Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 8:22 PM

Has anyone been told by Det. Wright that you can only use 10 rd mags?
Old 09-16-2010, 9:14 PM

im a bit confused, has the 3rd member been selected yet for the CCW approval/denial team?
Old 09-16-2010, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
I'll see you Tuesday, got my letter today. I'll miss having my permit for the GRPC by a week, dang it.
JB
I wondering if any other applicants have a CCW for another state. I have yet to get a letter and cannot think of a reason for the delay. Applied 7/15, with a documented threat attempt with a deadly weapon. All relevant court documents submitted. During my interview 33 days later a larger than expected time was spent inquiring about my out of state CCW license. Unusual questions that I would expect a CCW detective to already be educated about.

I do have a question: Is there any reason an FBI background check for UTAH would be any different than the one Sacramento does? Other than GC and range requirement is there ANY other factor that disqualifies a qualified UTAH holder.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
JB
I wondering if any other applicants have a CCW for another state. I have yet to get a letter and cannot think of a reason for the delay. Applied 7/15, with a documented threat attempt with a deadly weapon. All relevant court documents submitted. During my interview 33 days later a larger than expected time was spent inquiring about my out of state CCW license. Unusual questions that I would expect a CCW detective to already be educated about.

I do have a question: Is there any reason an FBI background check for UTAH would be any different than the one Sacramento does? Other than GC and range requirement is there ANY other factor that disqualifies a qualified UTAH holder.
I'm not going to claim to understand a thing about how the SO is processing apps. I don't have any other permits, so I can't address that but I was asked if I had any. All I can say for sure is that they are not using FIFO for permits. I just jump through whatever flaming hoop they tell me to like a good monkey.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
JB

Can't claim to understand the current system, but I also have a Utah non-resident permit. It was discussed briefly in interview, but did not hold up my processing.
Old 09-17-2010, 5:36 AM

Quote:
I'm not going to claim to understand a thing about how the SO is processing apps. I don't have any other permits, so I can't address that but I was asked if I had any. All I can say for sure is that they are not using FIFO for permits. I just jump through whatever flaming hoop they tell me to like a good monkey.
Just like the rest of us!
Old 09-17-2010, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paindoc View Post
Can't claim to understand the current system, but I also have a Utah non-resident permit. It was discussed briefly in interview, but did not hold up my processing.
Just curious, Where on the application does it ask for out of state LTC? There is a question about applying for CCWs and I interpreted that to mean within the state of CA. California is it's own island and does not recognize any other state LTC so I didn't even mention mine from NV, UT and FL. Didn't try to hide anything, just didn't think about them and the only question is very ambiguous and I didn't think it was applicable.

Well we will see what happens.
Old 09-17-2010, 6:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactech View Post
im a bit confused, has the 3rd member been selected yet for the CCW approval/denial team?
No. I don't know why you're confused. Some other recent applicants got through the process just before one member of the committee retired so maybe posts from those guys are confusing you. I wish I had applied a month earlier but held off until I bought what I expect to be my primary carry weapon before applying. I don't expect the Sheriff to take too long to appoint someone. In my opinion, the hoops we have to jump through aren't too bad and everyone I've dealt with thus far have been very nice to deal with. I'd say that my interview with Detective Wright was very much like a chat between me and a buddy.
Old 09-17-2010, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB35 View Post
Just curious, Where on the application does it ask for out of state LTC? There is a question about applying for CCWs and I interpreted that to mean within the state of CA. California is it's own island and does not recognize any other state LTC so I didn't even mention mine from NV, UT and FL. Didn't try to hide anything, just didn't think about them and the only question is very ambiguous and I didn't think it was applicable.

Well we will see what happens.
The Utah permit issue came up during the interview with Det. Wright. The question is not on the CCW app IIRC.
Old 09-17-2010, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Utah permit issue came up during the interview with Det. Wright. The question is not on the CCW app IIRC.

Page 3 section 2

http://www.sacsheriff.com/forms/documents/ccw_app.pdf

Section 2 – Applicant Clearance Questions
1. Do you now have, or have you ever had a license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW)?
No_____Yes_____ (If yes, please indicate below. Use additional pages if necessary.)
Issuing Agency Issue Date CCW#________________
2. Have you ever applied for and been denied a license to carry a concealed weapon?
No_____Yes_____ (If yes, give agency name, date and reason for denial.)
Old 09-17-2010, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
No. I don't know why you're confused. Some other recent applicants got through the process just before one member of the committee retired so maybe posts from those guys are confusing you. I wish I had applied a month earlier but held off until I bought what I expect to be my primary carry weapon before applying. I don't expect the Sheriff to take too long to appoint someone. In my opinion, the hoops we have to jump through aren't too bad and everyone I've dealt with thus far have been very nice to deal with. I'd say that my interview with Detective Wright was very much like a chat between me and a buddy.
Ahh yes, thats probably what happend, i just assumd they had been looking for a 3rd person for a long time. Yes my experience in the interview with Det Wright was the same as you short and sweet. Many Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
Page 3 section 2

1. Do you now have, or have you ever had a license to carry a concealed weapon (CCW)?
No_____Yes_____ (If yes, please indicate below. Use additional pages if necessary.)
2. Have you ever applied for and been denied a license to carry a concealed weapon?
Like I said IIRC. Obviously memory is not that great, I last looked at the app several weeks ago.
Old 09-17-2010, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
Page 3 section 2

I saw this and interpreted it to mean in California. With the way CA looks at firearms law oh well. Guess I'll find out if there is a national database of LTC that CA LEO's can access. Like I said before, wasn't trying to hide anything, just read the question differently than other people do. Should be interesting.
Old 09-17-2010, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Remember that less-than-friendly forces created this "local form" which was exempted from APA. NRA involvement was written out of the bill that mandated the DOJ form be created and used as the sole application in California.
Old 09-17-2010, 8:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox X View Post
You can turn the application in without listing any pistols in that section. You do not need to own the pistol until you test with it after you have taken the 16 hour course.
Are you certain? How do you know this? I want to wait and buy an appropriate carry weapon AFTER I get approved, before I take the course. However, if I have to I'll list three weapons I might buy, then buy one of them before the course. (Maybe all three, if I can hide them from the wife .)

"A city's strongest tower of defense is brave men" -Alcaeus
Old 09-17-2010, 8:40 AM

Quote:
JB

The difference is that beard you have. Utah plus beard equals trouble (haha).
Old 09-17-2010, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB35 View Post
I saw this and interpreted it to mean in California. With the way CA looks at firearms law oh well. Guess I'll find out if there is a national database of LTC that CA LEO's can access. Like I said before, wasn't trying to hide anything, just read the question differently than other people do. Should be interesting.

They don't need to access a national database, Utah for example has a # you can call to verify it on the backside of the card and California citizens with non-resident CCW's mainly have either Utah,Nevada or Florida and I'm sure they have a direct # to verify this stuff w/o too much hassle.
Old 09-17-2010, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactech View Post
A third person? Really??? The Sheriff is holding up your right to self-protection because he can't find a third person amongst the 2000 deputies in his department? Tell you what Big John, call me. I'll do it for free. Can anyone tell me how long this "I need a third person BS" has been going on"?
Old 09-17-2010, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Daniels View Post
A third person? Really??? The Sheriff is holding up your right to self-protection because he can't find a third person amongst the 2000 deputies in his department? Tell you what Big John, call me. I'll do it for free. Can anyone tell me how long this "I need a third person BS" has been going on"?
The 3-person committee has been in effect for as far back as anyone can recall, including the SCSO.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 09-17-2010, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerdaddy View Post
Are you certain? How do you know this? I want to wait and buy an appropriate carry weapon AFTER I get approved, before I take the course. However, if I have to I'll list three weapons I might buy, then buy one of them before the course. (Maybe all three, if I can hide them from the wife .)
Toolbox is correct.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
The 3-person committee has been in effect for as far back as anyone can recall, including the SCSO.
I think Bret was questioning how long it has been since the 3rd person position has been kept vacant, in other words, how long has it been since "stall issue" has been in effect.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Well damn it. Apparently I made my appointment 2 weeks too late. People who had their initial appointments 2 weeks before mine have gotten issued and I'm apparently going to be stuck in "stall issue" limbo until they find a 3rd member for the committee. This really sucks and I'm pissed at myself that I didn't jump on it and get my appointment right away. There seems to be some question as to when the 90 days starts ticking. Is it when they accept the app or when they cash the check?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

Who's questioning it? All I've seen is it's when they cash the check.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Well damn it. Apparently I made my appointment 2 weeks too late. People who had their initial appointments 2 weeks before mine have gotten issued and I'm apparently going to be stuck in "stall issue" limbo until they find a 3rd member for the committee. This really sucks and I'm pissed at myself that I didn't jump on it and get my appointment right away. There seems to be some question as to when the 90 days starts ticking. Is it when they accept the app or when they cash the check?
3rd member, eh? I'll gladly fill in via conference call. *raises hand*
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
Who's questioning it? All I've seen is it's when they cash the check.
Well, they made me an appointment, took my app and gave me a phone interview so they clearly have accepted my application for processing but as of yet have still not cashed my check. Not sure how holding a check equals not accepting the app.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Perhaps Ms. Sykes could sit on the committee for the sheriff.
Old 09-17-2010, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Well, they made me an appointment, took my app and gave me a phone interview so they clearly have accepted my application for processing but as of yet have still not cashed my check. Not sure how holding a check equals not accepting the app.
I've got same story, my check has NOT been cashed, went through interview with Det Wright, and "waiting on the world to change" -John Mayer
Old 09-17-2010, 2:09 PM

Since no one answered, I'll post this again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
Old 09-17-2010, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Would love to know myself, thinking of getting a glock 26
Old 09-17-2010, 3:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not legal. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He's spreading
Old 09-17-2010, 3:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze

Is that a restriction on the license? If not, is it in the written policy for issuance of a CCW?

ETA: I read the application form. Nothing in there mentions about 10 round mags.
CGN

Last edited by RP1911; 09-17-2010 at 3:41 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 5:17 PM

If your appointment was after August 5th, you will probably be in the group that is reviewed by the committee in September. Det. Wright told me that I would not get my letter until late Sept or early Oct.
Old 09-17-2010, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycm2 View Post
If your appointment was after August 5th, you will probably be in the group that is reviewed by the committee in September. Det. Wright told me that I would not get my letter until late Sept or early Oct.
I applied 7/15 and was told the same thing. "late Sept. early Oct." So I missed the boat that the others were on. Ill catch the next one.
Old 09-17-2010, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycm2 View Post
The problem is that the committee is down a member and will not meet until a replacement member has been appointed.
Old 09-17-2010, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The problem is that the committee is down a member and will not meet until a replacement member has been appointed.
Except apparently, from some of the chatter I'm hearing, the committee has been down a member since at least April. Someone isn't updating Detective Wright's script from on high. He doesn't make the call or the approvals.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 09-17-2010 at 6:24 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Well that is good news! So maybe I will be able to carry before too much longer.
Old 09-17-2010, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
Is that a restriction on the license? If not, is it in the written policy for issuance of a CCW?

ETA: I read the application form. Nothing in there mentions about 10 round mags.

I was told that during the phone interview.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:09 AM

Why would you ask? You are only going to get an answer you will not like. Since any anwer they give must be for everyone who has applied they can not say "yes". They could at best only say: "you may only use legally possess mags." More that likily they will say "no", or "why would you want to?"

Again, why would you ask? Once you are cleared and issued a CCW, you follow the restrictions on your permit. Concealed means concealed, so how you carry concealed is not a issue. As long as you legally own "high caps", you may use them. Thats the law, follow it.

Once you are issued a CCW you must accept that you may carry concealed and not keep asking if it is ok.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Eureka View Post
Why would you ask? You are only going to get an answer you will not like. Since any anwer they give must be for everyone who has applied they can not say "yes". They could at best only say: "you may only use legally possess mags." More that likily they will say "no", or "why would you want to?"

Again, why would you ask? Once you are cleared and issued a CCW, you follow the restrictions on your permit. Concealed means concealed, so how you carry concealed is not a issue. As long as you legally own "high caps", you may use them. Thats the law, follow it.

Once you are issued a CCW you must accept that you may carry concealed and not keep asking if it is ok.
RTFQ - Don't make ASSumptions.

Where did it say that I asked?

Semper Fi!

Last edited by thebronze; 09-18-2010 at 12:31 AM..
Old 09-18-2010, 9:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
RTFQ - Don't make ASSumptions.

Where did it say that I asked?
Either way, the core advice remains that you should ignore the comment as there is no law against carrying a firearm with a large capacity magazine via your 12050 license.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Closed Thread