Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-06-2013, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Girl Accidentally Shot in the Head at Missouri Range - 500 S&W

Link here...shooting-death-at-gun-range-believed-accidental/

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 12-06-2013, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

Smith and Wesson might think about fixing that tendency.
Old 12-06-2013, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannicus View Post
Smith and Wesson might think about fixing that tendency.
Did you read the article ?

What tendency do you speak of ?
Old 12-06-2013, 9:50 AM

My PC detected trojan/virus at the below link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Old 12-06-2013, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post

The tendency for those revolvers to spin back and fire on someone with a weak grip. She's not the first.
Old 12-06-2013, 9:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Accidents happen and that was a terrible one.

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The tendency for those revolvers to spin back and fire on someone with a weak grip. She's not the first.
what can they do? stop making handguns?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM

At ones with muzzle flip.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post

The accidental double tap tendency

Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM

...my first motorcycle wasn't 1000cc, was yours?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 AM

It's whoever handed her that revolvers fault. An unexperienced shooter has no business handling a calibre of that magnitude.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 AM

Some one should have been more responsible.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How about instead of blaming the manufacturer you blame the person who handed a loaded S&W 500 to some small framed person who probably had little to no shooting experience.

It's not funny and is obviously dangerous
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
we never had the problems in CA till the whiteys took over. We used to hunt, fish, roam, then they showed up and wanted to be civilized.............Ruined it for everyone!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Wow, I can't believe she pulled the trigger a second time that fast. That's the only way a revolver will fire.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

I was with my boss the first we took some people out to shoot his, including him. We didn't have anyone lose control of the gun like that but I am glad I only loaded one round at a time.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM

She'll double tap that smith faster than jerry.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

One reason to only load one round on a new firearm that someone has never fired.. the NRA basic firearms safety class teaches this until the shooter is more adept at firing more than a single round..
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
I was with my boss the first we took some people out to shoot his, including him. We didn't have anyone lose control of the gun like that but I am glad I only loaded one round at a time.
And that's what you call being responsible.
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
The accidental double tap tendency
The same thing that happens with any firearm when you can't handle it properly? Better fix every AK, AR, 1911, glock, M&P, desert eagle, etc. as well Done intentionally it would be bump firing.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19 AM

What I don't understand is why don't they load it one at a time if the person is small framed and has little to no experience shooting such a beast of a caliber. That way after the first shot it can't go off again with no more rounds in the weapon.

Even myself I would try just 1 round to get a feel for handling it first since I've never fired the 500 SW.

I saw another youtube video where the muzzle flip hit the girl in the face muzzle first and if she pulled the trigger again on accident she would have been like this poor girl.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Yup, when kids or anyone I have not personally shot with shoots the desert Eagles I load 1 round only.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
The same thing that happens with any firearm when you can't handle it properly? Better fix every AK, AR, 1911, glock, M&P, desert eagle, etc. as well Done intentionally it would be bump firing.
But what is the DA trigger pull weight of a 500? I guess the only possible explanation is that the recoil of the gun made the shooter feel like she was loosing her grip so she squeezed her hand firing another round.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I never said it can't happen with any firearm, but the frequency it happens with the S&W 500 is considerably higher than any of the firearms you listed. Combined with the high recoil / muzzle flip of the 500, a 2nd shot can be aimed at yourself or someone else on the firing line, where a Glock would still be more or less down range. Pretending this isn't an acute issue with this firearm is simply denial.

Last edited by stix213; 12-06-2013 at 10:26 AM..
Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
had a buddy who would only load a round in every other chamber, he would load one, skip one, load one, skip one etc...always wondered about it, til he finally told me what he was trying to keep from happening, especially with weaker wristed people...now I've got a better idea of what he meant
Old 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens View Post
What I don't understand is why don't they load it one at a time if the person is small framed and has little to no experience shooting such a beast of a caliber. That way after the first shot it can't go off again with no more rounds in the weapon.

Even myself I would try just 1 round to get a feel for handling it first since I've never fired the 500 SW.

I saw another youtube video where the muzzle flip hit the girl in the face muzzle first and if she pulled the trigger again on accident she would have been like this poor girl.

Agreed. I did this when new to this firearm, or ANYONE I introduce it to, also use less powerful loads and work your way up.
But common sense is no longer common.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens View Post

Agreed. I did this when new to this firearm, or ANYONE I introduce it to, also use less powerful loads and work your way up. Not to mention wearing a padded glove.
But common sense is no longer common.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Banned

Who ever let here shoot it fully loaded should be kicked in the face.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

I am leaving the range immediately the next time someone rents one of those.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I never said it can't happen with any firearm, but the frequency it happens with the S&W 500 is considerably higher than any of the firearms you listed. Combined with the high recoil / muzzle flip of the 500, a 2nd shot can be aimed at yourself or someone else on the firing line, where a Glock would still be more or less down range. Pretending this isn't an acute issue with this firearm is simply denial.
this might have something to do with it

Recoil Chart
Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned

I always thought when you hand someone a gun of that caliber you only put one round. Then you don't have double tap issues.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Denial of what? It happens due to mishandling. There's no reason someone inexperienced with shooting a pretty powerful handgun like that should have had more than 1 round loaded. Frankly, she probably shouldn't have been shooting the thing to begin with. People like to laugh at stuff like that chick with the desert eagle to smacks herself in the face with it, but the reality is that situation and this particular woman with the 500 shouldn't have happened in the first place. Having her shoot it fully loaded with no prior experience is just idiotic(fatally so in this instance).

Would you blame a car manufacturer for an idiot putting someone with no driving experience behind the wheel of an 800hp car? No.

Would you blame a muzzle loader manufacturer for someone dumping too much or the wrong powder into it? No.

Don't blame the manufacturer for some idiot's failure to understand the equipment.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Denial of what? It happens due to mishandling. There's no reason someone inexperienced with shooting a pretty powerful handgun like that should have had more than 1 round loaded. Frankly, she probably shouldn't have been shooting the thing to begin with. People like to laugh at stuff like that chick with the desert eagle to smacks herself in the face with it, but the reality is that situation and this particular woman with the 500 shouldn't have happened in the first place. Having her shoot it fully loaded with no prior experience is just idiotic(fatally so in this instance).

Would you blame a car manufacturer for an idiot putting someone with no driving experience behind the wheel of an 800hp car? No.

Would you blame a muzzle loader manufacturer for someone dumping too much or the wrong powder into it? No.

Don't blame the manufacturer for some idiot's failure to understand the equipment.

If that's the case, I assume you can point to where in the manual or on the firearm the manufacturer tells the user to only load one round for new shooters?

If it doesn't say that then the MANUFACTURER should address that
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

The issue is the people that like to watch inexperienced shooters fire a .44, .454, .500, etc., just so they can laugh it up as it recoils back in their face.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Always start out small and work your way up in caliber to beginning shooters. My wife when she first started worked on a 22 and managed to get comfortable with my 9mm. She shot my 45 once and said it is a bit much so i stopped there. No way she can handle my 357 or 44 mag. The person that handed this poor girl that 500 had a lot of poor judgement.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Actually I agree with all the: never hand a 500 with more than one round to anyone weak or first time.

But it is more than that, the 500 produces enough recoil that we have actually seen rounds discharge from the recoil alone (leaving a lead skidmark on the side of the barrel).

A 500 S&W is not a firearm for anyone without experience, period. It is very powerful and accidents happen much too easily. Double or even triple fires are not uncommon and thankfully the recoil ignition is pretty rare.
...but their exists also in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to attempt to lower the powerful to their own level, and reduces men to prefer equality in slavery to inequality with freedom.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I took some new shooters to the indoor range a few weeks ago and I only gave them 1 round of 9mm a time to start. They were from New Zealand where gun ownership is unheard of. Point being you never know how someone is going to react to an explosion in their hands.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If that's the case, I assume you can point to where in the manual or on the firearm the manufacturer tells the user to only load one round for new shooters?

If it doesn't say that then the MANUFACTURER should address that
Why?

People know it has a crapload of recoil, people know it's a powerful handgun, even without knowing about the possibility of the double tap, anyone with half a brain should realize that on their own before handing it to someone. Do you seriously support that legalese bull**** paragraphs on the side of guns to warn people that they might be dangerous?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Why?
Because people are dying unintentionally. That isn't a good enough reason?

Quote:
People know it has a crapload of recoil, people know it's a powerful handgun, even without knowing about the possibility of the double tap, anyone with half a brain should realize that on their own before handing it to someone. Do you seriously support that legalese bull**** paragraphs on the side of guns to warn people that they might be dangerous?
There is a difference between the BS written about not cleaning the gun while loaded crap, and a very dangerous issue that happens so frequently that Smith & Wesson themselves started an investigation to get to the bottom of. They went as far as firing the 500 while recording with a high speed camera. You don't think that rises to the level of a one line warning in the manual? Is ink too valuable?

Here's the S&W high speed cam video they used in their investigation to determine it was unintentional bump firing

Yes people know it is a powerful handgun, but not everyone knows that makes to prone to unintentional bump firing far more than any other handgun on the market. Bump firing is not typically considered a double action revolver phenomena. Might be worth it for the manufacturer to mention that.

Last edited by stix213; 12-06-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Probly doesn't happen too often with single actions
Old 12-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama View Post
what can they do? stop making handguns?
Were talking about a hand CANNON here, not a hand gun.

They should make a 500 single action option for woman and sissys

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.