Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-20-2008, 2:16 PM
retired Goon

Default Appleseed shoots in CA.

There's three Appleseed shoots scheduled for CA.

March 8-9 in Corona.

April 19-20 in Piru.

May 3-4 in Ridgecrest.

www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 PM

Anyone going to any of these?
Old 01-31-2008, 1:08 PM

I've never been to one and I am strongly considering on going. Not sure to which venue yet though.

It would be nice to get a bunch of Calgunners to join in.
Old 02-12-2008, 7:20 PM

Hello group,I have been working out of town and was able to make the BOULDER CITY NV APPLESEED PROJECT."It was great!" Fred(from FRED'S M14 STOCKS) was there along with other APPLESEED instructors/all top notch.It sounds like a great idea having as many CALGUNS members come out to the March shoot,it was alot of fun working on getting three shots in a one inch square at 82 feet/25M.I will be at the Corona shoot/need to work on my score 195-205(a little more work for Rifleman)Here is a photo of what was handed out.

Lets do what we can to get the word out,I will be bringing 5 friends to the Corona shoot.I invite all CALGUNS members to check this out/APPLESEED PROJECT and come out,it will be a great investment,learn something(history-basic marksmanship) and meet like minded people.

thank you,

BRUNO1911
Old 02-13-2008, 3:17 PM

I actually read an article in a magazine a week or two ago about this. It sounds great. I showed my wife the article and she actually expressed some interest in it. I am planning on attending with my wife and at least one of my coworkers.

For those of you wondering what is the difference in the curriculum is between days (Saturday vs. Sunday), I asked that very question to the folks that put on this event.

Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorykid
I see there is an option to sign up for one day or for two, but what am I missing by not participating on both days (or conversely, what am I gaining by participating in both days)? Is day two a repeat of the first day?
Answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed...
If you can only make it one day, then come Saturday, all the skills etc will be taught that day. Sunday is used to reinforce what you learned and help you over come bad habits. Also, if the Appleseed you are going to attend has a long distance for us to use, you will get the chance to shoot full distance Sunday as well.
Based on that response, I am tempted to attend the Piru Appleseed so that I can get some "full distance" practice in. It's just that Raahauge's is soooo much closer.... we'll see. Either way, I will be there!

Old 02-16-2008, 2:52 AM

I'm seriously considering the piru shoot, its only a 20 minute drive for me.

Any idea how much ammo you need to bring to do both days???

Jer

PS If I do go and anyone else is coming up for both days but would rather not campout I have 2 couches and plenty of floor space.
Old 02-17-2008, 7:11 AM

You will need around 450-500 rounds for two days of instruction. For Piru, make sure your ammo does not attract a magnet!

Hope to see you there!

Don't forget to pre-register!

Last edited by Leonidas; 02-17-2008 at 3:31 PM..
Old 02-19-2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
You will need around 450-500 rounds for two days of instruction. For Piru, make sure your ammo does not attract a magnet!

Hope to see you there!

Don't forget to pre-register!
500 rounds for my .308 even with reloading would be $250+

That being the case, and the fact that I dont have a .223 or smaller bolt gun, I'll just go with the 16" A2 style AR w/ bullet button. Once I get the cash together for the ammo and the registration I will pre register.

Jer
Old 02-20-2008, 5:03 AM

I am looking to be there!!!!!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:45 PM

corona is close , i might try , though at 25m i think i'll primarily use one of the 22s to save some $$$ , what time do they start ?
Old 02-20-2008, 8:46 PM

can you use 22 rimfire for these or only centerfire rifles?
Old 02-21-2008, 2:32 PM

Anything from 22 Rimfire up to 8MM is just fine! It starts at 8:30 AM

Last edited by Leonidas; 02-28-2008 at 3:55 PM..
Old 02-21-2008, 9:42 PM

So no problem shooting .22 mag?
Old 02-22-2008, 7:55 AM

22 mag is ok
Old 03-04-2008, 8:16 PM

The first ever CA Appleseed is just about upon us!!!

Don't miss out on this opportunity....the event is almost sold out!!

Make sure you pre-reg and we will see you at Raahauge's!!
Old 03-05-2008, 9:56 AM

myself and a friend have pre-reg'd for corona ,,,, see you there with my ar-22 and a can of clp
Old 03-05-2008, 9:58 AM

oh , and i got the spee d loader for the marlin 60 as a backup rig , what a great toy !!
Old 03-07-2008, 5:41 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be there both days, I hope I don't forget my camera for tomorrow, would like to snap some photos of it.
Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction... Mark Twain

Old 03-09-2008, 8:39 PM

Anyone go to the Corona shoot??? Planning for the Piru shoot and would be very interested in an after action report...

Jer
Old 03-09-2008, 9:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys898 View Post
Anyone go to the Corona shoot??? Planning for the Piru shoot and would be very interested in an after action report...
There were a whole bunch of people at the corona shoot today.
I don't know if anyone was there from this thread though.
I was shooting the LESA match in the bays next door to them.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 03-09-2008, 9:55 PM

Just got back from California's first-ever Appleseed Shoot . . . what a fantastic instruction-packed weekend! Not only did we learn how to become a true "rifleman", (which is no small feat I assure you) but, met a great group of dedicated second-amendment folks AND got some inspiring history on the tradition of the American rifleman dating back to the Revolutionary War. Once you complete the two-day course, you'll see rifle-shooting in a whole new light! I highly recommend it!!!
--Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 AM

well said , a great program
Old 03-10-2008, 5:16 AM
Veteran Member

I'll try to get together a whole after action report, its going to take some time.

I went both days, and it was really, really, really worth it for me. I cant speak for people that have been to a professional training program, but for $111 dollars total ($71 for the class, $20 per day for the range fee) I don't think you could beat it for quality. If you have never been to a class, take this program.

The fact that the people that are putting it on are doing it for a higher purpose (protecting the 2nd, and our heritage) makes it more worth while to me.
Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction... Mark Twain

Old 03-10-2008, 8:37 AM

sweet, thanks guys
Old 03-10-2008, 1:57 PM

"The fact that the people that are putting it on are doing it for a higher purpose (protecting the 2nd, and our heritage) makes it more worth while to me "

+1000 to that
Old 03-10-2008, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Default AppleSeed After Action Report of sorts

First off let me just say thank you to all that put on this event it went off great.

With that I had a great time, learned a lot, and have a lot to work on, and have a new found respect for what I should be doing when I go shooting. If I took one thing away from this class it is that I will not be randomly shooting at paper, bricks, or cans from now on. Now I have a purpose to my shooting; at the moment it is to achieve a 210 on the Quick and Dirty AQT. That is a profound change of perspective.

I really liked the targets they used, they were fun and challenging. The “Quick and Dirty AQT” target was humbling, and the “Come As You Are Target” was great, of course there is the five one inch square targets on and 8 ½ X 11 sheet at 25 yards that they used to great effect. Now that I understand them, I know I will use them religiously to improve my shooting scores. Also I am going to be dry firing a lot and critiquing my 6 step process and getting ahead of the mental steps, so they become natural when I go to shoot.

Day 1.

Showed up, found my spot on the range, had little time to get ready, was rushing around trying to get all my stuff up close to the line, (Note to self, need wheeled cart to carry everything up to the line at once.)

Left hand shooters were placed on the right, unfortunately I'm deaf in my right ear so I wanted to be on the far right so I can hear everyone on the left especially the range commands.

Dave, the guy next to me has a beautiful M1A with forged receiver, and blue and gray stock, I forgot to take a photo of it. Best I got is one on the second day when it was windy but it was covered and you can just make out the stock. Oh well.

If I remember the order correctly class began with the story of the First strike of three strikes of a match that would spark the revolutionary war. Good story. Got me wondering what books it was coming from then they mentioned Paul Revere’s Ride on the second day
http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reveres-D...155584&sr=8-11

and 1776. http://www.amazon.com/1776-Illustrat...5155643&sr=1-1

At lunch they would tell the 2nd part of the story, and because they ran out of time, we didn't hear the last part tell the 2nd day in the morning.

After the safety briefing and the range rules they start you off with the come as you are target. Because so many people showed up we had to run Relays, half went through instruction the other half shot what they just learned.

Finally got up to shoot for the first time and I was a little nervous, didn't want to screw up. Anyways I love the way they managed the range. Its cool hearing a bunch of rifles loading by the way. Just a nerdy gun lovers observation. This might have been worth the price of admission. Unfortunately I was so busy trying to focus on what they were teaching that I didn't pay much attention to it, if and when I could hear it. The guys guns to my right were so dang load a 6.5mm and an .308 with compensator, I had to put in foam ear protection and my normal muffs so my ears wouldn't ring. To see how they managed the range go here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MRxhDMnuCUs&feature=related

They apologized for the fact that we would be drinking from the fire hose and they were not kidding I found my self having a hard time remembering steps in sequence walking back to prep for the firing line. Eventually they were coming into focus as a regimented sequence, but a lot is happening fast, and your still trying to remember the last thing they told you. I shot like crap at first, sights were low, 2 ½” low. Also found out using a .223 bullet to rotate the front sight post does not work, can someone please tell me why this is. Are there different versions out there????

Frank one of the Appleseed Range Volunteers (I think he was a volunteer) helped me out after seeing a few of my shots and I was messing up the prone sling, he comes up changes my slings position and then cinches it up and whamo, totally different experience. Light bulb goes on instantly, and the position felt incredibly solid, it was a night and day experience. I now love the loop sling method for prone, and sitting, and standing. I tried the hasty, and it just wasn't for me. Also, when I would breath, my sight would go perfectly up and down. I have never seen that before.

Frank was also kind enough to lend me his Shooting Jacket to try out and see if it helped me with the loop sling method. So much happened I cant remember which reason caused him to lend it to me. But it also made a big difference. So Frank if you read this a Big Thank You!!!! goes out to you. I am definitely going to get one of those jackets. The second day he tried to lend me a second jacket (Better one I believe) but I was bundled up with so much stuff I declined. I felt kind of bad, plus I was curious to see how I would do without the jacket.

The sitting position, I felt glued in, none of the original frustrations I had with the prone. It just felt right. Unfortunately, I cant really remember my shots, but slowly Frank was helping me bring my sights in after we went through the MOA lesson. On the second day, I couldn't for the life of me get comfortable in this position, nor get the sights high enough.

Then they did the Dummy and Ball drill, that was cool, Dave the gentlemen next to me with the cool M1A flinched a couple times squinted his eyes and once bucked. Now his shots were awesome from this drill better than normal while mine were so so when we went and scored them.

Finally we did standing. Oh my God, I had no idea how bad standing was, my sights were going all over the place and I felt like i was going to have to spread my legs from Chino to the coast to get my sights up to the target. Really had to tighten down the sling a lot, and still couldn't keep the position that stable. I need to work on this.

End of day, I shot a 156 and groups were getting better.

Day 2.

Wind, lots and lots of wind. Quartering us from the rear about about 5 o'clock and 30 MPH with 40 MPH gusts, sometimes higher it seems. Or so was the tale from people guessing how fast it was going, I had a wind breaker so I was doing good. First few shots, I was doing really tight groups, thought I would be improving for the rest of the day but after the first few rounds I was going down hill.

Since Day 1 they kept talking about the rifleman's cadence, and it felt like we were going faster on this day, and I was really trying to get my shots off with every NPOA breathing rest. Sometimes I was doing it because I had to because I took so long to set up or other problems: more of that below.

The sand was getting in the rifles and finally, the worst happened. My rifle started failing to feed. At first I thought it was the magazine so in the next round, I put that mag away, and grabbed another one. Same problem, every other round was failing to feed and my shooting went to hell. When in these positions its hard to reload because of the strap, and your trying to keep your position so your natural point of aim isn't upset. But when I had to start doing tap rack bang I was losing my NPOA, and my next shot sucked.

One of the instructors asked me if my rifle felt gritty when I cycled it, and honestly, it felt smooth, but he suggested I wipe the whole thing down and get all the grit out and keep it dry. That doing that it would work fine without lube the rifle could handle it. I didn't remember using tons of lube and it looked pretty dry when I checked it. Next round after being thoroughly frustrated I pulled the bolt out wiped it down with my bare hands, reached inside best I could and wiped the inside of the upper down, to no avail. It kept short stroking and not loading a round. I figured out it was short stroking in the end because:

a. Bolt would be closed when I was out of rounds.
b. Sometimes when doing a tap on the mag an then pulling the charging handle it would go free until the last quarter inch where it would grab the bolt and then it would load a mag.

Matt, a fellow CalGunner with a cool left handed AR two lanes over appeared to be improving, while I was going downhill. On my first and last ATQ of the day, I shot a 111. I was very frustrated.

continued below...

Last edited by aileron; 03-10-2008 at 6:23 PM..
Old 03-10-2008, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Default cont.

continued.....

Note: I was being bone headed about putting the safety on. Every so often I would forget to put it on not following the four steps because I’m chewing the mental fat on my shots and getting upset about them knowing I didn’t do as well as I would like. Instead of pulling my head out of my derrière and making sure my rifle is clear. Both days this would be a problem, but on the second it was worst. One time when my rifle was failing miserably, I would forget to go through any of the four steps tell they were ready to check them, I quickly fixed it as they were going up to check but felt like a Complete Idiot!!! I wish I could say that its because they were feeding me so much information that I couldn’t keep all the balls in the air at the same. It sure felt that way, but it was my responsibility and I kept forgetting. I felt pretty bad about it and on the drive home I was intent on making sure I created a 3 phase shooting mental checklists from what they had been preaching since I got there. Really focusing on the last phase to make darn sure I kept my safety on.

1.Preparatory mental checklist consisting off.
a.When picking up weapon, make sure pointed straight up; do not wave muzzle to left or right. (Didn’t have this problem, but you never know.)
b.Check weapon clear, and/or pull flag out of chamber.
c.Safety On.
d.Prep sling
e.Get into position
f.Finger off trigger tell sights on the target.

At this point you would dry fire from last lesson, if you had time.

2.On load command load magazine with Safety On.

3.Remember 6 steps to a good shot and go through process while shooting.
Note: It was tough remembering quickly all the steps. I would be sitting there, saying to myself “what was that next step???” Body was usually doing it but mind was behind. Though I would forget to do the Focus on Front Sight Post step a lot.

4.Unload and clear weapon
a.Bolt all the way back and locked
b.Safety On
c.Magazine released from weapon.
d.Flag in chamber
e.Ground rifle; back away and do not touch tell next prep period.

I finally left during lunch, because I was worn out, frustrated, and would rather relax and meet up with a friend who asked to talk with me about his new truck. They were going to be doing ATQ's rest of the day, and I figured Id best figure out whats wrong with the rifle and focus on my dry firings technique. I knew I could shoot better. I did learn that upsets can really mess up the shot, and getting back into the pocket or bubble can be difficult if your having problems. So that could be a good training lesson right there. Have buddy load half dummy rounds half ball in some odd sequence, and see if you can keep your NPOA at the same place when you fire your next shot.

End notes.
Things I would have liked to have seen. They had a small packet that they gave you on your first day and it would been great if they would have had cards or sheets that reminded me about some of the lessons. Like how to use the MOA, how to sling up, and how to get seated in each of the positions, prone, sitting, kneeling, and Standing. This isn't to fault what they gave you, its just that I walked away wanting to review those points later. Though I am now logged into the AppleSeed board and notice they have targets, and instructions there. Hopefully I can find it all in there.

Hope this was helpful, and I'm writing fast so forgive my misspellings, grammar, and other errors. I know you grammar Nazis are out there.

Old 03-10-2008, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoftheRepublic View Post
Just got back from California's first-ever Appleseed Shoot . . . what a fantastic instruction-packed weekend! Not only did we learn how to become a true "rifleman", (which is no small feat I assure you) but, met a great group of dedicated second-amendment folks AND got some inspiring history on the tradition of the American rifleman dating back to the Revolutionary War. Once you complete the two-day course, you'll see rifle-shooting in a whole new light! I highly recommend it!!!
I concur!!!

Everyone who enjoys shooting should do an appleseed. The staff were friendly, patient (im new to rifles) & very helpful. The even supplied rifles to people who did not bring one! I neve expected to learn how the simple & "proper" use of a sling along with properly timed breathing could enhance your accuracy. I even made some friends an plan to join them at angeles.
Old 03-10-2008, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileron View Post
Matt, a fellow CalGunner with a cool left handed AR two lanes over appeared to be improving, while I was going downhill. On my first and last ATQ of the day, I shot a 111. I was very frustrated.
Hey thats me!

I got better the second day and scored a 170..still a lot of work to do to hit the riflemans 210..Gimmebakmybullits (my brother in law) was 1 of the only 2 out of over 50+ shooters to earn the riflemans patch with a 212.

I had my tacticool viking tactical sling all readyto kick *** on day one and after an hour or two of low scoring, target missing frustration, i was loaned a basic, 10$ GI sling. I bought one at the start of day 2 and thats the best 10$ I've ever spent.

They are doing Piru in mid april, I highly recomend it! CHEAP, fun, and fast way to learn how to effectively use that rifle you spent so much $$ on

Last edited by smogcity; 03-10-2008 at 8:21 PM..
Old 03-10-2008, 9:22 PM

Thanks for the after action. One Question, How much ammo did you guys use???

Jer
Old 03-10-2008, 9:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys898 View Post
Thanks for the after action. One Question, How much ammo did you guys use???

Jer
I would not worry about the ammo.
They are shooting at like 25yds.
I would take a heavy barreled bolt action 22 to this event and be well prepared to shoot a $15 brick of ammo through it.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 03-10-2008, 9:53 PM

well, I either have to use an AR or a 10/22.

piru has steel out to 1000 but I heard they were gunna do 500yard practice on day 2.

Jer
Old 03-11-2008, 5:45 AM

Shot about 300 rounds. I would bring a semi auto, I heard from one with a bolt action that he wished he had brought a semi. The concept is "come as you are" so if you shoot 10/22, then bring it. If you shoot AR then bring it.

The big side benefit i got from the class is to use and adjust my AR under stress. I cleared jams, changed mags, did sight/rifle adjustments, did sling adjustments, and repeted the steps of safety to clear/safe the rifle, all under tight time constraints. BIG confidence builder. It would have been cheaper to shot my 10/22 but i would have missed that benefit.
Old 03-11-2008, 5:53 AM

Default One other thing!

I read in the applesead website to bring elbow pads....
I don't have elbowpads.....
I was busy at work and never bought elbow pads...
I said to myself: F it, who needs elbow pads..

I say to those going to Piru:

GET ELBOW PADS

If you don't have a shooting jacket just do it or you will have painful raw meat elbows to deal with!!!

Trust me
Old 03-11-2008, 8:49 AM

Just my observation, but I really think the best set up for the Appleseed is a 10/22 with aperture sights (I'm getting Tech Sights) and a G.I. sling. If you look on the Appleseed sight there's a whole section on this set up called the Liberty Training Rifle, (or LTR). The beauty of this little rig is that you have the same sight picture as an AR, detachable mags for mag-change excercises, and shooting 300 rounds-or-so won't break the bank! I've shot both AR's and the LTR and it just makes sense to me. Just my two cents
--Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogcity View Post
I guess you have not shot much prone before.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogcity View Post

I say to those going to Piru:

GET ELBOW PADS

If you don't have a shooting jacket just do it or you will have painful raw meat elbows to deal with!!!

Trust me
I had elbow pads and my elbows are still sore.

Not to mention my finger tips were sore and I cant figure out why, and I was tired at the end of the second day. Dead tired.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM

bring a nice big carpet to lay on , and i brought a folding table , another guy had an ez up , the 2 together were nice to have , and bring a folding camping chair !!! i only could go the first day , wished i could have done the second , on the practice aqt i had my contact lens pop out on 2 of the 4 stages , i only had 20 holes in the target but scored a 140 , i was sooo pissed i wanted a rifleman patch soo bad
Old 03-11-2008, 2:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Ive already put together my appleseed set.

1. elbow pads
2. usgi ground mat
3. ruger pc9
4. 4 magazines
5. qd swives, usgi sling.
6. 600 rounds of 9mm
7. sight adjustment tools
8. otis kit and clp
9. brass hammer

woot!

"Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization."
Old 03-11-2008, 3:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duenor View Post
9. brass hammer

Is that for sight adjustments?