Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 9:42 AM

Hello all again. After a long process of application, denial, appeal, denial I find myself here again. Any recommendations on reapplication or contacting a legal representative? Are we at a point where I can expect change?
Old 01-30-2012, 8:03 PM

Seems like the Ventura County section here has died off while other counties are going strong. What was your "good cause"?
Old 01-30-2012, 9:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicwedgy View Post
Hello all again. After a long process of application, denial, appeal, denial I find myself here again. Any recommendations on reapplication or contacting a legal representative? Are we at a point where I can expect change?
I think Ventura has a few areas where it's possible to improve 'pre-bear'; certainly Scocca plays into this.

Are there clear and incontrovertible instances of EP violations in Ventura post-policy changes? We simply don't know yet.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder11 View Post
Any update? Time to apply yet?
Please see my posts http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=197 and http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=199.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

but wouldnt applying and being denied so we get that data affect (hope i used the right one) a persons chance of getting a ltc in the future if they get denied. even if it isnt in the state or at least from a different county if that individual happened to move?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
but wouldnt applying and being denied so we get that data affect (hope i used the right one) a persons chance of getting a ltc in the future if they get denied. even if it isnt in the state or at least from a different county if that individual happened to move?
I know of no legitimate reason that a previous denial would negatively impact a future application.

-Brandon
Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

i dont really follow these things but i know people have been denied, and that the application asks if you have ever been denied. so i figured that some less than glamorous sheriffs would use this against an applicant. so i was just wondering
Old 01-31-2012, 2:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder11 View Post
Seems like the Ventura County section here has died off while other counties are going strong. What was your "good cause"?
Perhaps some of the reason some have grown more sour to the VC process (lack of updates) is that now they require funds up front for the process which utimately denies your application.

Before they denied your application for free.

-178S
Old 01-31-2012, 2:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One78Shovel View Post
Perhaps some of the reason some have grown more sour to the VC process (lack of updates) is that now they require funds up front for the process which utimately denies your application.

Before they denied your application for free.

-178S
Understand that there is both a tactical and strategic benefit to the process we outline in our Guides/Model Policy/Fees Quick Reference.

Yes, you will now pay fees in accordance with the statutory framework. Note, however, what that does for [A] duties and time-frames and [B] re-application processing and fees.

I'm not sure what you mean by "(lack of updates)" as relates to "the VC process"; as I mentioned in an earlier comment, "I think Ventura has a few areas where it's possible to improve 'pre-bear'; certainly Scocca plays into this."

We've moved Ventura into one of the best strategic positions - if not the best - in the state. Are we done? No, of course not - but much [if not all] of what remains will be addressed in ongoing or forthcoming litigation (and another project, announced soon), and not necessarily directly in Ventura.

-Brandon

Old 01-31-2012, 8:29 AM

Ok. My GC was Identical to multiple good causes. With supporting documents. No history to refute "good moral character". Seems like the good ol' boys club wins again... for now. I will continue to donate to local efforts and look forward to seeing our "elitist" groups held to our standards.
Old 01-31-2012, 8:34 AM

an additional question: If I have paid for livescan and the application process, how do I go about having my funds returned to me?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
an additional question: If I have paid for livescan and the application process, how do I go about having my funds returned to me?
I'm not sure I follow: why would any funds be returned to you? Did their collection exceed those allowable fees as stated in our fee guide?

-Brandon

Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ok. My GC was Identical to multiple good causes. With supporting documents. No history to refute "good moral character". Seems like the good ol' boys club wins again... for now. I will continue to donate to local efforts and look forward to seeing our "elitist" groups held to our standards.
I think this might be a factor of timing, but it could be what the sheriff's application of discretion looks like.

You might think about re-applying now that it's post-Jan 1 with a letter indicating how your GC is congruent with those already approved (and show them how).

-Brandon

Old 01-31-2012, 12:58 PM

I apologize for any inaccuracy as I am at work, but I paid for the application fee and I also paid for the livescan process (fingerprinting). I am sure it is more than on the fee schedule at cgf.org. I will check my records when I get home. I assume that with a reapplication (by printing forms from CGF) and attatched letter of like GC I will not be charged again..?
Old 01-31-2012, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Understand that there is both a tactical and strategic benefit to the process we outline in our Guides/Model Policy/Fees Quick Reference.

Yes, you will now pay fees in accordance with the statutory framework. Note, however, what that does for [A] duties and time-frames and [B] re-application processing and fees.

I'm not sure what you mean by "(lack of updates)" as relates to "the VC process"; as I mentioned in an earlier comment, "I think Ventura has a few areas where it's possible to improve 'pre-bear'; certainly Scocca plays into this."

We've moved Ventura into one of the best strategic positions - if not the best - in the state. Are we done? No, of course not - but much [if not all] of what remains will be addressed in ongoing or forthcoming litigation (and another project, announced soon), and not necessarily directly in Ventura.

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon- I appreciate yours and others efforts in fighting the good fight. My comment on updates was relative to lack of updates in this thread from applicants tranversing the new system.

-178S
Old 01-31-2012, 1:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I apologize for any inaccuracy as I am at work, but I paid for the application fee and I also paid for the livescan process (fingerprinting). I am sure it is more than on the fee schedule at cgf.org. I will check my records when I get home. I assume that with a reapplication (by printing forms from CGF) and attatched letter of like GC I will not be charged again..?
I think you'll find the fee guide (as well as the other guides, FAQs, and Model Policy) informative and helpful to understanding how the laws and fees are structured.

-Brandon

Old 01-31-2012, 8:26 PM

* edit

Thank you Brandon. I've got what I need. Apologies I overlooked that guide

Last edited by atomicwedgy; 02-01-2012 at 6:22 AM..
Old 01-31-2012, 8:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Has anyone reapplied since Jan 1st of 2012 with the Standard form available online?

Second, when filling out the form via acrobat reader there is not adequate room for some of the case filings or notations
Are you using this form?

Also, given that you previously applied and are making the above post, I suspect you haven't read our guides with respect to re-applications/renewals and requirements for forms.

-Brandon

Old 02-15-2012, 4:34 PM

Great team at the VCSO. The system has definitely become much more streamlined and efficient. Records and Deputys are great people to work with. Hopefully the application process reflects the new changes in the LTC process with an outstanding constitutional approval process. :-)
Old 02-15-2012, 5:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Great team at the VCSO. The system has definitely become much more streamlined and efficient. Records and Deputys are great people to work with. Hopefully the application process reflects the new changes in the LTC process with an outstanding constitutional approval process. :-)
Glad to hear that our work has had positive effect.

-Brandon

Old 02-17-2012, 2:56 PM

What is current contact info if I need to contact a CalGuns representative about a denial letter I received from VCSO?
Old 02-17-2012, 3:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmasterC View Post
What is current contact info if I need to contact a CalGuns representative about a denial letter I received from VCSO?
You can email me with your full contact information and a PDF scan of all your documents, bcombs at calgunsfoundation.org.

Generally these inquiries take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for me to address; please be patient.

-Brandon

Old 02-17-2012, 9:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Is anyone else having issues downloading the "Ventura Approved Good Cause Statements (Sheriff Dean)" .pdf file?

I've tried multiple times and each time have received the "Error while downloading file" blue window at the top of the repopulated page.
Old 02-17-2012, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminh98 View Post
Is anyone else having issues downloading the "Ventura Approved Good Cause Statements (Sheriff Dean)" .pdf file?

I've tried multiple times and each time have received the "Error while downloading file" blue window at the top of the repopulated page.
Yeah it's not working.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 02-18-2012, 4:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Good luck using GC's he has approved before such as Self Defense or other.

It's not an equitable system.

-178S
Old 02-18-2012, 4:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewaysecurity View Post
Yeah it's not working.

It is working now...
Old 02-18-2012, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Good luck using GC's he has approved before such as Self Defense or other.

It's not an equitable system.

-178S
You mention self defense. Are the "self-defense" GCS, more of a general nature or a "I've received threats towards self and family" nature?
Old 02-18-2012, 8:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Also, is it unlawful to ask for a review of my GCS?
Old 02-18-2012, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You mention self defense. Are the "self-defense" GCS, more of a general nature or a "I've received threats towards self and family" nature?
The link works now, you can download and read the Good Cause statements...
Old 02-19-2012, 4:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Your question as applied to the released statements.

IMO- I would think simply stated "Self Defense" GC's, without further explanation noted as required, would represent the basic need for self defense which would include any current or future threats.

Not certain where Sheriff Dean stands in regard to equitable acceptance of GC statements or moral character.

The go/no go criteria applied to GC's should be an easy benchmark to understand. As the released statements show, a "Self Defense" justification is acceptable. It's the moral character aspect that Dean has the most wiggle room and becomes concerning if applicant is denied and meets following criteria-

- Has no felony convictions
- Is not a prohibitive person from owing firearms
- Has passed recent DOJ background checks for purchase of firearms
- Passed background checks from other States & obtained non- resident LTC's

If an applicant meets documented acceptable GC such as '"Self Defense", and meets the before mentioned moral character bullets, then one must question why there are inconsistency's in the approval process.

That may just be for the courts to decide.

-178S

Last edited by One78Shovel; 02-19-2012 at 4:53 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Your question as applied to the released statements.

IMO- I would think simply stated "Self Defense" GC's, without further explanation noted as required, would represent the basic need for self defense which would include any current or future threats.

Not certain where Sheriff Dean stands in regard to equitable acceptance of GC statements or moral character.

The go/no go criteria applied to GC's should be an easy benchmark to understand. As the released statements show, a "Self Defense" justification is acceptable. It's the moral character aspect that Dean has the most wiggle room and becomes concerning if applicant is denied and meets following criteria-

- Has no felony convictions
- Is not a prohibitive person from owing firearms
- Has passed recent DOJ background checks for purchase of firearms
- Passed background checks from other States & obtained non- resident LTC's

If an applicant meets documented acceptable GC such as '"Self Defense", and meets the before mentioned moral character bullets, then one must question why there are inconsistency's in the approval process.

That may just be for the courts to decide.

-178S
Has there been a CGF volunteer test case yet? With a declined identical good cause, are there plans to bring suit? Are we waiting for Peruta? Nordyke?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Scocca is stayed 6 months pending Nordyke, possibly longer. Richards is stayed on Nordyke. 2A in the 9th Circuit is pretty much on hold until Nordyke resolves.

-Brandon

p.s. That doesn't mean we won't file any new cases, but it does mean that we're going to focus on those areas and matters which can be improved during the stay.

Old 02-23-2012, 1:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I submitted my CCW paperwork today and have an interview next week.
Old 02-23-2012, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I submitted my CCW paperwork today and have an interview next week.

That Is Quick!
Old 02-23-2012, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
That Is Quick!
It sure is. I hope that is a good sign!
Old 02-23-2012, 6:03 PM

That's many MONTHS quicker than my process went. Good sign!
Old 02-23-2012, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdays View Post
That's many MONTHS quicker than my process went. Good sign!
Were you approved?
Old 02-23-2012, 6:42 PM

Yes. It took about 14 months total.
Old 02-23-2012, 9:23 PM

Recently recieved my LTC. Everyone at VCSO very good to work with. Took about 4 months.
Old 02-24-2012, 5:37 AM

4 months! What a difference. I didn't hear a thing for almost 6 months after applying. Is anyone else seeing improvements like that?
Closed Thread