Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-26-2011, 9:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniform_00 View Post
Excuse my ignorance I am new to this site. I also, live in Merced County and would like to apply for the CCW, but on the request for a doctors note I just changed jobs and my insurance coverage is with Kaiser and my family doctor of many years no longer is under my covered plan which was HMO. This S****.
Stay tuned and be sure to check the 2A forum tomorrow.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-26-2011, 9:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Stay tuned and be sure to check the 2A forum tomorrow.
BEEP-BEEP...coming through.

Old 07-27-2011, 1:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

UPDATE:

Calguns Foundation Sues Merced County, Sheriff Mark Pazin
Over Unlawful Carry Application Policies

San Carlos, CA (July 27, 2011) – As part of its ongoing Carry License Compliance and Sunshine Initiative, the Calguns Foundation has filed a lawsuit in Merced County Superior Court challenging Merced County and its Sheriff’s firearm carry licensing policy for violating state law. Joining CGF are three individual plaintiffs who have been harmed by these policies, Michelle and Seth Rossow and James Clark. The plaintiffs are represented byJason Davis of Mission Viejo and Donald Kilmer of San Jose.

California firearm carry license laws currently require applicants to have “good cause” and “good moral character.” The Calguns Foundation believes that those requirements are an unconstitutional prior restraint on the people’s right to bear arms, and is challenging those requirements in its Federal lawsuit over Yolo County’s carry licensing scheme in Richards v. Prieto, currently on appeal to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

However, in Merced County, the Sheriff saddles applicants with additional forms, fees, and processes - even for individuals who meet the heightened good cause and moral character requirements -· that, CGF alleges, violate state law.

“Sheriff Pazin has had ample time to create a policy that adheres to state law,” said Brandon Combs, a director of CGF and leader of the Initiative. Calguns Foundation first contacted Merced in October of 2010, when it discovered that the Sheriff had established an unlawful moratorium on carry license applications. The Sheriff subsequently lifted the moratorium, but has since refused to modify parts of his policy that CGF identified as unlawful.

“This case is definitely important to all Merced County residents who seek a carry license,” added CGF chairman Gene Hoffman. “What Sheriff Pazin has done is further burden a process that’s already costly and complex with unlawful requirements and fees. We are merely requesting the court mandate that the Sheriff’s policy be consistent with existing law.

In 1999, California enacted Assembly Bill 2022 to enforce standards upon the carry licensing process. "The Legislature, in AB 2022, sought to address the arbitrary and widely-varying abuses in carry license policies between different cities and counties in California,” said Jason Davis. “They made it clear that application requirements, forms, and fees are to be uniform throughout the state."

“When we found out my wife was about to become a new mom," said plaintiff Seth Rossow, "we knew we needed to take steps to protect our family when we weren’t in our home. We’ve had problems with meth users hiding at our ranch, and we watch the news like everybody else. In this day of budget cuts and reduced law enforcement patrols, it is important for us to be able to easily apply for our carry licenses.”

“The Rossow’s concerns for their safety are not unique," added Don Kilmer. "California created a system that was designed so that applicants could focus on important issues, like training,rather than worry about a local form the Sheriff might or might not want them to fill out that day.”

“Ultimately, this case is about making carry license policies consistent with California law,” said Gene Hoffman. “We believe that we can accomplish this without 58 lawsuits, but if that’s what it requires, that’s what we are prepared to do.”

A downloadable copy of the complaint may be found at CGF’s downloads library. More information on Calguns Foundation’s Carry License Compliance and Sunshine Initiative and other Second Amendment-related litigation and educational efforts can be found at www.calgunsfoundation.org.

___

The Calguns Foundation (www.calgunsfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which serves its members by providing Second Amendment-related education, strategic litigation and the defense of innocent California gun owners from improper or malicious prosecution. The Calguns Foundation seeks to inform government and protect the rights of individuals to acquire, own, and lawfully use firearms in California.

Gene Hoffman
650-275-1015
hoffmang@calgunsfoundation.org

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-27-2011, 2:10 PM

Default WAKE UP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicker0429 View Post
Take then
No more sandwiches and naps for us Merced County residents.
Old 07-31-2011, 4:06 PM

I am new to the Calguns forum but live in Merced county as well. I want to apply for my CCW but in light of the recent filing, should I wait now?
Old 08-01-2011, 9:03 PM

Thanks for the info. wildhawker
Old 08-09-2011, 5:47 AM

When is the court date? This should be fun to watch.

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 08-15-2011, 9:51 AM

Default Calguns lawsuit in Merced Sun-Star

The Merced Sun-Star published a letter regarding the Calguns lawsuit against Sheriff Pazin:

"Norman S. Covert: Great sheriffs, great gun policy

In response to the recent concealed weapons permits article, I find it irresponsible that an out-of-town attorney would join with three disgruntled Merced citizens in that lawsuit."

The rest of the letter and the comments are online:

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2011/08...-sheriffs.html
Old 08-15-2011, 7:10 PM
Banned

Typical. "I got mine so nothing is wrong with the system"...he must be on a certain 'state license to carry' forum that I won't mention the name of here
Old 08-19-2011, 9:16 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
Typical. "I got mine so nothing is wrong with the system"...he must be on a certain 'state license to carry' forum that I won't mention the name of here

More than likely he is a good drinking buddy of Pazins' ( who is suspected of being quite the lush) or has contributed heavily to his campaign chest. There is a reason Merced County SO has the reputation of being one of the worst departments in the state. Perhaps it's because of the "good ol boys club" mentality the infects the management levels.
Old 08-19-2011, 9:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freeman1951 View Post
More than likely he is a good drinking buddy of Pazins' ( who is suspected of being quite the lush) or has contributed heavily to his campaign chest. There is a reason Merced County SO has the reputation of being one of the worst departments in the state. Perhaps it's because of the "good ol boys club" mentality the infects the management levels.
You mean to imply that some shady things may have happened there? I mean, it's not as if any one of his late family members were involved in far more than one DUI incident that was just brushed under the rug...oh wait...I have to say "allegedly" here.
Old 09-23-2011, 1:41 PM

Default CCW Policy Changes

The Good News: The sheriff no longer requires a doctor's approval or character references.

The Bad News: The sheriff wants you to apply to your city CLEO and be denied before applying to him. Good luck with that, Pazin!
Old 09-23-2011, 1:43 PM

Quote:
The Good News: The sheriff no longer requires a doctor's approval or character references.

The Bad News: The sheriff wants you to apply to your city CLEO and be denied before applying to him. Good luck with that, Pazin!
Strikes me as a purposeful delaying tactic
Old 09-23-2011, 4:38 PM

Quote:

Pazin said: "No Doctor? No References? Well then how about a CLEO? Take THAT, you lowly peasants!"
Old 09-23-2011, 4:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
And a requirement to pay additional fees. Lots of City/County agreements like that so the City can collect up to a few hundred dollars in fees for doing absolutely nothing other than a clerical return-to-sender with a slightly modified cover letter(rejection letter).
Old 09-23-2011, 5:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
It's Merced County and Sheriff Pazin narrowing the issues they're confident enough to litigate.

-Brandon

Old 09-23-2011, 6:07 PM

I have a question, if applying to the local PD is a county requirement, would the fees collected (if the permit is denied) then be applied toward the county's fees ?
Old 09-23-2011, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
I have a question, if applying to the local PD is a county requirement, would the fees collected (if the permit is denied) then be applied toward the county's fees ?
No, but they would likely be recoverable in a successful action against the county for enforcing an unlawful policy leading to the expenditure of costs beyond those allowable under the State's regulatory scheme.

-Brandon

Old 10-11-2011, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Any up dates on the case?
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 10-11-2011, 8:01 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
Any up dates on the case?
The on the ground policies seem to be... in flux...

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 11-05-2011, 8:34 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Any news? I am about to apply? Any advice/concerns?

I live in rural Merced County, no local law to turn me down. Ill be applying direct.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvejunkie View Post
Any news? I am about to apply? Any advice/concerns?

I live in rural Merced County, no local law to turn me down. Ill be applying direct.
We're minute to minute on updates.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 11-05-2011, 11:13 PM

It's been quite a few minutes since the last one
Old 12-03-2011, 2:33 PM

This is off topic, Anyone know what happend to Stone's gun shop? I've been by there a couple of times in the last 2 weeks and it's locked up tight..
Old 12-03-2011, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This is off topic, Anyone know what happend to Stone's gun shop? I've been by there a couple of times in the last 2 weeks and it's locked up tight..
There is a blog that says ATF shut it down....

http://akeyboardanda45.blogspot.com/...-to-minor.html
Old 12-03-2011, 5:38 PM

That really sucks, that put several people out of work..
Old 12-04-2011, 8:20 AM
Banned

Too bad we can't close the DOJ for "clerical errors of 'misplacing' an unknown number of AW registrations".
Old 12-04-2011, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Too bad we can't close the DOJ for "clerical errors of 'misplacing' an unknown number of AW registrations".
Lets see about shutting down SWAT teams when they kick in the door at the wrong address.
Old 12-05-2011, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Lets see about shutting down SWAT teams when they kick in the door at the wrong address.
haha good one!
Old 12-08-2011, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
There is a blog that says ATF shut it down....

http://akeyboardanda45.blogspot.com/...-to-minor.html
That was awhile ago. I thought they opened back up again.
Old 12-09-2011, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham7897 View Post
That was awhile ago. I thought they opened back up again.
They were; a year-and-some ago, PanzerAce (member from back when OLLs were just getting to be a big deal) and I dropped in on their new location on MLK and looked at a few pistols.
They were most assuredly open, but under a new owner, I believe.

Last couple times I went past the place, though, they were buttoned-up...one time was a Wednesday at about 10am, too. Another was a Saturday afternoon.
Wish I knew what was up, though I sniffed a little grapevine talk to the effect that there was some screwing-over of some people by others...no idea if that's true.

On the other hand, I can vouch for the "good old boy" style of MCSO; especially since the recent commanders took over.
Old 12-19-2011, 3:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Go next door to the Napa auto parts store, he has the shop in a small room in the back. I just picked up a striped lower there about a week ago.

Best
caveman
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Any new news?

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 01-06-2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keneva View Post
Any new news?
My understanding is that many issues outlined in our complaint have been resolved in our favor but I'm not up to date enough to know which issues are still outstanding.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We should have a letter going to County Counsel within the next week. Next stop is discovery.

-Brandon

Old 01-20-2012, 9:50 AM

Thumbs up More Changes

The sheriff no longer requires us city dwellers to apply and be denied by the chief of police before applying to him. Also, Anita has been replaced as CCW Coordinator by Josette Torres. Keep those changes coming, Pazin!
Old 01-20-2012, 8:01 PM

Quote:
The sheriff no longer requires us city dwellers to apply and be denied by the chief of police before applying to him. Also, Anita has been replaced as CCW Coordinator by Josette Torres. Keep those changes coming, Pazin!
But it looks like he has gone back to the Doctor's letter and personal references requirements...
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 PM

I have only recently stumbled on this thread. I too live in Atwater (Merced County). I have just recently acquired my first handgun (a 5" Springfield XD .40) and would like to get a CCW. I have heard many people tell me, even prior to me purchasing a weapon, that if I ever got a firearm, to not bother applying for a CCW through Merced County, since Pazin only gave them out to, as others have said, campaign contributors and drinking buddies. I do a lot of driving at night going to school to get my master's, and with the economy being what it is, I want to be able to protect myself. Any tips or feedback for the permit process? I have been debating spending a considerable amount of time at the range before even applying just to avoid that being an issue. What should I do? How do I enjoin myself to this cause?
Old 02-01-2012, 8:33 AM
Banned

Ryan, you can get involved as an applicant by signing up on the CalGuns Foundation's License-to-Carry Volunteer Page. You can either document going through the application process as Merced's policy currently stands or you can wait until this lawsuit goes from discovery to court, to see what changes the court requires the Sheriff to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_D View Post
I have only recently stumbled on this thread. I too live in Atwater (Merced County). I have just recently acquired my first handgun (a 5" Springfield XD .40) and would like to get a CCW. I have heard many people tell me, even prior to me purchasing a weapon, that if I ever got a firearm, to not bother applying for a CCW through Merced County, since Pazin only gave them out to, as others have said, campaign contributors and drinking buddies. I do a lot of driving at night going to school to get my master's, and with the economy being what it is, I want to be able to protect myself. Any tips or feedback for the permit process? I have been debating spending a considerable amount of time at the range before even applying just to avoid that being an issue. What should I do? How do I enjoin myself to this cause?
Old 02-08-2012, 8:53 AM

Quote:
You mean to imply that some shady things may have happened there? I mean, it's not as if any one of his late family members were involved in far more than one DUI incident that was just brushed under the rug...oh wait...I have to say "allegedly" here.
I too have heard from a NUMBER of people that Pazin is quite a lush. Also, let's not forget who we're dealing with here...this is the same guy that, in collusion with other officials and "good 'ole boys" arrested a guy, coerced him into selling a piece of real-estate while he was in custody. The arresting officer was a reserve police officer for the City of Atwater, who then ended up doing code enforcement, and has since been dismissed for sexual harassment by the City of Atwater. (Link to articles HERE: http://www.badlandsjournal.com/2006-07-28/00147
http://www.badlandsjournal.com/2006-07-23/00144)

Here is a youtube vid about it as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMIRweKqGY

Hostetler is a HUGE developer throughout the SJ Valley, and Merced Area in particular. Gordon Spencer is the former Merced County DA, who resigned over a number of allegations but was never charged. The defendants named in Byrd's lawsuit are all part of the "old money" crowd in Merced County.

So now you know, Cal-Guns, if you did not know already, the moral character of the people you are dealing with at least in Merced County.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."-Lord Acton