Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Default R-Wild Ranch

Wondering if anyone here has ownership in R-Wild Ranch in Platina? I'm thinking of buying a deed to have a getaway from the city life. I would like to know the pros and cons of purchasing a deed. I have read mixed reviews about the place.
Old 03-27-2016, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I toured there when it was new. Wasn't for me. Camping is like sardines (RV park) and they really cater to the "social" crowd. I don't go camping to be around people. Thousand Trails was the same way. Blue hairs or place to babysit your kids. Plenty of Nat'l Forest.

Supposedly have 2k acres for hunting. 2k acres sounds big, but it can get real small when throw a bunch of hunters at it.

If you like the social aspect or can make good use of the stables, etc., it might be good for you. Or it can be a home base for other area activities.

I drive by R-ranch occassionaly. I just see a bunch of RV's stored and a bunch more in what appears to be semi-permanent slots. I think you can keep your trailer in one site for up to 90 days.

I've seen shares go for cheap (way cheaper than via the HQ). Folk find they don't use it and get tired of the annual fee ($1100'ish).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.
#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 03-27-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Old 03-28-2016, 6:01 AM
Veteran Member

I've driven by on the way to deer camp & have seen many memberships for sale on Craigslist...... Guessing it's for the horse riding weekend Warrior. If interested in that area, I'd save up a bit & just purchase an acre or two & be close to the NF for your own recreation....
Old 03-28-2016, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I don't go camping to be around people. Thousand Trails was the same way. Blue hairs or place to babysit your kids. Plenty of Nat'l Forest.
This was our experience, too. They tend to be more like refugee camps than camping.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:29 PM

Thanks for all the input... that's what I'm afraid of too, buying into and not having the time to use it or too lazy to make the long drive up.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Idk what you like for camping, but Jager had a pretty good description of it.

Also gets hot an dry out there.
Old 03-28-2016, 1:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I grew up going to "Napa Valley Ranch Club" before it sold out to R-Ranch. But, I didn't know there were other facilities until I googled it thanks to this thread.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 04-20-2016, 6:17 PM

My family were owners for 25+ years. There are many owners who pay and many who don't so there is some deferred maintenance. It was fun and if you are into horses or have kids who want to ride it's fun. We never saw game as there are many hunters and just people crawling around the property. The gun range is cool in a Nat'l forest way where it's unregulated for the most part. The cabins make for easy camping but yes not remote pristine camping. Out in the back with a couple motorcycles and some rifles me and my bro had some good times. Hard to get rid of when you decide you want to be done. You can't just quit paying. I think we sold ours for $250 just to get out of it. It was overall fun I would say until we were done

Adventure doesn't have to be extreme, it just needs to be yours!