Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 PM

I assume this suit is awaiting a decision in the Peruta case, correct?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."-Lord Acton
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_D View Post
I assume this suit is awaiting a decision in the Peruta case, correct?
No, this case is completely unrelated to the federal court cases. This one is in state court and seeks to force the sheriff to conform to state law.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM

Yes, I know...but a favorable ruling in the Peruta case would go a long way to *forcing* compliance. SAF and CGF would be able to point to the Peruta ruling, as well as Moore v Madigan in addition to D.C. v Heller rulings re: where a right to self-defense exists, while also saying "Look, 9th Circuit already ruled that you have to tell people what your policy is, just like the Yolo County Sheriff has to" (if, in fact, the ruling came back favorably).
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThiZZ View Post
Has anyone here been approved? This pisses me off because I live in Delhi and its really gone to ****. Also I work in Turlock and almost all my co workers have their CCW in Stan County.
I know how you feel. My parents live in Delhi and had at least 5 shootings across the street from them. I don't go anymore without protection.
Old 12-31-2012, 4:35 PM

I was attacked by 2 pitbulls last Sat. morning at 6 am as I opened my front door. Lucky I had turned on my front porch light before I went out. Shot the 1st one 3 ft from me and the second on about 30 ft away. I live in the county.
The Animal contro.l officer said that he was turned down by Pazin. WTF?

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 01-02-2013, 8:18 PM

I was all set to apply.... but.... Looks like it might be good to wait for some news?
Old 01-02-2013, 8:30 PM

That's what I am doing right now as well...just waiting to see how the Richards decision comes down, and what changes it might force.

Gene or Brandon, do you have any input on this?
Old 01-08-2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keneva View Post
I was attacked by 2 pitbulls last Sat. morning at 6 am as I opened my front door. Lucky I had turned on my front porch light before I went out. Shot the 1st one 3 ft from me and the second on about 30 ft away. I live in the county.
The Animal contro.l officer said that he was turned down by Pazin. WTF?
Heck, wasn't uncommon a couple years ago for reserve deputies to get turned down, even after being there for a year, two, or more at nearly full-time hours and responsibility.
And of course, the SO's policy isn't in line with HR218, even with the CA AG's opinion thereon, so they're SOL unless they want to risk termination and prosecution.

But the BS that Pazin is pulling on all fronts has to stop.
Old 01-08-2013, 7:23 PM

The good 'ole boy network bureaucratic state will impose its will upon whomever it wishes...
Old 01-08-2013, 8:09 PM

I forgot to add that I have no current knowledge of how business goes at the SO anymore. Last time I was in touch was about 2 years ago, maybe a little longer.
But from comments here and around town, doesn't seem like much has changed in the interim.
Old 01-08-2013, 8:15 PM

Average Joe applies, average Joe jumps through hoops, average Joe gets denied. That's more or less the process with MCSO. Doesn't matter who you are, unless you're one of the good 'ole boys, or a cop, you're probably going to get denied.
Old 01-08-2013, 8:27 PM

That's why I mentioned the reserve thing. Apparently the Sheriff doesn't even trust some of his own cops with guns...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC'sBobcat View Post
That's why I mentioned the reserve thing. Apparently the Sheriff doesn't even trust some of his own cops with guns...
Or his correctional officers.
Old 01-10-2013, 6:43 AM

Good morning all. I have been keeping an eye on this forum for over a year now, wanting to get a CCW. I finally got a conceal type gun and would like to apply. I have a few friends that have been successful in getting there Merced County CCW. One is a Realtor and one is a representative for a hunting outfitter that sells duck hunting accessories.

Should I wait for some new news or should I move forward and turn in my packet.

Last edited by twotone64; 01-10-2013 at 6:56 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone64 View Post
Good morning all. I have been keeping an eye on this forum for over a year now, wanting to get a CCW. I finally got a conceal type gun and would like to apply. I have a few friends that have been successful in getting there Merced County CCW. One is a Realtor and one is a representative for a hunting outfitter that sells duck hunting accessories.

Should I wait for some new news or should I move forward and turn in my packet.
You should probably wait for the Supreme Court to rule on the right to bear arms before applying. This may happen as soon as June 2014.
Old 01-10-2013, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker0429 View Post
You should probably wait for the Supreme Court to rule on the right to bear arms before applying. This may happen as soon as June 2014.
I hope the 9th Circuit fixes it sooner than that..
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM

A friend recently told me that she had heard that CCWs were being issued a bit more regularly in Merced County of late. Of course, that information and a $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee at McDonald's, but I'm just wondering if anyone else had heard anything?

Any Mods have input or feedback about what is going on with Merced County, if anything?
Old 01-14-2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Any Mods have input or feedback about what is going on with Merced County, if anything?
I'm not a Mod but if you want a Merced County-issued CCW, go ahead and apply. It only costs $10 bucks to get the process rolling. Fill out an application and craft a coherent self-defense based good cause statement and you might be surprised at the outcome. Not trying to goad anyone here into wasting $10 but despite what you may have heard, the SO does in fact issue CCW to ordinary citizens.

After initial review of your application and good cause to support issuance, they will let you know by letter either "approved" or "denied." And make no mistake about it, they don't call it an "interview" but when you arrive for your first appointment to turn in your application, you are being "interviewed." My experience with the system leads me to believe that Sheriff Pazin issues based on his staff's recommendation as well as the content of your application and DOJ past criminal history report.

The SO won't make you take the training class and pay all the DOJ and local processing fees unless they are going to issue a license based on their initial review of your application. The initial review process is what costs $10 so cost alone shouldn't be a deterring factor on whether or not to apply. Of course, if you have issues in your background, then yes, you might pay DOJ fees and be denied later in the process based on past disqualifying criminal history.

Here are the procedures on obtaining a Concealed Weapons Permit.
Here is the Application.
Here is the Fee Schedule.
Here is the Sheriff's Office CCW Policy.
The CCW Division's phone number is (209) 385-7559. Josette Torres is the CCW Coordinator. Call Ms. Torres to set up your initial interview and to submit your application packet and pay the initial $10 processing fee.
Old 01-14-2013, 5:19 PM

Thanks for the links
Old 01-28-2013, 8:46 PM

Default Minor Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Yes, but nothing we can report on yet. 2 weeks months. Seriously.

-Brandon
FTFY
Old 01-30-2013, 3:57 PM

2 more friends denied the CCW/LTC permit.

"The investigation of your request for a concealed wepons license is a privilege and not a right. The qualification standards for such a license are very high. After cinsiderable review, you do not meet the crteria for approval.

Specifically, you have not demonstrated sufficient justification or provided sufficient documentation in support of your good cause statement. While your concerns are valid and not being minimized by staff, a simple or speculative fear for one's safety is not an adequate reason to carry a concealed weapon. You also have the right to consider other alternatives for pwrsonal protection for the situations you describe and we encourge you to explore these or change specific situations that will not put you at risk.

Therefore, based on the lack of good cause, your request is denied." WTH? A privalege and not a right? Unbelievable

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 01-30-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:

"The investigation of your request for a concealed wepons license is a privilege and not a right. The qualification standards for such a license are very high. After cinsiderable review, you do not meet the crteria for approval.

Specifically, you have not demonstrated sufficient justification or provided sufficient documentation in support of your good cause statement. While your concerns are valid and not being minimized by staff, a simple or speculative fear for one's safety is not an adequate reason to carry a concealed weapon. You also have the right to consider other alternatives for pwrsonal protection for the situations you describe and we encourge you to explore these or change specific situations that will not put you at risk.

Therefore, based on the lack of good cause, your request is denied." WTH? A privalege and not a right? Unbelievable
And now you know why I haven't applied yet. Sure, it's only $10. But that's $10 that I can kiss goodbye as soon as my application walks in the front door, because I know razin Pazin's never gonna grant it. It'd be a more honest transaction to just buy a homeless guy 2 or 3 beers.
Old 02-01-2013, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Hi Kent: Without knowing what their submitted Good Cause was, one can only speculate why they were denied. Even with consideration of the pending lawsuit, Good Cause isn't challenged. So in that regard, nothing is going to change if the lawsuit ever gets settled.

I have no idea what criteria the SO uses to accept or deny applications based on Good Cause. Sounds like your 2 friends were denied on insufficient Cause after citing "fear" as the primary factor of their justification. While that's good enough in most people's opinion, including mine, clearly the SO wants a more substantive reason to issue.

This is just an observation but I think the SO may follow fairly closely the 1977 Attorney General Opinion on what constitutes Good Cause:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The (1977) OPINION NO. CR. 77/30 I.L.
'the issuing authority must determine whether the threat to the applicant (or other causal situation) is as real as the applicant asserts (e.g., is there a clear and present danger to the applicant, his spouse, his family or his employees)? Finally, if the danger is manifest, the authority should determine whether that danger cannot be significantly alleviated by alternative means of security and whether in fact can be lawfully mitigated by the applicant's obtaining a concealed weapon license.'

This decision was rendered By Attorney General Evelle J. Younger, August 23, 1977.
So when drafting a Good Cause statement, use the above Opinion as a guide to present your self-defense-based case. This county obviously wants more justification than fear alone so approach it at that angle...
Old 02-01-2013, 4:30 PM

I've heard that if you are a Clamper, in the "right" chapter, you'll not be denied...
Old 02-01-2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
I've heard that if you are a Clamper, in the "right" chapter, you'll not be denied...
Really? What chapter? I have several buddies who are Clampers and they have been wanting me to join.
Old 02-15-2013, 9:45 PM

Got my application filled out, working on crafting a good cause statement worthy of a stamp of approval.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Got my application filled out, working on crafting a good cause statement worthy of a stamp of approval.
Good luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham7897 View Post
Good luck.
Yeah, ditto to this. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 PM

"Roger. WILCO."
Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 PM

Other counties in california deny permits more los angeles county has less permits in place than san joaquin county has. Some of the counties that issued a lot of permits are pulling them back as people with guns make bad decisons perfect example madera county guy had a ccw permit branished his gun at CHP Officer. Most people don't have a good reason to have a permit age and record play a big part too
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
Other counties in california deny permits more los angeles county has less permits in place than san joaquin county has. Some of the counties that issued a lot of permits are pulling them back as people with guns make bad decisons perfect example madera county guy had a ccw permit branished his gun at CHP Officer. Most people don't have a good reason to have a permit age and record play a big part too
I get you position. But as Calgunners, NRA and SAF, FPC supporters, isn't it our position that NO ONE should have to justify their NEED for a permit? The 2A is our carry permit, IMHO.

But I get your bigger point.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Wow. Called to set up an appointment with Josette, call went to voice mail. She tried to return the call an hour later, I missed it. Called back an hour after that, connected with her and scheduled my CCW appointment for 2/27 @ 11. I was pleasantly suprised to get in so soon.

Last edited by Ryan_D; 02-22-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 12:21 PM

P.S. to anyone that's interested, current Merced County CCW policy specifically limits the number of weapons permitted to be carried concealed to 3

"218.3.3.2 WEAPONS INSPECTION
The Sheriff may require that an applicant submit any weapon to be considered for licensing purposes to the department’s Rangemaster for a safety inspection. The Sheriff reserves the right to deny a license for any weapon that is illegal or that the Sherriff deems unsafe, which shall not include any firearm that may lawfully be possessed or transferred under California’s Unsafe Handgun Act (Penal Code 31900 et seq.).

The illegal or unsafe alteration of any previously approved weapon including, but not limited to adjusting trigger pull, adding laser sights or modifications shall require resubmission of the weapon to be considered for licensing purposes to the department’s Rangemaster for a safety inspection.

A maximum of three weapons may be listed on the concealed weapon permit."

Link: http://www.co.merced.ca.us/documents...W%20POLICY.PDF
Old 02-25-2013, 9:27 AM

People that are in know, has there been any movement on this case since the Prieto arguments, or is this case pending the decision in the Prieto case?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 PM

Just dropped off my application to Josette this morning...she was very nice, told me it would be about 3 months to get an approval or denial letter.
Old 02-27-2013, 5:22 PM

Awesome to know! My appointment is this Friday. Good luck man!
Old 02-27-2013, 5:27 PM

Same to you! Just a reminder that the street parking in front of the S.O. doesn't exist anymore. It's been a while since I've been there and I didn't know. Plus, the street stripes had been painted over, but it was pretty faded, so hard to tell.
Old 02-27-2013, 5:35 PM

Best parking, probably, will be either down the street (towards R on 22nd) or in the parking lot adjacent to the jail sally-port and the library--just beware of the time-limited spots and "Library Permit Required" spots. I got dinged there once or twice when my job took me to either the SO or the old courthouse complex.

Good luck, guys.
Old 03-01-2013, 5:04 PM

Met with josette today. She said what we all already knew, that pazin is very conservative with granting approval. Crossing fingers.
Old 03-01-2013, 5:06 PM

She didn't say any such thing to me...maybe she likes me better?

Just kiddin