that it's a finicky conversion kit at best with remington golds. This was not going to work for me because I had all kinds of different 22 ammo and I just really hated how dirty the remmy golds are.

So I set out to figure our WTF is going on... My issue was always a failure to extract or a stovepipe. So I took the barrel out and set it on the frame and inserted a magazine to see if I could find anything.

What I found is easy to miss... but if you look below... the path of extraction that the bullet needs to take is obstructed just enough by the lips of the magazine (not to be mistaken by the follower). I'm holding the follower down with the slide release BTW... that's why you don't see the follower.

So I took a dremel and simply removed material from the magazine lips (again NOT the follower!!!). I recommend sticking an allen wrench into the cut on the side of the magazine to keep the follower down. Or simply disassemble it. You only need to remove a little bit... enough so that it's not in the way when the bullet is being extracted. You can pretty much just eyeball this if you hold it up to your eye. The result should look like this.

Here's a side by side comparison of a modified mag (left) and unmodified (right). Note that I accidentally didn't hold them perfectly even (the followers heights should have been even) so it doesn't look too dramatic of a difference in this shot.

Here's another one... if you look real closely... the mag up front is the modified one and if you look behind it... you'll see how much material I removed.

I also polished the feed ramp of the barrel, but I highly doubt it had any influence.

So... after I did this to all of my AA mags... guess what.... this thing eats ANYTHING now! The ONLY time I can get it to hiccup on me now is if I let the feed ramp, chamber/barrel, or extractor hook get caked up with 22 grime.

I've fed it winchesters xxx, federals, remys, sub-sonic, the 333 stuff... wally stuff, CCI... hell I even have it properly extract CB shorts (though it won't feed for obvious reasons).

I truly believe this is the way this conversion should have came, and it probably wouldn't have as bad of a rep if the mag lips were just a bit shorter.

So try it out! I can dump a full mag with ease and no hiccups now!
Old 05-07-2011, 2:25 PM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Thanks for the report.
What the heck, I'll give one mag a try, what's the most I can lose, $25?
Old 05-07-2011, 4:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice writeup with a nice simple solution.
Old 05-07-2011, 4:29 PM

Tag. Thx
Old 05-07-2011, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Wish you had this 5 years ago when I had my conversion kit. I had the same issues as you but decided to sell instead of modify. This sounds like a service you could offer for those of us less capable with a Dremel.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 05-07-2011, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
Wish you had this 5 years ago when I had my conversion kit. I had the same issues as you but decided to sell instead of modify. This sounds like a service you could offer for those of us less capable with a Dremel.
You could also use a hand file. Less chance of removing to much or screwing things up if done manually with a file.
Old 05-07-2011, 5:40 PM

Well I did a little dremiling on 2 of my A.A. mags rounding the front corners of the mag.I'm heading to the range in the morning we'll see if it helps the fte's w/ the A.A.
I normally shoot 300+ rounds with the .22 doing my FRONT SIGHT drills than I switch to my 9mm slide and shoot 100+ rounds finishing up my drills
I'll let you all know if there's any change
Old 05-07-2011, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Watching this with interest. Don't particularly have any problems with Remington GB, but it's always nice to have a choice.
Old 05-08-2011, 1:21 PM

well I'm back from the range I shot 300+ rounds rem gb 36 gn bulk pac, I used 2 modified mags and 2 stock mags I marked the modified mags, I mixed the mags ups and did my normal shooting drills. the results are 1 fte with modified mags,8 fte with stock mags INTERESTING the 1 fte with modified mag was after shooting 200+ rnds and things were getting dirty.
I'll be going to the range on mon.again, I'll report back how it goes. I tried shooting fed. 36 gn bulk pac with no luck, will not eject 100% the owners manual says it will not shoot with fed. but I thought I'd give it a try
Old 05-08-2011, 1:22 PM

I have a kit coming for my G20. AA should do this from the git go!

I have a case of blazer. Would be nice to use this instead of the Remington stuff.

Are you guys leaving the sights on it came with? I would like the same sight picture that my G20 has.
Old 05-08-2011, 4:55 PM

Sootytom, might want to try removing just a bit more material. When I first experimented, I noticed 2 of my mags that I dremeled refused the federals. I went home to compare how much material I removed and sure enough i hadn't removed as much as my other 3 that were running 100%.

I should note that this is on the AA -19/23 kit. I don't have my g35 yet so I've yet to try this on the 17/34/35 kit.

But my g19 with my modified AA mags run like a top! And if I wasn't selling my g19 and AA kit... I'd totally take video of me dumping a mag of federals.
Old 05-08-2011, 7:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Great writeup and thanks for the pictures. I'll have to give this a try. I wonder why the factory hasn't figured this out/modified their mags?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM

Also worth noting that you should make sure there's no oil/dirt on the extractor hook. I remember mine starting to hate federals after that started getting dirty/slippery.
Old 05-09-2011, 8:19 PM

I went to the range again today I shot 240 rounds 50% thru 2 modified mags and 50% thru 2 stock mags mixing the mags up thru out my drills. today I had 0 malf. with modified mags and 4 malf. thru stock mags
I tried grinding a little more off of 1 of the modified mags and it still didn't like the fed bulk ammo which is ok with me because it's shooting the CHEAP rem gb so well
I'm going to try my test a few more time in the next week and if I continue to get the same results I'll be modifing all my advan. arms mags for both of my kits
Old 05-10-2011, 5:26 AM

Gotta try this out. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-2011, 8:26 AM

Hmmm, I'm a little disappointed it won't extract your federals. Are you using 36gr high velocity? Also which kit are you using (compact or full size?)

I'm glad it's making your kit 100% with rgb's at least.
Old 05-15-2011, 7:22 PM

Just took mines out after sanding down the mag... Now I shoot cci blazers with no issues. Gums up dirtier then cci mini mags but since I can shoot blazers out my 10/22 and now my conversion kit, it makes it easier to handle just one set of ammo for several firearms.
Old 05-15-2011, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

I did this 2-3 months ago at the range with a pocket knife to a half dozen mags. My old magazine with the steel feed lips was noticeably different than the new ones I was using for the first time. Took about 5 min per mag.

There's threads all over the net about slicking up these conversions.
Old 05-17-2011, 2:48 PM

well I went to the range for the 3rd time since I modifieded 2 of my mags, results of the
3rd trip I shot 400 rounds rem gb thru 2 stock and 2 modified mags
1 ftf and zero fte thru modified mags
2 ftf and 10 fte thru stock mags
I'll be modifing all my advantage arms mags now I've shot 1000+ rounds and have had a huge improvement in how my guns have run.I'm not worried about shooting all brands of ammo the rem gb is cheap and available and I shoot this for lots of trigger time with my glocks without breaking the bank
Old 05-17-2011, 3:49 PM

The latest mags are already modified. Well, at least the ones fo the 17/22 kit, they also are ambidextrous? but anyhow, the lips on these mags are already low (short) so I have no problem with the extraction only with FTF. What causes failure to fire?....I have no idea, I get lots of "clicks" (2-3 out of a mag) and no BANGS! I have been using CCI MiniMag round nose, RemGB and Winchester. Any advice?...somebody?...anybody?

Last edited by SalfromCal; 05-21-2011 at 7:01 PM..
Old 05-18-2011, 8:05 PM

I modified the rest of the mags last night,I went to the range today and shot 550 rounds of rem gb I had 2 fte total THANKS UMMAGAWD for the tip, loving my g27 with AA KIT
Old 05-19-2011, 12:53 AM

Anybody try the cci velocitors in there c/k? Plan on on going to Los altos in the morning and try out some rem gb's and more blazers. Some velocitors would be nice since it's still 40 grain but in HP.
Old 05-21-2011, 5:30 PM

Cool... good to hear people are benefitting!

The FTF (assuming you're talking about failure to fire would be due to a light or worn out striker spring). Failure to feed would be due to the ammo, gummed/dirty ramp or chamber, or not enough slide force.

Calgunz... I've shot CCI's hyper velocity ammo (i think they were called stingers)... everything was fine with it and you could definitely feel more kick!
Old 05-21-2011, 7:05 PM

Failure to fire would be due to a light or worn out striker spring....Just purchased this kit, brand new, never fired until now.
Old 05-22-2011, 4:34 PM

I'm figuring my ftf failure to fires were because I'm shooting the cheapest rimfire ammo. I had good firing pin strikes on case it just didn't go bang,no problem good range practice tap,rack,back on target
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM

Yea, I should have also mentioned that rimfire ammo is bound to have a few duds... Try changing ammo and see if you still see FTFs
Old 06-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Wishing I had my AA kit with me so I could check out if I need to shave down my Mags. Guess I will have to wait until I get home. Only used it once but seemed to have FTE if I loaded mag with more that 5 rounds. Was using the CCI Mini Mags.
Old 06-14-2011, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalfromCal View Post
Failure to fire would be due to a light or worn out striker spring....Just purchased this kit, brand new, never fired until now.
Are you getting good strikes on the rounds? I was getting light strikes on my AA kit, causing failure to fire, too (getting 1 or 2 per mag, way too much to be dud ammo). Wasn't sure what was causing it, but gave it a healthy dose of aerosol CLP that I had with me at the range, a quick once-over with a nylon brush, and the problem went away. I'm assuming that the firing pin was gunked up, causing the problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 5:38 PM

I was getting good strikes but the kit was brand new at that time and just in need of a good brake in, the slide wasn't closing completly because the extractor was hitting the ramped cut out on the breech (to much contact) so I did a very lite "magic" filing to the edge of the extractor in direct contact with the ramp, gave the kit a good dose of oil and racked the slide about 50 times back and forth by hand and then shot 100rd of CCI and..voilá!! problem solved. Now it works great and after 500rd still shooting like a dream, only one ftf..
Old 08-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Thank you so much ummagawd.

I fired 500+ CCI Blazer today and with only a couple hiccups. Totally different gun. It used to jam every other round even with minimags.
Old 09-14-2011, 1:59 PM

I used to get FTE and FTF with Rem GB and 36gr CCi Mini-mags after about 100 rounds. Works perfectly now. Thanks ummagawd!

Has anyone tried shooting Winchester M22 .22LR Ammunition after this mod? Interested since Walmart is selling 1000rd bulk packs for around $44.99.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM

Glad to hear this is working out for folks. While I don't have any AA kits anymore, I hope that if I do pick another one up that AA will have corrected this by then.
Old 06-25-2012, 4:51 PM

I know that this is an older thread but just wanted to let anyone who is interested that the brand new 17-22 kit I just purchased had shaved down mag lips like the mod that is shown. The mag lips are noticably different than some older 17-22 mags I have. I appears that the factory paid attention.
Old 06-25-2012, 6:57 PM

AA was already aware of the problem and they started shaving down the mag lips since last year (post#20) but looks like they first wanted to play it safe by getting rid/selling the old mags before coming out with the new and improved product. With all the new .22cal semi-auto pistol coming out on the market these days why bother with these kits?.. well, that's just my own opininion
Old 06-25-2012, 7:24 PM

cool i've been looking for a .22 handgun.. i'll just get this conversion for my G23c no 11 day wait
Old 07-16-2012, 5:46 PM

IF YOU SPRAY THE AMMO WITH WD-40, THAT MAKES ALMOST ANY CHEAP 22LR FEED AND EJECT WELL... I SHOT ABOUT 12,000 ROUNDS IN THE LAST 6 MONTHS...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Anyone trim the AA captive spring to reduce the weight?

I think the gun it too light and lifting with the slide not allowing the rounds to fully eject sometimes.
I'm planning on tinkering a little with the recoil spring (1 coil). Too much and you get FTF.

How do you remove that captive spring?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:22 PM

I shoot the 500-525 & 550 round boxes of Remington, CCI and Federal.
I just spray the box with WD40 and Viola!
With 5 mags I go through the box in about 1 hour popping off 50 rounds at a time!
That's only 10 reloads... aka 4 paper targets are used per reload of 50 rounds...
Old 12-29-2013, 4:55 PM

Just a re-bump since I see more people picking up this kit.
Old 03-13-2014, 4:50 AM

Default Any benefit to reshaping newer AA mags?

Hi, guys

I have the newer kit with the magazines with the factory modified feed lips for my Gen 4 G19. I'm wondering if there is any benefit to further shaping? My Federal Champion 36 grain hollow point ammo does not behave well and I wonder if I can squeeze more reliability out of the kit by tinkering, or if I'm asking for too much?

Best
Erik