Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Default COX OR AT&T

Since I'm moving into a new place I thought it would be a good idea to shop around for some better tv/internet service. I'm limited to Cox or AT&T. I have previously been using cox and I'm not too impressed. The fees they charge for Hd/DVR services are ridiculous. The internet service was great, never had a problem conecting or slow DL speeds. I play games online a lot so fast internet is KEY. I have looked into AT&T and their TV packages are far better then Cox (and cheaper). I can get HD-DVRs in both rooms and the channels I want for $30 less then Cox. But I have heard that AT&Ts internet is so so.

I need fast internet for myself, and the fiance has to have the DVR. I wont watch anything thats not in HD as I have spoiled myself. So, Fast internet and HD-DVR must be included.

Anyone have any input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtykoala View Post
dont have a gun, let crack head break your window and super man drop kick you
Quote:
Originally Posted by compulsivegunbuyer View Post
I grab my zipper and ask if he wants to make a little extra cash
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

There's a lot of hate out there for AT&T, but has been outstanding for me. The DVR is as good or better than TiVo (no kidding). And we got 2 DVR's and can tape up to 4 shows at one time.

If you get AT&T video package and DSL, DO NOT let them take away your POTS (plain old telephone system). It costs no more or less to keep it, but explain right off that you want to keep the POTS line - you'll be able to call without power, call 911 without issues..

But I really like it and so does the family. And I agree, I don't really use HD for anything.

To me the big advertizing about difference in data speeds is kind of hokum. I get 3MBits/sec 24/7 and could pay for higher data rate, but my kid can do online gaming (World of Warcraft?), while we all surf the web.

Customer support has been very good, you can chat on website or call and talk to a human...

I'm not a cable fan. More about the companies than the technology.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I do not know what Cox is like in your area but it's super fast in South OC. I have never had AT&T dsl but I have heard they suck (friends & family). Check if there are any reviews in your area: http://www.dslreports.com/
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM

COX in San Diego sucks ***. Worst customer service ever, the service always cuts out, they charge u more than they say and u have to hassle them down to what ur supposed to pay. I hate having cox
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Is the AT&T DSL that same as their new U-verse high speed internet? I've had DSL before and it wasnt that great but I thought I heard a comercial or something that said they upgraded to all new fiber optics.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

Default AT&T details

I was talking about UVerse, which includes video, DSL and phone line. The hardware is an all new modem - video and DSL w/ 802.11G(?) WiFi built in. The fibreoptic line goes to about 40 yards(?) from my house, and then twisted pair works for video, POTS, and DSL to the house. BTW - installation was pretty painless too. The guy listened to what I wanted, and spend a good 1/2 day installing, left his card... cool.

Same technology, shorter run. The video (I believe) is at 25.8 MBits/sec. You can buy higher rates of DSL, I just didn't think it was worth paying for higher data rates.

Last edited by orangeusa; 08-24-2010 at 12:51 PM..
Old 08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
I was talking about UVerse, which includes video, DSL and phone line. The hardware is an all new modem - video and DSL w/ 802.11G(?) WiFi built in. The fibreoptic line goes to about 100 yards from my house, and then twisted pair works for video, POTS, and DSL to the house. BTW - installation was pretty painless too. The guy listened to what I wanted, and spend a good 1/2 day installing, left his card... cool.

Same technology, shorter run. The video (I believe) is at 25.8 MBits/sec. You can buy higher rates of DSL, I just didn't think it was worth paying for higher data rates.
I'm not getting a lan line, I really have no need for it with my cell phone (Yes I know if the towers go down or the zombies attack or the world ends I wont bed able to get in touch with anyone but I really dont talk on the phone much anyways). AT&Ts website doesnt say whether you need to have the phone line or not to get internet, do I need phone also?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-24-2010, 1:05 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

I don't know what you mean by lan line. I think you mean land line (w/ a typo)?

They want to get rid of pots equipment at the CO (central office) and convert your line to VoIP. Then they can remove the twisted pair that goes (currently) from your house the the CO. Remember - the fibreoptic panel is placed near a set of houses to provide high bandwidth to the home. It's really not a big deal if you are comfortable with just cell phone coverage and no landline. I don't know if you can tell them to forget any kind of land line service. Probably can...

And I work in the Cellular Wireless field, and don't worry about cell coverage going away during blackouts! Every cell site has backup power in case of blackouts.

Doesn't mean you'll be able to GET a call through! bee bee beeeee (congestion tone)

Last edited by orangeusa; 08-24-2010 at 1:07 PM..
Old 08-24-2010, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Uverse was not a great option for us for TV. They can only have 1 DVR on a subscribed line, and additional receivers. That means UP TO 4 shows at once can be recorded, or 2 HD streams + SD.

They cap the HD streams at about 6mbps H264, and you can see it on bigger sets. Their SD streams look very nice compared to everyone else though..

Another downside to UVerse on the internet side is that it's an interleaved packet system. This means if you play FPS games, you will notice a latency increase in your ping times. I am 800 feet from my VRAD and have a 24Mbit connection with a great signal (gateway reports a max allowable signal of 63Mbit) and I can't play FPS' anymore without randomly getting kicked for having too high of a ping. My comcast connection was much, much better. I've only kept the UVerse 24Mbit internet because it's cheap and uncapped for $60 a month, but I cancelled the TV service and went back to DirecTV.

For more info on UVerse check the DSLReports.com forums, or uverseusers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 08-24-2010, 2:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

AT&T sucks for me, I get my connection reset several times throughout the day.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 08-24-2010, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

When I moved into my new place the rent was $150 more than my old place. So I decided to go without cable for bit to see how if I could survive. I also decided to go without a home phone, since I have a cell phone, and to tether my cell phone and use it for my internet access since I get unlimited data minutes with my phone plan.

The only real downside is my internet access is a bit slower than I would prefer. But at a savings of $70-$200 month, I can more than tolerate it. It is fast enough to handle Hulu.com and Netflix.com streaming videos. Between those and other free media websites I realized I am not missing much. I still get to see all my favorite cable TV shows. The only ones I have to wait until they are available on DVD are the ones from HBO and SHOWTIME, the rest are available the day after they air online. So what if I watch BURNED NOTICE on Fridays instead of Thursdays? Doing so saves me a ton of money. Bear in mind I have access to the standard broadcast channels all in HD 100% for free. Everything else I want to watch is available through HULU.com and/or Netflix.com, and Netflix only costs me $10 a month.

All said and done, I spend $400 less a month even after my rent when up by $150 a month, and I am never at a loss for something to watch. It may require a tad bit more effort on my part (I have to pull up a FAVORTIE bookmark on a web browser instead of pushing the channel button on the remote) but for that amount of savings it is well worth it.

It helps that I own two very nice computers that are hooked upto my TVs, each running Windows 7 with Media Center built-in, and I took the time to learn how to fully exploit the benfits Media Center offers. Most people have no idea just how much their computers could help improve their TV experience, if they only took the time to learn. If you have more money than brains, and subscribe to the ultimate cable package, Media Center helps improve your viewing experience even more. If you haven't spent some time checking out a friend's system who really knows Media Center, then there simply is no way to comprehend what you are missing.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 08-24-2010 at 2:58 PM..
Old 08-24-2010, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

I've had Cox for 2 years, paid a ton for it since it was the only thing I could get and then I moved and now have Uverse which I've had for about 2-3 years and I like it. If you are already an ATT wireless customer I would go down to a store and check out the packages. I work for AT&T and I'm not sure if San Diego runs the same promos we do in the central valley so I don't want to quote you on prices but typically as a first time user you get some pretty good rates plus some type of cash back depending on package.
Old 08-24-2010, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

is this FUD? I read that the HD picture quality, and ability to record multiple HD shows is tied to your internet speed package. I was gonna go with the elite package and see how it wis (up to 6Mbps). But with this new information, a higher package may be preferred, like the max (up to 12Mbps).

Any truth in this? I guess I really dont know how uverse works. I always thought it was like cable but apparently it still goes through the phone line and everything is tied to that ONE line, IN and OUT.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Nick1236; 08-24-2010 at 3:56 PM..
Old 08-25-2010, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1236 View Post
is this FUD? I read that the HD picture quality, and ability to record multiple HD shows is tied to your internet speed package. I was gonna go with the elite package and see how it wis (up to 6Mbps). But with this new information, a higher package may be preferred, like the max (up to 12Mbps).

Any truth in this? I guess I really dont know how uverse works. I always thought it was like cable but apparently it still goes through the phone line and everything is tied to that ONE line, IN and OUT.
Well...... Kinda.

The number of channels you can stream at one time is limited by your connection, but not exactly your data plan.

If you sub to the 6mbps internet you will get the 6mbps (minus overhead of DSL) fine and the TV will use the remaining connection speed that you don't get provisioned for data... In other words, to have 2 HD and 2 SD streams at the same time you will need to be close enough to the VRAD for a 25mbps connection minimum. If you come in under 25mbps raw connection they will provision you on a 1HD/2SD max stream.

If you have the higher end data plan of 18 or 24mbps and your DVR records 2 HD shows, or a combination that is using a lot of data, you will see your internet speed dip. When I had the TV portion I would see my then 18mbps connection drop to 12mbps when multiple recordings were going on.

Quote:
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 08-25-2010, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifthspeed View Post
I'm not sure if San Diego runs the same promos we do in the central valley so I don't want to quote you on prices but typically as a first time user you get some pretty good rates plus some type of cash back depending on package.
This was one of the best part of my dealings with AT&T U-Verse for TV. I got $400 in rebates and another $350 for referring a family member (who got $400 for themselves) that didn't care that it wasn't the best picture out there. They liked it for the price and it is technically HD.

The absolute best part of U-verse: it is (was?) no-contract. sign up, keep the service for a couple months and get your rebates. If you don't like it, cancel and pay no ETF.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2010, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Well...... Kinda.

The number of channels you can stream at one time is limited by your connection, but not exactly your data plan.

If you sub to the 6mbps internet you will get the 6mbps (minus overhead of DSL) fine and the TV will use the remaining connection speed that you don't get provisioned for data... In other words, to have 2 HD and 2 SD streams at the same time you will need to be close enough to the VRAD for a 25mbps connection minimum. If you come in under 25mbps raw connection they will provision you on a 1HD/2SD max stream.

If you have the higher end data plan of 18 or 24mbps and your DVR records 2 HD shows, or a combination that is using a lot of data, you will see your internet speed dip. When I had the TV portion I would see my then 18mbps connection drop to 12mbps when multiple recordings were going on.
So I need to do some neighborhood scouting and find out where the VRAD is. Good to know. May Opt for the higher data plan anyways, could always use the extra speed for streaming movies from netflix.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-25-2010, 4:26 PM

I worked for AT&T for 7 years as a NOC technician supporting the Pronto DSL product, and learning what I could about Uverse (that never came here, it's all administered out of the Dallas/Richardson NOC).

Uverse is VDSL (video DSL, the classic "old" DSL that ATT also offers is ADSL, asymmetric DSL).

VDSL extends optical fiber from the Alcatel Litespan 2000 remote terminals (RTs) to the VRAD on the sidewalk. From there they have a 2K ft run of 2 pairs of standard unshielded twisted pair copper (UTP) from the "B box" (cross connect box, same ones they used to patch DSL over) to the side of your house.

Currently, they just bumped the max speed up from 18/1.8MB/s to 24/3MB/s for internet data. That costs $65/month by itself. My roommate/landlord just switched from Cox to ATT Uverse, getting 3/1MBit data, voice, and the U200 TV package with a DVR and cut his bill by $25/month ($125 vs $150), and he had the similar channel line up and data speeds from Cox.

The ATT Uverse webpage has a pretty accurate tool to determine if a specific address is Uverse capable or not. Just go to uverse.att.com and you should see a link for it.

As for # of simultaneous channels, everyone, including Cox is moving away from it to free up bandwidth for internet. In the old cable architecture, every channel went to every cable box every minute of the day. Now, with everything being digital (local over the air channels included), they stream everything to a node in the field (Uverse and cable) and only send the channels you actually request to the set top box. If you're in Escondido like I think you are, if your house can get Uverse, you should be able to get the top tier data and all the HD you want.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Old 08-25-2010, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Boy View Post
I worked for AT&T for 7 years as a NOC technician supporting the Pronto DSL product, and learning what I could about Uverse (that never came here, it's all administered out of the Dallas/Richardson NOC).

Uverse is VDSL (video DSL, the classic "old" DSL that ATT also offers is ADSL, asymmetric DSL).

VDSL extends optical fiber from the Alcatel Litespan 2000 remote terminals (RTs) to the VRAD on the sidewalk. From there they have a 2K ft run of 2 pairs of standard unshielded twisted pair copper (UTP) from the "B box" (cross connect box, same ones they used to patch DSL over) to the side of your house.

Currently, they just bumped the max speed up from 18/1.8MB/s to 24/3MB/s for internet data. That costs $65/month by itself. My roommate/landlord just switched from Cox to ATT Uverse, getting 3/1MBit data, voice, and the U200 TV package with a DVR and cut his bill by $25/month ($125 vs $150), and he had the similar channel line up and data speeds from Cox.

The ATT Uverse webpage has a pretty accurate tool to determine if a specific address is Uverse capable or not. Just go to uverse.att.com and you should see a link for it.

As for # of simultaneous channels, everyone, including Cox is moving away from it to free up bandwidth for internet. In the old cable architecture, every channel went to every cable box every minute of the day. Now, with everything being digital (local over the air channels included), they stream everything to a node in the field (Uverse and cable) and only send the channels you actually request to the set top box. If you're in Escondido like I think you are, if your house can get Uverse, you should be able to get the top tier data and all the HD you want.
Good to know. Yes I will be moving to a new location in the escondido area. North escondido area, east of centre city pkwy off El Norte pkwy. Hoping its close to a main hub. I did an address check and it says its available. Hoping to have it installed on the 4th. Do you know how long the install process takes?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-25-2010, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We have AT&T and we love it. Never had a problem. Unlike Time Warner which always went down, endless CS calls and rate hike after rate hike. Got AT&T and never looked back
Old 08-25-2010, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Boy View Post
If you're in Escondido like I think you are, if your house can get Uverse, you should be able to get the top tier data and all the HD you want.
This is sort of misleading as worded. "all the HD you want" meaning, record 2 HD streams at a time, from what they carry as a provider. If you're in the 32meg profile and your area is activated for it you can get a 3rd HD stream for live viewing, but the DVR can't record that third stream.

U-Verse is just IPTV, and you have a limited amount of bandwidth for streams via the residential gateway (2wire 3600) and your DVR or additional tuners.

I was sold on U-Verse by promises of features "coming at the end of the month" that never showed up. We don't watch SD tv unless we have to, so we went back to DirecTV so we could have many HD tuners (We have 8 tuners due to wanting a box in this room or that room, but really only use 5 on busy times when the wife seems to have all her shows on one night).

Project "Lightspeed" or, U-Verse took too long to deploy, much like "Pronto" did, so the hardware is outdated before most of the infrastructure has been built out. I have a friend that does DSL install/repair for SBC/ASI/NameOfTheMonth and he was talking about Pronto for 2 years before we saw any quantity of them on the street, same with Lightspeed/U-Verse. Now it's here and they're still behind the bandwidth game with my local comcast just rolling out testing of 100Mbit here.

I really wish AT&T could execute on their ideas quicker, U-verse was a great idea 5 years ago, today it's good because it's cheap compared to my Comcast business line (compares nicely because of no bandwidth cap like residential comcast).

Another positive I just remembered about U-Verse, you can hook up your boxes via coax or cat 5/6 cable, which is nice, but the runs need to go where you install your Residential Gateway.

On the negative, there was massive audio dropouts when using optical or HDMI to a Dolby Digital receiver when I had it, last I checked it wasn't fixed and had been on-going for 18 months with the common "this is the first we've heard of it" replies from tech support, even though there was a 1400+ post thread about it on utalk.att.com forums... ah.. here it is.. now over 1800 posts strong: http://utalk.att.com/t5/Equipment/Au...5-1/td-p/57711

Like I think I mentioned before, read up as much as you can so you know what you're jumping into.

Quote:

Last edited by TonyM; 08-25-2010 at 5:51 PM..
Old 08-25-2010, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorhard View Post
COX in San Diego sucks ***. Worst customer service ever, the service always cuts out, they charge u more than they say and u have to hassle them down to what ur supposed to pay. I hate having cox
LIAR!

Just kidding; they do have issues, but in the city their Internet is super fast, like 13mbps down 5 up on top tier. Really depends on where you live.

One thing I dont like is when I moved to the east coast and transferred my cox account they deleted my email account :-#

Last edited by Pointcrossed; 08-25-2010 at 6:34 PM..
Old 10-19-2010, 1:32 PM

Default Don't do it

I install uverse for a living I've been install for over 3 and 1/2 years Att is by far the worst company to work for the system itself has issues first every price of equipment u get will be a refurb and there is no 2 dvrs it's only one period they have a whole home DVr but you better have new wording in your house or Att will bill you to install to their standard in my opinion I would not support a company in which treats their employees like shot also after 9/11 all the outside plant tech were told to remove the American flags from their vehicles take what you want from the info I have posted
Old 10-19-2010, 1:34 PM

Piece Wiring sorry
Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Always go with Cable. They are always at the cutting edge.
Old 12-07-2013, 3:52 PM

Just moved to South Escondido a few months ago and went with Uverse for internet only (max data rate in my area was 3Mb/s so wouldn't support IP TV). I haven't gotten around to setting up TV, not sure if I will, but if I do i'll go direct TV.

Had to have a few technicians out the house to diagnose various issues on AT&Ts end, but they were always able to get someone out very quickly and all of the techs seemed like good people.

My quote from Cox was on the order of $130 for a dvr, TV, internet, plus they made me sign up for installation on my first phone call, otherwise I wouldn't get some discount. Surely this was a sales tactic but I don't take too kindly to being given ultimatums.

I highly recommend AT&T and will never do business with Cox.

-Chris
Old 12-07-2013, 6:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

That is terrible. Wonder if it was one of those contracted sales departments that was giving you a hard time.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskalka View Post
Just moved to South Escondido a few months ago and went with Uverse for internet only (max data rate in my area was 3Mb/s so wouldn't support IP TV). I haven't gotten around to setting up TV, not sure if I will, but if I do i'll go direct TV.

Had to have a few technicians out the house to diagnose various issues on AT&Ts end, but they were always able to get someone out very quickly and all of the techs seemed like good people.

My quote from Cox was on the order of $130 for a dvr, TV, internet, plus they made me sign up for installation on my first phone call, otherwise I wouldn't get some discount. Surely this was a sales tactic but I don't take too kindly to being given ultimatums.

I highly recommend AT&T and will never do business with Cox.

-Chris
At&T will do exactly the same thing as cox, regarding the "required" phone line.

Actually, scratch that. AT&T installers won't tell you that you need that "required" phone line, and then they'll just charge you the ten bucks a month extra until you get it installed and hooked up to their system.

They all suck. I'm trying to find an alternative to Cox right now, due to their recent price increase.

I'm pissed.
WTB: Rhodesian A5 FN 12G Shotgun...any leads appreciated.
WTB: FN FS2000
Old 12-08-2013, 3:14 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Yes they all do the same. I do like the cable companies because I don't think there is a term contract with them. When your rates do go up usually you can complain and complain and sometimes get the old rate back.
Old 01-05-2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmman View Post
Yes they all do the same. I do like the cable companies because I don't think there is a term contract with them. When your rates do go up usually you can complain and complain and sometimes get the old rate back.

Cox, my friend has AT&T and hates it but can't get rid of it right now because they are stuck in a contract.
Old 01-06-2014, 3:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Move to a place with Fios and you wouldn't have this dilemma...

It was a requirement that I researched before I bought my home.
Old 01-08-2014, 9:31 AM

If you going to stay with cable, You need to look into the Ceton Infinite 4 or 6 tuner with windows 7.
No DVR fees

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815706005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...01&ignorebbr=1

I have been running this tuner card for over a year ago and this product is outstanding! My Comcast bill is $115 per month with Internet services.