Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:31 PM
mspiegle's Avatar
mspiegle mspiegle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 65
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

KF6XXX
I got my technician's license when I was 14 (I'm 26 now).
I've never owned or really used a ham radio.

How sad is that?
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 05-09-2011, 2:09 PM
xrMike's Avatar
xrMike xrMike is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: waaaaay South Bay
Posts: 7,271
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

KJ6***
Technician class
central coast, CA
Yesaeu FT-60R with Diamond SRH77CA antenna
I am probably going to join the local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) club, or at least attend some of their meetings and help them out at local events.

That same local club put on a "ham-cram" session Saturday (2 days ago). We studied questions from the question pool for 3-4 hours, then took the test. I missed 1 out of 35 questions. My new call sign showed up in the FCC database today. That was fast!

Now I just need to figure out how to use this radio and program all the local repeaters freqs and their access tones into memory.

I don't plan on talking much; mostly just bought the radio for emergency comms. I do like listening in though.

Last edited by xrMike; 05-09-2011 at 2:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 PM
blackandredwarrior blackandredwarrior is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 119
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
KJ6***
Technician class
central coast, CA
Yesaeu FT-60R with Diamond SRH77CA antenna
I am probably going to join the local ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) club, or at least attend some of their meetings and help them out at local events.

That same local club put on a "ham-cram" session Saturday (2 days ago). We studied questions from the question pool for 3-4 hours, then took the test. I missed 1 out of 35 questions. My new call sign showed up in the FCC database today. That was fast!

Now I just need to figure out how to use this radio and program all the local repeaters freqs and their access tones into memory.

I don't plan on talking much; mostly just bought the radio for emergency comms. I do like listening in though.
I have the same radio (and antenna too). I recommend the FTB60 software (http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb60.htm) for programming the radio. Search eBay for Kawamall. They sell cheap and good cables.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 05-10-2011, 8:25 AM
xrMike's Avatar
xrMike xrMike is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: waaaaay South Bay
Posts: 7,271
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandredwarrior View Post
I have the same radio (and antenna too). I recommend the FTB60 software (http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/ftb60.htm) for programming the radio. Search eBay for Kawamall. They sell cheap and good cables.
Cool...

I'd already downloaded this guy's s/w, but not installed or used it yet because I still need to collect the data first (local freqs/tones/etc):

http://www.kc8unj.com/ft60.html

Is the app you are using pretty much the same, or better? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 05-10-2011, 11:32 PM
blackandredwarrior blackandredwarrior is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 119
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Cool...

I'd already downloaded this guy's s/w, but not installed or used it yet because I still need to collect the data first (local freqs/tones/etc):

http://www.kc8unj.com/ft60.html

Is the app you are using pretty much the same, or better? Thanks.
I've heard of it but I have never used it. I run the FTB software because I have an FT-7800 and the software from that. The FTB series of software allows you to transfer programming between both.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 05-11-2011, 1:53 PM
Franz Maurer's Avatar
Franz Maurer Franz Maurer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pentaluma
Posts: 88
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

is this a data mining thread ?

call: a 2by1 starting with an N
located in PeNtaluma, Ca

I still have a 706Mk2 and a standard triband HT
and of course then there are guns
lots of guns...

..._._


Last edited by Franz Maurer; 05-11-2011 at 1:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 05-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone Bone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just got my call sign listed today! Technician Class. Taking the General Element next month.

KJ6XXX

In LA. In the market for a rig, and excited to hit the air!

73
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 PM
domokun's Avatar
domokun domokun is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,537
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Congrats and welcome to the hobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Just got my call sign listed today! Technician Class. Taking the General Element next month.

KJ6XXX

In LA. In the market for a rig, and excited to hit the air!

73
__________________
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it?" --Harlon Carter
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." --Gerald Ford
"Government is essentially the negation of liberty." --Ludwig von Mises
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.


Join today?
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 05-13-2011, 11:52 PM
domokun's Avatar
domokun domokun is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 3,537
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Cool...

I'd already downloaded this guy's s/w, but not installed or used it yet because I still need to collect the data first (local freqs/tones/etc):

http://www.kc8unj.com/ft60.html

Is the app you are using pretty much the same, or better? Thanks.
I use the version for the VX-7R (VX7 Commander). It works really well and it's free!
__________________
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it?" --Harlon Carter
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." --Gerald Ford
"Government is essentially the negation of liberty." --Ludwig von Mises
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.


Join today?
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 05-14-2011, 4:46 AM
r08ert209cali's Avatar
r08ert209cali r08ert209cali is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lathrop Area
Posts: 1,554
iTrader: 27 / 97%
Default

Taking technician test today. S.A.R.A. Ham cram. Already have a vx3/r and a 8900/r mobile.
__________________

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 05-14-2011, 8:14 PM
ADAM's Avatar
ADAM ADAM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L.A./O.C./R.S./S.B.
Posts: 2,389
iTrader: 117 / 99%
Default

KJ6XXX
Technician
Kenwood TH-F6A
Wouxun 2m/440
Yeasu FT7900R one for each car love them
soon Yeasu TF897D or ic7000
__________________
I said I didn"t have much use for one.Didn"t say I didn"t know how to use it. MATTHEW QUIGLEY

Last edited by ADAM; 06-13-2011 at 4:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 05-14-2011, 8:24 PM
r08ert209cali's Avatar
r08ert209cali r08ert209cali is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lathrop Area
Posts: 1,554
iTrader: 27 / 97%
Default

woo who passed. only missed two questions.
__________________

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 AM
r08ert209cali's Avatar
r08ert209cali r08ert209cali is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lathrop Area
Posts: 1,554
iTrader: 27 / 97%
Default

Imagine that my call sign is kj6xxx as well.
Can not wait to try and get someone on 10 meters with my 8900. Limited range in frequencies for a tech class but should get someone when propigation is right. Too bad I have to sleep all darn day.
__________________

I dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others laying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 05-19-2011, 6:32 AM
ADAM's Avatar
ADAM ADAM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L.A./O.C./R.S./S.B.
Posts: 2,389
iTrader: 117 / 99%
Default

I think most new cali apps are getting kj6
__________________
I said I didn"t have much use for one.Didn"t say I didn"t know how to use it. MATTHEW QUIGLEY
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 05-19-2011, 7:35 AM
Timbob55's Avatar
Timbob55 Timbob55 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicken Town, CA
Posts: 976
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlivingston View Post
How do you like the FT7900's? I'm considering the step up to a mobile unit from my HT and that's on my list of units to go look at.

John
I like 'em just fine. Very easy to program with the software available.

Tim/W6RMC
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 05-19-2011, 1:29 PM
JBolder's Avatar
JBolder JBolder is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLO county
Posts: 4
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

You can go to http://www.eham.net/reviews/ to see what other hams think about a piece of gear. Take the reviews with a grain of salt, some of us hams are getting old and crotchety and opinionated.

John w6wjb / aat9di / aam9ca
__________________
“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
— John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 05-25-2011, 8:31 AM
Dingotech's Avatar
Dingotech Dingotech is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 581
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

Another freshly minted "KJ6..." here- as of Monday.
__________________
"Whether it was fortified wine, jug wine or wine in a box, he helped me make the most of each and every day.”
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 05-27-2011, 5:50 PM
crazy's Avatar
crazy crazy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 909
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

I got my tech and general earlier this year. Changed my call to a vanity. I Use a Wouxun 2m/220mhz and I just bought an Icom IC2100h. That should be up by this weekend.

X6XXX
__________________
.




Legal disclaimer: Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, including me.

Last edited by crazy; 03-19-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 06-15-2011, 7:51 PM
Rexrome Rexrome is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kingsburg, ca
Posts: 62
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

KJ6OVG Tech
Kingsburg, Ca

New to the hobby and enjoying it very much.

VX-8dr
Soon FT-897D
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 06-16-2011, 2:15 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,953
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by r08ert209cali View Post
Imagine that my call sign is kj6xxx as well.
Can not wait to try and get someone on 10 meters with my 8900. Limited range in frequencies for a tech class but should get someone when propigation is right. Too bad I have to sleep all darn day.
I'm in Bakersfield and I just got my 10 meter rig installed on my Jeep. I'm going up to the mountains in the next couple days to try it out... we should see if we can do it...

10 meters has opened up a bit near midnight the past couple of nights.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 PM
normancf22 normancf22 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

W6NCF Amateur Extra
Volunteer with San Jose RACES/ARES/ACS
Vehicle Kenwood TM-D710
Home Kenwood TS-2000 Yaesu FT-8800
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 08-15-2011, 4:54 AM
Darklyte27's Avatar
Darklyte27 Darklyte27 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Bay Area USI Range
Posts: 9,361
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

congrats new hams, we should have a field day of our own sometime.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 08-21-2011, 7:15 AM
kugmo's Avatar
kugmo kugmo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fremont, CA.
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

hi all,

new here

KG6HIQ - tech
VX-5R

mostly listening on the Mt Diablo repeater
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 08-23-2011, 7:09 PM
Darklyte27's Avatar
Darklyte27 Darklyte27 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Bay Area USI Range
Posts: 9,361
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

To all Hams, I still have a Wouxun radio for sale, its new with extended battery with orig box and everything. Just looking to get what I paid for it, 125$ for everything.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 08-31-2011, 7:53 PM
krsrice's Avatar
krsrice krsrice is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 29
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

N1JLX - tech passed back '89.

TMD-700,FTM-350 ,Ic2700

I think about a tiny/micro track next to throw in the saddle bags.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 08-31-2011, 8:15 PM
Targets From Us's Avatar
Targets From Us Targets From Us is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California/Arizona
Posts: 665
iTrader: 6 / 67%
Default

Kj6ovc
Yaesu 8900
Wouxun handheld
Old icom mobile in the garage with an astron power supply.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 09-12-2011, 9:40 PM
Onlyincali Onlyincali is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 624
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Sorry for my ignoranc.....but WTF are you guys talking about? I just read 3 full pages and still dont get it......other than some sort of radio is involved.

1. I see people are taking tests and getting certified....For what? Is this a military thing?

Sorry, if anyone can give me a two sentence explanation i'd be thankful.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM
blackandredwarrior blackandredwarrior is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 119
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyincali View Post
Sorry for my ignoranc.....but WTF are you guys talking about? I just read 3 full pages and still dont get it......other than some sort of radio is involved.

1. I see people are taking tests and getting certified....For what? Is this a military thing?

Sorry, if anyone can give me a two sentence explanation i'd be thankful.
We're all mostly ham radio (amateur radio) operators. People are posting their call signs (generally in the US, you'll have 1 to 2 letters, a number, and 1 to 3 letters.) Another generalization is that "6 calls" are from CA. All new sequential calls issued in CA are will have a 6 as the number.

We're those crazy guys with the big towers in the yard with the big antenna on top, or those driving around in cars that look like porcupines. I'm often asked about my "CB" antennas.

We do all kinds of activities, not just chit catting (called rag chewing). Of course many take part in emergency communications. There's also transmitter hunting (aka radio direction finding, t-hunts, fox hunt) where you try to locate a transmitter (or multiple transmitters.) These skills are helpful for locating downed aircraft (finding their ELT), or your local jammer.

There's also various contests held nearly every weekend. This last weekend I operated as a rover (drove around) and logged 189 contacts over 750 miles and 10 grid squares (1 deg N/S, 2 deg E/W). That's right, I burned $150 in fuel driving around Central California playing radio. It was a very slow contest. Here's a shot of my truck on Saturday evening activing CM86 (a rare grid, that's mostly Santa Cruz. I was parked on the UC Santa Cruz campus on the east side overlooking town. (Only 18 contacts, but I did at least make a local CM86 contact on 446.000 FM!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110910_191240.jpg (82.9 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:49 PM
blackandredwarrior blackandredwarrior is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 119
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Too lazy to find my old post and update it. I changed my call in May, and added a new rig.

I'm now a K6XXX call.

Added an FT-857D to the stable.

FT-7800 (mobile feeding a Comet SBB-7)
FT-60 (Diamond SRH-77CA antenna)
TM-251 (burned out backlights, dead memory battery and speaker)
DR-605 (shack 2m/70cm FM feeding a Diamond X50N)
FT-857D (shack feeds an M2 2m HO loop (6m is still in the box), or the X50N. It's also my contest rig so it's been known to feed a 2M9 (mountain topping) or a stacked pair of HO Loops on 144 and 432 and a single loop on 6m (rover).
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 09-13-2011, 10:33 AM
BillCA's Avatar
BillCA BillCA is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 3,832
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyincali View Post
Sorry for my ignoranc.....but WTF are you guys talking about? I just read 3 full pages and still dont get it......other than some sort of radio is involved.

1. I see people are taking tests and getting certified....For what? Is this a military thing?

Sorry, if anyone can give me a two sentence explanation i'd be thankful.
The subject is HAM radio (Amateur Radio) operations. You've probably heard of CB (26 Mhz) radio or used it. HAM is like CB on steroids. It's more technical and covers more frequencies and power ranges. Low frequency users love to "go the distance" by trying to talk around the world.

HAM radio, unlike CB radio, can span long distances using towers that "repeat" your signal at a higher power level and from a high vantage point. With CB you might send a few miles away, but HAM radio can send signals 5 to 20 miles (depending on terrain) and further with the repeater towers.

HAM radio operators band together in groups or clubs. Many offer their radio skills to serve in times of disaster. Not only local disasters either. During the Tsunami in Japan, international HAMs were communicating to HAM radio operators in the USA, Canada and other parts of the globe. These operators help coordinate rescue needs and provide information when other lines of communication are down.

Most popular radios operate on 2 Meters (140-144Mhz) and 70cm Band (420-450 Mhz). The entire HAM radio spectrum spans from 1.8 Mhz to 1.3 Ghz (1300 Mhz) so there's quite a broad array of equipment out there.

Many use a simple "HT" (handie-talkie) sized radio in urban areas. Others use sophisticated mobile or home transmitters. Prices range from around $150 to over $1200.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FT270R.jpg (8.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg FT8800R.jpg (12.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg H0-008093A.jpg (15.8 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 PM
moleculo moleculo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 682
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Hi all,

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but here I am I have my Extra class ticket and also run a ham radio website similar to calguns called http://www.worldwidedx.com. All radio enthusiasts are welcome to participate and have fun. Hope to see you there!

Tim
__________________
Quote:
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 09-13-2011, 8:57 PM
Skidmark's Avatar
Skidmark Skidmark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-Banned
Posts: 1,719
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post
Hi all,

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but here I am I have my Extra class ticket and also run a ham radio website similar to calguns called http://www.worldwidedx.com. All radio enthusiasts are welcome to participate and have fun. Hope to see you there!

Tim
Hey, great site, thanks for the link. I'm still studying to get my Technician license, and have an ICOM IC-T90A I'm learning my may around, listening in on what the rubber duckie will capture.
__________________
Making guns illegal is as stupid as making drugs or prostitution illegal.

Calguns Foundation contributor
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 PM
blackandredwarrior blackandredwarrior is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 119
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I have a couple corrections to BillCA's post:

Frequencies range from 1.8MHz to well into the microwave range. 10GHz and up is not unheard of. I believe equipment can be had in the 35GHz range.

Prices (new) can range from about $100 for a cheap Chinese HT (aka "walkie talkie") to in the neighborhood of $15,000 for a big contest HF rig. Obviously most of the sales are in the $100-$1500 range.

CB's legal range is 250km. Your are supposed to stop communicating with anyone that's over that distance... or run for than 5 watts... Ham radio range, you want short path, or long path (going the long way around the world.)

Repeaters are all about location. My club repeater is accessible via 50 watts mobile on 2 meter (147.675MHz, and that's a "normal" max power for todays 2meter mobile FM rigs, HTs will go up to about 5 watts) from around Stockton to Bakersfield. I've talked in to it from around Newman on the west side of the valley. I've also reach it from the UC Santa Cruz campus and Black Mountain east of Santa Margarita. The repeater is located above Prather, CA. Sitting on top of a 160' tower on a 4600' mountain has it's advantages.

It's like any hobby, how much money and time do you want to spend on it.

Below was the radio setup in the truck for this passed weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110910_000401.jpg (87.0 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,953
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
To all Hams, I still have a Wouxun radio for sale, its new with extended battery with orig box and everything. Just looking to get what I paid for it, 125$ for everything.
I'm not meaning to thread crap, but since this is not in the classifieds section anyway, I feel safe in replying to this in an effort to save you some time.

Why on earth would anyone buy a radio for what you bought it for new? They can just go buy a new one. That's why you still have it.. :P

If I can go onto powerwerx and buy a brand new one and have it in 2 days for $120 +$5 tax, that comes with a 1 year warranty (which yours does not), why would anyone buy yours?

Your only hope is to find a schmuck that doesn't know any better, or sell it for less.

I would guess that fair market value of a "Like NIB" used radio to be $80-$90. Anything more than that, and you are just wasting your time posting it; keep it as a paper weight.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 AM
BillCA's Avatar
BillCA BillCA is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 3,832
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandredwarrior View Post
I have a couple corrections to BillCA's post:

Frequencies range from 1.8MHz to well into the microwave range. 10GHz and up is not unheard of. I believe equipment can be had in the 35GHz range.
Yeah, I was giving and example of the typical and common bands. For those not into radios, microwave dishes and radios seem like setting up your own SETI search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandredwarrior
CB's legal range is 250km. Your are supposed to stop communicating with anyone that's over that distance... or run for than 5 watts... Ham radio range, you want short path, or long path (going the long way around the world.)
That's 250km with atmospheric skip. While it's possible to use it, it's not a reliable or honest measurement of the CB's effective range. Around urban areas, you might be lucky to get 2-3 miles, depending on terrain and structures. Out in the flatlands of Utah, the best I could do was about 19 miles on a quiet frequency.

Using a 50 watt mobile 2M HAM radio it wasn't much problem to talk to West Wendover from about 5 miles out of SLC (~80 miles). Nice flat terrain, no repeater, but the receiver was on top of a building in Wendover. Locally, my 5w Yaesu HT can hit a repeater that's 12 miles (LOS) near the bay. Sadly, a number of silicon valley freeways are below ground level which plays hob with signals.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandredwarrior
Repeaters are all about location. My club repeater is accessible via 50 watts mobile on 2 meter (147.675MHz, and that's a "normal" max power for todays 2meter mobile FM rigs, HTs will go up to about 5 watts) from around Stockton to Bakersfield. I've talked in to it from around Newman on the west side of the valley. I've also reach it from the UC Santa Cruz campus and Black Mountain east of Santa Margarita. The repeater is located above Prather, CA. Sitting on top of a 160' tower on a 4600' mountain has it's advantages.
Look up the WINSYSTEM online. This system links 71 repeaters via IRLP (internet radio linking project) to create a network that spans most of the west coast, with nodes in the Alaska, the UK, Aussieland, Norway, and more. It's kind of kicky to use a 5w HT to talk to both Alaska and San Diego stations at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 09-19-2011, 1:18 AM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DPRK- Democratic People's Republic of Koreafornia
Posts: 1,697
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

You guys forget that simple 2 meters when utilizing upper sideband mode can go a couple hundred miles. I spoke from los angeles to yuma recently and on only 50 watts!

6 meters goes even further when propagation is good. Not too shabby for VHF communications.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:31 PM
blackandredwarrior blackandredwarrior is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 119
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
You guys forget that simple 2 meters when utilizing upper sideband mode can go a couple hundred miles. I spoke from los angeles to yuma recently and on only 50 watts!

6 meters goes even further when propagation is good. Not too shabby for VHF communications.
I'm just getting into the weak signal V/UHF side of things. Longest shot from home was DM06dt to DM13 on a single HO loop at 15' on 144.200. Those loops are amazing. We're on nightly from about 8:15 onwards doing a roundtable. K6MYC coordinates things up here with 1300 watts and 4x huge yagis (50' booms?) and I think N6EQ coordinates down in the southland.

Building a cheap 6el 2m yagi at the moment.

A friend got me into VHF contesting last year.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 10-01-2011, 2:55 PM
Darklyte27's Avatar
Darklyte27 Darklyte27 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Bay Area USI Range
Posts: 9,361
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

You just wasted your and my time writing and reading your post

73's

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
I'm not meaning to thread crap, but since this is not in the classifieds section anyway, I feel safe in replying to this in an effort to save you some time.

Why on earth would anyone buy a radio for what you bought it for new? They can just go buy a new one. That's why you still have it.. :P

If I can go onto powerwerx and buy a brand new one and have it in 2 days for $120 +$5 tax, that comes with a 1 year warranty (which yours does not), why would anyone buy yours?

Your only hope is to find a schmuck that doesn't know any better, or sell it for less.

I would guess that fair market value of a "Like NIB" used radio to be $80-$90. Anything more than that, and you are just wasting your time posting it; keep it as a paper weight.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 10-04-2011, 9:52 AM
xrMike's Avatar
xrMike xrMike is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: waaaaay South Bay
Posts: 7,271
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

PowerPoint presentations of the different question pools, with correct answers, for use as a memorization aid:

Technician Class license

General Class license

Extra Class license

Host server is really slow. I suggest you right-click and Save Target As to your local system.

That Extra test looks way hard. You might actually have to learn stuff to pass that one, rather than just memorize the answers.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 10-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Skidmark's Avatar
Skidmark Skidmark is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-Banned
Posts: 1,719
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
PowerPoint presentations of the different question pools, with correct answers, for use as a memorization aid:

Technician Class license

General Class license

Extra Class license

Host server is really slow. I suggest you right-click and Save Target As to your local system.

That Extra test looks way hard. You might actually have to learn stuff to pass that one, rather than just memorize the answers.
Great to see. I picked up Gordon West's Technician Class book at HRO, it has all the questions, and am enjoying working through it. It came with a helpful audio CD, too.
__________________
Making guns illegal is as stupid as making drugs or prostitution illegal.

Calguns Foundation contributor
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:20 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.