Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-24-2011, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup99 View Post
The crappy part is that at&t risk management told me that it does not matter where I park my truck, I can't have my gun in my personal truck while I am on the clock. The risk management representative told me I should move to Florida if I want to keep my gun in my personal truck while at work.
How in the world are they going to enforce that? Do you use your personal truck on the job? Do they pay you mileage or something? If you park off company property they have no control at all over what is in you truck.

Old 04-25-2011, 9:16 PM

Legally they can't but that won't stop my work (local management) from trying to do it anyways. Luckily after talking to one of the Chief Special Agents (company investigator) he assured me that I can park on private property away from the building and be fine. His advice was to park in front of one of the car dealerships by my yard. Only thing that sucks is when I ride my bike I can't carry to work since I have nowhere to secure it during work.
Wildomar CA
951-757-9791
Online store
http://www.penningtonfa.com
Old 04-28-2011, 8:08 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Finally got my business license for this year (only took the city 4 months to get it to me), and some of the information is wrong. Since I am using my business as a reason for my CCW, I wanted to have everything good to go before I even tried.

Stupid city.
Old 04-28-2011, 9:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup99 View Post
Legally they can't but that won't stop my work (local management) from trying to do it anyways. Luckily after talking to one of the Chief Special Agents (company investigator) he assured me that I can park on private property away from the building and be fine. His advice was to park in front of one of the car dealerships by my yard. Only thing that sucks is when I ride my bike I can't carry to work since I have nowhere to secure it during work.
Your work hates mother earth and wants to force you to drive your oil-burning savage of a car. Did I read into that too much?
Old 04-29-2011, 8:44 PM

I am working on filling in CCW application form and will submit to Riverside Sherriff when ready. I spoke with Sgt John Whiting in legal/administration department and was told that the penal code 12051(a)(3)(c) was interpreted allowing Dept to request 3 personal references. They are still requesting for 3 personal references which I consider an illegal requirement under 12051(a)(3)(c) of the California Penal Code.

Quote:
12051(a)(3)(C) of the California Penal Code states, "An applicant shall not be required to complete any additional application or form for a license, or to provide any information other than that necessary to complete the standard application form described in subparagraph (A), except to clarify or interpret information provided by the applicant on the standard application form
It is pretty clear to me as an ordinary person they are not allowed to request other additional documentation.

You won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There’s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you don’t actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time… It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience.”

President Reagan

Last edited by Bargearse; 05-06-2011 at 3:15 PM..
Old 05-16-2011, 6:42 PM

Over $300 for a two year CCW? I guess CCW's are for those that can afford it and the rest are left to illegal carry. I never knew that you had to pay to exercise a right. The cost is extremely high compared to $25 in Washington state. How do they justify this? Why do they not exempt combat vets from the qualification requirement? Do you need to re-qualify every 2 years on the range? I was denied a CCW after spending over $200 up in Contra Costa county. The reason? My good cause was not good enough: Family/Personal protection. That was six years ago and I am pursuing it again after my wife was robbed and almost raped in a public bathroom in Monterey while on vacation. We moved to Corona from Pleasant Hill and are surrounded by schools making UOC impractical.
Old 05-23-2011, 5:55 AM

any news regarding riverside county ccw's......any chance non leo's or business owners can obtain a ccw...
Old 05-24-2011, 4:45 PM

Response received via email from Riverside County Sheriff Department on 3 personal reference letters.

Anyone out there help me with writing a rebuttal response via email to RSD?

John//

Dear BargeArse,

Thanks you for your email of interest into our CCW program. Below are the responses to your concerns regarding the requirement of three reference letters.

1. As stated in PC section 12051(a)(3)(C) in regards to completing additional information, “except to clarify or interpret information provided by the applicant on the standard application form.”

The reference letters are a way for us to clarify information provided by applicants.

2. Per the instructions for completing the DOJ Standard Application (approved per PC section 12051(a)(3)(A)), it states, “Each licensing authority, in addition to using the state standard application form, will have a written policy summarizing what they require pursuant to PC section 12050(a)(1)(A) and (B). Prior to issuing a CCW, the statutes require proof that:
· The applicant is of good moral character,
· Good cause exists to issue the CCW license,
· The applicant meets residence requirements, and
· The course of training prescribed by the licensing authority has been completed”

The reference letters are a tool to assist us in determining the applicant is of good moral character.

3. The DOJ Standard Application also states, “The Licensee authorizes the licensing agency to investigate, as they deem necessary, the licensee’s record and character to ascertain any and all information which may concern his/her qualifications and justification to be issued a license to carry a concealed weapon and release said agency of any and all liability arising out of such investigation”

Again, we feel the reference letters are a practical means of establishing the good moral character of the applicant(s) as stated in PC section 12050(a)(1)(A) and (B).

I hope this satisfactorily addresses your concerns. Feel free to contact me for any other matters I may be able to assist you with.

Thank you,

Robert G. Peebles, Lieutenant
Riverside County Sheriff's Department
Sheriff's Administration

You won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There’s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you don’t actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time… It’s a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience.”

President Reagan
Old 06-01-2011, 2:14 PM

i was told the new sheriff is pretty strict regarding "good cause"
Old 07-04-2011, 4:21 PM

Is it time to apply for riverside? If it is can we use personal protection as good cause?
Old 07-04-2011, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynles View Post
Got a response from the Sheriff today....DENIED.

Good cause was "I wish to carry a handgun for the purpose of self defense, specifically from animal predators such as coyotes and mountain lions"

I knew it was a gamble going into it........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsul View Post
Is it time to apply for riverside? If it is can we use personal protection as good cause?
You can try. It didn't work so well for me........

Old 07-05-2011, 8:05 AM

Quote:
You can try. It didn't work so well for me........
Yeah, but you knew your GC was a gamble going in, remember? Were you truly trying to get a permit, or were you testing for passable GC? I know my words are harsh, but your GC was pretty lousy, IMO. I do believe everyone should have the right to carry, but the game is what it is for now. You have to play by the rules if you expect to get anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsul View Post
Yes, it is a very good time for Riverside County. No, you cannot just write "personal protection" for your GC. You need to articulate what you are protecting yourself from, and what makes you at greater risk than the average person.

However, I see your location says you are only in Riverside "sometimes". You have to apply where you mainly reside.
Old 07-05-2011, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawaia View Post
Yeah, but you knew your GC was a gamble going in, remember? Were you truly trying to get a permit, or were you testing for passable GC? I know my words are harsh, but your GC was pretty lousy, IMO. I do believe everyone should have the right to carry, but the game is what it is for now. You have to play by the rules if you expect to get anywhere.
My good cause was vetted by some of the "right people" here prior to submitting it. I did my homework and I know that permits were issued to some with a very, very similar good cause to what I put on my application.

I believe that my "problem" was that I would not fill out and submit the additional (illegal) application form, the one that has questions like "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?", "When was the last time you lost control of your temper?", or "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?"

Last edited by cindynles; 07-05-2011 at 9:13 AM..
Old 07-05-2011, 9:26 AM

Quote:
My good cause was vetted by some of the "right people" here prior to submitting it. I did my homework and I know that permits were issued to some with a very, very similar good cause to what I put on my application.

I believe that my "problem" was that I would not fill out and submit the additional (illegal) application form, the one that has questions like "Are there other crimes you have committed, for which you have not been caught?", "When was the last time you lost control of your temper?", or "Is there anything in your background that you are trying to conceal?"
My apologies. I didn't realize you had been "vetted" and done your homework prior to submitting. I just couldn't imagine that protection from wild animals would be seen by the SO as a positive reason to issue. If others have in fact been issued for that reason, then I am wrong.

I did fill out the additional application form, as I would rather be issued and let others fight for the illegality of the form. None of the questions asked in that form were offensive to me. If your intention was to fight the use of that form, then I commend you.

Personally, I would have liked to see you appeal your case.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
My apologies. I didn't realize you had been "vetted" and done your homework prior to submitting. I just couldn't imagine that protection from wild animals would be seen by the SO as a positive reason to issue. If others have in fact been issued for that reason, then I am wrong.

I did fill out the additional application form, as I would rather be issued and let others fight for the illegality of the form. None of the questions asked in that form were offensive to me. If your intention was to fight the use of that form, then I commend you.

Personally, I would have liked to see you appeal your case.
It's in the works........

Old 07-11-2011, 9:30 PM

Location: Moreno Valley Province, Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Whats the latest RC CCW update? Last time I checked someone from CG was working with the Sheriff on personal protection as good cause. Anything new? Or do you still have to be in some type of higher risk business. I work the 9-5 routine but still come across all the get out of jail early bums when I am out with the fam bam. Would that qualify for good cause? NEED HELP!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 PM

I keep crafting and crafting but have not come up with anything I feel really confident about myself...Actually I do feel confident about the need just not my articulation of that need. I keep hoping the Riverside “Good Cause” file will be released soon and I can compare my situation to others.
Old 08-01-2011, 1:49 PM

any updates yet?
Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 AM

bttt
Old 09-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Well, I've filled out the paperwork. I suppose I can get those letters, but I don't want to spend the $$$ unless I know a) I'll get the ltc, or b) I'll help CG by providing 'another case to throw on the pile'.
I'm retired and weary of unloaded open carry and GFSZs. I wouldn't mind LOC.
Hey, it's payday! I gotta make up my mind quick before the money disappears.
Thanks in advance folks.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Keagy View Post
Well, I've filled out the paperwork. I suppose I can get those letters, but I don't want to spend the $$$ unless I know a) I'll get the ltc, or b) I'll help CG by providing 'another case to throw on the pile'.
I'm retired and weary of unloaded open carry and GFSZs. I wouldn't mind LOC.
Hey, it's payday! I gotta make up my mind quick before the money disappears.
Thanks in advance folks.
You won't know until you try! Have you had anyone review your GC?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:41 PM

I only have a two-word GC; self-protection.
I can elaborate, alot. Never thought to have it reviewed.
What do you suggest I do at this point?
Thank you.
Old 09-01-2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Keagy View Post
I only have a two-word GC; self-protection.
I can elaborate, alot. Never thought to have it reviewed.
What do you suggest I do at this point?
Thank you.
Sorry, but that ain't gonna cut the mustard in RivCo. Yes, you need to elaborate......alot. List every thing in your everyday life that may put you at greater risk than the average person. I had mine reviewed by others several times to refine it, and it took me quite a while to get it where I wanted.
Old 09-07-2011, 7:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Long time lurker,

I am 3 weeks into waiting for my CCW form Riverside County.

They were very nice to me there and actually called me and had me revise my GC because although THEY knew what I did for a living and WHY I wanted a CCW...they didn't feel I expressed it correctly in my GC. So they asked me to revise it a bit.
I felt that was very decent of them.....

So I am 3 week in from handing it in originally, and 1 week from when I sent them the revised GC. I can only assume they didn't send it in to admin until the got the new GC.

Everytime the phone rings I jump....lol

I just wonder...do I get a call or a letter? Is the approval a letter or a call?

I know a denial is a letter, got one from Indio PD.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 9:22 PM

Is being in the military a good cause?

Just think about it, we are on a vehicle with a DOD decal that you must have. We have only a few routes to get to base, most of the time we are in uniform going to and from work. And look at us, we almost have the same haircut....
Old 09-08-2011, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtt255 View Post
Long time lurker,

I am 3 weeks into waiting for my CCW form Riverside County.

They were very nice to me there and actually called me and had me revise my GC because although THEY knew what I did for a living and WHY I wanted a CCW...they didn't feel I expressed it correctly in my GC. So they asked me to revise it a bit.
I felt that was very decent of them.....

So I am 3 week in from handing it in originally, and 1 week from when I sent them the revised GC. I can only assume they didn't send it in to admin until the got the new GC.

Everytime the phone rings I jump....lol

I just wonder...do I get a call or a letter? Is the approval a letter or a call?

I know a denial is a letter, got one from Indio PD.

Thanks!
I think you are about a month away from now. They seem to be backed up a little at the LT's desk. They usually will call you and then you have to go in and sign for it.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
http://www.murrietatactical.com
Old 09-08-2011, 7:32 AM

Dtt255,

Like SDI said, you should receive a phone call as soon as the decision is made. However, I think one month is being a bit too optimistic. You are probably only one week in admin, since you had to revise your GC. (BTW, the RCSO CCW guys are the best at offering advice and help!) I would guess that you are looking at 2 more months of waiting. Look at it this way, if you expect it to take 2 months, and it only takes 1 you will be stoked. The other way around makes for an agonizing wait. It's hard, but you will make it there.
Old 09-08-2011, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysponger View Post
Is being in the military a good cause?

Just think about it, we are on a vehicle with a DOD decal that you must have. We have only a few routes to get to base, most of the time we are in uniform going to and from work. And look at us, we almost have the same haircut....
I don't know for certain, but my initial thought is that by itself it would not get you very far. However, I am certain that you could come up with other areas in your every day life that would get you an LTC. Put some thought into what other things you have/do that would put you at greater risk than the average Joe. Then start writing your GC from there.

Hopefully, we won't have to jump through these hoops for much longer!
Old 09-08-2011, 7:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDI View Post
I think you are about a month away from now. They seem to be backed up a little at the LT's desk. They usually will call you and then you have to go in and sign for it.
Quote:
Dtt255,

Like SDI said, you should receive a phone call as soon as the decision is made. However, I think one month is being a bit too optimistic. You are probably only one week in admin, since you had to revise your GC. (BTW, the RCSO CCW guys are the best at offering advice and help!) I would guess that you are looking at 2 more months of waiting. Look at it this way, if you expect it to take 2 months, and it only takes 1 you will be stoked. The other way around makes for an agonizing wait. It's hard, but you will make it there.
I appreciate the advice. I pretty much going for....whenever I get it....is the right amount of time. Now I know they have 90 days to approve or deny, so I am 'assuming' it will get done either way in that amount of time.

I only went with the 2-4 weeks time frame AFTER given to admin that I got from the deputy at the ccw dept.

I waiting almost 6-8 months for a denial from my local PD....so I am used to waiting just don't like it.

The people over at calccw.com have been very helpful with everything also. (sorry about the plug but I think they deserve it)

Last edited by Dtt255; 09-08-2011 at 8:06 AM..
Old 09-08-2011, 8:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess I was hoping I would get a call saying: "Hey your are approved....the permit will be here in a week or so" That way I would have an idea...but I do realize that they are not working on my schedule. lol

hehehhe

Last edited by Dtt255; 09-08-2011 at 8:43 AM..
Old 09-08-2011, 2:38 PM

Quick question. Iirc when I applied. You needed to renew every two years. You also needed to qualify annually. I have been reading the newly revised application and do not see anywhere that you need to qualify annually. Dose anyone know for sure what to do. I am coming up on the 1 year anniversary of getting my permit and it's really nagging at me that I thought I needed to do something at this point. I'm asking here before I call the LTC unit and ask a question that is obvious. Even though I don't see anything in the application. I didn't even see the renewal after two years, just know that mine expires in oct 2012.
Old 09-08-2011, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallic68 View Post
Quick question. Iirc when I applied. You needed to renew every two years. You also needed to qualify annually. I have been reading the newly revised application and do not see anywhere that you need to qualify annually. Dose anyone know for sure what to do. I am coming up on the 1 year anniversary of getting my permit and it's really nagging at me that I thought I needed to do something at this point. I'm asking here before I call the LTC unit and ask a question that is obvious. Even though I don't see anything in the application. I didn't even see the renewal after two years, just know that mine expires in oct 2012.
Qualification is now every 2 years just like the license.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 09-08-2011, 3:08 PM

Thank you. I swore it was annually when I applied. Must have changed it when they changed the renewal procedure.
Old 09-08-2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallic68 View Post
Thank you. I swore it was annually when I applied. Must have changed it when they changed the renewal procedure.
You're correct, it did used to be every year.

NRA Certified Instructor
Old 09-09-2011, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

Once upon a time, you literally walked in, and so long as nobody recognized you in a negative manner, and you had the right skin color, you walked out with your permit same day. Funny how computers and such have slowed that down... Anyway, I have no idea what the wait time is, but so long as it is plantation politics, I'd expect to wait a while.

As for military, don't count on that meaning anything whatsoever. You are probably a domestic terrorist anyway for all they know . From everything I've seen and heard, the ONLY reasons CCW's in RC are issued is for high risk business reasons or in conjunction with restraining orders. Otherwise, your PRIVILEGE to defend yourself will not be extended by the sheriff.
Old 09-09-2011, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
Once upon a time, you literally walked in, and so long as nobody recognized you in a negative manner, and you had the right skin color, you walked out with your permit same day. Funny how computers and such have slowed that down... Anyway, I have no idea what the wait time is, but so long as it is plantation politics, I'd expect to wait a while.

As for military, don't count on that meaning anything whatsoever. You are probably a domestic terrorist anyway for all they know . From everything I've seen and heard, the ONLY reasons CCW's in RC are issued is for high risk business reasons or in conjunction with restraining orders. Otherwise, your PRIVILEGE to defend yourself will not be extended by the sheriff.
And you would be wrong.

Last edited by lawaia; 09-09-2011 at 10:52 AM..
Old 09-15-2011, 6:01 PM

Wrong. Mine had nothing to do with anything high risk, restraining orders, police reports, beatings or anything of a sort.

And my wait time was approx 3 months.
Old 09-16-2011, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And you would be wrong.
Enlighten me then, because I've seen a number of successful CCW, and a number of denials. All the successful CCWs were business related, and the denials were general self defense related.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
Enlighten me then, because I've seen a number of successful CCW, and a number of denials. All the successful CCWs were business related, and the denials were general self defense related.
When you say you've "seen" them, what exactly do you mean? Have you seen the GC statements? Have you spoken with the applicants or RCSO? How long ago were these applications submitted?

The RCSO CCW Unit is making great strides in issuing to regular folks. They have attended at least one shooting function (for normal people) promoting CCW for the County. Why would they do this if they had no intention of issuing? The deputies in that department have helped many people through the process, even advising them on GC statements. Why would they do that if they had no intention of issuing?

The fact is, no you cannot simply write "personal protection" for your GC and get approved..............yet. You will still have to jump through some hoops. Hopefully this will be changing..............soon. You will still have to give them a substantive reason to issue. This does not, however, mean that you have to be a businessman or have a restraining order or have proof of violence against you or donate to a campaign fund or be famous/wealthy or carry around jewels/cash or....................

My impression for RivCo is that is is possible for a regular guy to get an LTC, with some effort exerted in the process.

I started the following thread to get some real feedback from those that have recently gone through the process. Hopefully we get more data so that people will realize that applying really isn't that scary or impossible.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=477159

Last edited by lawaia; 09-16-2011 at 10:33 AM..
Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When you say you've "seen" them, what exactly do you mean? Have you seen the GC statements? Have you spoken with the applicants or RCSO? How long ago were these applications submitted?

The RCSO CCW Unit is making great strides in issuing to regular folks. They have attended at least one shooting function (for normal people) promoting CCW for the County. Why would they do this if they had no intention of issuing? The deputies in that department have helped many people through the process, even advising them on GC statements. Why would they do that if they had no intention of issuing?

The fact is, no you cannot simply write "personal protection" for your GC and get approved..............yet. You will still have to jump through some hoops. Hopefully this will be changing..............soon. You will still have to give them a substantive reason to issue. This does not, however, mean that you have to be a businessman or have a restraining order or have proof of violence against you or donate to a campaign fund or be famous/wealthy or carry around jewels/cash or....................

My impression for RivCo is that is is possible for a regular guy to get an LTC, with some effort exerted in the process.

I started the following thread to get some real feedback from those that have recently gone through the process. Hopefully we get more data so that people will realize that applying really isn't that scary or impossible.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=477159
There is at least one rejection posted on this thread alone. If I'm wrong, nobody will be happier than I, but I'm not seeing it.

You say PP is no go, but that it doesn't need be buisness, or based on past incidences. Where is the middle ground between the two. I've looked and I've found absolutely zero indication that an average guy that works a 9-5 and doesn't have any special circumstances can get a CCW in riverside county.