Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
Because people are dying unintentionally. That isn't a good enough reason?

There is a difference between the BS written about not cleaning the gun while loaded crap, and a very dangerous issue that happens so frequently that Smith & Wesson themselves started an investigation to get to the bottom of. They went as far as firing the 500 while recording with a high speed camera. You don't think that rises to the level of a one line warning in the manual?

Here's the S&W high speed cam video they used in their investigation to determine it was unintentional bump firing

Yes people know it is a powerful handgun, but not everyone knows that makes to prone to unintentional bump firing far more than any other handgun on the market. Bump firing is not typically considered a double action revolver phenomena. Might be worth it for the manufacturer to mention that.
Something that powerful WILL bumpfire unless you want a 1-ton trigger.

Serious hand-gun is serious.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:03 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Something that powerful WILL bumpfire unless you want a 1-ton trigger.

Serious hand-gun is serious.
Yep, that's why I think S&W should maybe communicate that to the customer because not everyone knows that, especially large males who have no trouble dealing with the recoil and have never been a 105 LB female they hand the gun to. I don't know why some people are resistant to that idea. Better to keep the customer in the dark I suppose....
Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 PM

RIP.

Knowing that it is a powerful pistol, they could have put one round only to the gun.

Broken nose or bruise in the face is better than lost of life.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

And this is why I told bigbearbear to teach his wife not to limp wrist instead of just giving her a bigger gun to "play with".

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Girl Accidentally Shot in the Head at Missouri Range - 500 S&W

The manufacturer can add all warnings in their manual but the idiots won't read it.

And I am referring to the idiot that handed her the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM

This double tap condition is awfully similar to a newbie on a dirtbike. Newbie releases clutch too fast, due tolack of experience their body falls back as the bike accelerates and consequently gives even more throttle.
Start with one bullet and learn to control. It makes sense.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:48 PM

I own a S&W 500 6.5 and I will never let a small woman or teen shoot it until they prove they can handle the recoil and then only one round at a time. To me the felt recoil isn't as bad as some make it out to be. Just make sure you have a nice tight grip with both hands and locked wrists.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:51 PM

It isn't the gun. It isn't the manufacturer.
It is, like someone else said, the idiot who gives the gun to some skinny little girl so they can laugh when the recoil brings the gun back and it whacks her in the head.
Well, this girl really gave them a show to laugh about.
dc
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sad
Old 12-06-2013, 1:03 PM

I never put more than one round in a gun being handle by someone who's never shot it before. This could have been avoided a number of ways, it's a shame
Old 12-06-2013, 1:05 PM

Wow, so glad i saw this post! Next time i see someone with the rental 500 i am definitely watching them load rounds and moving if i see more than 1 get chambered.
Old 12-06-2013, 1:28 PM

What a horrible accident! Condolences to the family and friends.

It does raise serious questions about the circumstances.
“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 12-06-2013, 1:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sad story.

RIP.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 12-06-2013, 1:43 PM

It wasn't an accident. It was negligence and stupidity on the part of the person who gave her the revolver and stupidity on the part of the woman using the revolver.
Old 12-06-2013, 1:52 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
...my first motorcycle wasn't 1000cc, was yours?
No, my first motorcycle was 50cc, but I know a bunch of guys (no females oddly enough) that bought liter bikes as their first. Some are even still alive. Not all, but some. You would think friends and family would have been more interested in her well being than that, but you can't stop someone from doing something stupid.

Freedom means freedom. Stupid get to swim in the same pool.
Old 12-06-2013, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Personally I would like to have that warning in BOLD on the instructions to that firearm. It never crossed my mind that could happen. Call me stupid if you guys want but I'm being honest here. I'm not experienced with large caliber handguns and that is need to know info.
Old 12-06-2013, 1:55 PM
Veteran Member

As several said, the wise move is to load ALL firearms one round at a time for new shooters to ensure they don't lose control or freak out and fire a second shot in a bad direction.

Sad.
Old 12-06-2013, 2:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Personally I think the super heavy recoiling handguns like the S&W .500 and DE 50AE are examples of "just because you can build something doesn't mean you should".

I'm sorry that people have lost their lives shooting them and would never recommend one to a friend.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 12-06-2013, 2:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Personally I would like to have that warning in BOLD on the instructions to that firearm. It never crossed my mind that could happen. Call me stupid if you guys want but I'm being honest here. I'm not experienced with large caliber handguns and that is need to know info.
So what would putting that in the manual(assuming it's not already there, I don't feel like looking), do to prevent someone from handing this firearm to an inexperienced shooter?

I'll give you the answer: Nothing.
Old 12-06-2013, 2:23 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
So what would putting that in the manual(assuming it's not already there, I don't feel like looking), do to prevent someone from handing this firearm to an inexperienced shooter?

I'll give you the answer: Nothing.
The red line on your tachometer does nothing to "prevent" you from trying to push an engine up to 10,000 RPMs either. But the system of using a red line as a warning seems to be working with most people, even though it prevents nothing.

Warning and preventing are two completely different things. Warnings while preventing nothing, often work with many people.

Last edited by stix213; 12-06-2013 at 2:29 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 2:41 PM

Should have only had one round in the cylinder. That is a safe way to get a feel for recoil. semi or revolver, outcome could be the same.
Old 12-06-2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Yes people know it is a powerful handgun, but not everyone knows that makes to prone to unintentional bump firing far more than any other handgun on the market. Bump firing is not typically considered a double action revolver phenomena. Might be worth it for the manufacturer to mention that.
Thanks for the vid. I didn't know that can happen so easily.
Old 12-06-2013, 2:59 PM
In Memoriam

Best Comment

Quote:
ChuckNorris at Dec 6th 2013 12:54 PM

My full power shots are as deadly as a 500 S&W

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg
Old 12-06-2013, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The title should read female shooter accidentaly shoots self in head at firing range. Won this years darwin award hands down.
Old 12-06-2013, 3:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The red line on your tachometer does nothing to "prevent" you from trying to push an engine up to 10,000 RPMs either. But the system of using a red line as a warning seems to be working with most people, even though it prevents nothing.

Warning and preventing are two completely different things. Warnings while preventing nothing, often work with many people.
The red line on your tachometer has nothing to do with taking a turn too fast on a crappy road with bald tires in poor conditions and getting killed by slamming the vehicle into a telephone pole at 70MPH, or any of the dozens of other ways you can get yourself killed while driving a car or having an inexperienced driver behind the wheel.

A better comparison would be to have warnings for everything a car can do that can kill you plastered all over the dash. It still wouldn't stop anything. Nevermind the fact that you'll just hit the rev limiter, it's not as if hitting the red line is going to make your engine explode and kill or, or mean that your car is now traveling dangerously fast and can kill you. Now if you had a pressure gauge for the boiler on a steam powered car the red line might be a bit more important...

Last edited by Merc1138; 12-06-2013 at 3:24 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Personally I think the super heavy recoiling handguns like the S&W .500 and DE 50AE are examples of "just because you can build something doesn't mean you should".

I'm sorry that people have lost their lives shooting them and would never recommend one to a friend.
Why???
As long as you use a good grip/stance, the recoil really isn't that bad. Part of the fun in using them is learning how to control the recoil. There's no reason companies shouldn't make guns like the .500 or the Desert Eagle
Old 12-06-2013, 3:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
Why???
As long as you use a good grip/stance, the recoil really isn't that bad. Part of the fun in using them is learning how to control the recoil. There's no reason companies shouldn't make guns like the .500 or the Desert Eagle
Exactly. Might as well demand car companies take corvettes, porsches, lambos, etc. off the market because such a powerful and fast vehicle is dangerous in the wrong hands(and actually, more people DO get killed by those cars than guns like the 500 smith, or the desert eagle). Part of being a responsible shooter is understanding this stuff. Going the way of the bradys to try and demonize or ban it because a couple of people happen to be retarded(not necessarily the lady, she was just ignorant) is a terrible idea.
Old 12-06-2013, 3:51 PM

I have had many people shoot my S&W 500. I never ever load more than 1 round in a time, for anyone including myself for this reason. I have fired many rounds, but I am not in that much of a hurry to burn through really expensive magnum rounds.
Old 12-06-2013, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Poor girl. Too much of a gun for some to handle. Wonder if the owner feels responsible for putting that firearm in to the hands of an inexperienced shooter.....
Old 12-06-2013, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
And this is why I told bigbearbear to teach his wife not to limp wrist instead of just giving her a bigger gun to "play with".

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Ah....my case is quoted out of context here. I am not giving my wife a "bigger" gun, as in "honey, you can't hold the 9mm properly, let's try the .44 magnum instead".

I am looking for a handgun she cab properly fire, maybe something with a heavier frame.

Not the same thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Exactly. Might as well demand car companies take corvettes, porsches, lambos, etc. off the market because such a powerful and fast vehicle is dangerous in the wrong hands(and actually, more people DO get killed by those cars than guns like the 500 smith, or the desert eagle). Part of being a responsible shooter is understanding this stuff. Going the way of the bradys to try and demonize or ban it because a couple of people happen to be retarded(not necessarily the lady, she was just ignorant) is a terrible idea.
Suggesting the manufacturers should of shown more discretion is not the same as suggesting they be outlawed. Reading comprehension for the win next time, k? I'm sure the attorneys at S&W may be questioning the "why" of these handguns in the near future as they prepare for more civil lawsuits.

This isn't a no-Corvette/Lambo/Ferrari argument; its a putting a 2000hp engine in a stock motorcycle chassis argument versus a 4 wheel chassis designed to handle it. If you want the power put it in a long gun. There has to be a point where "enough" really is "enough" in handgun design.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 12-06-2013, 4:28 PM

If anyone clicked on the link, scan your system with an anti virus now.
Old 12-06-2013, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Suggesting the manufacturers should of shown more discretion is not the same as suggesting they be outlawed. Reading comprehension for the win next time, k? I'm sure the attorneys at S&W may be questioning the "why" of these handguns in the near future as they prepare for more civil lawsuits.

This isn't a no-Corvette/Lambo/Ferrari argument; its a putting a 2000hp engine in a stock motorcycle chassis argument versus a 4 wheel chassis designed to handle it. If you want the power put it in a long gun. There has to be a point where "enough" really is "enough" in handgun design.
More discretion, how? It's a biga** gun that fires a biga** round. Of course it's going to recoil a lot. That's just common sense. You can't fix stupid.
Old 12-06-2013, 4:51 PM

good old s&w 500 double tap……BOOM BOOM (RELEASES BOWELS)
Old 12-06-2013, 4:53 PM

I think this sums up some of the sentiments some folks have posted.

Old 12-06-2013, 5:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

So you want power restrictions for firearm types? After saying that it wouldn't come down to wanting it banned?

Some people shouldn't be shooting some guns. Period. A little kid can handle a .22lr, doesn't mean they can handle a .577 trex. Would you want the manufacturer to start putting stupid labels in big bore rifles because someone who can't handle it might get hurt? Even if you're just looking for manufacturer warnings(which do dick all if they're in the manual), having the manufacturers print paragraphs of crap on the side of the gun isn't going to prevent a situation like what happened to this lady. Blame the people who put her in this situation, not the damned object or the manufacturer of the object.
Old 12-06-2013, 5:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

a little trick i learned if a smaller person wants to fire my ak i extend the sling all the way detach it from the rear and have them stand on it

i feel it is cruel to put these excessivly recoiling firearms in the hands of the inexperienced

didnt this happen a while ago with a kid and an uzi
Old 12-06-2013, 5:29 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
...my first motorcycle wasn't 1000cc, was yours?
No, it wasn't. It was 1650cc.

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance is Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
“For those of us who work in marbled halls, guarded constantly by a vigilant and dedicated police force, the guarantees of the Second Amendment might seem antiquated and superfluous. But the Framers made a clear choice: They reserved to all Americans the right to bear arms for self-defense. I do not think we should stand by idly while a state denies its citizens that right, particularly when their very lives may depend on it.”
Old 12-06-2013, 5:34 PM

Hmm, I'm glad the first time I fired one of those, the owner only put in one round.

I also can't think of how terrible the friend or family member must feel, and how gross of a mess it would make when a human gets shot by one of those.
Old 12-06-2013, 5:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
a little trick i learned if a smaller person wants to fire my ak i extend the sling all the way detach it from the rear and have them stand on it

i feel it is cruel to put these excessivly recoiling firearms in the hands of the inexperienced

didnt this happen a while ago with a kid and an uzi
Yeah, someone gave a kid a full auto uzi pistol at some range event IIRC. Different gun, same problem. Idiot who should have realized there might be an issue and decided to go the cool guy route instead.