Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
If you want to source the gun yourself, then you find a dealer who will do the transfer and conversion for you from the list. They will probably charge some sort of fee for this on top of the transfer fee. What may be easier is buying the gun directly from the dealer doing the conversion, since you won't have to deal with explaining the process to a vendor who doesn't know about the law. Either way you will then DROS the gun in single shot exempt form. After you take possession, you can convert it back to standard form.
OK thanks. So as an example, purchase the single shot version from Table Rock (Medford, OR) and have them ship to a FFL in Socal such as DAS (Solana Beach, CA) and then do the DROS there, wait 10 days and receive in single shot exempt form and then convert back to standard from myself. Question: will the seller/dealer include instructions on the 'reversion' or will it be obvious? Since it's a single shot exempt, will it come with the magazines or will these also be 'parted down'? If parted down, would they be 10 run or the higher capacity for the Gen4 Glock 17?

Sorry to be a PIA. After I get through this I'd be happy to post the step by step process I went through for other noobs like me.
Old 08-19-2011, 1:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by totus44 View Post
OK thanks. So as an example, purchase the single shot version from Table Rock (Medford, OR) and have them ship to a FFL in Socal such as DAS (Solana Beach, CA) and then do the DROS there, wait 10 days and receive in single shot exempt form and then convert back to standard from myself. Question: will the seller/dealer include instructions on the 'reversion' or will it be obvious? Since it's a single shot exempt, will it come with the magazines or will these also be 'parted down'? If parted down, would they be 10 run or the higher capacity for the Gen4 Glock 17?

Sorry to be a PIA. After I get through this I'd be happy to post the step by step process I went through for other noobs like me.
Ryan at TRA is a really nice guy and he'll walk you through the "reversion" process if you need it.

If the transfer dealer so chooses and he has a large cap mag permit, he can disassemble non-compliant mags for delivery to you. It's up to you to use the disassembled kits in a legal manner. He is definitely not going to give you the large cap mags in their assembled form unless he is brain dead.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 08-19-2011, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on how comfortable you are with that particular platform, but after you take possession you can most likely ask the shop to convert it back for you. If you use an FFL that is less experienced for the transfer (99% sure DAS can help you with this), I'm sure Table Rock can send you instructions. You can source 10 round magazines for the Glock on your own or maybe the seller will substitute them for you, but any high capacity magazines have to be disassembled and can only be used as rebuild kits.

ETA: Do I need to make the step by step stuff more clear in the OP?
Old 08-19-2011, 1:37 PM

a step by step/play by play hypothetical example wouldn't hurt.

i was all set to make the purchase when the guy behind the counter said...you're a leo, right? imagine our surprise, lol! so he told me to go to calguns.net and search sse for the gen4 glock 17.

i greatly appreciate in information. i'll contact DAS and TRA. i also have an interstate intrafamial transfer i need to do, my dad is gifting his old service revolvers to me, so hopefully this makes it worth DAS time and trouble.
Old 08-19-2011, 6:55 PM

I was actually thinking of making a simple how to video for taking the parts out today. I was pretty busy so it didn't get done but I will see if I can get it done tomorrow.

Ryan
Old 08-20-2011, 4:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I was actually thinking of making a simple how to video for taking the parts out today. I was pretty busy so it didn't get done but I will see if I can get it done tomorrow.

Ryan
Thanks in advance for your help Ryan.

I was so bummed; two weeks ago I was in OR but both times I went through Medford your shop was closed

I hope next time I will get a chance to stop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 08-20-2011, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Thanks in advance for your help Ryan.

I was so bummed; two weeks ago I was in OR but both times I went through Medford your shop was closed

I hope next time I will get a chance to stop by.
My shop is not a retail shop as it is zoned industrial and not commercial so I am not supposed to have walk in customers. It is really just a work shop and not much to see at that. A few machines a desk and some safes. Hot as hell this time of year I might add.

Ryan
Old 08-20-2011, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
My shop is not a retail shop as it is zoned industrial and not commercial so I am not supposed to have walk in customers. It is really just a work shop and not much to see at that. A few machines a desk and some safes. Hot as hell this time of year I might add.

Ryan
Well that's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 08-20-2011, 7:11 PM

OK, so I went to the shop today for the sole purpose of making a video of converting a single shot pistol back to standard configuration. One take and my camera froze. Wasn't even sure if the first take was gonna work until I got home and hooked up to my laptop. I used an HK45 in the video but basically they all work the same way.

Old 08-24-2011, 3:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default OC no single shot exemption stores?

I'm envious of those in Northern California who have Valkerie Arms to get their off roster guns.

I just don't understand why there aren't many FFLs in OC taking advantage of the demand by consumers wanting to buy off roster handguns. It's a gold mine.

I've sent in my order form for a custom Les Baer monolith frame with TRS parts in 9mm. Worried if I can even get it shipped in CA in 7 months when it's done. GULP.
Old 08-27-2011, 9:15 AM

Just a quick update and a thank you to all that have contributed to this thread. I also wanted to thank all of you that took the time to PM me regarding your experiences with DAS, they were spot on.

I got a call back the next morning from Sean at DAS in Solana Beach and he walked my through the process step-by-step. Excellent customer service. We concluded our business the next morning as he ordered the Gen4 G17 for SSE. By Tues/Wed he'll have the serial number and I can go to his shop and start the DROS process. In addition to the professionalism exhibited by the guys at DAS, their prices are extremely competitive for San Diego County. I will be doing business with DAS for roster and non-roster SSE from now on.
Old 08-28-2011, 3:24 PM

Default Confussed!!!

Okay, I have been trying to figure this SSE out. Some background on me first, I just received my LTC and do not want to do anything that could put that in jeopardy. I let my first permit expire in 2003 (stupid me) and it was a long process to get it back. I really want a LCP and Walther PPS for my permit, but I am not going to take a gun that I am not 100% sure is legal to the SD.

So, my quest begins;.

I have talked to 4 different FFL's and all of them have given me different answers.

The first FFl was for a SSE AR pistol at the gun show. He said that i could buy the pistol as a SSE and once I own it, could place a 10 round magazine in it and top feed it. If I removed the magazine to reload, whether with a BB or not, it would be a felony. The next FFL told me that I could only use a 1 round mag and I could remove the mag.

Second question was on SSE pistol transfers. Warrior one in Riverside said they would not do them, but that they were legal. Fair enough. The second was Cal-arms. They will do them but when I asked about converting it back after I got it, they told me that it was a felony. When I asked where I could find that info, I was told DOJ web site and then was completely ignored. Great service from them. Not going back there. Rather deal with the lines at Bass Pro than them.

The last stop of the day was High Impact Tactical in Upland. Small shop but the guy that works there (did not get his name, real big guy) was very helpful. He talked to us for 30 minutes about what he knew of the SSE. First of all, he will do them all day long as he is legal to sell it to you as a SSE. When I asked about the conversion after the sale, he said yes and no. He talked to ATF and they said no problem. Then he called DOJ, they said no way. I forgot what he said about the AR, but it was different than the other 3.

Does anyone have a resource that I can go to to check this out. I am concerned when the SD runs the gun and it comes up as SSE and it is no longer that way, my LTC might be put at risk.

Any help would be great.
Old 08-28-2011, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Modifying a handgun into another legal handgun configuration is legal.

There are no laws restricting an individual or gunsmith from changing an owner’s handgun in one legal configuration to any other legal configuration. (This is regardless of its Roster status or exemption; the Roster is really just a gating function to resale.)

Changes to caliber and/or barrel length can be made, along with rimfire vs. centerfire changeover, conversion between single vs. double-action status, conversion between single-shot vs. repeater status, etc. [However, conversion to any of various prohibited firearm categories such as assault weapon, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, unconventional pistol, etc. must be avoided! Both Federal and CA law must be observed.]
Old 09-22-2011, 4:53 AM

I know that Wild Bills in Elk Grove can do SSE now for gen 4 Glock and Ruger LCP. I didn't ask what other type of guns that they can perform SSE though. I just thought that the OP can add their shop to the list.

I hope just one day that we don't need a database anymore because it has become a common practice.
Old 09-25-2011, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCF View Post
I know that Wild Bills in Elk Grove can do SSE now for gen 4 Glock and Ruger LCP. I didn't ask what other type of guns that they can perform SSE though. I just thought that the OP can add their shop to the list.

I hope just one day that we don't need a database anymore because it has become a common practice.
Do you have more information on the shop? All I can find is some semi-complete yelp page that doesn't list any hours.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From their business card:

Wild Bills Old West Trading Co.
10490 East Stockton Blvd, Ste 150
Elk Grove, CA 95624
Phone - 916-686-7699
Fax - 916-714-7690
Email - ezpardner@yahoo.com

I have bought a couple of rifles there and they are excellent to deal with. Last time I was ther they opened at 10 AM on a Friday. Not sure of closing time or what days they are open.

John

Last edited by Trapper John; 09-26-2011 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Premature posting, finished it this time
Old 09-29-2011, 1:19 PM

tagged for interest, thanks for the great info
Old 10-02-2011, 3:18 PM

Default Fundamento CCW Question around Single Shot Conversion

Hello all,

Been lurking for awhile on this thread but I have a related question regarding weapons that have gone through the single shot conversion and then have been reverted back.

I will be applying for my CCW. Not totally clear on the process yet, but I'll figure it out, (I'm sure with your all's help).

Question is this: Is there any chance that I might get in trouble with the CCW process if I have a weapon that was converted with the single shot conversion, then converted back?

What's driving this for me is that I really like the the Boberg XR9-S as it is highly concealable but soft shooting enough so you can practice a lot. My wife has expressed interest in learning to shoot a handgun as well, so I want to make sure she has as positive experience as possible.

Thanks for your input, take care.
Old 10-02-2011, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

You can put it on your CCW if you can actually obtain one.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Thanks Cyc,

Pretty sure I can justify. I hope so anyway.

SHG
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 AM

is it only tablerockarms doing single shot conversions?
Old 10-03-2011, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member

Every dealer in the original post is doing the conversions...
Old 10-05-2011, 3:11 PM
CGN Contributor

Default CCW

Thanks to all the posters in this thread for the great information provided. I purchased a P30 a few weeks ago and added to my CCW today without any issues.
Old 10-09-2011, 2:59 PM

Hi guys !!! I've finally come around to the SSE way. Just wondering who you guys like in socal to get a RIA 1911 in 9mm? Is there a shop that specializes in 1911s that does em more then say Gen4 glocks or the like?

Any favorite socal places that support SSE ? I'd love to give them some business!
Old 10-11-2011, 6:22 AM
Banned

You can add XDM's to the list for Wild Bills..... Ordered mine a week ago! They are open Tuesday -Saturday. Closed Sun & Monday. Glad to see local shop getting us some XDM's...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Mount Pleasant Arms will also do the transfers for a fee, only one I know of that I didn't see listed.
http://www.mparms.com/Transfer-Services-_ep_43.html
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM

If you are in Norcal San Francisco bay area, I highly recommend Tracy Rifle and Pistol shop for SSE. I recently bought one recently.
Old 10-12-2011, 6:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I have been discussing the single shot exemption process with my management contact at STI. He appears willing to listen and will take the information I provided to the upper level decision makers in the company. He was completely unaware of what is happening here with single shot exemptions and was very intrigued as to the possibilities. We'll see what happens.....

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 10-12-2011, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBR Works View Post
I have been discussing the single shot exemption process with my management contact at STI. He appears willing to listen and will take the information I provided to the upper level decision makers in the company. He was completely unaware of what is happening here with single shot exemptions and was very intrigued as to the possibilities. We'll see what happens.....

First it was JBM with the 1919 and now STI..... Keep up the good work
Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM

Hey all - So in reading the link in the 1st post "in depth explanation thread" by bwiese it states the summary and clarifications of all the exemptions to the roster. One of the exemptions mentioned being:

Quote:
California FFLs are allowed to freely import non-Rostered handguns for prospective LEO sales - and handguns rendered into Roster-exempt status are legal for resale to ordinary Californians too. Note the 12133PC exemptions includes the controlling phrase, “The provisions of this chapter do not apply…”
It would seem this would be WAY easier than dealing with the whole conversion issue. Not to mention the fact that there are a ton of off roster guns out there where it just is not possible/practical to get it exempt via the SSE.

Seems pretty cut and dry legally as I read it. Any FFL is allowed to purchase off roster guns so they can potentially sell to LE. But once that gun is in their possession it can be sold to any non exempt person. Period.

So are any of the FFLs doing this? If so, who? If not, why not?

Thanks,
831S
Old 10-12-2011, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

You still have to render them into roster-exempt status - you are misreading. Merely having imported them for LEO sales does not exempt them.
Old 10-13-2011, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

Some updates have been added to the OP.
Old 10-16-2011, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
You still have to render them into roster-exempt status - you are misreading. Merely having imported them for LEO sales does not exempt them.
Gotcha. Thanks!

One other question. I think I have decided on the Kel-tec PF-9.. I spoke with one of the FFLs in the list and they can get the gun and do the SSE.

While the legality of how everything done is very clear, I don't understand the "actual" process.

So I understand that they would get the PF-9 and convert to SSE. Which means a mag-block and somehow making the gun with 6” minimum barrel length, and a minimum overall length of 10.5” when assembled.

I assume a drop in barrel is how they get the minimum required length.

So, I wait my 10 days and go to pick up my gun. As soon as I take possesion can/do I sit down right there and take out and return the long barrel and put the normal barrel in, etc.?

Thanks,
831S
Old 10-16-2011, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Generally drop in barrel and some sort of mag lock etc. It varies on the shop's preference and the type of gun. You can sit down and do it right there if they'll let you after you take possession.
Old 10-16-2011, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831Shooter View Post
Gotcha. Thanks!

One other question. I think I have decided on the Kel-tec PF-9.. I spoke with one of the FFLs in the list and they can get the gun and do the SSE.

While the legality of how everything done is very clear, I don't understand the "actual" process.

So I understand that they would get the PF-9 and convert to SSE. Which means a mag-block and somehow making the gun with 6” minimum barrel length, and a minimum overall length of 10.5” when assembled.

I assume a drop in barrel is how they get the minimum required length.

So, I wait my 10 days and go to pick up my gun. As soon as I take possesion can/do I sit down right there and take out and return the long barrel and put the normal barrel in, etc.?

Thanks,
831S
That is correct. Only stipulation is that these barrels are manufactured for each gun/platform, so not all shops will have a barrel for every type of gun if there isn't a big enough demand for it.
Old 10-16-2011, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
That is correct. Only stipulation is that these barrels are manufactured for each gun/platform, so not all shops will have a barrel for every type of gun if there isn't a big enough demand for it.
Excellent Chris.. Thanks for the quick answer!

I already spoke with the shop and they said no problem on the PF-9 and P-11, which were the guns I was flipping between.

Take care,
831S
Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Few questions:
1. It seems MP5K pistol clone will not be allow because its barrel is under 7.5", correct?
2. For the MP5 clone pistol, if seller send in with mag disassembled and no BB installed, will it meet the legal SSE-P requirements? if not, how to make it into SSE-P?
3. How to make HK45 into SSE-P for transfer?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
Few questions:
1. It seems MP5K pistol clone will not be allow because its barrel is under 7.5", correct?
not sure where you came up with that 7.5" number. SSE requires a 6" barrel, but I dont' think a 5K has even that, so you'd have to have a barrel extention permanently attached along with the zero-round mag (SLED)

Quote:
2. For the MP5 clone pistol, if seller send in with mag disassembled and no BB installed, will it meet the legal SSE-P requirements? if not, how to make it into SSE-P?
An MP5 with a standard magazine release would be an AW, a felony. It needs to have a maglock installed before it comes into CA. In addition, it would need a SLED installed to be SSE.

Quote:
3. How to make HK45 into SSE-P for transfer?

Thanks.
have barrel extended to at least 6" (probably need to be closer to 7-8" to make 10.5" OAL) and have a SLED installed with a mag lock.

12133(b) The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 1/2 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Any instruction on How to make a zero-round mag (SLED)?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

You could use some sort of dowel or other method of blocking the magazine.