Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 AM

Default Just took the ASVAB, need help!

So here's the deal i scored a 67 on my AFQT, but all my line scores were above 110. Right now i looking at National Guard as i have a civilian job i don't hate and a new apartment with my fiance but i need help choosing an MOS. I'm currently a Nationally registered EMT, but working as a patrol officer for a private security firm.
My recruiter wants me to take an Intel job, but i only wanted to join to go infantry... Any dudes here work on the Intel side and have gotten to do anything cool?
Sorry this is so long winded just looking for some advice.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone can be 03xx just don't let him pressure you into it.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Depends on how bad you want infantry. They tried to get me to go change to intel from my infantry contract in my first few weeks in boot camp. They had all of us with certain high test scores take a weird intel test because they needed more guys in that mos. I didn't want to do that so I just answered "C" on all multiple choice questions.

I had a lot of fun doing Grunt stuff but after I got out I was wishing I would've learned a better skill than "Blowing stuff up and shooting" that I could make money at as a civi.
That being said I wouldn't change my time as a Grunt though, had a blast and have brothers for life, intel just seemed boring to me.

You could always go Infantry then switch over later or vice versa.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Be aware that a lot of infantry jobs give you absolutely nothing to further your employment after you get out.
Unless you (wisely) used your downtime to get a degree, you might end up back to flipping burgers once you get out.

I was a mechanic in the Air Force and I had several certificates and documented skills that I used to leverage into job offers once I got out.

A buddy of mine was an Army helicopter door gunner. He basically had to start from the bottom when he got out.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:57 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Did you mention your med background?

Last edited by ElvenSoul; 02-23-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Did you mention your med background?
I have brought it to my recruiters attention, however he doesn't seem to interested in it. I brought up 68W once and he just brushed it off.
Old 02-23-2017, 5:16 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanehatesyou View Post
I have brought it to my recruiters attention, however he doesn't seem to interested in it. I brought up 68W once and he just brushed it off.
See if you can talk to a different recruiter. I think your current one is just trying to make quota.

I always hear the army is short of Medical. My newphew Chaise had no problem getting promotions and moving on up in the Army Medical.
Old 02-23-2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Don't let your recruiter brush you off, like others said he might be trying to fill a quota. Intel is a good gig to get if thats what your interested in but if you like the med field combat medic or Navy Corpsman with a Marine unit might be what your looking for. They still train with infantry and do the cool stuff but are there primarily as medics to help the grunts when they get wounded. Good luck and remember don't sign anything unless you get what you want. Talk to other services as well.
Old 02-23-2017, 7:04 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

I will always recommend Intel if you've got the aptitude... lots of valuable skills you can take into government/private sector. You're not a door kicker, but you do get to see the big picture and help guide the door kickers to the target.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 02-23-2017, 8:03 PM

I'm a reservist green side corpsman but wishing I got an intel job, i have an IT civilian job. You want to align your civilian job with your MOS. It just makes advancing your career easier. If you have different paths in your career how cool they maybe you'll hate the other and end up with one. If you're an EMT go for 68w or green side corpsman. You'll do infantry stuff too and may end up in an infantry unit. Pm me if you want more info on being a corpsman.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 9:10 PM

As a former Military Intel SGT I can tell you this is the ONE CHANCE you have in life in getting an easy Top Secret SCI clearance. You'll have to be someone very special to convince an employer to pay for the background.

No matter what your MOS is you have no idea if you are going to do anything cool or completely lame. The upside is my support of Special Forces as an intel analyst is a really kick butt SOCENT (Special Ops Command Central) deployment patch. I can't tell you what I was doing, but most of the time was playing X-BOX with Green Berets, but that's not what it looks like on my sleeve.

The Airforce was sniping away Army Intel Imagery analysts with $100K signing bonuses to change Branches.

You will absolutely not do anything "important" as a Jr. enlisted Intel soldier. Not when the CIA, DIA, NSA, etc are in the area, but you'll always be able to hide from the nonsense of deployments while in the Top Secret room.

I'd recommend being a 35F Intel Analyst or 35G Imagery Analyst the most (these are most transferable in the civilian world), and 35M HUMINT Analyst the least (don't let anyone tell you as a 35M you're going to be interrogating terrorists (not as a Jr Soldier), you'll probably "interview locals" at most).

Disclosure: I left the Intel Branch for Logistics/Quartermaster for promotional opportunities. Intel can be cool, but it's a smaller branch, and promotions for higher ranks gets a lot more competitive.
Old 02-23-2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
The military is probably over strength with 68W's. We had a 10 year E5 medic try and come over to the Intel side.

Don't knock the recruiter, there has to be a vacancy in the USAR/NG before they can send you to that MOS, the active side would be more open to having more MOS's open.
Old 02-24-2017, 2:40 AM

Im Intel in active duty. Depends on your unit. If you can get into one of the MI battalions in CANG go Intel. TRUST ME, You will actually be able to do your job. If you end up at any other unit, you will be doing security work as in...PUSHING PAPERS.

That being said...Dude seriously, if you want INFANTRY ask for it and if they dont give it to you, go to a different recruiter. YOU SERVE HOW YOU WANT TO SERVE. Dont get the short end of the stick right away. Seriously just tell them to F off if they cant give you 11B i think theres 3 or 4 INF BNs in CA there has to be an 11B slot somewhere.
Old 02-24-2017, 5:19 AM

Former infantry Marine here. While an infantry MOS did not directly translate to a marketable civilian skill, my career has directly benefited from my service as a leader of Marines. I work in construction, love what I do and have earned a decent living since I got out of the Corps. Having the words "United States Marine" on my resume has helped in an immeasurable way. Go with what inspires you.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

18D.

Good Medicine, Bad Places.

Do No Harm, Do Know Harm.

"SA MC Operator. Cuz, you gotta Operate when you're cruzin' the couch with the vodka!"--XDJYo
Old 02-24-2017, 10:08 PM

My recruiter has been pretty awesome, we just haven't spoken about MOS's a lot. i feel like the medical field (despite being my relevant knowledge at this point) is a pretty small area of employment for emergency medical, and i certainly don't want to be a damn doctor!
Old 02-24-2017, 10:09 PM

Also thank you all for the heads up, some good info here.
Is airborne a possibility in the intel field?
Old 02-25-2017, 5:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As mentioned by others, shop recruiters until you get what YOU want in your contract. That being said, going MI in the Army was the best thing that I could have done. I got to spend almost a year and a half in postcard-scenic Monterey learning the foreign language I wanted at what is arguably the best language school in the world, plus another six months at Intel school (at an Air Force base) which was mostly more specialized language training. At the time, I got the fattest initial enlistment bonus available. After finishing Basic, Language School, and Intel School, I had less than two years left on my active duty period and I had a TS/SCI clearance.

After going through all that intensive training, college was a breeze after I got out. Many years later, my military experience...specifically my language training and job in Intel...combined with other skills gained later, resulted in my being able to deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan as a civilian contractor employee. That was the greatest experience in my life in so many ways...one that will probably resume again soon.

MI in the Army was great for me and many others...it led many of us down paths that we otherwise would not have traveled. That being said, a Combat Medic MOS would also have many very applicable civilian equivalents. Maybe try to get a stab at SF selection in your contract...SF medics are some of the most highly trained guys in the world and they definitely get to use their skills in today's world.

Whatever you do, make sure you get what you want in your contract and make sure you read it and understand it. If it is not in writing, do not expect to "just sign up for it later." Good luck!

Old 02-25-2017, 9:20 PM

Seeing you have a background in medical (EMT), ever consider trying out for airforce Pararescue? Theres a guard base in San Jose. It wont be easy and will eat up 2 years of your life on training but itll be worth it
Old 02-26-2017, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So here's the deal i scored a 67 on my AFQT, but all my line scores were above 110. Right now i looking at National Guard as i have a civilian job i don't hate and a new apartment with my fiance but i need help choosing an MOS. I'm currently a Nationally registered EMT, but working as a patrol officer for a private security firm.
My recruiter wants me to take an Intel job, but i only wanted to join to go infantry... Any dudes here work on the Intel side and have gotten to do anything cool?
Sorry this is so long winded just looking for some advice.

Dude Infantry doesn't translate much in the civilian world other than security and police which you're already doing. If you're already NREMT certified, you can skip a large portion of combat medic school at Fort Sam Huston. Dust off aka flight medic come to mind, or line medic with infantry.

Infantry is short term goal, most soldiers do not survive 20 years of 11B or 0311 in the Corps career wise. Meaning you can't be a grunt forever and eventually will have to move up into admin, operations or support anyways.

The Guard is great if you have a civilian job that pays well and don't mind the monthly drill " Chinese fire drill", meaning you wear two hats that comes along with it. If you have a crap job and just want to use it to pay for school, you can barley skate by. Otherwise just go active duty and collect BAH and the benefits, your finance will be much happier. She won't be wondering why you aren't being paid ****, but are in the military.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 02-26-2017 at 8:08 PM..
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just remember. If you go 68W, when you get out you will only be an EMT, until you go to medic school.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Go intel, your security clearance is the single greatest personal asset you can aquire in the military. It's better than any certificate or training. Intel is an easy way to get it, but other jobs can get them too.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamble View Post
Just remember. If you go 68W, when you get out you will only be an EMT, until you go to medic school.
I believe they offer transitional programs now. Yes true a combat medic is essentially a EMT-I or intermediate or advanced now, because they have to start IV's and push narcs like morphine,etc. On paper you're just a NREMT Basic. The military just grants you a exception with a expanded scope of practice.

Air Force PJ's Pararescue are EMT-Paramedics along with Army 18D's aka SF Medics.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 02-27-2017 at 11:38 PM..
Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Your recruiter is a salesman, you are the buyer. Buy what you want, not what he wants to sell you. After the regular Army, I went into the CANG and became the Bn Retention NCO. I also worked as a recruiter. Don't sign a contract until you are happy with what you get.
Your choice is be in the dirt or don't be in the dirt.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 02-28-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Is airborne a possibility in the intel field?
Only if you are active duty.

At Intel School active duty Special Forces recruiters will come to your class and try and recruit you to support SF units. NO, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE A GREEN BERET this way. But you'd need to be airborne qualified to be assigned to them and support their missions.

However, they ONLY DO THIS FOR ACTIVE DUTY, and the window is ONLY OPEN early on during intel school BEFORE YOU ARE ASSIGNED TO YOUR ACTIVE UNIT.

Since reservists and NG already know the unit they are assigned to they can't be pulled to support SF. Once you are assigned your unit you are locked in.

It's on the soldier to get your airborne medical processed before you can even be considered. And you have to have a killer PT score.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Only if you are active duty.

At Intel School active duty Special Forces recruiters will come to your class and try and recruit you to support SF units. NO, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE A GREEN BERET this way. But you'd need to be airborne qualified to be assigned to them and support their missions.

However, they ONLY DO THIS FOR ACTIVE DUTY, and the window is ONLY OPEN early on during intel school BEFORE YOU ARE ASSIGNED TO YOUR ACTIVE UNIT.

Since reservists and NG already know the unit they are assigned to they can't be pulled to support SF. Once you are assigned your unit you are locked in.

It's on the soldier to get your airborne medical processed before you can even be considered. And you have to have a killer PT score.

Is there any MOS in the Guard that I would have even an option for airborne or ranger schools?
Old 03-01-2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Is there any MOS in the Guard that I would have even an option for airborne or ranger schools?
Civil Affairs, but that's not an entry level MOS because they support special forces (i.e. you have to already be in, and come from another MOS).

OR!!!!!!!!!!!

National Guard in a combat MOS like infantry.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:24 PM

Whatever you choose, you choose, don't let your recruiter talk you into anything. Either take a job which will benefit you in the civilian world, or take a job which will be fun as hell that you'd never be able to do as a civilian.

As far as schools go, California is broke as ****, and they don't like to send you to hooah schools unless your MOS needs it. Its very difficult to get ranger or airborne unless you're SF. If you go infantry you may be able get one.

I myself am a Blackhawk Crew Chief. The only hooah schools they offer us are air assault, but its rare. And 99% of the time the state doesnt have the money to send us.
Old 03-02-2017, 1:56 AM

research every MOS youre interested in. there's way more info nowadays compared to when I enlisted like 14 years ago lol
Old 03-02-2017, 2:20 AM
Veteran Member

Follow you gut...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-02-2017, 3:40 AM

Go through the MOS booklet and look into everything that peaks your interest.

Don't let the recruiter push you into anything you're not sure of like everyone has said.

Back when I took the ASVAB the recruiter said I qualified for any job in the Army but he kept trying to push me towards being an MP when I told him I wasn't feeling that.

If you don't want Intel and they keep ramming it down your throat talk with another recruiter.
Also check out reserves with other branches
Old 03-02-2017, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal45 View Post
Go through the MOS booklet and look into everything that peaks your interest.

Don't let the recruiter push you into anything you're not sure of like everyone has said.

Back when I took the ASVAB the recruiter said I qualified for any job in the Army but he kept trying to push me towards being an MP when I told him I wasn't feeling that.

If you don't want Intel and they keep ramming it down your throat talk with another recruiter.
Also check out reserves with other branches

I'm definitely interested in intel, but my recruiter won't talk with me about an MOS, every time i reach out with questions about an MOS he just tells me to go to YouTube -___-

Anyone know anything about 35M? Also what will I be facing for the security clearance?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 AM

I have two thoughts, specific to the CA NG:

1) if you want to go airborne, you MUST make sure that's in your contract or it's almost certainly not going to happen. It's not a matter of later being like "hey I have tons of time over the next few months, how about I go to jump school?" and they're like "rad! good motivation, you'll ship next week." No way, it's major dollars and cents and if it's not in your contract it's very unlikely to happen.

2) I hear you on having an MOS that translates into something and people are definitely right about the value of a TS clearance or some 68W experience. I'm not an 11B, but it can never hurt to start your army career as a grunt and after three years you can re-enlist as something else. I've never re-enlisted though and I suspect it's probably harder to get what you want the second time around so talk to others about that.

I also echo what others say about CA being broke and that you should consider going active duty as well.
Old 03-02-2017, 5:02 PM

35M sounds awesome. Going into it you're like, damn, im going to be james bond. Get that out of your head right away haha. Also talk to a different recruiter, if he wont help you. I would suggest going to talk to and visit the unit which you'd go to, before joining. You can find out the unit by calling your recruiter, asking where the closest units are located for your specific MOS of interest. They will have way more advise for you then the recruiter will and may be able to get you more of what you're interested in as far as schools.
Old 03-03-2017, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Time to get a new recruiter since it's obvious to the most casual observer that this one is working for his/her best interest and not yours.

And, like the other poster said, ANYONE can be an 11x series infantry, get something that either adds to your medical background or gives you some other experience that DIRECTLY relates to a civilian occupation, anything else is a BIG waste of time as my sister's kid just found out after 4 years in the Marines.
Old 03-03-2017, 8:49 AM

I'm sitting here right now looking at the Vacancy Roster for California USAR.

There are twice as many 35F vacancies as there are 35M slots at the E3/E4 level. Plenty in Northern and plenty in Southern. So it doesn't matter where you are.

So I don't know why the recruiter is so in love with 35M.

However, at the rank of SGT the inverse is true, there are more 35M vacancies as there are 35F vacancies.

Sooooo, it might be easier to make SGT as a 35M than a 35F.

Now, I say that, but the Army isn't the best at future planning. When I was in Intel I was a 35F, and all I had to do was breath and I promoted to SGT.

The Army was flush with 35M's and it was impossible to get SGT for them. So they cut all their 35M positions, and it back fired. As I left Intel there were a bazillion 35M vacancies at the E3 level, and now they blew it, and didn't foster the Jr soldier 35M's and it looks like there is no one around to promote to SGT.

It's always a crap shoot beyond your first enlistment.

I can tell you the 35M's in my Intel unit sit around doing nothing. At least the 35F's and 35G's have access to computers and can work on stuff that has marginal value during Drill weekends.
Old 03-03-2017, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Anyone know anything about 35M? Also what will I be facing for the security clearance?
per the army website

***Screen human intelligence sources and documents

TRANSLATION: As an E4 take field reports and put them into the system.

***Debrief and interrogate human intelligence sources

TRANSLATION: As an E4 visit the local population and see if there is anything worth writing about in a field report.

***Participate in human intelligence operations

TRANSLATION: As an E4, you're the guy operating the finger print scanner thingy and making profiles in the database on the random population. You might be the last man on an entry team collecting intelligence on a target house, but you'll be the guy holding the bag open for the SGT 35M who is deciding what is worth taking.

***Analyze and prepare intelligence reports:

TRANSLATION: As an E4 you'll take all the mind numbing stuff you did above and put it in a written report. These reports have to be formatted a special way, and about 90% of the content is simply the formatting.

When back home at Drill Weekends there is nothing for you to do in regard to Intel.

You ever see movies where there is a military guy interrogating the Terrorist? He's a 35M. He's also probably an E7+

That all said, 35M is a gateway toward 35L (Counter Intelligence) which is a non entry MOS.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
per the army website

***Screen human intelligence sources and documents

TRANSLATION: As an E4 take field reports and put them into the system.

***Debrief and interrogate human intelligence sources

TRANSLATION: As an E4 visit the local population and see if there is anything worth writing about in a field report.

***Participate in human intelligence operations

TRANSLATION: As an E4, you're the guy operating the finger print scanner thingy and making profiles in the database on the random population. You might be the last man on an entry team collecting intelligence on a target house, but you'll be the guy holding the bag open for the SGT 35M who is deciding what is worth taking.

***Analyze and prepare intelligence reports:

TRANSLATION: As an E4 you'll take all the mind numbing stuff you did above and put it in a written report. These reports have to be formatted a special way, and about 90% of the content is simply the formatting.

When back home at Drill Weekends there is nothing for you to do in regard to Intel.

You ever see movies where there is a military guy interrogating the Terrorist? He's a 35M. He's also probably an E7+

That all said, 35M is a gateway toward 35L (Counter Intelligence) which is a non entry MOS.

If I got 35M what would i be looking at for the security clearance? What questions will be asked and what could bar me from completing AIT?
Old 03-04-2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
If I got 35M what would i be looking at for the security clearance? What questions will be asked and what could bar me from completing AIT?
You'll have to fill out an SF 86.

https://www.gsa.gov/portal/forms/download/116390

It's 120+ pages. It's not trivial. Start filling it out now.

You'll turn that in, and the investigators will take it from there. It's not the questions on the SF 86 they ask you that might make you uncomfortable, it's the questions they ask others in your past about you and the rabbit hole they might go down with those answers.

A Top Secret / Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) is about as high as it gets. It means you have authorization to have accesses to any and all sensitive information regarding National Security of the USA. You don't get access to everything of course, that's on a need to know, but the TS part of it means you are good to go, in the case you are Need To Know.

You wont have to do a polygraph, but as you go up in the ranks of Intel and depending on what you decide to do and take on during that path you might have to take a Polygraph.

You wont step a foot into AIT until you are given the clearance. Now, that doesn't mean you wont start Basic Training, it just means you're pretty jacked if you do ship to Basic, and they don't award you the clearance. In that case, lets just hope there is a Cook vacancy open the army can put you in.

Now, I will say, I've seen clearances NOT GIVEN to folks already in the Army because they were less than forth coming with the investigators. Basically a guy was hiding his loser family members from the investigator.

Remember, it's just easier for the investigator to just give you a No-Go, than mess around trying to work around you hiding anything. He's not there to put you in jail, he just there to find your loyalties, and potential weaknesses that could be used to compromise you.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Snoopy47 covered it pretty well. Definitely download the form and start filling it out. More than anything, fill it out completely and accurately. Lying on that form will definitely come back to bite you. Some of the most common things that will affect you getting your Clearance...drug use, criminal activity, foreign contacts, unresolved debt...worse than any of them though is lying about it and hoping they don't uncover it. If you do have anything negative, better to disclose it up front. It may not even affect you depending on when it happened and the severity or you may need to do something to resolve it before you can proceed, but don't fail to disclose anything.

Last edited by Abu Riyah; 03-05-2017 at 8:08 AM.. Reason: Spelling