Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

View Poll Results: Which should we do to accomodate preparedness discussions?
Combine all topics in to one sub-forum 89 25.65%
Create a separate form for preparedness/long term survival discussion. 258 74.35%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2012, 9:18 PM
Head Janitor

Default Camping/Hiking/Outdoors Activity vs. Long Term Survival/Disaster Preparedness

As I said in another thread, this forum was never intended nor labeled as a 'SHTF/Preppers' forum.
Frankly the preppers concept was pretty much an unknown quantity when this forum was set up, if it had been it would not be lumped in with camping and hiking. Survival was added to those two because people get lost or injured when doing those activities and other outdoor activities and basic survival information fits in.

Since the creation of the Outdoors and Accessories Category preparedness has become a much more prevalent topic both on the forum and elsewhere.
So this leaves us with a question, how to address this topic on Calguns.

As I see it we have two options, we can open up the 'Outdoors, Camping and Survival' sub-forum to prepping/long term survival combining discussion of all of these topics in to one forum or we can retitle the 'Outdoors, Camping and Survival' forum to 'Camping, Hiking and other Outdoor Activities' and create a separate sub-forum for 'Disaster Preparedness and Long Term Survival'.

Since the users of this sub-forum have an interest in either one or both of these topics I'm posting a poll to get the general opinion of which course to follow. I will also be talking to the Staff to get their input and use both to determine where to go from here.

Vote for one of the two options in the poll above.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 10-17-2012, 9:28 PM

In my opinion there isn't enough activity to warrant opening another section. Having them all in one would be fine. I'd much rather see the most heavily used section (Private Firearm sales) split into a north and southern California section.

Thanks for all of your great work.
Old 10-17-2012, 9:40 PM

I look at the topics that I read and post in (and this may simply be the ones I am interested enough in to read) and I see a pretty even split between prepping/SHTF stuff, and more mundane hiking a bushcraft. More telling though, is that I see a very real and well developed overlap between the two: People discussing hiking bags end up talking about BOB's. A discussion about SHTF leads to information on edible plants. A thread on etting home in the face of a major disaster goes into GHB's, boots, ultralight camping, and even personal defense. I view what the Mods seem to consider two seperate topics as basically one and the same. They are congruous, and with a lot of like minded, gun owning, self reliant individuals that would frequent either subforum, there would inevitably be discussion of the other... for which some people would get seriously butthurt, and there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Keep it in one forum, and if I'd rather read about pup tents than zombies, then I'll stick to those topics.

The thing I'd rather not see in this forum is finger pointing, and political discussion. That doesn't do anyone any good.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 PM

I say keep it all in one subforum, just look at the posts today. As of 11:18pm, there were 10 threads with posts today (11 if you count the locked one)... not all that many. Out of those 10, 5 probably belong in the prepper/shtf category. Ok, so would people be happy with two subforums that each had a whopping 5 active threads a day? Keep the status quo, it seemed just fine before all this hubbub happened anyways.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

I voted to keep them all in one place due to the lack of traffic which makes it so that there isn't much to sift through if you prefer one topic over the other. Overall though, I don't feel strongly about the organization of the structure as long as it remains a viable topic for discussion.

I've lived through a few natural disasters, true emergencies, and know that there are lessons to be shared from each. A little preparation can go a long way when simple necessities like power and water are gone for a few days. With the potential for earthquakes, I see a good reason to learn about how to be self-sufficient.

Thanks Kes for being open to input and for this website. I don't know where else I'd spend so much time online!!!

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

While I did vote for separate forums, Nacho is right, not a lot of traffic. However having a dedicated subforum may be like Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come."

Kudos Kes for being open minded and all you do for this forum. Sleighter is right, I come here before any other sites including facebook.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Practical Googleplex Guy
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I both agree and disagree. Like Kes and all of you said, there is not that much traffic yet, so we do have some time and do not need a separate forum yet.

However, when I first came here about 6 months ago, I was looking for Prepping forums . I got into it last year, and guns became a part of prepping, though now, guns are takinig center stage, and prepping is an after thought.

I think few would look in outdoors or camping, as that reminds me of simple outdoors vacation or weekend fun trips. Prepping is neither. As natural and man made disasters happen more frequently, or the possibility increases, I think we should later on , have a dedicated forum.....but that is only my two cents.

With even Costco , religious entities , mainstream media, and more responsiible people becoming more aware of prepping, I think at some point, we should have a dedicated forum to post these threads, instead of the off topic.

Thanks Kes and all mods and calgunners.

Quote:
Contact me if you want a referral code for buying a Tesla or solar panels... LOL. Yes, I want the free supercharging, but you get a $$$ discount
Old 10-18-2012, 2:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I personally don't have an issue with such topics being combined in the existing forum, as it is easy to choose which discussions to be involved in.

However, I realize that others seem to be offended by "prepper" content, which might be a reason to create a separate section.
Old 10-18-2012, 6:25 AM
Veteran Member

I don't see the need for "activity" to dictate a subforum. What currently can't be gauged is how many people would use the outdoors forum if it wasn't cluttered with the shtf/prep/recipes/BOB/zombie/ecodoom stuff. Whether the like-minded crowd disagrees, there's a contingent (and a majority) of gun owners and posters who don't subscribe to the stereotypical and laughable TFH that often accompanies those threads/forums, and therefore, stay away. Besides, there are other subforums that see far less activity, take away SHTF/prep. So I see the "activity" quotient as a non-factor.

FWIW- I think it makes more sense to combine camping and outdoor activities, etc. with the hunting and fishing forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 6:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Keep it the way it is.. I cruise this section for prepper info, outdoors info and all of that.

To say you can talk about survival in the SURVIVAL section is rather silly.

So no being prepared is "tin foil hat"???.. lol..

The solution is simple.. if you don't like a topic in the Outdoors/Survival forum then maybe take some personal responsibility and DON'T CLICK THE THREAD.. consider it a revolutionary idea.

The traffic in this forum really isn't high enough to warrant splitting it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 10-18-2012, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
So no being prepared is "tin foil hat"???.. lol..
Who said that?
Old 10-18-2012, 7:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
cluttered with the shtf/prep/recipes/BOB/zombie/ecodoom stuff. .
Sounded like you were lumping it all together...

Again, if someone doesn't like a thread I think they would be smart enough to know they don't have to click on it. To avoid a whole forum because you don't like some of the threads is rather immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA
Old 10-18-2012, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

camping, survival, SHTF, prepping ETC. Should be all in one. Like steve said, you dont like a thread title DON"T CLICK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMO556 View Post
Voting for Donald Trump is the protest vote against: Keynesian economics, Neocon wars, exporting jobs, open borders, Washington criminal cartel, too big to fail banks and too big to jail pols and banksters.

Cutting off foreign aid to EVERY country and dismantling the police/surveillance state!

Umm yeah!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I think this thread needs a rest…..
Old 10-18-2012, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

I vote for separation. While there is definitely subject matter overlap, and I will read both sub-forums, they should be separate. And don't combine Hunting/Fishing with this forum. Again, there is overlap there also, and some read both, but there is definitely a different appeal there and a different core set of people.
Old 10-18-2012, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

I voted for one of the options, but in truth it doesn't matter too much. I'm stoked it's being officially legitimized, so do whatever is easier for you guys as admins.
Old 10-18-2012, 9:11 AM

I voted to "combine" but I don't really care one way or the other.

I'll visit in either configuration. My reasons have been stated repeatedly by others...
Old 10-18-2012, 9:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
I personally don't have an issue with such topics being combined in the existing forum, as it is easy to choose which discussions to be involved in.

However, I realize that others seem to be offended by "prepper" content, which might be a reason to create a separate section.
I agree and this is why I voted separate.
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
...However, I realize that others seem to be offended by "prepper" content, which might be a reason to create a separate section.
Another aspect isn't so much that some are "offended", but feel compelled to pose counterpoints so that newbies don't assume that such posts are - for lack of contrary input - considered factual. For that reason I chose separate in order to keep such back-and-forth nonsense out of the far more peaceful camping threads.

Last edited by kb58; 10-18-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Voted one forum. But I still dont want to see zombie crap and pms and news unrelated to long term survivial.

Current goal; become a Appleseed Rifleman.
Old 10-18-2012, 1:45 PM

I voted for all in one.

If you keep them together, people will be able to view all the topics, without the possibility of missing something that may be of interest.

There have been times, where I've been to forums and thought oh hey that looks interesting let me click in. That may not be the case if they are separate and that thread is in a sub section I don't normally have interest in.
Old 10-18-2012, 2:35 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
Voted one forum. But I still dont want to see zombie crap and pms and news unrelated to long term survivial.

And this is why we need 2 forums. Precious metals is a BIG part of prepping and being able to survive when our economy gets worse and inflation hits.

If you do not understand this about prepping, I can see why you think we need just one.
Old 10-18-2012, 3:01 PM

My opinion would be to keep it in one forum, all together, as some of the outdoors/camping info can overlap and be of use to preppers and vice versa.
Old 10-18-2012, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR310 View Post
And this is why we need 2 forums. Precious metals is a BIG part of prepping and being able to survive when our economy gets worse and inflation hits.

If you do not understand this about prepping, I can see why you think we need just one.

It's funny. PMs are quite a big bone of contention among the survivalists/preppers/SHTFers. I've read some hotly contested internet catfights between the PM warriors and those who have studied or actually been in SHTF situations where PMs turned out to be useless. Good stuff. I agree, it would be great stuff for a new forum. Entertaining reading nonetheless.
Old 10-18-2012, 4:03 PM

No David that stuff can go in ot not here. Buying pm has nothing to do with the outdoors.

Old 10-18-2012, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for addressing this issue.

I very much enjoyed the prepping threads in the outdoors/survival forum. I say just leave it the way it was and we will continue to put our prepping threads in the outdoor/survival forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 4:25 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No David that stuff can go in ot not here. Buying pm has nothing to do with the outdoors.
Well if we had a preparedness subforum, it would go there. That's why we need it to be seperate because it has nothing to do with outdoors, but everything to do with prepping.

So when we talk about the amount of precious metals to keep on hand along with cash during shtf, this belongs in ot?

What about solar panels, wind mills, generators, homesteading and off grid living?

What about biodiesel, long term food and water storage, led light bulbs to use with the above alternative power methods?

What about bug out vehicles, bug out locations, large scale long term disaster first aid and hygiene? Aquaponics, permaculture, gardening, raising chickens, goats, rabbits or tilapia?

What about soap or candle making, what about long term fuel storage?

Last edited by DavidR310; 10-18-2012 at 5:18 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 4:34 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Rechargeable batteries to use with solar panels and generators during blackouts.

How to turn your car into an emergency generator. Solar ovens. Canning. Dehydrating. Multifuel engines, ideal places to already live before shtf.

Learning a skill or trade that will be useful during shtf. Something like being an emt or having knife making skills.

What about body armor, or MURS radio? What about shortwave radio and it use with the RACES or ARES system?

What about being a CERT or Red Cross member?

NONE of this belongs in outdoors Mindwip, you are correct and this all belongs in a prepping forum. If you want one forum, like others said, just click another thread that does not talk about one of the above topics.

Last edited by DavidR310; 10-18-2012 at 4:45 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 4:50 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Being a "prepper" is not someone with an ar15 and full kevlar on sitting on a pallet on mre's, with thousands of rounds of ammo in their basement.
Old 10-18-2012, 5:44 PM

Dave, Dave, Dave, just hang out here and you'll find plenty who'll disagree... but you're right.
Old 10-18-2012, 5:53 PM

Well since "my" side is losing lol the point is mute. And i will be posting in both or one form which ever way this is decided since i like both subjects.

We have a sticky on radio's and body armor, i am happy with them here and many of the topics you listed have been posted about and no one complained. So i guess i don't see the issue to keep going as we have. I have enjoyed Kes's pruning of threads but i know not all have agreed.

Old 10-18-2012, 6:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Right, wrong, I'm just a guy who wants to have a good time

Now let me explain (how I see) what this poll is and why it needs a 3rd option.

Option 1 is saying "We are now openly accepting topics on preparedness and will just let it be posted in the outdoors forum."

Option 2 is saying "We are accepting preparedness topics, but we are putting them in there own category because we don't really know too much about prepping, but feel it does not have that much to do with hiking, camping or just hanging out outdoors.

Now the 3rd option I feel would be honest. "We don't know much about prepping and feel that at this point in time, we do not see prepping as being aligned with the direction of Calguns. Maybe in the future we will review this. As of right now, it will remain status quo."
Old 10-18-2012, 6:16 PM

My guess is your third option would take place if the vote is close and no one side clearly wins.

Old 10-18-2012, 6:28 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Actually, I feel it should be on their right now. I like to be honest and represent everyone. I know from reading other posts in the forum, not too many calgunners like the whole prepping thing and view it as a liability. I know several in the house keeping dept feel this way too.

After all this is the internet and there are entire forums dedicated to prepping. No big deal.
Old 10-18-2012, 6:35 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

All you guys voting for one forum, are not reading what Kes said

Quote:
As I see it we have two options, we can open up the 'Outdoors, Camping and Survival' sub-forum to prepping/long term survival combining discussion of all of these topics in to one forum or we can retitle the 'Outdoors, Camping and Survival' forum to 'Camping, Hiking and other Outdoor Activities' and create a separate sub-forum for 'Disaster Preparedness and Long Term Survival'.
So yeah, be prepared (no pun intended) to have a wider range of prepping topics in your outdoor forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Well since "my" side is losing lol the point is mute. And i will be posting in both or one form which ever way this is decided since i like both subjects.

We have a sticky on radio's and body armor, i am happy with them here and many of the topics you listed have been posted about and no one complained. So i guess i don't see the issue to keep going as we have. I have enjoyed Kes's pruning of threads but i know not all have agreed.
From Kes's post above he said he will use the poll in addition to consulting with staff to make a decision. I figure he's getting more data points just from the posts in this thread about how broadly or narrowly some consider long term survival and disaster preparedness.

On a timeline
Preparations - event(s) - survival

Until someone can tell us what the event(s) are, we don't know exactly how to prepare, so we make assumptions for what we think could happen and prep accordingly.

Part of whatever change happens is a definition of what is allowed in a survival/prep forum. We don't need catfights or truth police - if a thread or post has no merit, it goes away quietly. Some of the mods frustration with prepping could be having to spend an inordinate amount of time policing what should be a cooperative sub forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 7:09 PM

David, not sure if your talking to me, but i took that line to mean the same topics will be covered but they will be "approved" and not covering the WHOLE shtf topic.

Wheels

Quote:
Part of whatever change happens is a definition of what is allowed in a survival/prep forum. We don't need catfights or truth police - if a thread or post has no merit, it goes away quietly.
Yes, that's what i took option 1, better defined for what it has sorta become.

Old 10-18-2012, 7:33 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

See I am taking this as, prepping will now be an official topic of this forum and we will now allow more topics related to prepping (like pms). That is why I would not want to bother people with this who only want to know about kelty backpacks, msr stoves and mountain house foods.

So anyone care to correct me? Librarian, Kes? I need clarification help here.
Old 10-18-2012, 7:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i voted all in one. but if there is a split no problem. what i would not like to see is the political BS and the US military is out to get us and take our guns thread. that crap is old and constant posting of UCMJ, Law of War, and the Geneva Convention regulations is getting old.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 10-18-2012, 8:06 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I total agree, I would not want any political or anti-gov't posts either.

What I hate seeing is how one member can say a post about rechargeable batteries is not prepper related. Maybe they never heard of blackouts lasting more than a few hours? What about pms? What about one member posting up a deal about varmint sized targets, which would help your skill in taking small game during shft but the other member felt it was not prepper related?

I feel having a separate forum would encourage people to post more, exchange ideas and be creative. What if I started talking about well drilling (off grid/back up systems/self sufficiency) or homestead exemptions from bankruptcy which let you keep your house if you ever had to file? Would I be called out and be told this is way off topic?

I don't post that stuff here right now, because while I am no genius, I know as it stands, this is not an official prepper forum.
Old 10-18-2012, 8:50 PM

I am using this thread as an excuse to not do homework. With that said.
In the forums current or as i see it proposed state.

Rechargeable batteries, Yes belongs and discussed, camping fits
pms, No, even in prepping not much to say buy dont buy, OT, as you have noticed i have a low opion of this topic and may be biased.
deal about varmint sized targets, No, There is a hunting forum and target shooting forum, This would not belong in Either prepping or camping
well drilling, iffy in here but yes on a small scale i mean survival books do go over digging for water
off grid/back up systems/self sufficiency) Yes, talked about all the time
homestead exemptions from bankruptcy, No, not even in a prepper forum, OT

Last edited by mindwip; 10-18-2012 at 8:54 PM..