Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-15-2019, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

Default Windows 10... hate it

Windows 10 has been a massive headache. I've never had so many problems with an OS before.

Most recent problem is the printer going offline, it happens all the time both on my PC and a friends PC he purchased at Costco.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
Old 06-15-2019, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

Restart your print spooler. Do not let windows manage your printers.
Old 06-15-2019, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

How funny. Our department just got Win10 installed in April & the printers are now randomly suiciding all the time.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 06-15-2019, 3:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus View Post
Windows 10 has been a massive headache. I've never had so many problems with an OS before.

Most recent problem is the printer going offline, it happens all the time both on my PC and a friends PC he purchased at Costco.

ta da.

Old 06-15-2019, 3:22 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

^^^^ The correct answer

Old 06-15-2019, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

I’m going to give apple a shot and see how it goes.
Old 06-15-2019, 5:48 PM

Support for Windows 7 is supposed to end next year.
Old 06-15-2019, 5:52 PM

install printer drivers for your printer
Old 06-15-2019, 9:27 PM
Banned

Why doesn't Microsoft concentrate on making Windows 1 actually work?

I hate computers or rather what they have become. Windows works occasionally, after telling to do the same thing over a few times. Windows is supremely unreliable. It has 1000 functions and only a few really work.

As I say, computers bore me but I have written machine language, assembly language, Cobal, and my favorite Fortran in addition to using proprietary languages of various employers. Fortran works every time. It is easy, any fool can do it.

Microsoft is 3/4 of a program with holes in it. One hole is security. It is like buying Cadillac with three wheels vs. a VW with four. Microsoft is a fraud and Microsoft should be sued out of existence.

In answer to your printer question, I gave up long ago. When I want something printed I go to the library and pay 15 cents per page. They buy paper, toner, maintain the printer and deal with a flawed program. It is worth it.
Old 06-15-2019, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer View Post
install printer drivers for your printer
Actually, this is the correct answer.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolus View Post

It seems to happen with some computers more than others. First thing; usually unplugging the usb cable and reattaching will get it going w/o a restart or manually setting the printer up again.

But since I saw it with some computers (microsoft surface cough cough)... I'd try the drivers and all the updates (bios, everything you can get). All of them including a dock (which can sometimes be a few different ones). If it is something you can add a card to I'd go parallel printer if nothing else works. If you cannot add a card; try a printer with wireless or even network (plugged into your router).
Old 06-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
funny; microsoft drivers have been causing problems since they started making them for others products... and now with their own computer products too.
Old 06-16-2019, 3:53 AM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hope you wrote COBOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbekannt View Post
Why doesn't Microsoft concentrate on making Windows 1 actually work?

I hate computers or rather what they have become. Windows works occasionally, after telling to do the same thing over a few times. Windows is supremely unreliable. It has 1000 functions and only a few really work.

As I say, computers bore me but I have written machine language, assembly language, Cobal, and my favorite Fortran in addition to using proprietary languages of various employers. Fortran works every time. It is easy, any fool can do it.

Microsoft is 3/4 of a program with holes in it. One hole is security. It is like buying Cadillac with three wheels vs. a VW with four. Microsoft is a fraud and Microsoft should be sued out of existence.

In answer to your printer question, I gave up long ago. When I want something printed I go to the library and pay 15 cents per page. They buy paper, toner, maintain the printer and deal with a flawed program. It is worth it.
Old 06-16-2019, 8:40 AM

I don't use WinX. I have one computer (of MANY) that is a WinX machine. It is used strictly for experimenting with WinX and how to disable various problems with it. So far, I've learned how to:

Get RID of Cortana, not just disable through windows.
Get RID of Edge, not just disable through windows.
Completely control WinX updates, not just "delaying" them.
Get RID of the Telemetry (Complicated, trying to simplify).

There is a lot more I've learned, but I'm keeping those to myself for now.

I use Win7pro, and Win8.1. I have one computer running Linux Mint.

If I could play all my games, and use all my software on Linux Mint, I'd never touch another Windows machine. Before anyone says "There are ways", I'm not exactly a Linux n00b (but not "expert"). If there's a way, I've researched it, and I've tried it.
I can get roughly 25% of my games running ok on Mint (Ok, is NOT good enough), and perhaps 50% of my other software. This isn't acceptable, and the Linux equivalent for these, are inadequate.

This is the LONGEST I've poked at an O/S (WinX), before deciding to use it or not, and for good reason.

I don't see myself jumping on the WinX band wagon any time soon, if at all.

Last edited by Dragunov; 06-16-2019 at 8:49 AM..
Old 06-16-2019, 10:09 AM

As the poster above said, if a person has the time and willingness to experiment with Linux Mint, Windows 10 soon disappears. I bought an inexpensive Win 10 laptop to try, and soon burned Win 10 off and installed Linux Mint 18. Getting things working was comparatively easy, although WiFi printer setup had some snags. Even the Hide My @$$ VPN setup was fairly easy following the HMA Linux instructions. Then I moved to a Windows 7 PC, by installing a blank HDD, and disconnecting the Win 7 HDD. This was a home built AMD FX 4 core CPU on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard. Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop recognized all the hardware and loaded drivers, including the video board, network card, monitor (an HDMI TV at the time). Still had to fiddle with the printer setup, but Canon had an install app available that made it easier.

Now I'll install another HDD on my wife's PC with a HDD switch and load the second one with Linux Mint so she can learn how it works, while falling back to Win 7 until she does.

When things go wrong, or you goof up on the setup, it's easy to just reformat the Mint HDD and start over. Then again we have seven PC's and can research solutions on anything from the aforementioned Linux laptop to Win XP or Win 7 machines over the Internet. I only play a few card games, and WINE works fine for this, although some users set up a virtual Windows environment, which is more than I need.

Last edited by Wrangler John; 06-16-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Old 06-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Like other windows products too many options and only a few relevant things to use. Cortana still is a dog and the printer needs work.

Remember Bill Gates is out and already made his bones. Dont expect breakthru from MS
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 06-16-2019, 4:09 PM

I find Win10 to be incredibly unstable and it appears to have built-in viruses by design. For example, there is something called 'windows telemetry' that tries to run all the time. There is also 'windows problem reporting' that I constantly have to kill using task manager. This is on the work machine. Home, personal machine, still running XP Pro SP3. And I love being freed from the tyranny of perpetual updates.
Old 06-16-2019, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

I have to use Windows 10. My CAD program requires it. Fortunately no problems.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 06-16-2019, 5:23 PM

I have zero issues with Windows 10.
Most of the problems are hardware and driver issues from what I see.
Old 06-16-2019, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
I have zero issues with Windows 10.
Most of the problems are hardware and driver issues from what I see.
That and the user getting used to different ways of doing things.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 06-16-2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Yup. Don't let windows install generic drivers for your hardware. Download the latest driver from the manufacturer's website. I have win10 on one of my computers and have had ZERO problems for a couple of years now.
Old 06-16-2019, 9:21 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezard View Post
Support for Windows 7 is supposed to end next year.
They said support for Win XP would end in 2014. You could still get updates for embedded versions through 4/2019 and they could be installed on regular XP.

Also, MS released a security patch for Win XP last month, fancy that. And MS is offering paid support for Win 7 to volume license customers on a per machine basis beyond 2020. Those updates will probably find a way to regular users.

Good OSes die hard. They can pry Win 7 from my cold dead hands, or give me something better than this tile OS crap that comes with bloatware extraordinaire and the jankiest update system ever

Old 06-16-2019, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlazito View Post
Yup. Don't let windows install generic drivers for your hardware. Download the latest driver from the manufacturer's website. I have win10 on one of my computers and have had ZERO problems for a couple of years now.
Same here. The only issues I ever had was with HP printer not wanting to communicate over Wi-Fi with my desktop (HP problem), eventually solved it.
Old 06-17-2019, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Same here. The only issues I ever had was with HP printer not wanting to communicate over Wi-Fi with my desktop (HP problem), eventually solved it.
One reason I dislike WinX, is because it doesn't play nicely with HP Wi-Fi drivers, HP Print spooler, HP USB. A lot of my customers have those HP15 "budget" laptops (with the touchscreen). Honestly, They're not bad little computers, unlike the rest of the HP lineup, as long as you can get them running on Win7, or Win8.1. WinX need not apply with these little machines.
Old 06-17-2019, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
They said support for Win XP would end in 2014. You could still get updates for embedded versions through 4/2019 and they could be installed on regular XP.

Also, MS released a security patch for Win XP last month, fancy that. And MS is offering paid support for Win 7 to volume license customers on a per machine basis beyond 2020. Those updates will probably find a way to regular users.
How did you get the XP Pro patch? I haven't seen any updates in 2 years or so.
Old 06-17-2019, 9:49 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom-lover View Post
How did you get the XP Pro patch? I haven't seen any updates in 2 years or so.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-cve-2019-0708

And with a reg tweak, you can also install these updates, which have been issued monthly over the past years (but finally stopped 4/2019)

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...ws+XP+Embedded

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-17-2019 at 9:51 AM..
Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I got off the MS teat a long time ago when Linux distros became more user friendly and hw compatible. Currently using Mint

I still have an MS 7 pro and XP pro machines in service for proprietary software. Okay they're for games.

The last HP/MSwin10 machine I used had so much sw bloat on it that it had a hard time getting out of it's own way.

PC decrapifier and Anti beacon plus cleared up a lot of problems. I'd start there OP.
https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
https://www.safer-networking.org/pro...t-anti-beacon/
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-17-2019, 10:33 AM

I have been using Win 10 for years on various endpoints. I have no issues. My endpoints are business/enterprise grade and not consumer. I also keep drivers and firmware up to date. I do not install crap-ware, I stick to what I need for work. One home desktop does have various FPS on the various platforms, no issues with it. I do not print. Most of the issue/problems we see are either related to the user, the user installing crap or crap drivers and peripherals. Most users should be locked out of the ability to install anything on their own.
Old 06-17-2019, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been running Windows 10 (albeit always Win 10 PRO) since it was first available and have not had any issues with the exception of one older and cheaper HP printer that connected through USB. Currently none of the USB or wifi HP printers I've installed have had any issues. Once in a blue moon the wifi printer may lose it's scanner connection and either a reboot or running HP's Print and Scan Doctor software will set everything right again. Typically, I don't let Windows choose the drivers. For all devices, I always go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-17-2019, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
One reason I dislike WinX, is because it doesn't play nicely with HP Wi-Fi drivers, HP Print spooler, HP USB. A lot of my customers have those HP15 "budget" laptops (with the touchscreen). Honestly, They're not bad little computers, unlike the rest of the HP lineup, as long as you can get them running on Win7, or Win8.1. WinX need not apply with these little machines.
The HP printer software/drivers are the problem, not Windows 10 in this case. HP does not like updating their printer software/drivers, last time any have been updated for my printer was couple of years ago and I check frequenly.
Old 06-18-2019, 4:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Many applications are Windows only, especially specialized business applications.

Buy an overpriced Mac, then buy Windows too, then specialized software, is a bit pricey when you can just buy a windows PC for under $1000 (might be about $500-$700 now for most people's requirements, including Windows). You'd be suprised to learn how many businesses have done this because they wanted to look trendy with Macs and wasted THOUSANDS of dollars. Make sure to use an SSD.

Last edited by the86d; 06-19-2019 at 3:15 AM..
Old 06-18-2019, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I don't use WinX. I have one computer (of MANY) that is a WinX machine. It is used strictly for experimenting with WinX and how to disable various problems with it. So far, I've learned how to:

Get RID of Cortana, not just disable through windows.
How did you get rid of that spyware? Everything I've read on it says it cannot be done. Even if you delete all traces, it just gets reinstalled the next time Windows does an update.
Old 06-18-2019, 9:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post

Good OSes die hard. They can pry Win 7 from my cold dead hands, or give me something better than this tile OS crap that comes with bloatware extraordinaire and the jankiest update system ever
I would use XP till the end of time if I could. But I can't even find browsers that work. Firefox won't work, other than an old version that won't work with many webpages. It's only going to get worse over time as HTML8 or 9 comes out and everyone starts using it.
Old 06-18-2019, 9:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I would use XP till the end of time if I could. But I can't even find browsers that work. Firefox won't work, other than an old version that won't work with many webpages. It's only going to get worse over time as HTML8 or 9 comes out and everyone starts using it.
You are well primed to delve into Linux Mint or Ubuntu for a modern secure OS on an old machine.

If you need a desk/laptop machine for www surfing/banking that's secure and stable, the live cd version of the Linux OS is the try before you install it version. Gives you a chance to see if it's good for you without changing anything you have currently.

Even dual booting to either OS win/linux on the same dive is easy. Keep both and there's nothing to give up.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you like XP you will like Win 7, which should still have a few good years left before you start running in to the same problems.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
As someone else mentioned, switch to Windows 7. I was a big fan of XP Pro and was nervous as hell when the company I worked for switched to Windows 7. I was pleasantly surprised. Very user friendly and very stable.

I was similarly worried about the switch to Windows 10 but other than finding other ways to do things, it's been very stable and reliable as well. Plus it's the only operating system I can use to run the latest Solidworks.

Old 06-18-2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom-lover View Post
I find Win10 to be incredibly unstable and it appears to have built-in viruses by design. For example, there is something called 'windows telemetry' that tries to run all the time. There is also 'windows problem reporting' that I constantly have to kill using task manager. This is on the work machine. Home, personal machine, still running XP Pro SP3. And I love being freed from the tyranny of perpetual updates.
Windows 10 is no less stable than Windows 7. Actually for me it's more stable. Built in viruses? That's ludicrous and if that were the case, Microsoft would have been sued out of existence by now.

The only issues I've seen people have with Windows 10 are due to non technical people not knowing what they're doing, or just being unwilling and unable to adapt to changes and advances in technology. You just have to learn how to use it and tweak it to your liking.

The only thing you gain by being "freed from the tyranny of perpetual updates" is a highly insecure system. Every OS in existence has perpetual updates, because there will always be hackers finding new ways to exploit systems. Windows XP has more holes than a cheese grater, even fully patched. It's been exploited to death. It's one of the least secure OSes you can run.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 3:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
...Windows XP has more holes than a cheese grater, even fully patched. It's been exploited to death. It's one of the least secure OSes you can run.
NOT as bad as Dells SHIPPING with Windows 2000, and the default filesystem was FAT32, so a UNC to the machine's default C$ share gave FC to everything on the drive as I recall, with no authentication.
Old 06-19-2019, 7:37 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I had to help my in-laws yesterday and it's maddening to know what you need to do but you can't find the right "folder" or how to navigate to it to start. Windows X needs to be put down like a rabid down and go back to the WIn 7 / 8 start menu.

Signed,
Guy who hates doing in-law IT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 06-19-2019, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

scary that so many of you are still on XP. that OS died for several reasons with security being at the top. win 7 is fine to migrate from but laughable that some would revert back from 10 to 7 on purpose. 10 is far more stable and requires far less reboots than 7 as a whole.

if youre having problems with 10, your issues are with software or drivers that you are running. not the OS.

many of the complaints here are about cortana and telemetry, all of these can be switched off simply. cortana and telemetry are designed to increase functionality and performance.

i disable both as a default but still recommend to basic users that they keep them enabled as it will help them in the long run once they start to understand how to use the tools.

if you feel you must disable:

https://www.askvg.com/guide-best-pri...or-windows-10/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
I had to help my in-laws yesterday and it's maddening to know what you need to do but you can't find the right "folder" or how to navigate to it to start. Windows X needs to be put down like a rabid down and go back to the WIn 7 / 8 start menu.

Signed,
Guy who hates doing in-law IT.
win 10 just requires you to learn windows and get accustomed to using the search functionality. it almost wholly relies on search these days and then customizing.

once you understand how everything is laid out, its actually far more efficient than 7.