Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-11-2022, 8:29 AM

Default Monterey county

I tried ro ask my newbie questions in the existing Monterey thread but it hasn't been posted in for over 124 days, so it won't allow any new posts.

Anyway.....I had considered applying years ago, posted some questions on here, and never actually applied. I'm now tossing the idea around again and have a couple more questions.
I've noticed through reading that the process is not only handled by the Sheriff's department, but in some places the City PD can do it? Is that true of all cities (Monterey, Seaside, PG etc.), and if that is an option, is there any reason to apply through the Sherrif vs the City PD? How much time does one have to complete the 8 hours of training prior to applying for the CCW permit?

I see this wording is still on the Sheriffs site, "At some point during your application process, a background investigator will contact a sampling of your neighbors, family and co-workers to determine your suitability to carry a concealed weapon. We will advise the people we contact of the reason for the contact, and ask them if they would recommend you be issued a CCW permit.". That has always seemed like a ridicules thing to do for various reasons. Are they actually doing this?

Last edited by 02Caltaco; 10-11-2022 at 9:38 AM..
Old 10-20-2022, 11:22 AM

They no longer talk to your neighbors or co-workers. You will be asked to provide 4 personal references for them to call. Overall the process is straight forward and the Sheriffs Department is very helpful. I believe all of Monterey county CCW is handled by the Sheriff and not by the cities. You should contact 831 Shooter - they are one of the CCW course providers in Monterey County and they should be able to answer all your questions.
Old 10-20-2022, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleits69 View Post
They no longer talk to your neighbors or co-workers. You will be asked to provide 4 personal references for them to call. Overall the process is straight forward and the Sheriffs Department is very helpful. I believe all of Monterey county CCW is handled by the Sheriff and not by the cities. You should contact 831 Shooter - they are one of the CCW course providers in Monterey County and they should be able to answer all your questions.
Asking for references is ridiculous. There is no objective standard for what is a good reference and what isn't.