Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-22-2016, 8:03 AM

Default Best noob-friendly shop/range in SoCal?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this.

I'm looking to purchase my first firearm. I've shot a gun once in my life at a range so I know next to nothing about them.

Definitely plan on doing some research first but I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good shop/range in the LA area (preferably close to the SF Valley but I'm willing to venture out) with a decent selection and competitive prices that's very accommodating to neophytes.

Also, any recommendations for a good firearm basics training course?
Old 08-22-2016, 8:07 AM

The Firing Line in Burbank has an excellent class for beginners. It lasts a few hours and teaches you everything you need to know about pistols and revolvers. The manager will remember you from the class and will help you out in the future.

It costs $75 plus any ammo you shoot, and you just show up by 9am any Saturday.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Ask tons of questions here and then visit Alamo Pawn in West Co or Ammo bros. I wouldn't trust walking into a shop and asking the proper questions there.

Fav caliber? Any firearms you have been considering as your main focus to obtain? Ask here, and you may just find what you are looking for here in the meantime.

Welcome in!
Old 08-22-2016, 8:11 AM

As for a shop, the best prices and selection I am aware of are at Guns Direct and Turner's. A lot of us travel to neighboring counties to do our gun purchases because there are more shops there.

Don't buy your gun until you've had range experience. It's better that you know what you want before you go to the store.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico1404 View Post
Fav caliber? Any firearms you have been considering as your main focus to obtain? Ask here, and you may just find what you are looking for here in the meantime.

Welcome in!
I'm probably looking for a reliable, nothing-fancy, compact 9mm for home defense with budget constraints. Based on my initial research, I was looking at possibly a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarish View Post
As for a shop, the best prices and selection I am aware of are at Guns Direct and Turner's. A lot of us travel to neighboring counties to do our gun purchases because there are more shops there.

Don't buy your gun until you've had range experience. It's better that you know what you want before you go to the store.
I'm definitely willing to drive to a neighboring county.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:39 AM

I think turners offers the best low-pressure, non politicized environment. There's two in san diego and though their staff is somewhat prone to FUD and a bit of mis-information, they have always been pleasant, respectful and patient with me and my wife, and any questions we have.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker033 View Post
I'm probably looking for a reliable, nothing-fancy, compact 9mm for home defense with budget constraints. Based on my initial research, I was looking at possibly a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm.

Great gun. I have one and i love it.

Baby glocks and XD9 subcompacts might also fit the purpose and budget.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:45 AM

Quote:

The smaller a gun is, the harder it is to use. Shields are for carrying, which you won't be doing as an LA resident.

A CZ or XD would be a better choice. Glock would be fine if you find you can shoot it. Many newbies can't.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:46 AM

Quote:
The smaller a gun is, the harder it is to use. Shields are for carrying, which you won't be doing as an LA resident.

A CZ or XD would be a better choice. Glock would be fine if you find you can shoot it. Many newbies can't.
I was looking at a compact because my hands are on the smaller side, I think. What's a CZ and XD?
Old 08-22-2016, 8:52 AM

Quote:
I was looking at a compact because my hands are on the smaller side, I think. What's a CZ and XD?
I could be wrong but I'd guess that even with smaller hands you will find better results with a CZ or XD

CZ 75B is a Czech full-size pistol. If you want smaller, get the CZ P-01. It is compact. Not sub-compact like a Shield.

XD refers to the Croatian pistols imported by Springfield. They are similar to a Glock but less expensive and more natural-feeling. I can't remember if they have a compact version available in California.
Old 08-22-2016, 8:56 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong but I'd guess that even with smaller hands you will find better results with a CZ or XD

CZ 75B is a Czech full-size pistol. If you want smaller, get the CZ P-01. It is compact. Not sub-compact like a Shield.

XD refers to the Croatian pistols imported by Springfield. They are similar to a Glock but less expensive and more natural-feeling. I can't remember if they have a compact version available in California.
Gotcha. What do you think about a S&W SD9VE?
Old 08-22-2016, 9:03 AM

Quote:
It's not my first choice but not bad. A lot of people get that as their first pistol and they tend to be happy with them. Decent gun considering the price.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:07 AM

Fort Courage in Simi or Addax in San Fernando. Both are great shops, with great employees that actually know WTF they are doing and talking about.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 08-22-2016, 9:08 AM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Decent for the price, horrible trigger, save a few more bucks for something better or at least plan on doing a trigger job.

RifleGear has always been helpful, bit of a drive.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:11 AM

RifleGear.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:15 AM

The hands-down favorite shop among Calguns in SoCal is 2A Zone in Rancho Cucamonga. I've never been there but everyone is in live with it.

If you want to buy your gun online and get the best possible price, go to slickguns or wikiarms and make arrangements with Aces Jewelry and Loan in West Covina to receive it. Make absolutely sure it is the CA version before you buy it. Add $25 to the price for Aces' transfer service. It's the cheapest one in LA County.

Just go and take that class at the Burbank range before you make decisions. You will learn a lot.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:31 AM

I found Guns Direct, Rifle Gear to be very newbie friendly. Turners I found ok as well [Long Beach and Pasadena].

I'll have to check out 2A Zone next time I'm out that way.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Decent for the price, horrible trigger, save a few more bucks for something better or at least plan on doing a trigger job.

RifleGear has always been helpful, bit of a drive.
The trigger is not horrible. It's a heavy trigger but not horrible like Sigma's. The stock trigger is around 8lbs. A $20 apex trigger kit will drop it down to 6lbs.

Another vote for Fort Courage Armory in Simi Valley. Great staff. I think all their guns are on consignment though.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm definitely willing to drive to a neighboring county.
OC Indoor Range in Brea is in Orange County. They have a pro shop with decent prices. They also have good instructors and offer all types of classes.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Glock 17/19
Sig SP2022
XD9
S&W SD9VE
Sheild

Price point $400-550 great starters, ample inventory and upgrades.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Glock 17/19
Sig SP2022
XD9
S&W SD9VE
Sheild

Yeah, except those are all plastic, so you've left out a major category.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We love Gunther Guns here in Carlsbad, the cleanest, nicest gun store you will ever find. Their range is also coming soon...
Old 08-22-2016, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Guns Direct in Burbank is a fantastic gun shop. The Firing Line in Burbank is a great range. The Target Range in Van Nuys (near the airport) is a range that also sells guns, and they're also pretty awesome. I'd recommend there, because you can look at AND shoot guns, and buy one all at the same time.

We just had on last week, but there's a calguns shoot at the Firing Line in Burbank the 3rd Friday of every month, 7pm to 10.

I'm a member at both the Target Range and the Firing Line, so if you want a chance to try something that hasn't been beat to hell and back as a range rental, let me know.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

We love new shooters. Work off appointments so it's 1on1 time and can show you many different models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2016, 11:31 AM

I 2nd Guns Direct in Burbank. I have been a shooter for 40+ years but had never owned a semi auto rifle in my life. Decided to get an AR a couple of years ago. The guys at Guns Direct were patient beyond belief and really took their time with me and far exceeded my expectations after first visiting Gun World down the street.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I highly recommend Guns Direct. Mike, Kyle, Palmer and the rest of the crew are great. While there, please sign the petitions, as well.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh yeah, the suggestion to take a class at Firing Line is great. It would be great if you do that first so you have more idea. But I can assure you that you will be treated well at Guns Direct, whether you are a seasoned gun owner or a newbie. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2016, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right forum for this.

I'm looking to purchase my first firearm. I've shot a gun once in my life at a range so I know next to nothing about them.

Definitely plan on doing some research first but I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good shop/range in the LA area (preferably close to the SF Valley but I'm willing to venture out) with a decent selection and competitive prices that's very accommodating to neophytes.

Also, any recommendations for a good firearm basics training course?
I can recommend TJ from AllSafe Defense: http://www.allsafedefense.com/ Full disclosure I do help instruct his beginner's handgun class. It allows you the chance to try a couple of different models and see what you like.
Old 08-22-2016, 2:13 PM
G u n t h u s i a s t
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
The Target Range in Van Nuys (near the airport) is a range that also sells guns, and they're also pretty awesome.
An incredibly nice and polite staff here, and a decent collection of rental guns.
Old 08-22-2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Glock 17/19
Sig SP2022
XD9
S&W SD9VE
Sheild

Yes this selection is a good group to research. Make sure you do exactly that RESEARCH. I did for 5 months before selecting my first firearm. Since its for HD the full size will be a great choice. The Glock19 is a great choice for use for both HD and concealment. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 08-22-2016, 2:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissiontoMars View Post
Great gun. I have one and i love it.

Baby glocks and XD9 subcompacts might also fit the purpose and budget.
Gompact Glock, but you should rent some guns and try them out first. Ohh and you can't rent guns alone.
Old 08-23-2016, 8:25 AM

Thanks for all the great recs. You guys are awesome.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Fits the definition of, "Is a gun". I owned one and was not impressed. Really bad trigger, and had to remove two useless springs to get the trigger down from 10.5lbs to 5.5lbs. Accuracy was not all that great either. But went bang every time I pulled the trigger. Best thing to do is rent a bunch of guns and see what works for you. Everyone is different, and the SD9VE might work better for you then for me. Just don't put too much stock in the interwebs some of these gun sites recieve guns from companies and are expected to give good reviews. Wish you the best and don't get discouraged if your first gun does not work out. There are plenty more to choose from. Your next post will be ,"I need advice on a large gun safe for all my new guns."
Old 08-23-2016, 3:46 PM

If you're willing to venture out just a bit, I'd suggest Island View Enterprises in Ventura, you can rent guns there and at least get an idea of what you'd like. Every last Friday of each month calguns shooter shoot free, i and I'm sure others would be willing to bring any gun to the range for you to try, just bring some ammo or buy at the range.
Old 08-23-2016, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

This thread is the first time.ive ever heard anything good about the firing line in Burbank...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria526 View Post
I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself
Old 08-23-2016, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep in mind there are some challenges with smaller compact guns...

Small guns have a short sight radius (the distance between the front and rear sight). Most people find that they shoot guns with a longer sight radius better (better accuracy).

Recoil is much more noticeable (and challenging to manage) with a smaller gun. Small guns...even 9mm's...can be very unpleasant to shoot...which wont exactly encourage you to practice. If you're thinking of going this route, definitely rent the exact small gun you intend to purchase, first, and try it. Also rent a normal size M&P in the same caliber as the Shield and compare the two. Most people recommend a full size gun to a first time gun buyer (I mean aside from the crazy salesman who just wants to sell you something).

Capacity is much less with a smaller gun...which can matter in a gun fight.

I understand the small hand issue. But definitely try a number of mid to full size guns...and try to rent several before you buy. Unless you've got super duper tiny hands, I'm betting you can find something in a full size gun that will work for you.

Good luck...and welcome to the forum!

Fighter Pilot

Last edited by L84CABO; 08-23-2016 at 11:22 PM..
Old 08-23-2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Keep in mind there are some challenges with smaller compact guns...

Small guns have a short sight radius (the distance between the front and rear sight). Most people find that they shoot guns with a longer sight radius better (better accuracy).

Recoil is much more noticeable (and challenging to manage) with a smaller gun. Small guns...even 9mm's...can be very unpleasant to shoot...which wont exactly encourage you to practice. If you're thinking of going this route, definitely rent the exact small gun you tend to purchase, first, and try it. Also rent a normal size M&P in the same caliber as the Shield and compare the two. Most people recommend a full size gun to a first time gun buyer (I mean aside from the crazy salesman who just wants to sell you something).

Capacity is much less with a smaller gun...which can matter in a gun fight.

I understand the small hand issue. But definitely try a number of mid to full size guns...and try to rent several before you buy. Unless you've got super duper tiny hands, I'm betting you can find something in a full size gun that will work for you.

Good luck...and welcome to the forum!
Agreed on all points

I started with an XD9 5" and have been working my way down ever since. Its still my go-to home defense gun with a tlr-1 tac light. Almost 10 years and thousands of rounds and nary a hiccup.
Old 08-23-2016, 6:29 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFord150 View Post
OC Indoor Range in Brea is in Orange County. They have a pro shop with decent prices. They also have good instructors and offer all types of classes.

Good luck.
Yup. Really nice folks. Lots of places to eat near them also!
Decent price for a yearly membership also.
Old 08-23-2016, 6:33 PM

I also have the S&W 9mm shield. It's a good choice.