Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 03-15-2013, 8:46 PM

Default Second Hand Dealer Questions - Buy/Consign Used Guns

We just got our Second Hand Dealers license . But I have a couple of questions...

1) I know when we take a gun in on consignement or buy a used gun, we have to hold it for 30 days. Is there anything wrong with us displaying the gun AND letting people check it out/handle it during the 30 days before we can actually run paper on it?

2) My understanding is that if I put a non roster handgun on consignment, I can sell it to non-LEO but if I purchase a used non roster handgun I then cannot sell it to non-LEO. Is this correct?
3636 Castro Valley Blvd #1
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 538-1686

Hours:
Tues-Sat: 11:00am-6:30pm

Elite Armory Plus
7601 W 11th Street
Tracy, CA 95304
(209) 362-2010

Hours:
Tues-Fri: 11:00am - 7:00pm
Sat-Sun: 10:00am - 8:00pm

*Follow us on Twitter and/or FaceBook for updates on what we have coming into the shop.
Old 03-16-2013, 7:31 AM

1.The shops in my area,do both. I have seen the consignment guns on display in the cases,the dealer just says that the 30 day hold is on the gun and its sell date is the end of the thirty days.
2. I think the key is if it is a consignment gun,it is exempt. If it is a shop gun,the roster still in effect.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 PM

All the places I have been to have them out with a sign or note saying it can't be sold until such and such date. I just bought a off-roster Bersa Thunder that was on consignment. They had just put it out when I seen it last month and I had to wait the 30 days before they could start DROS. They wouldn't let me start DROS on the 20th day so that I could pick it up on the 30th day sighting CDOJ saying they got upset with them so you might want to look into that. I don't see what the difference is. Thirty days is thirty days.
Old 03-16-2013, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Armory View Post
1) I know when we take a gun in on consignement or buy a used gun, we have to hold it for 30 days. Is there anything wrong with us displaying the gun AND letting people check it out/handle it during the 30 days before we can actually run paper on it?
Not that I know of and many places will sell it at the 20 day mark so that the waiting period ends when the 30 days end, BUT this also risks the money since it is possible to have an issue and then the DROS would have to be cancelled.

Quote:
2) My understanding is that if I put a non roster handgun on consignment, I can sell it to non-LEO but if I purchase a used non roster handgun I then cannot sell it to non-LEO. Is this correct?
Correct. You have to do the transfer of the consignment as a PPT and have the seller sign a DROS worksheet.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-17-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Not that I know of and many places will sell it at the 20 day mark so that the waiting period ends when the 30 days end, BUT this also risks the money since it is possible to have an issue and then the DROS would have to be cancelled.

Correct. You have to do the transfer of the consignment as a PPT and have the seller sign a DROS worksheet.
Thanks for the replies.

Just to be perfectly clear, so it is okay for customers to physically handle the used/consigned firearms before the 30 days is up?

Do all consignments get transfered as PPT? If so, is there any sales tax to collect?

When transfering as a PPT, would I just manually enter all of the sellers information into the seller portion of the DROS and have the seller sign the DROS when they come pick up their money?
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 538-1686

Hours:

Elite Armory Plus
7601 W 11th Street
Tracy, CA 95304
(209) 362-2010

Hours:

*Follow us on Twitter and/or FaceBook for updates on what we have coming into the shop.
Old 03-18-2013, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Just to be perfectly clear, so it is okay for customers to physically handle the used/consigned firearms before the 30 days is up?
Yes.

Quote:
Do all consignments get transfered as PPT? If so, is there any sales tax to collect?
If it is a handgun not on the certified list then it has to be done as a PPT. Otherwise it does not matter.

Yes, sales tax has to be collected. There is the incorrect belief that a PPT is exempt from sales tax, but that is only when the FFL does not find the buyer or seller and does not get involved in the price. In the case of a consignment, the FFL gets involved in finding the buyer and gets involved with the price, which make it subject to sales tax.

Quote:
When transfering as a PPT, would I just manually enter all of the sellers information into the seller portion of the DROS and have the seller sign the DROS when they come pick up their money?
No, not really. The seller should sign the DROS worksheet at the start of the consignment, with all the information. You can have them sign the DROS when they come pick up the money and then the DROS worksheet would not be needed. What would happen if the person wants the money sent to them as a check instead of picking up the money?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-18-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
No, not really. The seller should sign the DROS worksheet at the start of the consignment, with all the information. You can have them sign the DROS when they come pick up the money and then the DROS worksheet would not be needed. What would happen if the person wants the money sent to them as a check instead of picking up the money?
How would you do this in the instance of multiple consignments? Say someone brings in 5 non roster handguns. Would you have them sign the seller portion of the DROS worksheet and leave everything else blank including the firearm portion? Or would you fill out a seperate DROS worksheet for each non roster handgun?
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 538-1686

Hours:

Elite Armory Plus
7601 W 11th Street
Tracy, CA 95304
(209) 362-2010

Hours:

Last edited by Elite Armory; 03-18-2013 at 9:33 PM..
Old 03-19-2013, 3:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
How would you do this in the instance of multiple consignments? Say someone brings in 5 non roster handguns. Would you have them sign the seller portion of the DROS worksheet and leave everything else blank including the firearm portion? Or would you fill out a seperate DROS worksheet for each non roster handgun?
I would do 5 separate DROS worksheets, one for each firearm. You would need each one for each firearm that sells. I would not leave things blank as the person should not sign a blank DROS worksheet (but many people might).