Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM

Worked for me now too, thanks! Must've been a one off.
Old 02-20-2013, 9:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I emailed Mr. Withrow tonight asking his position on the 2nd Amendment and CCW stance. Here is his reply.

"Mr. xxxxxxx,
Thank You for taking the time to write and voice your concern. As you may have guessed I get this question a lot lately and I'm very familiar with Mr. Moores campaign stance and flip flop on this issue. I believe that my job as Sheriff, as it pertains to CCW's, is to make sure there is no legal or mental heath issue that would keep a citizen from being issued a CCW. If there is no such issue then every citizen should have equal access to a CCW. It is our legal right to be able to protect ourselves, families and neighbors and in these trying times we in law enforcement need as much help as we can get.

I would enjoy speaking to you and others in the Calguns community at anytime. Please feel free to contact me, that is my personal cell number, and or set up a meeting where I could speak to more of your members. Thanks again for the questions."

He got back to me within a few hours which I appreciate.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM

Hello everyone,

I have of lately been interested in trying obtain a ccw especially with how bad the crime in Stockton is. Unfortunately, I do not consider myself above the normal citizen as Sheriff Moore continually stresses yet still denies individuals. My GC would simply be for my families (3 young daughters & wife) and my protection. One specific reason would be that we enjoy family walks throughout our neighborhood and surroundings and have seen of latley more vacant homes being taken over by squatters and undesirable people you would not want living around you. Infact, the house 2 houses down from us was raided by the stockton PD.

I know my background is squeaky clean, no arrests, DUI's, moving violations, no run ins whatsoever. Yet, I am unnecessarily discouraged with Sheriff Moore and all the denials posted on this thread.

I do have a cousin who is currently a SGT with the San Joaquin Sheriffs dept. Would my chances be increased if I asked him to write a simple letter attesting to my moral character? I am asking this because I am not sure if I should even try or maybe wait until next year when the current sheriff may be replaced.?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM

At least the criminals in Stockton can conceal carry

skip to 2:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3TY9qeE#t=143s
Old 03-27-2013, 4:13 PM

Default CCW challenge

How does the challenge process work? Had a CCW in Manteca and had renewed once. New Police Chief denied renewal. Went to SJSD and after almost 7 months was issued a permit but now have restrictions. Would like to help others in Manteca & get rid of restrictions. Will make all documents available to CGF if I can be directed to proper person.
Old 03-28-2013, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavern Keeper View Post
How does the challenge process work? Had a CCW in Manteca and had renewed once. New Police Chief denied renewal. Went to SJSD and after almost 7 months was issued a permit but now have restrictions. Would like to help others in Manteca & get rid of restrictions. Will make all documents available to CGF if I can be directed to proper person.
I too have restrictions on my permit when others in my same situation in the past did not. The restriction pretty much just makes the permit worthless. It is my understanding that the Sheriff is doing this as his way of giving us the middle finger. I can't wait until he is voted out and we can get in a new Sheriff who is 2a friendly. You can submit an amendment application form to try and remove the restriction. I tried and was unsuccessful even though I thought I had a good reason for it's removal. Not sure this will work but here is a link to the form.
http://calgunsfoundation.org/wp-cont...dment_form.pdf
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Can you say what restrictions you have?
Old 03-28-2013, 1:19 PM

Default CCW challenge

I can, but would rather not put too much more into public then I allready have. Let's just say 'reasonable' is not.
Old 03-30-2013, 1:51 AM

Sheriff Moore wont issue CCW's. Ive talked to him about this before, and he doesn't have a coherent thought about it. He is a retarded micro-manager with little man syndrome. I had turned down a job with them, and im glad I did. That said my dad is a pretty active political player in Stockton, retired Stockton PD SGT, and SO Volenteer, and he is looking into helping get rid of Moore next year.I think Mr. Withrow's chances are pretty good.
Old 03-30-2013, 6:21 PM

hold on man the "wheels are turning".................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................
Old 03-30-2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaz View Post
Hello everyone,

I have of lately been interested in trying obtain a ccw especially with how bad the crime in Stockton is. Unfortunately, I do not consider myself above the normal citizen as Sheriff Moore continually stresses yet still denies individuals. My GC would simply be for my families (3 young daughters & wife) and my protection. One specific reason would be that we enjoy family walks throughout our neighborhood and surroundings and have seen of latley more vacant homes being taken over by squatters and undesirable people you would not want living around you. Infact, the house 2 houses down from us was raided by the stockton PD.

I know my background is squeaky clean, no arrests, DUI's, moving violations, no run ins whatsoever. Yet, I am unnecessarily discouraged with Sheriff Moore and all the denials posted on this thread.

I do have a cousin who is currently a SGT with the San Joaquin Sheriffs dept. Would my chances be increased if I asked him to write a simple letter attesting to my moral character? I am asking this because I am not sure if I should even try or maybe wait until next year when the current sheriff may be replaced.?
I hate to burst your bubble, but Moore will not issue unless you made major cash support to his campaign. We need to get this anti 2A out of office.
Old 03-31-2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz dr View Post
hold on man the "wheels are turning".................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................
I too feel the pain of hitting my head against a wall. Sooo frustrating.
Old 04-15-2013, 6:25 PM

Well, this ol woodbridge resident and a couple other of my fellow county constituents are ready to apply whenever an organized movement happens again. will donate, rally support and volunteer as well, just need direction. im dedicated to the cause! after much research and 17 gut crushing pages, how couldnt you be??
Old 04-22-2013, 2:33 PM

I recently moved into Ripon. How should I go about applying for a LTC with the Ripon Police Department?
John 3:16
Old 04-24-2013, 2:24 PM

Default Ripon

You can go to Ripon PD. They have a pretty good reputation for issue. Do believe there is quite a long line though.
Old 05-21-2013, 2:22 PM

Unhappy

I heard Sheriff Moore has decided to run again for Sheriff. If he succeeds in getting re-elected we can count on 4 more years of no ltc's.
Old 05-21-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwilly51 View Post
I heard Sheriff Moore has decided to run again for Sheriff. If he succeeds in getting re-elected we can count on 4 more years of no ltc's.
Rally up the troops. We need to make a stand just a little over a year away for the midterms.
Old 05-27-2013, 9:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am in, I am moving to San Joaquin county in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 AM

As with any individual running for a public office, we don't know if the new candidate will issue also, so I emailed Sheriff Moore to clarify his stance. He basically did a little brush off and then stated he DOES issue CCWs. Has anyone in Stockton been successful at applying with the Chief?

What I wrote:
I'm a voting San Joaquin County resident from the City of
Stockton. Our crime rates are and has always been a major issue. The
city has done it's fair share with coordinated efforts from other LE
agencies, however the bad guys still plaque this city. I know you do
not favor a shall issue stance with CCW permits, as many many
responsible county residence has applied and been denied. With the
crime and status of the City seeing no foreseeable change, will your
stance change if reelected for your third term? Look at Sacramento
County since they have taken the change to a shall issue county.
Please consider changing your stance for the sake of the law abiding
gun owners who need to protect their families. As the saying goes
when seconds count the police are minutes away. Please allow us to
carry concealed. Thanks.

From Sheriff Moore

Unfortunately there is a lot of miss information floating around regarding
concealed carry permits, such as that only the Sheriff's Office can issue
permits. Pursuant to the penal code any Chiefs of Police in an incorporated
city are fully empowered to issue concealed carry permits to any city
resident. The law also allows either city or county residents to submit
concealed carry permit applications to the County Sheriffs Office if they
wish.

Additionally contrary to rumor, I do authorize concealed carry permits for
anyone who submits an application and meets the legal requirements for
having a concealed carry permit issued to them. According to the penal code
an applicant must be able to establish good character and good cause in
order for a concealed carry permit to be issued.

Once these two conditions have been established pursuant to the law, I do
issue concealed carry permits. Further pursuant to office policy the guide
for establishing good cause is based on the 1977 California Attorney
General's Opinion, No. CR. 77/30 I.L. on "Good Causes" (available on line).

I have expressed to all, that should they believe they have a need to carry
a concealed weapon and their individual situation meets the standard
identified in the law they may submit an application for a permit to this
office or the Chief of Police in their city of residence.

Thank You for your correspondence,

Steve Moore
Old 05-28-2013, 1:59 PM

I live in Stockton and I was told by the sheriffs office to apply with them because the police department doesn't issue them anymore. Now I read this statement by Sheriff Moore. More misinformation?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We need to vote Moore out in 2014. Otherwise it is no dice.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1978 View Post
I live in Stockton and I was told by the sheriffs office to apply with them because the police department doesn't issue them anymore. Now I read this statement by Sheriff Moore. More misinformation?
That's funny he said I was misinformed.
Old 05-31-2013, 6:13 PM

The (1977) Attorney General's Opinion on Good Causes
OPINION NO. CR. 77/30 I.L. 'the issuing authority must determine whether the threat to the applicant (or other causal situation) is as real as the applicant asserts (e.g., is there a clear and present danger to the applicant, his spouse, his family or his employees)? Finally, if the danger is manifest, the authority should determine whether that danger cannot be significantly alleviated by alternative means of security and whether in fact can be lawfully mitigated by the applicant's obtaining a concealed weapon license.'

This decision was rendered By Attorney General Evelle J. Younger, August 23, 1977.

By the time you can apply for one and even have a remote chance of being granted a CCW ( with Moore ) it is to late, there is already a clear and present danger ... and what happens if you, spouse, or family are attacked while waiting for your CCW ... guess that doesn't matter ...

Maybe Sheriff Moore shouldn't be allowed to carry, I doubt there is a clear and present danger to him ... and if there was he wouldn't have to wait to Carry Concealed.

Last edited by JasonB; 05-31-2013 at 6:25 PM..
Old 05-31-2013, 6:13 PM

so basically no one gets a CCW... how often does this apply to anyone... less than 1% if that ... and then you can just be told to hire security guards, like I was by Manteca PD
Old 06-04-2013, 12:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

CL&RR, I got the same response from him, identical. LOL
Old 06-05-2013, 3:26 PM

Has anybody tried to contact the Stockton PD about CCWs? I could never get through, the phone just rings and rings for the gun permit line.
Old 06-08-2013, 5:43 AM

I went through the SPD process and was denied. I can't go into details of my good cause statement, but I will say that even the captain processing it felt that it was more than sufficient cause.

So, I moved out of Stockton.
Old 06-20-2013, 7:56 AM

Default Pat Withrow

Sent a message to Pat Withrow on Tuesday that I would like to meet him. Got a phone call from him on Wed. that he was on his way home and in my area and could come by. Met with him for about an hour. This is the man we want for Sheriff. His view on issuing CCW’s will be a huge change from what we have now. More important are his plans on improving the Dept., and cracking down on rural crime. He is a cop, not a politician. He gave me the impression of being an honest, hard working man that wants to improve our county. He most definitely has my support.
Hope this helps some of you in making a decision in 2014. Get the word out. Vote for Pat Withrow.
Old 06-23-2013, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown57due View Post
Sent a message to Pat Withrow on Tuesday that I would like to meet him. Got a phone call from him on Wed. that he was on his way home and in my area and could come by. Met with him for about an hour. This is the man we want for Sheriff. His view on issuing CCW’s will be a huge change from what we have now. More important are his plans on improving the Dept., and cracking down on rural crime. He is a cop, not a politician. He gave me the impression of being an honest, hard working man that wants to improve our county. He most definitely has my support.
Hope this helps some of you in making a decision in 2014. Get the word out. Vote for Pat Withrow.
Hopefully he is not just saying this to get elected. At this point anyone is better than Moore.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Step One

Elect Withrow.

Even if Withrow isn't stong on no restriction Shall issue. He will be easier to work with on this single issue as well as others.

He will be a huge improvement to "I don't get mad, I get even" little Napoleon.
Old 07-08-2013, 7:13 AM

Can we get updated on this from Calguns personal. Where are we now.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, I am in San Joaquin now! Besides that, vote properly in 2014.
Old 07-11-2013, 2:27 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3of9 View Post
Can we get updated on this from Calguns personal. Where are we now.
As I understand it, and I want to say as a disclaimer that I have not talked to Brandon or any of the other CGF people for several months about this, we are waiting for the outcome of some court cases before we move forward. This very well may not be resolved before the 2014 election.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 07-18-2013, 9:09 AM

Here's one of my posts from back in 2011. It's hard to believe we've been going nowhere for over 2 years.

Old 07-19-2013, 9:10 AM

We need to elect Pat Withrow. He is a good man, a lawman, and not a politician or a pawn. My dad has some tickets to a tri tip and chili dinner fundraiser for him. Its Saturday august 10th at 6PM in Lodi, and there's raffle prizes. I think it'd be cool for at least a few people from calguns to show up and show their support. Its only $40 and it goes to getting a good man elected. I can scan some pictures of the flyers when I'm at my dads house later. If you're interested shoot me a PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM

http://www.withrowforsheriff.com/
Old 08-06-2013, 4:36 AM

Pat Withrow:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/308060311
Old 08-07-2013, 6:57 AM

I wrote to Pat Withrow about is position on LTC and here is his response.

"Thank you for your interest.
To answer your question my stance on CCW's is very different from our current Sheriff. It’s simple; I believe everyone should have equal access to a CCW. Also long as you have no history of mental issues and no criminal history which precludes you from carrying a firearm and you are physically able to use the firearm safely then there should be no reason why you should not be able to obtain a CCW. And yes I think personal protection is a good enough reason for a CCW. I hope this helps and if you have any further questions you can meet me in person this Saturday in Lodi at the Lowel center. We are having a Tri Tip and Chili dinner and I will be speaking and answering question. Info is on our web site at www.withrowforsheriff.com Thanks again."

Looks like we need to do all we can do help him get elected.
Old 08-26-2013, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, here is my story. I filled out my CCW papers 6 months ago. Still no word. Took them in and sat with a Lt. and paid the fees. Have just cause and good moral history. Moving into 7 months now and still no word. I look for a letter from Sheriff Moore each day... but still no word.

I have hunted and fished my entire life. Raised kids, all helpers and workers. All good weapon handlers too: Even my daughter who is a RN at St. Joe ER center in Stockton. I live in the county (surrounded by city here in north Stockton) and have seen crime change the face of my area and town. I work late and own my own business in SJC. We try not to go out after dark and are fearful when we do. I have been awarded a high citizen honor for saving a life in a fire and have never harmed anyone. However, our safety has now degraded to the point where we must protect ourselves. Crime reports and statistics given me by the San Joaquin County Sheriff Department prove my position.

These are real and factual reports and I am not willing to give up any more freedom from mobility any longer without at least a fighting chance to protect myself, my family, my neighbors and any citizen being violently victimized or preyed upon by thugs. I am the kind of guy you want if you or your loved ones are in danger.

Now, only behind Oakland, Stockton is the highest crime city in California. I continue to check my mail box (most always before dark) but to this point..... still no word.

Last edited by Rigidarm; 08-26-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
San Joaquin County CCW Policy, Good Cause statements, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

It's time to apply!

Please help us spread the word - we need everyone to apply using one of the similarly situated good cause statements found here.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download, complete and print the DOJ Standard Application here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...p_Fillable.pdf.
    a. Structure your good cause statement as either a) “I wish to acquire a firearm carry permit for the purpose of self-defense”, or b) if you have a good cause which approximates one from those we posted here, you can state the same good cause (as long as it’s truthful – it’s a crime to lie on the application).
    b. DO NOT SIGN the application; you will sign when you turn it in and SJSO will witness/countersign.
  2. Make two checks or money orders out to “San Joaquin Sheriff’s Office” in the amount of $19.00 and $120.00, respectively. (make sure to put the check numbers in the cover letter under “enclosures” and in the transmittal letter).
  3. Complete the missing information in the cover letter (attached), print, and sign.
  4. Complete the letter of transmittal (attached) and print 2 copies (one for you, one for them), making sure to date the top for the date of your appointment.
  5. Scan all documents.
  6. Contact Sgt. John Palmer and schedule a time to drop off your application and be fingerprinted.
  7. Drop off your cover letter, application, and check. Have Sgt. Palmer or another SJSO representative sign, print name, title and date your letter of transmittal and TAKE THIS COPY HOME.
    a. Point of information: their 90-day deadline clock starts on this date.
  8. Scan your signed letter of transmittal.
  9. Email me your scans.
  10. Keep me posted!

Attachment 76408
Attachment 76406
First two links are broken.....get a 404 Error (see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 404 Error.jpg (66.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by titan2; 08-26-2013 at 2:32 PM..