Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-12-2011, 3:22 PM

any updates? I'm going to move down to rialto to go to school at arrowhead regional medical center.
Old 04-13-2011, 6:52 AM

What are the renewal fees? How often?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 AM

I "think" that the renewal fee is $100 and the process/class is fairly painless AFAIK...but I'll verify and reply when I know more.

EDIT: (Here goes nothin')

1. You will receive a letter before your renewal date BUT you can't submit the required "questionnaire/application" until 60 days prior to your renewal date.

2. I "think" that the fees are in three (3) checks/MOs etc and the amounts are $52/$24/$25 but what they are for is unknown (at least to me at this time).

3. I "think" it would be a good idea to bring a copy of your initial "approved" application to help you remember dates etc. in case the short application asks. (I can't remember what I did yesterday)

4. I "think" that the "personal protection" is still a valid SBDo "good cause" statement. YMMVOC

Last edited by quikduk; 04-13-2011 at 10:36 AM..
Old 04-13-2011, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikduk View Post
2. I "think" that the fees are in three (3) checks/MOs etc and the amounts are $52/$24/$25 but what they are for is unknown (at least to me at this time).
The cost of renewal is $52.00 made out to Department of Justice, $24.00 made to SBSD for processing and $25.00 for the Safety Class, all in money orders.

Standard CCW renews every two years.
Old 04-23-2011, 9:16 AM

I was just looking at the SB County Local CCW Policy, Guidelines & Forms page and it looks to me like it changed because I no longer see the requirement for the three CCW references. I see the requirement for the four personal references is still there. Did something change or am I missing it.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...Bernardino.pdf

Also, if the standard DOJ application is what they are supposed to use why is their application so involved. Work history, residence history, traffic tickets, etc.

Meyer Auto Service - Hesperia, CA
Old 04-23-2011, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post
I was just looking at the SB County Local CCW Policy, Guidelines & Forms page and it looks to me like it changed because I no longer see the requirement for the three CCW references. I see the requirement for the four personal references is still there. Did something change or am I missing it.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/downloa...Bernardino.pdf

Also, if the standard DOJ application is what they are supposed to use why is their application so involved. Work history, residence history, traffic tickets, etc.
The character reference requirement is still there on page 2 of the CCW Application Instructions page.

I'm currently working on SBC with CGF.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 04-23-2011, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post
I no longer see the requirement for the three CCW references.
I don't recall there ever being a requirement for references from 3 others who hold a valid CCW. At least, that's not been the case since 2005 when I first looked into the requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 04-23-2011, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I don't recall there ever being a requirement for references from 3 others who hold a valid CCW. At least, that's not been the case since 2005 when I first looked into the requirements.
There's no requirement to have references from people who hold a CCW. I think he means references FOR a CCW.

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 05-17-2011, 2:40 PM

I finally got off my butt and provided some monetary support for all the hard work regarding San Bernardino County. Looking forward to hearing some good news soon...
Old 06-13-2011, 9:44 PM

-What do the letters on my behalf need to say?
-I have my references and printed the online PDF file. Where do I list my 4 references and what information do I need?
-What amount money order do I need when I drop off my application?
Old 06-23-2011, 9:05 PM
CGSSA Associate

Any idea when SBCounty will be listed as "time to apply"? Weeks (anything but "two weeks"!), months, years?
Old 06-23-2011, 9:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
Any idea when SBCounty will be listed as "time to apply"? Weeks (anything but "two weeks"!), months, years?
We're very close to working on the SB policy issues. Those who don't mind the hoops the SBSO have applicants jump through should feel free to apply now.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-23-2011, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We're very close to working on the SB policy issues. Those who don't mind the hoops the SBSO have applicants jump through should feel free to apply now.
Not yet.

Just got a new neighbor and he's currently in the category of "I don't want him to know that I own guns, much less am applying for CCW"

He's older and seems like a nice guy, but still has a bit of the "banger" look.

Thanks, but I'll wait until the hoops are cleared.

No, wait... we want to keep Hoops, at least he will issue for personal protection

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 06-23-2011, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
SBC is 'virtually' virtual shall issue so you have a fairly good chance of getting a CCW if you apply. HOWEVER, they do have a lot of illegal requirements. I am personally working on this matter with the CGF and I suggest you wait until I get in touch with them over these issues. Of course, if you don't mind the illegal requirements you could just apply now. Again though, I suggest you wait.

Old 06-23-2011, 9:32 PM

tagged

Meyer Auto Service - Hesperia, CA
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM

I don't like some of the goofy policies at SBSD, but I would say that if you want your CCW you should apply. Department is very CCW friendly, but has always had a bit of a maverick attitude towards the way it does things.

Kingsfan, the letters can be as simple as "I have known kingsfan for x number of years. I know him to be of good character. I know he is applying for a license to carry a concealed weapon. If you need to contact me, I may be reached at 909-867-5309

Signed kingsfan's friend"

The only application they will accept is the one they give you. They number them. On the cover sheet it will include the amounts of the money orders and who they should be made out to. Letter writers get a phone call, references get a half page questionnaire. References don't need to be anybody special, just not relatives.

Cokebottle, during the interview just mention that the one neighbor looks a bit sketchy and you are worried about them knowing you have any guns. I think the neighborhood check is unnecessary, and they don't always do them, but the stubborn streak in the SD is about a mile wide, who knows how long it will take to change the policy. I appreciate those trying to correct the wrongs here, but don't let those wrongs stop you from applying if you want your CCW.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
CGSSA Associate

If they'd not contact my employer, the rest I can deal with. HR people where I work are not gun friendly. I'm sure they'd freak out and I'd end up with much unwanted attention. I can wait a bit longer.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:52 AM

I understand that. My boss's boss had a bit of a tizzy about it until our HR department told him it was none of his business as long as I followed company policy. HR departments are about staying within the law. Generally they will give you the least guff about things.

Ultimately it is a personal decision, I wish the SD didn't feel it necessary to do that thorough of a background investigation, or at least keep the CCW angle out of it and just call it part of a routine background investigation.
Old 06-25-2011, 1:45 AM

As far as contacting employers, what about folks who are currently unemployed? Do they skip that, or is it something that will be frowned upon?
Old 06-25-2011, 2:47 AM
Veteran Member

What if I am the employer? unless they plan to call my employer like 6 years ago.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:16 AM

Unemployed/self employed/retired there would be nobody to contact.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauga View Post
Unemployed/self employed/retired there would be nobody to contact.
And old age too. I know someone who doesn't really have any contacts because they've passed away.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM

Another month.
Anything new, or anything for us to do?
Old 07-27-2011, 3:47 PM
CGSSA Associate

The wait is killing me! I thought SB County was going to be one of the first "time to apply" counties due to the reputation as one of the easier places to get a CCW.
Old 07-27-2011, 4:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The wait is killing me! I thought SB County was going to be one of the first "time to apply" counties due to the reputation as one of the easier places to get a CCW.
See this: http://calgunsfoundation.org/news/175-merced12050.html

Everything in its order.

SBCSO is moving up to the top quickly. Allow some time for this new lawsuit to circulate, as well as some other things we have working in the background, and we'll let everyone know next steps ASAP.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-27-2011, 6:34 PM

Quote:
I actually assumed that it would be further down the road.

While "low hanging fruit" is easier to pick, in the interests of expanding freedom to more residents of California, I would expect the "right denied" counties to be the first attacked.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2011, 8:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I actually assumed that it would be further down the road.

While "low hanging fruit" is easier to pick, in the interests of expanding freedom to more residents of California, I would expect the "right denied" counties to be the first attacked.
It's a little of both, and neither.

There are specific laws, facts, and conditions which inform the overall strategy. Also, can anyone really predict where we're going next, what we're doing, and why?

I didn't think so.

That works for us.

-Brandon

Old 07-27-2011, 9:11 PM

Quite true.

A little low hanging fruit to set a good precedent, then a serious attack.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Or as Gene says... "Chess, not checkers"

Quote:
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM
CGSSA Community Leader I.E.

I'm new to Calguns and have spent many hours reading posts and learning, maybe someone can pm me regarding the process and any possible things I can do before I apply for a CCW, Thanks for all the hard work done on this site!!
Old 08-18-2011, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
SBC is 'virtually' virtual shall issue so you have a fairly good chance of getting a CCW if you apply. HOWEVER, they do have a lot of illegal requirements. I am personally working on this matter with the CGF and I suggest you wait until I get in touch with them over these issues. Of course, if you don't mind the illegal requirements you could just apply now. Again though, I suggest you wait.
hey guys i am new here i have lived in sbc for a while now and have been wanting to get my ccw but i was sure how to go about it. i have learned alot from just reading info on this site so i say thank you.
now i have a question i have read where you say your working on making it easyier has anything changed yet? i will do more reading and probably be asking alot more question i hope no one minds. where is the best place to start in getting ready to get my ccw i am looking at going next month to do what ever paper work i need to do and anything else. ok now i need a link to the best place to start reading lol thank you everyone for your input
thanks
rob
Old 08-18-2011, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob474 View Post
hey guys i am new here i have lived in sbc for a while now and have been wanting to get my ccw but i was sure how to go about it. i have learned alot from just reading info on this site so i say thank you.
now i have a question i have read where you say your working on making it easyier has anything changed yet? i will do more reading and probably be asking alot more question i hope no one minds. where is the best place to start in getting ready to get my ccw i am looking at going next month to do what ever paper work i need to do and anything else. ok now i need a link to the best place to start reading lol thank you everyone for your input
thanks
rob
Howdy and welcome to the forums!

As of now there haven't been any changes to SBSD policies, but we're working on it.

You have two choices 1) you can apply now and go through all of their illegal requirements, or 2) you can wait until the policies change. And unfortunately there isn't an ETA on that.

IF you choose to just go ahead and apply I'd like you to contact me over PM because I'll have questions about their policies that I'd like to get confirmed.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2011, 8:43 PM

And don't forget... SBC needs more sponsors.
We're currently sitting on only FOUR individual sponsors for a total of $600... and $300 of that $600 was my contribution (and will likely be sending a similar contrib next spring).

We've got no vendor sponsors yet.

So while some counties are sitting on having met or exceeded their goals, we're not even close... at $600 of a total of $3600 needed.

So spread the word and let's get some people opening their wallets to actually do something to help further our goals.
Laws don't change themselves, and lawyers aren't cheap!

Quote:
Old 08-18-2011, 8:46 PM

BTW: The old "San Benardino" graphic has been corrected...

And I like the revised banner reflecting Gene's preferred method of referring to the license...

Quote:
Old 08-18-2011, 9:07 PM

did you want me to contact you if i do apply or before i apply? i will be making donations very soon i do feel this is a important cause.
plus thank you very much for the quick responce and friendly welcome
thank
rob
Old 08-18-2011, 9:12 PM

i will start letting people that i know are interested in this about this site and see if i can get them to contribute. anything i can do to help the cause
thank you
rob
Old 08-18-2011, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I just wish it was this EASY in LA county!!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 6:23 PM

Ok I want to apply for my permit in san bernardino county. I live in the sheriff jurisdiction so I will be applying at the headquarters.

here are my questions

What makes good cause

do they care about credit

I have a almost 3 year old speeding ticket that was paid not contested

I understand they talk to neighbors, what if I dont want the gangbangers 3 doors down to know im carrying a weapon

and they want to know contact with law enforcement...Ive been in security I do have a EXPOSED permit for work. I have made arrests but cant remember every time ive had contact with law enforcement.

Please give some input I want to know what the odds are before I throw money at this.

thank you

I wanted to try out my new glock pistol. But decided to try it out on something smaller. I shot a bunch of avocados and it was great. afterwards I gathered all the mess and made glockamole.
Old 08-21-2011, 7:39 PM

these are good question^^^^^^^^^^^^ i would be interested myself
now i live in rancho cucamonga does anyone know where i need to go to apply
thank you
rob
Old 08-21-2011, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21fan View Post
Ok I want to apply for my permit in san bernardino county. I live in the sheriff jurisdiction so I will be applying at the headquarters.

here are my questions

What makes good cause

do they care about credit

I have a almost 3 year old speeding ticket that was paid not contested

I understand they talk to neighbors, what if I dont want the gangbangers 3 doors down to know im carrying a weapon

and they want to know contact with law enforcement...Ive been in security I do have a EXPOSED permit for work. I have made arrests but cant remember every time ive had contact with law enforcement.

Please give some input I want to know what the odds are before I throw money at this.

thank you
1) Nothing specifically makes 'good cause.' The CS Penal Code only states '...to establish that good cause exists.' That's why we are 'may issue' which means it's up tot he Sheriff's discretion whether you have 'good cause' to carry a concealed handgun or not.

2) To the best of my knowledge they do not check financial history. Either on the state (CA DOJ) or county (Sheriff) level. Some Sheriffs might require it, but it's illegal for them to do so. SBC does not. Either way, a speeding ticket will not disqualify you.

3) SBSD requires three contacts to provide 'character references' in the form of letters and four contacts for them to call and ask questions about you. These are illegal requirements, but they still require them. I'm working directly with CGF on fixing this.

4) When they say 'contact with law enforcement' they want to know if you've been stopped, detained, arrested, questioned, etc. Working with LE doesn't fall under that. Example: I myself used to work for a LEA, but outside of work and prior to employment I never had contact with law enforcement. Get it?

5) Odds are good for San Bernardino in general. They typically take 'For self defense' as good cause. My prediction is that if you apply, you'll get the permit. The only thing is that they have a lot of illegal requirements. If you're willing to deal with that, then apply. If not, then wait until further notice in this thread.

If you have any other questions, send me a PM.

Old 08-21-2011, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob474 View Post
these are good question^^^^^^^^^^^^ i would be interested myself
now i live in rancho cucamonga does anyone know where i need to go to apply
thank you
rob
You apply to San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office.