Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-17-2012, 1:50 PM

Any new developments?
Old 02-17-2012, 2:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
Any new developments?
The case is in discovery. We will post an update when there is one.

ETA: I think it's reasonable to say that we're a month or two away from the next real update.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by wildhawker; 02-17-2012 at 2:33 PM..
Old 02-17-2012, 2:30 PM

How long can discovery last?
Old 02-17-2012, 2:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham7897 View Post
How long can discovery last?
You beat me to this (I've since edited my last post) but in this case I don't think discovery will take much more than 60-90 days.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-17-2012, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
You beat me to this (I've since edited my last post) but in this case I don't think discovery will take much more than 60-90 days.

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon.
Old 02-20-2012, 8:46 AM

Saw this interesting article in the LA Times today:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4684092.story

"By Carol J. Williams, Los Angeles Times
February 20, 2012
Chuck Michel's strategy for crime-fighting rests on the element of surprise: Keep the bad guys guessing who's armed and who's not.

"If 5% of the ducks could shoot back, you're not going to go duck hunting," said the Long Beach lawyer representing many Californians denied concealed weapons permits and, in his view, their constitutional right to self-defense.

For decades, that argument has fallen flat in the courtroom. Judges have routinely held that denying permits to carry loaded firearms in public does not infringe on gun owners' right to keep and bear arms.

But now, some gun owners hope that courts will soon reverse course and find that they have a right to secretly tote their weapons in public. Ironically, their optimism stems from a piece of gun control legislation that took effect last month and bans them from openly carrying even unloaded handguns.

Courts have upheld local law enforcement officials' authority to deny concealed weapons permits in part because "you had the opportunity to openly carry an unloaded weapon and in the event of an emergency you can quickly load and defend yourself," said Adam Winkler, a UCLA law professor and author of "Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America." "Now that option has been taken off the table."

..... more at link.

carol.williams@latimes.com

Copyright 2012, Los Angeles Times"
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."-Lord Acton

Last edited by Kestryll; 02-20-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Old 02-24-2012, 9:34 AM

Default Watching closely!

I'm watching this thread with great interest, been wanting my CCW for years but always thought it pointless to apply in Merced county.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIguy View Post
I'm watching this thread with great interest, been wanting my CCW for years but always thought it pointless to apply in Merced county.
You obviously didn't donate enough to Pazin's election campaign
Old 03-02-2012, 9:56 PM

I just picked up my application yesterday and called to make an appointment today for next week.
Old 03-02-2012, 9:59 PM

Do you need to make the appointment to drop off the application? Is that what the appointment is for?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
Old 03-03-2012, 7:24 AM

Yes. The appointment is to drop off the app.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick831 View Post
I just picked up my application yesterday and called to make an appointment today for next week.
If you are in Monterey CO. why are you appling in Merced?
Old 03-03-2012, 4:06 PM

Oops.. lol I haven't been on for a while. I moved to Merced about 6 months ago.
Old 03-03-2012, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Oops.. lol I haven't been on for a while. I moved to Merced about 6 months ago.
Have you found any good places to shoot other than Gunrunner?
Old 03-03-2012, 8:56 PM

I've heard of a place near Mariposa but I forgot what it was called. There's also River Oaks range in Winton.
Old 03-05-2012, 1:42 PM

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! FINALLY!!!!! Took this from the front page of Fox News' website:

BALTIMORE – Maryland residents do not have to provide a "good and substantial reason" to legally own a handgun, a federal judge ruled Monday, striking down as unconstitutional the state's requirements for getting a permit.
U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg wrote that states are allowed some leeway in deciding the way residents exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms, but Maryland's objective was to limit the number of firearms that individuals could carry, effectively creating a rationing system that rewarded those who provided the right answer for wanting to own a gun.

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights," Legg wrote. "The right's existence is all the reason he needs."
Plaintiff Raymond Woollard obtained a handgun permit after fighting with an intruder in his Hampstead home in 2002, but was denied a renewal in 2009 because he could not show he had been subject to "threats occurring beyond his residence."
Woollard appealed, but his appeal was rejected by the review board, which found he hadn't demonstrated a "good and substantial reason" to carry a handgun as a reasonable precaution. The suit filed in 2010 claimed that Maryland didn't have a reason to deny the renewal and wrongly put the burden on Woollard to show why he still needed to carry a gun.
"People have the right to carry a gun for self-defense and don't have to prove that there's a special reason for them to seek the permit," said his attorney Alan Gura, who has challenged handgun bans in the District of Columbia and Chicago as an attorney with the Second Amendment Foundation. "We're not against the idea of a permit process, but the licensing system has to acknowledge that there's a right to bear arms."
In his ruling, Legg wrote that Second Amendment protections aren't limited to the household.
"In addition to self-defense, the (Second Amendment) right was also understood to allow for militia membership and hunting. To secure these rights, the Second Amendment's protections must extend beyond the home: neither hunting nor militia training is a household activity, and 'self-defense has to take place wherever (a) person happens to be,'" Legg wrote.
"Judge Legg's ruling takes a substantial step toward restoring the Second Amendment to its rightful place in the Bill of Rights and provides gun owners with another significant victory," said SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. "The federal district court has carefully spelled out the obvious, that the Second Amendment does not stop at one's doorstep, but protects us wherever we have a right to be."
The lawsuit names the state police superintendent and members of the Handgun Permit Review Board as defendants. A spokesman from Maryland's attorney general's office was not immediately available to comment.
Many states require gun permits, but six states, including Maryland, issue permits on a discretionary basis, Gura said. In most of those states, these challenges have not succeeded in U.S. District Courts, but they are being appealed, he said.
"Most states that choose to regulate the right to bear arms have licensing systems that are objective and straightforward," Gura said. "That's all that we want for Marylan

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz1oHjCkQ4q
Old 03-05-2012, 1:58 PM

Outstanding!
Old 03-05-2012, 2:29 PM

This is huge!
Old 03-05-2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
I've heard of a place near Mariposa but I forgot what it was called. There's also River Oaks range in Winton.
Have not heard of a place near Mariposa and River Oaks has a pretty long waiting list to join from what I understand.
Old 03-05-2012, 2:33 PM

Especially when you consider that is was a federal judge! Automatically this precedent carries more weight legally than any superior court judge would, and we know that if this gets appealed by the county/state/etc and a conflicting ruling is issued, this will end up going to the Supreme Court! The SCOTUS will HAVE to rule on this issue if there are conflicting rulings in order to make sure that the equal protection clause isn't being violated (conflicting rulings by federal courts = one group of people not playing by the same rules as others, thereby leading to UN-equal treatment).
Old 03-05-2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham7897 View Post
Have not heard of a place near Mariposa and River Oaks has a pretty long waiting list to join from what I understand.

River Oaks does have a waiting list...and I wish I hadn't had to drop my membership this year. Worth it in my opinion to at least get on the list and see if/when an opening comes up.
At least, that's how I got in about 5 years ago now: got on the list and waited for an opening. Got lucky, too.
Realistically, they're the only nearby place I know of for rifle and shotgun shooting. Haven't checked near Mariposa though.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2012, 6:07 PM

Motherload pistol club near mariposa
Old 03-07-2012, 5:50 PM

Well.. turned in my application yesterday and was I should get something in the mail within 3 months. Does anyone else have any experience of how the process works in merced county?
Old 03-07-2012, 5:55 PM

3 MONTHS? WTF? Dang...did you have to get a letter from your doctor?
Old 03-07-2012, 6:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well.. turned in my application yesterday and was I should get something in the mail within 3 months. Does anyone else have any experience of how the process works in merced county?
...was told or?

-Brandon

Old 03-07-2012, 7:55 PM

Yes. I was told*. Sorry didn't catch that.
Old 03-07-2012, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes. I was told*. Sorry didn't catch that.
Importantly, were your fingerprints taken?

-Brandon

Old 03-07-2012, 8:21 PM

Did they require a letter from your doctor in order to be able tot urn in your application?
Old 03-07-2012, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Importantly, were your fingerprints taken?

-Brandon
Finger prints were not taken. There's a few pages that need to be signed in front of a witness. Basically just signed those, took a photo copy of my ID, then turned in my application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_D
Did they require a letter from your doctor in order to be able tot urn in your application?
Negative. The front page of the application said to be sure to also include attachments 4 & 5 but there was no attachment 4 & 5 in the application packet. I asked her about it and she said they need to get that part removed because they don't require a letter from your doc or personal references any longer

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington, 1790
Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 PM

Excellent. I plan on getting mine in soon. I do have a question for one of the legal beagles on here though...What should I use as a good cause statement? Should I reference the fact that since the state of CA has A.) vested discretionary authority in the County Sheriffs to issue CCW permits, and B.) Has banned the open carry of an unloaded firearm, so in order to carry at ALL, I need a CCW?
Old 03-11-2012, 8:32 PM

What ever became of the Good Cause Statements?
Old 03-11-2012, 8:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
What ever became of the Good Cause Statements?
Slightly lower priority than suing the sheriff for a large number of policy violations.

-Brandon

Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM

I was told by a good source that Pazin is working on revamping the requirements that will make it standard throughout all 58 counties. 8 hr. training may be one of the new changes.

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 03-21-2012, 1:53 PM

Whats the good word?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM

I've tried best I could in trying to acquire a CCW through MC but I just don't have the $$$ to spare for legal representation at this time. As I've stated in a previous post I was denied with no explanation. I served nearly 12 years in the military & several years in civil service with a clearance. I passed a background check & personality test for my current employer. I was even denied without even submitting prints. To top it all when I asked for a copy of my packet it had another person's CLETS. I called MCSO & was told the CLETS was sent back with mu copy in error. On top of this I have a buddy that's getting his CCW because his dad & the Sheriff are friends- go figure!
Old 04-07-2012, 9:25 AM

Default CCW app. Merced County

Quote:
I just turned mine in about 2 weeks ago and already received my letter back from the under sheriff. I was denied. It didn't make it to Pazin, but im not giving up. Im going to try to get it to him directly.
Old 04-07-2012, 9:55 AM

What was the reason for denial?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightmedic145 View Post
I just turned mine in about 2 weeks ago and already received my letter back from the under sheriff. I was denied. It didn't make it to Pazin, but im not giving up. Im going to try to get it to him directly.
Did the Sheriff provide a reason for denial?

Last edited by HowardW56; 04-08-2012 at 6:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM

Sheriff never provided me a reason either & after discussing the issue off record with several people including all in all the Sheriff has the power to discriminate...
Old 04-07-2012, 11:34 PM

Apparently he's not too interested in helping his cause with the lawsuit...