Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-27-2011, 5:57 PM

50 rounds of 45 LC using 255 grain lead SWC bullets and Universal. 25 cases with CCI 300's and 25 cases with Win WLP primers. 4 different configurations of cowboy type loads. And I don't even own anything that can digest the stuff.
Old 06-27-2011, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I just finished swaging the primer pockets on 200+ milsurp 303 British cases. My hands are killing me...
I feel your pain. I've got a whole bunch of .mil 9mm NATO brass & have been decrimping 'em with a Forster hand trimmer.

Free brass is free brass, tho!

BTW, people. This is supposed to be an ammo pr0n thread. Pictures! Prefferably nice, polished brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Just finished prepping, polishing and priming about 125 pieces of Lapua 7.62x39 brass. Now ordering some boolits from Grafs...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 06-28-2011, 1:17 AM

a whopping ten rounds of 45 acp of course I hadnt set up my dies yet and had only an hour before work.....

230gr LRN
Winchester LPP
5.0 grains of unique
Old 06-28-2011, 6:36 AM

15 rounds of .223 rem 69 gr. match bthp for a friend's bolt action. The first 15 rounds grouped less that 1" avg. Hopefully the 2nd time around the groups would tightened up a bit.

Also processing .223 brass at 100 batches at a time so I don't wind up with blister on the fingers and sore hands. I still have 900 more pieces to go.
Old 06-28-2011, 7:07 AM

Default Blisters and Ammo

I agree with yo there, 100 at a time is about my limit then I need a break. along with brass slivers from case cutting.
I shot 150 rounds yesterday LMT Upper SS 1-8 I am reloading the Moly 69 grn BT Sierra JHP Matchkings, I am using Remington BR Primers and the powder is Varget. I was told by a Match competitor that a flat 25 grains is a perfect load. I went to handloads.com and it is a very popular powder. Compressed powder indeed, the crunch really got me at first I am happy with the final results (no comparison to Store Purchased).
One question, To Crimp or Not to Crimp, I am getting a mixed bag of responses from may old time loaders and I have 2 years expierence at this, I dont want to ruin my accuracy by crimping I use the Lee Crimp tool. It is a light crimp.
Old 06-28-2011, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPCO View Post
One question, To Crimp or Not to Crimp, I am getting a mixed bag of responses from may old time loaders and I have 2 years expierence at this, I dont want to ruin my accuracy by crimping I use the Lee Crimp tool. It is a light crimp.
I know some people insist on crimping for self-loading rifles, but I never crimp and have not yet had any issues even after thousands of rounds held by nothing but neck tension...

Oh, and I ordered 200 Hornaday 123grn VMAX bullets and 200 Hornaday 123grn spire SPs to reload this holiday weekend.... 7.62x39 and then .45ACPs until I get all my 30-06 brass processed...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Calguns Addict

300 rnds .45, single stage press.
When my neighbor asked what all those crates were, I told him if he sees smoke coming from my garage, and me running down the street......he better catch up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Just go to safeway to shop for food. The young good looking couple buying healthy food...they're a new couple. The fat ones wearing ****ty clothes not caring about how they look, getting frozen food...they're married!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

No actual loading today -- just some sorting of 43 mauser brass, 11mm spanish brass, and checking out the 22cal and 11mm cal moulds. Thinking about firing up the furnace next week and casting a few.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Finished 100 rounds of .45 ACP using mixed brass, CCI primers, 5.8grns of Win 231 and Nosler 185grn HPs... also primed another 150 nickel cases for some FMJs tomorrow.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

some 160gr FTX 30-30 test loads, and some load workup for a 124gr round nose 9mm.

WHY CAN'T I JUST STICK WITH LOADS I HAVE?!

It seems like I'm always tinkering with a new bullet or powder
Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1989 View Post
It seems like I'm always tinkering with a new bullet or powder
Ha, I did that for quite a time. Now I'm sticking with what works.
Unless I find something on sale, of course!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 7:24 PM

308, 168 grain AMax in Lapua case, Varget powder. We will see how they sail in the morning.

Diego

Old 07-01-2011, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

22 rounds of 8x57. Seriously awesome fun. Even though it is whiskey time I am pondering some 38 special loads.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 07-01-2011, 8:16 PM

Loaded 50 rounds of 9mm, first time using Berry's 124gr, 3.8gr of TG. Hopefully I can shoot them soon and see how my G34 likes them.
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957
Old 07-01-2011, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

600 45acp 200gr SWC, 7gr Unique
Old 07-02-2011, 5:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

100 rounds of 223 using 55gr Hornady FMJBT and Tac (20 rounds each of 22.6, 22.8, 23.0, 23.2 and 23.4 gr) use 200 rounds of same with 23.4 for a budddy to blast out of the Saiga 223.

-G
Old 07-02-2011, 6:10 PM

Six rounds of a new .38 Special +P+ test load, using WSF powder and Berry's 125 grain plated HP bullets. Should give 1150+ fps from a 4" barrel. I'll try them out tomorrow if I get a chance, use up the last of my Berry's HP's to tweak the load, and switch to Remington half-jackets when I run out. (Remingtons are the actual goal here, I'm just using up my last couple of dozen Berry's to get the load close)
Old 07-02-2011, 6:52 PM

500 rounds of 124 Grs MG 9mm, 3.85 of W231, in my garage that felt like it was 600 degrees.
Old 07-02-2011, 7:07 PM

Reloaded nothing. Impact coated 200 more SMK 175's.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit...... he set in de bushes..... he watch an' he wait... lay low an' he don' say nuffin'.

www.swissproductsllc.com
Old 07-02-2011, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Okay, got my x39 bullets from Grafs today... so tomorrow morning is set!

Old 07-02-2011, 7:29 PM

Finally got around to picking up some WST and loaded up 150 rounds(50 each at 4.3, 4.5 and 4.7 grains) with Hornady 115gr FMJ's to see which performs the best.
Old 07-02-2011, 9:47 PM

100 rounds of Sierra 69g HPBT, 23.5g TAC, in 5.56, 2.249 OAL. Made 20 as test the other day, shot them today, nice. So made more.

Also made 100 55g FMJ's with 25g H335. Sort of a standard for me for paper.
Old 07-03-2011, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Yesterday was just one of those days.

After the Giant's game was over I went down to try out my new Redding dual ring size/decap die in .45 ACP.

I decided I would first try one of my favorite target loads of some R-P brass, Berry's 185gr HBRN with 5.8grs of VV-N320. I set up my Auto Disk Pro with the right disk, doubled checked my charge on the scale and proceeded to be amazed at how smooth the Redding sizer worked.

One thing that started happening right away is my Lee Safety Prime started dropping primers on the floor, something that had not happened in about 10,000 rounds on my Lee turret. At first I thought it was just something I was doing, and proceeded to have to hunt around on the floor for a dropped primer about every other cartridge until I got so pissed I stopped and took the time to realign the Safety Prime to the press. That stoppage out of the way, I proceeded on.

After about 20 rounds completed I glaced down at my box of bullets and realized, I was loading 230gr RN and not 185gr HBRN. Crud! I had recently bought some plastic containers to store bullets in and had not taken the time to label them. Most of the bullets I load are pretty apparent what they are by looking, but the 185gr HBRN and 230gr RN Berry's look identical except for the hollow base in the 185's. Normally this is pretty apparent if you are looking closely, obviously I was not looking closely enough when I started.

No really big deal, I just went over to the SS press, put my RCBS collet puller in and proceeded to pull all 20 bullets.

When I pull bullets I like to resize the brass before reloading, so I dumped the powder of each back into the hopper and proceeded to deprime and resize each case. While de-priming I was catching the live primers as they came out of the bottom of the ram, of course, I missed a few with even more crawling around on the floor looking for live primers. Crud!

After getting everything sorted I grabbed the box of 185gr HBRN bullets and proceeded to start loading again. About 5 rounds into my batch of re-runs I pulled the loaded round from the shellholder and watched as some VV-N320 came from the head of the round. I turned it up and realized I had fogot to put a primer in the cup for that round.

At this exact instant, I realized what was going on. The dogs have been getting me up really early these long days and I was really tired, too tired to be loading. In my younger days I would have pressed on, being an iron man and all. These days I just accept my limitations.

I pulled the bullets I had done, dumped the powder back into its bottle, placed the primers back in the Safety Prime, dumped the lubed R-P brass back into the R-P brass box and went upstairs.. Tomorrow will be another day.

So today (yesterday actually) I didn't actually load anything.

Sorry for the long post guys, have a happy and safe Independence Day!
Old 07-03-2011, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
Yesterday was just one of those days.

After the Giant's game was over I went down to try out my new Redding dual ring size/decap die in .45 ACP.

I decided I would first try one of my favorite target loads of some R-P brass, Berry's 185gr HBRN with 5.8grs of VV-N320. I set up my Auto Disk Pro with the right disk, doubled checked my charge on the scale and proceeded to be amazed at how smooth the Redding sizer worked.

One thing that started happening right away is my Lee Safety Prime started dropping primers on the floor, something that had not happened in about 10,000 rounds on my Lee turret. At first I thought it was just something I was doing, and proceeded to have to hunt around on the floor for a dropped primer about every other cartridge until I got so pissed I stopped and took the time to realign the Safety Prime to the press. That stoppage out of the way, I proceeded on.

After about 20 rounds completed I glaced down at my box of bullets and realized, I was loading 230gr RN and not 185gr HBRN. Crud! I had recently bought some plastic containers to store bullets in and had not taken the time to label them. Most of the bullets I load are pretty apparent what they are by looking, but the 185gr HBRN and 230gr RN Berry's look identical except for the hollow base in the 185's. Normally this is pretty apparent if you are looking closely, obviously I was not looking closely enough when I started.

No really big deal, I just went over to the SS press, put my RCBS collet puller in and proceeded to pull all 20 bullets.

When I pull bullets I like to resize the brass before reloading, so I dumped the powder of each back into the hopper and proceeded to deprime and resize each case. While de-priming I was catching the live primers as they came out of the bottom of the ram, of course, I missed a few with even more crawling around on the floor looking for live primers. Crud!

After getting everything sorted I grabbed the box of 185gr HBRN bullets and proceeded to start loading again. About 5 rounds into my batch of re-runs I pulled the loaded round from the shellholder and watched as some VV-N320 came from the head of the round. I turned it up and realized I had fogot to put a primer in the cup for that round.

At this exact instant, I realized what was going on. The dogs have been getting me up really early these long days and I was really tired, too tired to be loading. In my younger days I would have pressed on, being an iron man and all. These days I just accept my limitations.

I pulled the bullets I had done, dumped the powder back into its bottle, placed the primers back in the Safety Prime, dumped the lubed R-P brass back into the R-P brass box and went upstairs.. Tomorrow will be another day.

So today (yesterday actually) I didn't actually load anything.

Sorry for the long post guys, have a happy and safe Independence Day!
I feel for you, but it looks like it was still A GOOD DAY! You caught it and that's all that matters. It's better to have a wasted day than a day at the ER. Get some rest and get back in there when you are ready
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
9mm might expand but .45 never shrinks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Constitutional rights are not dependent on your neighbors' opinions'.
If you shop at Amazon.com please use the link below. A portion of your purchase goes to CGF.
http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF...reative=390957
Old 07-03-2011, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Default Yep, one lucky guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Pressure View Post
I feel for you, but it looks like it was still A GOOD DAY! You caught it and that's all that matters. It's better to have a wasted day than a day at the ER. Get some rest and get back in there when you are ready
I agree completely.

Thanks to the great advice from Skee, I always test the first round of any batch I load as a single in the magazine. The 185gr load would have been way over the line with the 230's. At a minimum I probably would have demo'ed the barrel and slide of my pistol.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

100 berrys 124 round nose with 4.5(+/-.1) unique. Gotta push out 300 more for my shoot tomorrow
Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I did up another 100 rounds of 45 acp last night: mixed brass, Magtech primers 4.9grns of Win 231 and Armscor 230grn FMJs.

Old 07-03-2011, 1:26 PM

I was not really happy with my last batch, I think the nut behind the trigger was off!! So I reloaded the same batch with two groups of SMK to boot!! Now I just have to find time to make them fly.

Diego
Old 07-03-2011, 2:17 PM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker9 View Post
100 rounds of Sierra 69g HPBT, 23.5g TAC, in 5.56, 2.249 OAL. Made 20 as test the other day, shot them today, nice. So made more.
50 rounds of 5.56, 55gr Hornady FMJBT Wolf SRM Primer, TAC @ 24.2, 24.5, 24.8, 25.1 and 25.5 gr COAL 2.245. I'll try these out in the morning at Lincoln in preparation for the 200 part of the 200/300/600 match next weekend at Sac Valley.

What barrel length and twist are you running your 69's through? I'm looking for a good accurate load for those and 77's our of a 20" 1/8" RRA barrel.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM

40 rounds 7.5x54 French using H4895 (41.0grs) and the green plastic tip Nosler ballstictip .308 165gr projectiles on privi brass. Shot pretty well.
Old 07-04-2011, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict

10 rounds of 460 S&W using 200 grain barnes XPB copper rounds.

Finished off my lead cast in 45 colt, ~70-120 rounds or so, didn't bother to count. Two loads, ruger-ridiculous, and cowboy-feels-like-22LR.

And 5 rounds of 45 long colt shotshell snake loads using the speer capsules. Used steel shot, magnet friendly, condor friendly.

lastly, cowboy rounds in 460 brass for good measure. just a goofball load. 8 of them.

Last edited by Whiterabbit; 07-04-2011 at 9:00 PM..
Old 07-05-2011, 7:14 PM

Got a new scope for the old 30.06. Loaded 12 rounds of 155gr. A-Max's over 50gr. IMR 4064 to sight it in. Then loaded some Berger 168gr. VLD's at .010 off lands then .04 shorter for tests with what I calculated as a safe load of 47.6gr. IMR 4064 to experiment. That didn't take long as the loads seated to .010 to .050 off the lands were amazingly acurate vs. the ones seated just .040 deeper. NOW DON'T GO OUT AND BUY BERGER BULLETS UNTIL YOU MEASURE YOUR MAGAZINE.....It better be at least .15 longer than published C.O.A.L. in reloading manuals for your cartridge, unless you want to single load
Old 07-05-2011, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Just finished another 80 rounds of 7.62x39 with 123grn VMAX boolits atop 24.5 grns of 1680. Have another 120 to go... but it's slow on a single stage!
The can is just about full!

Last edited by Full Clip; 07-06-2011 at 8:50 AM..
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM

107 rds of 9mm, thought about doing more but decided to actually watch the end of independence day.
Old 07-06-2011, 7:04 PM

Started to reload 308win with Varget 36.2g, I only was able to reload 60 rounds because "something else" came up.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-06-2011, 7:41 PM

Nothing. it's too damn hot in the garage.
Old 07-06-2011, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

wuss. I loaded nothing either. I'm out of primers and bullets.
Old 07-07-2011, 7:40 AM

Lets see last night was 250 rounds of 9mm 115gr. Berry's plated with 4.0grs. of Titegroup and Win SP primers.

A couple days ago it was 200 rounds of .223 Rem. Sierra MK 69gr. in a few different test loads. Used up almost a 1 pound bottle of BL-C(2) with those loads. I'm still working on my last few hundred CCI #400 SRP.

I hope to load a few hundred .40 S&W rounds this weekend if I can make the time.

Here is an older pic until I can upload a new pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0307.jpg (97.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by SandDiegoDuner; 07-07-2011 at 9:31 AM.. Reason: added pic
Old 07-07-2011, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
I feel your pain. I've got a whole bunch of .mil 9mm NATO brass & have been decrimping 'em with a Forster hand trimmer.

Free brass is free brass, tho!

BTW, people. This is supposed to be an ammo pr0n thread. Pictures! Prefferably nice, polished brass.
Seconded